COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES Employee Reviews

Hard, uncompensated work
Student Life Custodian (Former Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 17, 2016
Hard work and just no compensation for it. I have to say that I learned how to operate and manage machines I never thought I would handle. I dreaded going in to work because you never knew what was waiting for you in those bathrooms. Co-workers were very supportive and fun to hang around with.
Pros
Learning different cleaning techniques
Cons
Hard work and no raises
People don't leave jobs... they leave managers.
Facilities Management Project Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 18, 2016
The Colorado School of Mines is a great place to work if you don't work in the Facilities Management Structural Trades Department. The moral is low and attitudes are negative due to the traditional culture mindset created with an us verses them mentality. The manager over that department doesn't know how to treat his employees overall therefore the turn over rate is high and it is hard to retain good employees.

Having said these, everything else at the Colorado School of Mines is great.
Pros
Good Benefit Package
Cons
Poor Management
management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Golden, CODecember 2, 2015
Work at the school of mines was fairly straight forward and simple, since it is really routine. Management belittled the new employee, me, so work was not so pleasant. Coworkers there are amazing, and everyone is very friendly, I guess I wasn't that lucky.
Pros
easy routine job
Cons
horrible management
Excellent Learning Environment
Reservoir Fluid Properties Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 29, 2015
Mentor petroleum engineering students with the physical and chemical properties of the various petroleum fluids. This job gives me the chance to further enhance my multitask-skills and my knowledge of reservoir and fluid properties.
best job ever
Head Dive Coach (Former Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 28, 2015
I got to teach students everything I know about the sport and make money doing it. I met some of the best people ever, and I got to see the country.
Pros
working at the pool was the best
Cons
The people at Mines are great, intelligent and personable.
Program Assistant - Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 12, 2015
Colorado School of Mines as a business is more concerned with its image, than in caring for its workers. The workers understand this and are happy to be a part of Mines.
Pros
Onsite Gym, ability to take classes, good benefits
Cons
Continuously adding to the daily workload, hidden expectations, and the need to be 150% in love with Mines as an entity
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 17, 2015
Good place for work. Research is competitive and professors are encouraging. Accessible to all existing mining softwares
Great Teaching Opportunity
Adjunct Faculty / Lead Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 6, 2015
Teaching field geology to petroleum engineers in western Colorado and Utah was great. Great leadership experience teaching 70+ students and coordinating 6-8 TAs and faculty.
Wonderful work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMay 28, 2015
A typical day would consist of a meeting with my supervisor to briefly review the work I completed and to discuss what needs to be done next. From there I would prepare samples for various experiments or conduct various experiments and gather data. I would keep a detailed lab notebook detailing what I had done so the experiments could be reproduced if necessary. My supervisor would always listen to my suggestions and either take them under advisement or suggest an alternative in a very respectful way. The hardest part of the job was scheduling time to use equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job was analyzing the data collected and making conclusions based on the results.
Good
REU Intern (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMay 28, 2015
Had a great time working in the REMRSEC labs. Learned a lot and had a successful REU internship focusing on thermoelectric materials.
Excellent college work study job
Thin Section Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COApril 13, 2015
A work study job I had for all of junior and senior years, as well as summer. Normal duties include cutting, grinding and polishing rock and core samples for making thin sections. I also had numerous other responsibilities, including saw and lab maintenance and Scanning Electron Microscope maintenance. I had an excellent boss who was very flexible with my schedule. The most enjoyable part was being able to work around my college schedule. I have no complaints about this position.
Pros
Very flexible
cozy place to work with nice people around
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  GoldenMarch 28, 2015
I enjoy learning and working with people at Colorado School of Mines. The utility needed for solving industry-related problems is fully provided. However, a lack of hands-on experience is a major setback in our program.
Pros
Free Recreation Center and great atmosphere to develop one's creativity
Great Opportunity for any college student
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 17, 2015
Great benefits in terms of networking, time management development, professional communication development, and learning to work well with others.
Pros
Room and Board is provided
Cons
Takes up a lot of time for a college student
Great Engineering College
Student (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 2, 2015
Great engineering college. I learned not only the literature, but it also let you have a hands-on experience on your degree.
Great hands on fork for an undergraduate job
Chemical Engineering Lab Assistant, Golden GO (Current Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 24, 2015
Was able to learn a lot and apply things I have learned in the classroom to help build a lot of interesting things for the Chemical Engineering Department. I gained a lot of knowledge about membranes, assembling distillation columns, wiring systems to a control box, etc. I was able to work when I didn't have class and I would stay all day because I loved building things and the guy I work for is a great teacher but also gives me a lot of free range to do what I think is right.
Need more labs in electrical field
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brown hall buidlingDecember 19, 2014
CSM is a really great but a little small in electrical engineering. Its EECS department needs to be developed by having more labs and professors.
Great School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 29, 2014
Great School for geoscience and engineering
highly recommended for anyone who wants to pursue careers in energy sector
Training underground mine
Mine Foreman (Former Employee) –  Idaho Springs, COOctober 24, 2014
Underground training facility from Colorado School of Mines
Pros
flexible hours
Teaching and Research Assistant
Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 6, 2014
Help with teaching logistics
Research relevant topics
Gather data

Time management is the hardest part of the job
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you gain extra knowledge while helping with different subjects, and can't beat the outdoor possibilities here in Golden, CO right next to the Rocky Mountains and Clear Creek.
Pros
Highly respected instiution in Colorado and in Western American
Perfect university to study
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 17, 2014
A perfect public university focuses on engineering, such as chemical engineering, material science, petroleum engineering, and geophysics.

COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES Reviews by Location