Colorado Mesa University

Colorado Mesa University Employee Reviews

Housing Department Mesa State
Housing (Former Employee), GJ, COMay 17, 2015
Pros: scholarship for room and meal plan
Cons: long hours no hourly pay
A large work load required for students for a small scholarship. Student workers are asked to work overnight shifts with little support from paid supervisory staff. Demanding position with little reward when compared to other student positions available on campus. Good way to get free room and meals while required to live on campus if you are up for the long hours.
High Stress, poor treatment of faculty
Assistant Professor of Art (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COMay 15, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: Very High Stress. Heavy work load
Very poor management. Enrollment is priority, not quality education. 7 professors in the Art Department with contracts not renewed or leaving due to poor work environment in 6 years. 2009-2015. Look for more of the same. Best place for your career to die because they will take you all the way to the last semester before tenure and inform you of non-renewal in late March after all the job searches in the nation are conducted. Name changed to University without Deans heading up multiple schools. 23-26% graduation rate. Provisional Bach distinction created during a press release of raising admission standards. More than 50 percent of freshman enrolled with this status. Changes on payroll stubs such as not showing insurance employer contribution. Failed and botched faculty searches constantly. Tons of athletic scholarships and very few for anything else. All faculty senate moves to improve work life shot down by administration. Even tenured contracts are on a year to year basis. BEWARE!!!!
N/A
Adjunct Lecturer / Professor (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COMarch 5, 2015
A college with a staff of decent teachers but one lacking strong administration. Recently the college decided to hire only professors holding PhD's regardless of their experience. When it comes to teaching the future law enforcement professionals I believe those instructors should have real world experience. Many LEO's have higher ed. degrees and they should be teaching the classes.
Productive, high-paced, and informative work environment.
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: good work experience, enjoyable coworkers
Cons: not enough compensation, too much work at times
Mesa was a very enjoyable place to work at, however I was only a work study student. My responsibilities included scanning and auditing paperwork, customer service such as answering phone calls and helping customers at the counter, being informed regarding financial aid requirements, and collaborating with coworkers.
Not the best work environment.
Student Life (Current Employee), Mesa, COJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: opportunity to work with students who welcome assistance and guidance.
Cons: poor leadership, no direction, disservice to students
Colorado Mesa is not a place that I would recommend future job-seekers. Not very supportive to professionals, and work like a for profit school.
Very orderly
Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Junction, CODecember 25, 2014
On a cleaning day, I liked how my trainer was on spot and completed all of his required tasks even if he had to stay an extra while, which helped me to get in the habit of just going for it and getting tasks done and to not procrastinate on them.
Fun Workplace
Intramural Sports Official (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COOctober 21, 2014
Was a fun job to have during college. Very flexible hours and allowed me to stay focused on classes while maintaining employment.
Pays like a college
Media Asset Coordinator (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COSeptember 30, 2014
Loved working with students and loved working with the marketing team. Pay isn't competitive to the rest of the market. They really didn't know what to do with me so i ended up creating projects for myself.
Mellow work environment
Building Manager (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COJune 13, 2014
Pros: homework time, easy job
I would go into work and take payment for parking permits, faxes, head counts through out the building every hour, answering questions, and closing/opening the building

I learned how to be more comfortable with guest interaction and multi-task.

My co-workers and I learned how to work well with each other

The job was not hard

I got to do homework when no one needed anything
Fun workplace with good morals
Customer service (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COJune 11, 2014
Quality experience while continuing educational path, teaches students what is important while still letting them be creative in their ways.
Too Long
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COMay 27, 2014
Pros: worked around classes nicely
Cons: n/a
It has been over 20 years since I worked at this job so cannot really give a good review. When I did work there it was a fairly good place to work. It was a part time position while I was in school.
Good job for a student
Custodian (Current Employee), Grand Junction, COApril 26, 2014
Pros: short shift, good balance between school and work.
Cons: low pay
This job is perfect for any student. The hours are flexible, and the work isn't too hard.
A very comforting workplace, with new knowledge to gain every day.
Work Study Associate in Testing Center (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: i got work study from the job while going to school.
Cons: minimum paying job.
On a typical work day, I would log into the computer, go say hi to everyone ask about their weekends or night. Check the messages or get a to-do list going to get started off. And in a very welcoming and warming environment, do side tasks that need to be done or didn't get done the previous day. While answering the phones, taking walk ins and getting to know the customers while helping them as they come and go. My co-workers were very friendly and willing to not only help with the job and answer questions but as well be there for you as a friend. I don't particularly think there was a hardest part of the job. If I was still living up in Grand Junction I would still be working there. But the most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge and confidence the job provided me with, as well as the sense of community within the job.
Well rounded, advanced education in shale mineralogy.
Research Assistant - Mancos Shale (Current Employee), Grand Junction, CODecember 30, 2013
Pros: ample study time
Cons: none!
Work days consist of preparing dry samples from specific intervals of a drillhole for analysis using the X-Ray Diffractometer to determine bulk mineralogy (excluding clay minerals). Three samples are take from each interval. Clay mineralogy is also examined seperately in these samples and < 2 micron clay samples are prepared and analyzed without treatment, glycolated and heated.

Results are then run through the Rigaku software program so determine peak heights and widths as well as area under the curve. These results are then compiled into a report and presentation discussing the feasibility for hydraulic fracturing of the Mancos Shale.

The work is done individually as there is only one machine. The hardest part of the job, like any lab work, is accuracy and consistency. Both of which are extremely important as this data will be available to public and private parties interested in the Mancos Shale.

While the measurements each take approximately 15 minutes, this allows ample time for studies, homework and research.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant, Engineering (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COSeptember 23, 2013
A great opportunity to gain an education. Offer great student employment options.
Flexible hours for students.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COSeptember 23, 2013
Easy job while attending school. Just above minimum wage and can only work part time though.
Work outdoors and get paid: what's better?
Senator, Associated Student Government (Former Employee), Mesa, COSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: great job
I worked for Chad in the Outdoor Program and it was great. Chad is intense but profession and easy to work with.
Good job while going to school
Building Manager (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COApril 29, 2013
Graded papers, filled office supplies, made copies when needed, misc. duties. Faxes, hourly headcount, answering phones, selling bus passes, taking parking tickets, selling parking passes.
It was a fine time
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COApril 21, 2013
As a Student of CMU, working for the school was a fun and rewarding experence that allowed me to put what I learned in the classroom to practical use
Has very flexibly work hours
Sole Proprietor / Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COApril 16, 2013
Pros: being a sole proprietor
Cons: no advancement opportunities
I appreciated the opportunity to start a massage business at the Rec Center.

Colorado Mesa University Salaries