Colorado Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Heavy equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Durango, COMay 21, 2017
It had it challenges but it was fun in I was able to fix equipment that helped the public have a safe drive and enjoyable experience in the state while traveling.
What I learned
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 12, 2017
I learned how to map police accidents in the provided systems within the company system. I become so well at doing this job I was even asked to help develop a better way of doing it. I showed them how to use a PDF system rather than using a paper system. This is still used today by this company.
Pros
Cons
The drive and traffic
No pretier territory than the State of Colorado
Engineer Aide (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 20, 2017
I worked among some very educated individuals that by example encouraged me to follow along to college. I worked in the office and field on traffic safety and engineering studies. Most interesting and learning experience I had. Great people, great state.
Great group of people to work with
Electronics Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 26, 2017
Solid group of employees. Not micromanaged my management and typically are able to work in different locations while still being home every night. Great on the job training and continued education.
Pros
Steady solid work
Cons
Benefits package is expensive
Worked as consultant to teach sign program
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMarch 23, 2017
Drove back and forth from Grand Junction to Pueblo to train staff on computer sign program. Also, updated data program and installed on several computers.
it was a good job for a high school student
Temporary Laborer for CDOT (Former Employee) –  Hayden, CONovember 15, 2016
it was a good job for me being in high school. there was good people around and we always had a good time even when the job would get stressful the cooks were never very fast but they sill did a good job
Pros
got food half price
Cons
didn't take scheduled breaks
A very nice work envioronment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 23, 2016
Work time is very flexible that you can come early and leave early. My supervisor would like to help me any time. My co-workers are more than happy to help me. The hardest part of the job is that I didn't get enough training.
equiptment operator.
transpotation maintenance 1 (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 7, 2016
I love being out side and working an various equipment. I love plowing and moving snow. If I could work in Antarctica my life would be complete.
Challenging with various different duties
Transportation Maintenance Worker III (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CODecember 9, 2015
Worked with other transportation workers to maintain all of CDOT's property within the right of way. Did shift work and was on call for any emergency that happened on the state highway system. Was required to plow snow and apply de-icers.
Pros
Working as a team
Rest Area
Customer service / Maintenance 1 tech (Former Employee) –  Alamosa, CODecember 1, 2015
loved my job out doors, customer service, plants, trees, keeping the general public notified of road conditions and up coming changes. plowed snow to help keep roads passable in adverse conditions. Gave travlers a very pleasant place of rest providing area broshures and clean facilities to visit.
Pros
wonderful work conditions
Cons
non
Bad productivity, poor workmanship
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 26, 2015
Work schedule very erratic during winter. Employees take great pride in helping the public and keeping our roadways functioning.
Poor direction in daily operation and planning.
Very little advancement unless someone leaves or moves up.
Pay is very high and benefits are good.
Very hard to get rid of someone that is unsafe or unproductive.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
unproductivity
Technician IV (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 25, 2015
I love working for CDOT, would like to stay, but there the availability in other areas. I just want to do something new.

Working in the government sector is the best thing, anybody can do. the pay is great the benefits are great.
Benefits
Cons
no cons
Good employment
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COJune 5, 2015
This position has increased my knowledge in FMLA and Human Resources. The department has provided ample training. I recommend this company.
Goog place to work
Heavy Equipment operator & Heavy hauling. (Current Employee) –  Hartsel CoDecember 3, 2014
Typical day is slow. I have gained a lot of overlay and chip seal experience. Snow plowing is the major part of winter operation. Management is new & still learning but show a lot of potential. Co- workers are very challenging at times. The hardest part to the job was learning the ever changing computer system. The most enjoyable part of the job is where we work and the areas we travel.
Pros
good pay fair benifits
Cons
long winter night work
Productive Workplace
General Labor I (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ColoradoDecember 1, 2014
I loved working here, I only had a temporary position and have been trying to get hired by them again.
Awesome job,
Electronic specialist III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 22, 2014
This career choice was the best decision I could have made at the time. Very good place to work while I was raising my kids.
Pros
Learned alot, got work with alot of new technology
Reverse Pyramid too many supervisors
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Durango, COJune 2, 2014
A great place to work when the Supervisors aren't bickering,

Lots of training to promote if you want to

Management is difficult to work with for the most part always changing your work week, then they will complain about jobs not getting done.

Don't excect a raise for at least 4 years if your lucky. You will stay at the same pay scale for a minimum of 4-10 years if you don't promote no matter what they tell you. Lots of talk and no actions.

Hiring process takes months
Pros
Fun atmosphere, Decent Benefits
Cons
No Pay Raises
Prodcutive
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 9, 2014
Its a great position for someone who likes to work alone. There is not much interaction with other employees due to working in a patrol environment.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Is a secure employment that I find satisfying.
maintence 1 (Current Employee) –  Brighton, NYApril 8, 2014
One must understand the responsibilities and the duties involved. There is public safety and teamwork ethics that should always be followed through with self respect and dignity. Communication is plays a major role among co-workers and management as well as with the public. The most difficult part of the job is working long and exhausting hours and the most enjoyable part is working with the public. I have learned ethics can play a major roll when doing ones job given me the experience and a leadership roll that provides a more positive influence atmosphere.
Benefits
Cons
Wage
productive
lead worker (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJanuary 31, 2014
Did highway striping in the summer months,Highway mantance ,snow removal,road repairs. how to drive heavy trucks,forklifts,loaders,various power tools. Coworkers were enjoyable.Management treated you with respect and were very informative. The hardest part of the job was the long hours worked when removing snow from the highways. The most enjoyable was was looking at a highway after you had just painted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colorado Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Colorado Department of Transportation Reviews by Location