Columbia-St. Mary's Employee Reviews

Employer of 3 Hospital and 25+ Clinic locations
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 8, 2017
My role with Columbia St. Mary's evolved over my career. Developed into a Corporate office to administer benefits for entire organization that was based in Wisconsin. I was 1 of 4 Benefit Specialist.

Administered all benefits - primary contact on retirement plan, new hire orientation, tuition reimbursement. Enjoyed variety of tasks and working with co-workers to create a strong Benefits team.

Benefits Manager was well educated and wonderful mentor. I truly loved my job and career advancement.

After almost 28 years, job was eliminated.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Intake Coordinator/Inpatient Care (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 11, 2017
Columbia St. Mary's hospital stands committed to help the under served and the most in need. The MD, RN, CM and supporting staff are compassionate and really do care. I loved going to work everyday truly.
Pros
Excellent professional work environment
Cons
Productive place to work, with great staff and seasoned nurses.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 17, 2016
Nurse manager friendly, helpful, and always available as a resource. Staff nurses very knowledgeable and experienced.
Pros
Great work environment.Well-staffed unit.
Cons
None!
Great Place to workl
Director of Case Management (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 31, 2016
CSM is a Christian facility that take care of the patient's and their staff. They focus on helping the poor and underserved communities
Pros
Assiting the vulnerable
Cons
Employee engagement is lacking
Working in a tense environment
Housekeeping Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2016
Working within Columbia St. Mary's is a task, the job is very self explanatory; it's just how management go by accessing the job for you. They make the job harder than it really is and they don't really hear you out when you have a better way of getting the job done. The nursing and doctor staffs are pretty good people to work around. Although, the job title is bed making, it may as well be Maintenance instead. They have to many chiefs and not enough Indians. The good part of working the job is when you can get the doers to help and the I don't want to's or that's not my job to team up with the doers. When we stick together with the employees and work well along side management we tend to have a good work day. I've learned through it all being obiedient to your authority takes you along way as well as respect and love.
Pros
They'll send out for lunch or have some refreshments
Cons
Trick you into working overtime then take a regular workday from you.
enjoyable work place
Medical Surgical Unit Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 5, 2016
Assisting caring for a variety of patients with a multitude of illness.
Taking vitals Daily
Assessments Daily charting
Providing patient education
medication administration
Great colleagues
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 3, 2016
Case Managed in several areas of the hospital. Duties included Utilization Review and discharge planning. Areas were: Orthopedics, Medical Surgical, Oncology, Cardiac, Long Term Mechanical Ventilation, Outpatient and Physician offices and the Emergency rooms.
Pros
Excellent learning environment
Cons
Off campus parking
Nice Hospital views from patient rooms
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 1, 2016
Good company to work for but communication throughout the system is very poor; many departments are out -sourced disconnected.
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
Difficult to get vacation time off
Control center operator
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 24, 2016
Answer calls and direct them to proper person, radio control monitor cctv, make secutiy badges monitor enterance of the hospital. Write reports and log daily activities.
Pros
WORK ENVIRONMT
Cons
MANAGMENT
great place to work
Medical Transcriptionist Quality Assurance Editor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 24, 2016
I was able to gain a lot of experience being hired as a new graduate in medical transcription. Great group of managers and coworkers.
Good job; developed many skills
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 29, 2015
I really enjoyed working at CSM. I had managers that really helped me develop and learn. I was always involved in projects and was able to put my organization skills to use. However, there was really no where for me to move up to. Once my former managers left, I got a new manager who did not continue to help me develop and eventually, my position was eliminated. My prior managers were very good at allowing time off and were very aware that we had lives outside of work. They had a very good medical plan, and other benefits like dry cleaning pick ups and drop offs at work.
Pros
Good medical plan; Some managers really take an interest in your development
Cons
Some managers micro-manage
Good for the experience, but not long term
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeDecember 24, 2016
Pharmacy department: Always lots of work to do. Some days are absolute chaos- tube station goes down every week, resulting in missing meds/not enough staff to handle volume of medication that has to be hand delivered/ nonstop calls by nurses for their meds. It's frustrating and again, happens every week. Techs and pharmacists must work every other weekend. Days off are not consecutive. Work/life balance needs improvement. Benefits are not great, 403b with match up to 3%, would be better if 6%. You can get a discounted Fitbit through insurance. Pharmacist pay has 120k ceiling. Do Not expect increase over time! Technician pay is not equal across the board- some make 25k, while others make 50k+, most make around 30k. They employ many technicians who are full time students or not certified, call ins are very frequent-once or twice a week. Management goes on vacation frequently. Staff tends to be cliquey and disrespectful to new people, so establish friends quick or you might not make it very long. We lost 3 pharmacists and 4 technicians this year because they found better opportunities or were plain sick of CSM and retired early. I expect 2017 will have similar turnover. After awhile the unprofessional environment wears you down. Get your experience here, then get out.
Pros
Cons
Interrupted breaks, management, pay, technology, staff attitude
A great place and staff are smiling love there jobs,
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, WISeptember 25, 2015
The job was fun the staff I worked with were Happy willing to work with you.My Boss was very open to new ideals and very supported in what you did.My Boss always said that I always had a smile even if I was not having a good day.
Pros
A good stable empolyment.
Cons
New C/O said that they needed to cut down on cost of Management.
I learned more at this job then any
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 12, 2015
My experience at St Mary's changed my life I felt like I was with my family the co workers were the best. My manager was not as forth coming he tried to keep me from advancement. But the overall experience was the best if I could i would go back and work there.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Great workplace with great patient care
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 30, 2015
At Columbia-St. Mary's I started my career in Radiography. I learned the value of patient care and patient satisfaction here. A great place to learn valuable tools that can be used for as long as I am in the medical field. Supportive staff and coworkers make this a great hospital to be a part of.
the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers, enjoying their conversations, and mostly my co-workers.
food service associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 23, 2015
I enjoyed the workplace and environment, I enjoyed the customers and co-workers were so friendly and worked well with eachother. Management was the only thing I had a problem with, needed better management.
Great co-workers, and skilled, life-saving nursing staff. I would trust them with my life.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  mequon, wiApril 21, 2015
My co-workers and patients were the best part of the job. The management was always under construction, and the most important thing to most managers was money. Not much loyalty to nursing staff, and managers didn't stick up for their staff.
Pros
Over-time, Paid holidays, team work
Cons
Expensive benefits, poor management, money-driven company
Stressful work environment with a high turnover rate
Surgery (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2014
Columbia St. Mary's is in a transition period (ie. computer systems, management turnover). Not sure if they have the right leadership for these transitions. Employees often feel that they are working with a bulls eye on their backs. Many long term employees have been relieved of their jobs recently, and their replacements have no where near the experience. The job environment was extremely stressful.
Productive, Professional and Positive
Representative Customer Service OB/GYN Clinic (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2014
short staff - working front desk by yourself at times when you have patients with appointments and walk ins, trying to keep everyone calm while being professional and patient, then your have phones ringing constantly. Very tough at times you want to throw the towel in at times, but I have to remember that patient care in my number one concern, this could be my family out there needed services.
Once I think like that it makes my job worth giving my best.
Pros
Showing up everday
Cons
no breaks to busy -
horrible work environment
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2013
great building horrible place to work, management confused everyone walking on egg shells not to get fired or laid off. I was the first point of contact, The co-workers were the hardest part of the job everyone afraid they would lose their job would do ANYTHING to keep it including lying on one another. Management just took that a face value, I worked for this company for five years, this was a horrible experience. Be very careful while working here company may not be around to long subbing out most positions big money problems
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia-St. Mary's. Our community is ready to answer.

Columbia-St. Mary's Reviews by Location