Columbia College Chicago

Columbia College Chicago Employer Reviews

Awesome experiences
Student Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2014
Pros: great team and lots of experience.
Cons: technical difficulties, challenging deadlines.
During my time as a student at Columbia College Chicago, I learned a lot. I was not an employee but I was a student. The experience of working a live news show was just like working in a real newsroom. It was fast paced, energetic, hectic and overall a great experience that I believe has prepared me well for a career in television. For every live news – more... show, we picked stories and split responsibilities of writing, editing, cutting teases, doing SOT'S and VOSOT's. Before a show, the classroom was typically very busy with some people writing and others cutting video or working or loading the shows into the computer. I worked with a great, talented group of individuals and alternated duties throughout the weeks of the semester. The hardest part of the job was technical difficulties with shooting and editing and having to put everything together with a tight deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing what I love most-performing. There was nothing more rewarding than anchoring or reporting and knowing that people enjoyed it. I truly feel ready and think that experience shaped me for the best. – less
incredible school, incredible opportunities
Music Business Student (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
Columbia had so many opportunities for students who were looking to excel in their careers. There are tons of resources available for working on job searches, resumes and cover letters. All of the teachers were talented and resourceful and wanted you to succeed.
Great part time teaching GIG
Adjunct Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2014
Pros: great school
Cons: i commute from huntsville alabama every week.
One of the best animation schools in the country. Their approach to traditional animation is top notch.
Great School and Organization to work for
Admissions Counselor/National Recruiter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2014
Best part of the job was being able to travel and meet new people.
Practical, forward-thinking training.
Follett Fellow (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2014
Pros: practical experience, sense of community.
Cons: cost is above median.
Columbia chose me for the Follett Fellowship, which covered my entire tuition expense for the MFA program. Based on the strength of my writing portfolio, I was given the opportunity to work one-on-one with visiting novelists, agents, and editors. What Columbia offers is real-world training for the circumstances writers will face when they graduate and – more... move on.
The total immersion in the writing life that Columbia creates is what spurs fast growth in the skill, judgment, and critical ability of its writers. Weaknesses, cliches, and the common flaws of new writers are culled with speed and grace.
The student who handles the rigors of the MFA program will emerge as an enriched, productive writer ready to handle today's changing job market. – less
Honor to work at the college
Academic Advisor Office (Former Employee), Chicago IllnoisMarch 13, 2014
Typical day with assisting my supervisor in office. I would deliver files to the records office and to the advisors. Files paperwork and assist student with graduation application.
Admin Job loved it.
Marketing Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: basic work load.
Cons: n/a
Working on the web page, calling students, filing, emailing foundations.
Wonderful school!
Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2013
Great people. great teachers, great environment, great place to be and learn!
A great place to get an Education
Associate Professor - Film/Video (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2013
Pros: diversity of subjects, people and opportunities
Cons: teachers union
Diversity of subjects, people and opportunities
Anything you'd want to learn is right there
Solid Managers for the most part with a drive to educate
Hardest part - Open Admissions policy
Best thing about it seeing people learn from your work efforts
great place to work.
Art Preparator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2013
Wonderful supervisor.
Great place to network.
Fun.
Easy access on a train.
Science and Exploration
STEM Researcher & Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2013
If you're a teaching candidate, leadership, curriculum and instruction specialist, or instructional designer looking for opportunities in STEM education programs, then Columbia College Chicago's Science Institute might be the place to "cut your teeth" in. I had practically no experience with teaching STEM-related subjects but learned an abundance of – more... great interdisciplinary strategies while working for the program for nearly 2 years. The greatest challenge is probably learning higher level mathematics and science if you're not strong in those subjects. For me this was easy my challenge was in convincing young learners that learning and doing STEM-related projects is actually fun! – less
A ethnic atmosphere
Student Worker Receptionist (Former Employee), ChicagoJuly 29, 2013
Pros: lots of connections, great staff
Student employment is a great way to make money while on campus and working on your degree. They work around your classes so work and school don't become one bug hassle. There are many departments to work for and each with their unique staff.
Part-time Accounting Teacher
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2013
I loved working for Columbia. I had a great boss who was very understanding. He completely trusted me with my class and I never encountered any resistance from him.
Engaging Internship in Which my Opinions are Valued
Ms. Fit Magazine Editorial Intern (Current Employee), ChicagoJune 6, 2013
I work primarily from home, which saves me a considerable amount of travel time and cost, as well as allows me to create my own hours. I have a lot of freedom like that in this internship because my employer trusts me to do a good job.

This is an editorial internship, so I edit two to three pieces for our quarterly magazine. For our last issue I worked – more... with four different editors, adding my opinions to their conversation with authors. All the editors I worked with were impressed with my diligence, so this issue I'm working alone with two contributors, as well as writing my own feature piece. This has been the most fulfilling part of the internship so far; it helped me realize that I want to go into editing as a career.

My day-to-day duties are more marketing-based. I manage Ms. Fit's social media presence, and I've learned that frequency, post time, and phrasing within posts is important not only to entice people to click on our posts, but to direct traffic to the Ms. Fit Web site. Another way I direct traffic to the site is by compiling a bi-weekly list of feminist and women's sports links.

I'll be sad when this internship ends, but I've gained valuable experience and a close friendship with the editor-in-chief, who, beyond being a good friend, is an important connection in the Chicago publishing and literary communities. – less
Student projects
Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2013
Worked on several projects, which pertained to a specific class I was taking at the time. Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Columbia College Chicago, because the professors were very helpful and always gave constructive criticism.
An endearing place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 5, 2013
Pros: exposure to people from all walks of life and many foreign countries
Cons: limited pay
Great fun and variety with lots of flexibility, plus fantastic co-workers. 10 years wasn't enough...
Productive working environment with tremendous growth opportunity
Administrative Asst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2012
Pros: salary, benefit growth opportunities and working envrionment
Cons: n/a
Columbia College Chicago is one of the premiere colleges of the arts in the Midwest. It has tremendous growth and upside. In my time there, I had a world of growth in my life. It was truly and enriching place to work.
Enjoyable part of working at Columbia College
Coordinator/Student Instructor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2012
Pros: working with children, learning science
At Columbia College Chicago's Math and Science Department, the staff and student interns make you feel right at home. My job consist of teaching at various elementary schools around the Chicago land under the Scientist for Tomorrow program.I teach lessons that incorporates science, math, technology and engineering by building either solar cars, musical – more... instruments and robobugs. It is an exciting job since you work with students from different ages. – less
Student Job
Chairman (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2012
Pros: flexible
Cons: felt like i lived on campus at times
It was great student job, one of the better ones on campus. Always flexible with scheduling needs
Creative, productive and encouraging work day.
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2012
A typical day would consist of assisting students and professors with lighting equipment and demonstrations. Putting together all printed material for professors and management. Daily inventory of office supplies and equipment. Ordering supplies. Maintenance of all studio lighting and equipment. Learning and discovering new lighting techniques. Working – more... with Photoshop, Illustrator, Capture
One Pro, Bridge, Light Room, Publisher, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Wacom tablet etc. Maintaining daily studio appearance.
Working with professors and employees to create a productive creative atmosphere. Working with creative professionals within today's photography industry.
The most enjoyably part of my job was to be able to resolve lighting issues and work through different lighting techniques to ultimately create the perfect image. Being able to fix equipment myself without having to send things out for repairs. Training new hires. – less