COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES Employee Reviews

Typical Engineering School
Student (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 17, 2017
Great school, but the chemical engineering faculty are generally unsupportive in terms of both academic help and understanding that life actually does happen outside of school work. Definitely worth it to graduate!!
Good job for a current student
Physics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 10, 2017
This job is only open to students at Mines. The professors are very understanding of your role as a student. It is much more fun and easier to manage than working an off campus job. The hardest part is fitting it into your school schedule and that sometimes the professors consider you very replaceable. The best part is meeting other students and getting to work with the underclassmen directly.
Worked as a Teaching Assistant
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJune 3, 2017
Some faculty members were fantastic - knowledgeable, loved what they did, would help with any problems. TAs are usually extremely busy during mid and end of semester - plan your time accordingly to keep up with your studies if you are a student. There are a lot of learning opportunities. Competitive salary, especially for part-timers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Expensive parking
Athletic Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 30, 2017
Great. I was only a part time employee for the Athletic Events so I don't have much to say. The environment was relaxed and the hours were flexible. The managers are very friendly as well.
Great Graduate School!
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 10, 2017
Very good graduate School. Good employer recognition. I appreciate the professors attitude to learning. This and fellow students can vary from department or research group. I appreciate the hands on skills I got there.
Decent place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COApril 15, 2017
Staff is nice but the job is vague. Students often come in for clarification on homework indicating they are learning nothing from lecture-based structure.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COApril 10, 2017
I work as an undergraduate research assistant in the MME department. My advisor and the graduate student I work for are great! Pay is decent and I basically get to choose my schedule. The only issue is maintaining consistent work each week. Some weeks there is no work that has to get done. In general, I work alone in a lab when I am working.
Pros
schedule, advisor, flexibilility
Cons
consistent hours
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  1610 Illinois StMarch 28, 2017
Worthwhile experience. Prefer Electrical Department over Mechanical Department. Being able to grade homework and exams allowed me to tutor students indirectly.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Some teachers put too much work on students who volunteer to be TAs
Great Learning
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 24, 2017
Great experience and learn a lot under the supervision of my professors. It is a really nice place to work as people are friendly and always ready ti help.
xx
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 8, 2017
Good place to work but not many opportunities of advancement in certain administrative areas. Great for Faculty and Students.
CSM is a high quality public university
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 5, 2017
CSM is a small public university located at Golden Colorado.
I have been enjoying my research experience at CSM as a PhD student because the research environment is very encouraging.
Hard, uncompensated work
Student Life Custodian (Former Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 17, 2016
Hard work and just no compensation for it. I have to say that I learned how to operate and manage machines I never thought I would handle. I dreaded going in to work because you never knew what was waiting for you in those bathrooms. Co-workers were very supportive and fun to hang around with.
Pros
Learning different cleaning techniques
Cons
Hard work and no raises
People don't leave jobs... they leave managers.
Facilities Management Project Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 18, 2016
The Colorado School of Mines is a great place to work if you don't work in the Facilities Management Structural Trades Department. The moral is low and attitudes are negative due to the traditional culture mindset created with an us verses them mentality. The manager over that department doesn't know how to treat his employees overall therefore the turn over rate is high and it is hard to retain good employees.

Having said these, everything else at the Colorado School of Mines is great.
Pros
Good Benefit Package
Cons
Poor Management
Great School
Residence Life Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 15, 2016
CSM is a great school, offering great professional development and day-to-day work environment. Working within Student Life, fresh blood is needed, but the vast majority of professionals are supportive and great colleagues.
management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Golden, CODecember 2, 2015
Work at the school of mines was fairly straight forward and simple, since it is really routine. Management belittled the new employee, me, so work was not so pleasant. Coworkers there are amazing, and everyone is very friendly, I guess I wasn't that lucky.
Pros
easy routine job
Cons
horrible management
Excellent Learning Environment
Reservoir Fluid Properties Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 29, 2015
Mentor petroleum engineering students with the physical and chemical properties of the various petroleum fluids. This job gives me the chance to further enhance my multitask-skills and my knowledge of reservoir and fluid properties.
best job ever
Head Dive Coach (Former Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 28, 2015
I got to teach students everything I know about the sport and make money doing it. I met some of the best people ever, and I got to see the country.
Pros
working at the pool was the best
Cons
The people at Mines are great, intelligent and personable.
Program Assistant - Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 12, 2015
Colorado School of Mines as a business is more concerned with its image, than in caring for its workers. The workers understand this and are happy to be a part of Mines.
Pros
Onsite Gym, ability to take classes, good benefits
Cons
Continuously adding to the daily workload, hidden expectations, and the need to be 150% in love with Mines as an entity
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 17, 2015
Good place for work. Research is competitive and professors are encouraging. Accessible to all existing mining softwares
Great Teaching Opportunity
Adjunct Faculty / Lead Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 6, 2015
Teaching field geology to petroleum engineers in western Colorado and Utah was great. Great leadership experience teaching 70+ students and coordinating 6-8 TAs and faculty.