Colorado Mesa University Employee Reviews in United States

High Stress, poor treatment of faculty
Assistant Professor of Art (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMay 15, 2015
Very poor management. Enrollment is priority, not quality education. 7 professors in the Art Department with contracts not renewed or leaving due to poor work environment in 6 years. 2009-2015. Look for more of the same. Best place for your career to die because they will take you all the way to the last semester before tenure and inform you of non-renewal in late March after all the job searches in the nation are conducted. Name changed to University without Deans heading up multiple schools. 23-26% graduation rate. Provisional Bach distinction created during a press release of raising admission standards. More than 50 percent of freshman enrolled with this status. Changes on payroll stubs such as not showing insurance employer contribution. Failed and botched faculty searches constantly. Tons of athletic scholarships and very few for anything else. All faculty senate moves to improve work life shot down by administration. Even tenured contracts are on a year to year basis. BEWARE!!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
Very High Stress. Heavy work load
Fun workplace with great co-workers
Supervisor of Intramural Sports (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 13, 2016
Through working multiple semesters during college at the college that I attend, I have learned more about the balance of work/life as well as balancing school. I have also learned much about the aspects of running and directing a program, as well as how some of the key sport programs work on a college campus. The people that I had the pleasure working with were almost entirely all students as well (aside from the head of the department) and this made it very easy to get along with my co-workers. Unfortunately, when promoted in one program, the age similarity made it a little more difficult to manage some of the workers, as they see you on the same level as them. This presented a better learning experience than any other that I had come across in the past. Overall the experience in both positions at Colorado Mesa University were great learning experiences.
Pros
Great co-workers, fun environment, get to be around sports
Cons
Not many hours
A great new University with which I have helped develop a great manufacturing.
Machining Instructor (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COApril 10, 2016
As an Instructor of various manufacturing classes, there is no typical day.

The engineering students are required to take my Machining Fundamentals course. Many of the students are very intelligent, yet they are behind in applied mechanical skills. So I enjoy the challenge and seeing the grow and inspiration I provide.
Pros
Helping improve manufacturing in the U.S. and beyond.
Cons
The work is not as technical as I have a drive for.
underemployed
Custodian I (pay the bills) (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CODecember 10, 2015
Hiring based on who you know, not on knowledge.

Work with integrity everyday no matter the position

Working with others

More educated than the management

Love the students and mentor them.

The disrespect of others towards the job

The pay
Pros
continued education
Cons
good "ole boys club"
Great experience Not great pay
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 24, 2016
Working for the University is a great way to get extra spending money for college, however is not enough to support getting a degree. They work well around your hours, but only in terms of classes. if you have clinical hours to complete they do not work with them.
Pros
Hours are good, near by
Cons
poor pay
Exciting setting with professional staff
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMay 15, 2016
As an adjunct professor in the business department, I have experienced a healthy balance of autonomy and accountability. The staff does a good job of motivating its employees to do well.
Pros
The chance to teach
Cons
No parking pass
office assistant
Veterans Upward Bound Representative (Current Employee) –  Colorado Mesa UniversityMay 6, 2016
as an office assistant you get to spend lots of time working in and around students. Also get to learn a clerical job's duties, customer service based and gives you time to study for school.
Pros
study time
Cons
temporary
A typical day at work
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COOctober 18, 2015
Assisting students with homework. Tutoring students that either have a struggle with math. In- class math tutor that helped the teacher with grading, supervision of students that are taking a test, and additional tutoring outside of the classroom. I helped students with mental, physical, or learning disabilities. I also helped a veteran with mental health issues, as well as, severe learning disabilities involving reading, comprehension, and basic problem solving issues.
Pros
Seeing a student finally understand a math problem that they have been struggling with.
Cons
Only 25 hours a week work schedule.
College work experience
Camera Operator/ director Colorado Mesa Television (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 11, 2015
I created various short videos for the University's Television Channel such as interviewing professionals, short comedy videos too. The entire experience was great! I received college credit toward my Mass Communication degree.
Pros
Experience with Television process.
Housing Department Mesa State
Housing (Former Employee) –  GJ, COMay 17, 2015
A large work load required for students for a small scholarship. Student workers are asked to work overnight shifts with little support from paid supervisory staff. Demanding position with little reward when compared to other student positions available on campus. Good way to get free room and meals while required to live on campus if you are up for the long hours.
Pros
scholarship for room and meal plan
Cons
long hours no hourly pay
Event staff
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Mesa, CODecember 14, 2015
Work study job watch sports and enjoy them with your friends that attend the same school. Fun job and it is easy to qualify
Not as expected
unit manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 15, 2015
Great faculty and students. Problem is an administration which does not give priority to education. Terminates unsuspecting employees capriciously.
Fun work place, new boss was very unfair with scheduling
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Mesa, COOctober 14, 2015
Boss has his selected favorites who work every event, and the other 55 employees worked rarely. Enjoyed the costumer service aspect.
Pros
Fun, Good people
Cons
Boss
Great place to balance work and school
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Mesa, COJune 26, 2012
A typical day of work includes student evaluation and need assessment then providing educational assistance. I learned that I am a useful part of the school and student body. The management is great and easy to work with, they are encouraging and supportive. My co-workers are fun while prioritizing the work above anything else. The hardest part of the job is the low wages. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling useful.
Pros
enjoyable work, great management, and enviroment.
Cons
no benefits, only part-time, seasonal, and low wages.
Productive, high-paced, and informative work environment.
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 17, 2015
Mesa was a very enjoyable place to work at, however I was only a work study student. My responsibilities included scanning and auditing paperwork, customer service such as answering phone calls and helping customers at the counter, being informed regarding financial aid requirements, and collaborating with coworkers.
Pros
good work experience, enjoyable coworkers
Cons
not enough compensation, too much work at times
Great for Students
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 6, 2015
Working as a student assistant was great. Allowed to work on homework when we were slow, worked around class and other work schedules, and paid well.
Pros
time for homework
Cons
only allowed up to 20 hours a week.
Professor (Adjunct) (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMay 20, 2015
CMU is a wonderful University that is focused on the success of their students after they leave the school. One of my favorite things is that I continue to learn from the students and courses that I teach. I have a great time interacting with co-workers and students as well. I have developed mentor relationships with students, and watching them grow and learn is insightful.
It was a big change in my life
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COOctober 22, 2012
A tipical day at work; check in, get keys to open the custodial cleset then go to my assigned building. Start checking the closet, to see if everything is in order or if I needed supplies, then started to work. About my co-workers, I tell you I learn a lot from them, they were always available in case I needed help from them. I enjoyed working for CMU, I liked everything, from office staff to my first, second, third and four bosses. And last thing the benefits that I had were wonderful.
Pros
i used to have i long lunch time
Cons
not having ssa deductions.
N/a
Adjunct Lecturer / Professor (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 5, 2015
A college with a staff of decent teachers but one lacking strong administration. Recently the college decided to hire only professors holding PhD's regardless of their experience. When it comes to teaching the future law enforcement professionals I believe those instructors should have real world experience. Many LEO's have higher ed. degrees and they should be teaching the classes.
Pays like a college
Media Asset Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 30, 2014
Loved working with students and loved working with the marketing team. Pay isn't competitive to the rest of the market. They really didn't know what to do with me so i ended up creating projects for myself.