Columbia-St. Mary's Employee Reviews

required internship for school
Internship (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 18, 2017
I was at St. Mary's hospital for clinical experience and internship while in school. I really enjoyed my experience at this company. I don't have knowledge or experience as an employee of this company.
chaotic, not well managed
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 29, 2017
high stress, inadequate staffing constantly, poor management
enjoyed helping others especially patient families
wasn't competitive with other hospitals procedures for department
benefits
Cons
management
Columbia St. mary's
Registration/Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 18, 2017
it was pretty busy management was fair things could be messy with employees patients and understanding micro managed things could be a challenge but ok to ask questions refer to your references
Ok Company, better insurance....
PC Refresh Technician (Former Employee) –  Glendale, WIJuly 11, 2017
Its ok depending on who you are working with. As with any job requiring working with a variety of different personalities. The management is ok though.
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Low pay
Productive and fun work place
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 28, 2017
Good clean environment to work in with Columbia-St.Marys there is a chance for growth, you will also have a chance to work with exceptional caring staff
Pros
Great work place, friendly staff
Cons
Nurse shortage
Loved My Time here
Surgical Technologist/First Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 28, 2017
Columbia-St. Mary's was a great place to work. I worked there for almost 20 years. I would highly recommend this employer to anyone currently looking for a great hospital.
Excellent Facility with opportunities to learn.
Staff Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 24, 2017
Working on a busy Med Surg floor gave me plenty of chances to improve my skills with a variety of patient populations and conditions. Management was always able to assist with workplace issues. The culture of my unit fostered learning and teamwork.
very busy ,patient centered work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 20, 2017
very busy, patient-centered work environment. The absolute most enjoyable part of the job was handling patient account inquires and getting to know many patients as true friends for over 17 years of employment there. I learned so much about medical billing and coding and will always remember the great patients that CSM has.
Pros
patient interaction
Cons
not many, really, except for the extremely busy work environment
Work Place Culture
Reimbursement Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 1, 2017
The company is service orientated and there are a lot of different areas to focus on for advancement depending on where you would like to work within the organization.
basic
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 12, 2017
No room for advancement. But there was tuition reimbursement to advance in your education. I loved the patients and people I worked with but the poor management left little to desire.
Pros
location
Cons
no advancement opportunities

Want to know more about Columbia-St. Mary's?

Ask a question
Most enjoyable part of the job
Intake Coordinator/Inpatient Care (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 11, 2017
Columbia St. Mary's hospital stands committed to help the under served and the most in need. The MD, RN, CM and supporting staff are compassionate and really do care. I loved going to work everyday truly.
Pros
Excellent professional work environment
Employer of 3 Hospital and 25+ Clinic locations
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 8, 2017
My role with Columbia St. Mary's evolved over my career. Developed into a Corporate office to administer benefits for entire organization that was based in Wisconsin. I was 1 of 4 Benefit Specialist.

Administered all benefits - primary contact on retirement plan, new hire orientation, tuition reimbursement. Enjoyed variety of tasks and working with co-workers to create a strong Benefits team.

Benefits Manager was well educated and wonderful mentor. I truly loved my job and career advancement.

After almost 28 years, job was eliminated.
Great Place to workl
Director of Case Management (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 31, 2016
CSM is a Christian facility that take care of the patient's and their staff. They focus on helping the poor and underserved communities
Pros
Assiting the vulnerable
Cons
Employee engagement is lacking
Good for the experience, but not long term
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeDecember 24, 2016
Pharmacy department: Always lots of work to do. Some days are absolute chaos- tube station goes down every week, resulting in missing meds/not enough staff to handle volume of medication that has to be hand delivered/ nonstop calls by nurses for their meds. It's frustrating and again, happens every week. Techs and pharmacists must work every other weekend. Days off are not consecutive. Work/life balance needs improvement. Benefits are not great, 403b with match up to 3%, would be better if 6%. You can get a discounted Fitbit through insurance. Pharmacist pay has 120k ceiling. Do Not expect increase over time! Technician pay is not equal across the board- some make 25k, while others make 50k+, most make around 30k. They employ many technicians who are full time students or not certified, call ins are very frequent-once or twice a week. Management goes on vacation frequently. Staff tends to be cliquey and disrespectful to new people, so establish friends quick or you might not make it very long. We lost 3 pharmacists and 4 technicians this year because they found better opportunities or were plain sick of CSM and retired early. I expect 2017 will have similar turnover. After awhile the unprofessional environment wears you down. Get your experience here, then get out.
Pros
Cons
Interrupted breaks, management, pay, technology, staff attitude
Productive place to work, with great staff and seasoned nurses.
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 17, 2016
Nurse manager friendly, helpful, and always available as a resource. Staff nurses very knowledgeable and experienced.
Pros
Great work environment.Well-staffed unit.
Cons
None!
enjoyable work place
Medical Surgical Unit Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 5, 2016
Assisting caring for a variety of patients with a multitude of illness.
Taking vitals Daily
Assessments Daily charting
Providing patient education
medication administration
Working in a tense environment
Housekeeping Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2016
Working within Columbia St. Mary's is a task, the job is very self explanatory; it's just how management go by accessing the job for you. They make the job harder than it really is and they don't really hear you out when you have a better way of getting the job done. The nursing and doctor staffs are pretty good people to work around. Although, the job title is bed making, it may as well be Maintenance instead. They have to many chiefs and not enough Indians. The good part of working the job is when you can get the doers to help and the I don't want to's or that's not my job to team up with the doers. When we stick together with the employees and work well along side management we tend to have a good work day. I've learned through it all being obiedient to your authority takes you along way as well as respect and love.
Pros
They'll send out for lunch or have some refreshments
Cons
Trick you into working overtime then take a regular workday from you.
Nice Hospital views from patient rooms
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 1, 2016
Good company to work for but communication throughout the system is very poor; many departments are out -sourced disconnected.
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
Difficult to get vacation time off
great place to work
Medical Transcriptionist Quality Assurance Editor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 24, 2016
I was able to gain a lot of experience being hired as a new graduate in medical transcription. Great group of managers and coworkers.
Control center operator
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 24, 2016
Answer calls and direct them to proper person, radio control monitor cctv, make secutiy badges monitor enterance of the hospital. Write reports and log daily activities.
Pros
Work environmt
Cons
Managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia-St. Mary's. Our community is ready to answer.

Columbia-St. Mary's Reviews by Location