Colorado Springs Utilities Employee Reviews

Great Position, Lacking opportunity
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 22, 2015
Colorado Springs Utilities offered a great compensation, and a strong and friendly group in management to work with. However, it was near impossible to move up, or become permanent within the company, and for hourly employees they lacked flexibility with monthly schedule changes required.
Excellent company
Laborer/Bag (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 5, 2015
Pros: educational on a daily basis
While working in hazardous conditions I always felt safe and that I could trust my coworkers due to very strict safety proceedures. Very organized.. It is so refreshing to work for a company who gives back to their employees.
Excellent staff and work environment.
Engineering Support Intern (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJanuary 17, 2015
As my first full-time job, I didn't know what to expect, but with my co-workers and the atmosphere in the office I enjoyed coming to work.
supervisors and management have no integrity and make your life a nightmare
former employee customer service and field support (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 29, 2014
Pros: great medical benifits
Cons: you are micromanaged, ever second must be accounted for bathroom breaks any thing
no matter how hard you work for these people ( its a clique ) if you don't brown nose you are not ever going anywhere .. the jobs are dead end and they always hire retired friends who receive PERA they get all the good jobs that suddenly become temporary but last for years... nice work is always available for their friends.. the management is not trained in proper management techniques in fact they are all strategically placed in management positions so that they may draw the highest retirement from PERA , theres many who had purchased retirement years and Ill be surprise if theres a single one who actually worked 15 or 20 years ..if you question their treatment of you or turn their actions over to the filty dirty HR dept youll be even more sorry ..then they help your supervisor or manager find ways to harrass you into quitting while at the same time trying to project a healthy work place thats full of upward advancement...unless kissing up during and after work hours apeals to you dont bother with this place its run by a good ole boy system that is never going to change until another utility comes and takes control ....
Fast paced, dynamic, 24 hour a day work place.
Control Operator for Water and Gas Departments (Former Employee), Colorado Springs ColoradoOctober 3, 2014
Pros: the pay.
Cons: management was sneaky, dishonest and always out to get the employees.
Worked twelve hour rotating shifts.

Working rotating shifts was brutal on my body. The supervisor was very dishonest, sneaky, did not perform her duties and then would castigate us for not performing our duties, but how could we with no supervision?
Great place for a career
Business Systems Analyst Lead (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: potentilly great income
Cons: tons of work the never ended
Daily diversity. Learned a lot about people and the utility industry. Management was difficult to understand a times. Great co-workers and team mates. Supervising others was the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable was the verity of people and the team work for getting assignments accomplished.
Good employees, poor management and Human Resources Department
CSR (Current Employee), CCCSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: good employees
Cons: poor management.
Service customers
Listen to complaints and try to resolve
Have nice equipment
Coworkers are nice.
Hardest part is being yelled at or threatened by customers
Being able to help a customer out is the best.
Room for advancement, tons of incentives and very comfortable, professional environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 11, 2014
Pros: room for advancement, tons of incentives and very comfortable, professional environment
Cons: n/a
This is one of the best companies I have worked for, all together. The environment was professional, friendly, and fun to work in. The Management team was outstanding, and the trainers were the best. Overall, hands down, I would highly recommend this company to anyone, looking to work with their community, have stability, and tons of room for advancement.

This is a five star company.
Productive and Professional work place
Ash and Material Handling/ Truck Driver (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMay 8, 2014
Pros: good set hours
I would start my day with a daily meeting to review all aspects of our teams day. Secondly, we would inspect amd maintain our equiptment.We would drive numerous load and deposit them. Next, we would clean and repair the pug mill. Lastly, we would clean up and go home.
Laborer
Collection/Distribution Field Specialist (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, ColoradoApril 27, 2014
The job changes from day to day. What I learned from this job will last me a life time. Management and co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was when I had to relocate. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I made a difference.
good organization to work for
Sprinkler System Technician (Former Employee), Colorado springs coOctober 9, 2013
worked as sprinkler tech. Enjoyed working outside, enjoyed expanding my knowledge of commercial sprinkler systems. Great supervisor, was hands on kind of guy, willing to share his knowledge with his staff. Good work/home balance.
Up to date network technology
Telecommunications Sr, Network Engineer (Current Employee), Colorado SpringsAugust 6, 2013
Pros: lots of new technology to be involved in and maintain.
Cons: small work force
Design, install and maintain a Cisco network. Responsible for large facility network projects. To include new Water / Waste Treatment Plants and Power Plants network.

Some of the challenges was coordinating all the projects with the day to day failures and updates.

Worked with a small group of individuals that could come together and make the network run very good.

Learned how to juggle many projects and cases at once and maintained one of the highest customer satisfaction scores consistently.

Some of the best parts of the job is being involved in the communications of the different parts of the utilities, Electric, Gas, Water & Waste Water.
Excellent job stability / mediocre leadership
Anonymous (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJune 13, 2013
Pros: job stability and retirement program
Cons: mediocre leadership
Excellent job stability (no layoffs). Managers and leaders are promoted on how well they manage up not manage down. Result is they spend all their time kissing up and not leading. Touts being all about continuous improvement but reality is they'd prefer you not ask questions and just do as you're told.
Excellent work environment and co-workers
Senior Instrumentation and Controls Specialist (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 18, 2013
• I developed a comprehensive preventive maintenance program at the FVA facility including detailed job plans and SOPs which enabled all operations & craft disciplines to effectively meet the operations and maintenance needs of the organization.
• I served as project manager on the $825K SCADA and the $1.2M Motor Control projects at the FVA complex. My duties included, but were not limited to:

o Selection of and direct supervision and management of all contractors associated with the project
o Prepared budget proposals and presented them to the FVA Board of Directors for budget approval
o Worked with purchasing on negotiating all vendor contracts
o Processed invoices, negotiated change orders, and mediated contract disputes
Micromanaged everything with no direction
Senior Electric Distribution Control Operations (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 7, 2013
No written procedures, ambiguous verbal procedures that get you constantly in trouble, insular and discriminatory management
Work at CSU
Maintenance Contractor (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 5, 2013
Pretty laid back. Lots of variety to your day. I worked as a contractor.
Very Employee oriented company .Great place to work.excellent Benefits
Customer Service Representative Company (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COOctober 3, 2012
Pros: great health benefits
Cons: lack of employee appreciation.
Customers calls and handleing of orders, high bill questions, payment arrangements, return mail processing and address updates.

Learned very much and how to assist customers and to calm customers with a positive out come.

Managers / Supervisors are very good and usually available to assist when needed.

Co-workers are great bunch of people. Enjoy each person and what they brought to the day.

Hardest part of the job was the raising of the bar and company wanting the speed on each customer interaction to be faster.

Most enjoyable was working with the customers!
Nice Working Culture
FI/CO Consultant (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COAugust 25, 2012
Working on Contract so No benefits for me but Overall is Good.
Good People but little opportunity and poor management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 10, 2012
Great place to gain experience as well as great people to work with. As is the case with a lot of places, management is out of touch with reality. Many of the drivers for them is for their own good. There is no accountability for management. Communication is handled through emails and all hands meetings. There are some who try to know employees, however, it's not very authentic. They also need to practice what they preach. However, I know a lot of places suffer from this. While the hiring process is cumbersome, they typically already know who they are going to hire. Many of us could actually determine who would get the job in about 90% of the cases. Work/life balance is very good, but the job gets boring fast and there's not many opportunities to gain new experiences and knowledge. If your happy with doing the same thing day in and day out for years on end, this would be a good job for you. Not that that's bad, but not for everyone either. If your a go-getter, you won't like it. If not, it may be for you.

About Colorado Springs Utilities

Colorado Springs Utilities is a community-owned utility that provides reliable natural gas, electricity, water and wastewater – Read more

Colorado Springs Utilities Photos