Columbia College Chicago

Columbia College Chicago Employer Reviews

Supportive and empowering managment
Office Manager (Former Employee), Academic AdvisingNovember 5, 2014
Pros: compassionate and empowering management
Cons: pay could be better as well as adjunct faculty incentives
I learned a lot in working in the Academic Advising office at Columbia College and have been able to carry it over to other parts of my life.
Columbia College was a very supportive work environment and the management there was attentive to the needs of the staff outside of work and cared a great deal for the employees. This created high morale and made – more... it easy to come to work everyday. – less
Productive and fun place.
Freelance Graphic Design (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 28, 2014
Pros: gained a lot of experience.
Come in and be assigned to a project and work on it. I learned a lot and came to enjoy the work.
Students receive hands-on experience in their fields of interest.
Associate Professor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: experiential learning immediately captures attention of students.
Cons: foundational theories not as readily received.
Columbia College is on the cutting edge of experiential learning.
Very Lenient, Interesting and Comfortable
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible, lenient/understanding, interesting, comfortable
I really enjoyed working as a student worker because I felt comfortable in the workplace and they worked with me. As a student I get crazy class hours, so working here made it possible enjoying work here.
Awesome experiences
Student Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2014
Pros: great team and lots of experience.
Cons: technical difficulties, challenging deadlines.
During my time as a student at Columbia College Chicago, I learned a lot. I was not an employee but I was a student. The experience of working a live news show was just like working in a real newsroom. It was fast paced, energetic, hectic and overall a great experience that I believe has prepared me well for a career in television. For every live news – more... show, we picked stories and split responsibilities of writing, editing, cutting teases, doing SOT'S and VOSOT's. Before a show, the classroom was typically very busy with some people writing and others cutting video or working or loading the shows into the computer. I worked with a great, talented group of individuals and alternated duties throughout the weeks of the semester. The hardest part of the job was technical difficulties with shooting and editing and having to put everything together with a tight deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing what I love most-performing. There was nothing more rewarding than anchoring or reporting and knowing that people enjoyed it. I truly feel ready and think that experience shaped me for the best. – less
incredible school, incredible opportunities
Music Business Student (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
Columbia had so many opportunities for students who were looking to excel in their careers. There are tons of resources available for working on job searches, resumes and cover letters. All of the teachers were talented and resourceful and wanted you to succeed.
Great part time teaching GIG
Adjunct Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2014
Pros: great school
Cons: i commute from huntsville alabama every week.
One of the best animation schools in the country. Their approach to traditional animation is top notch.
Great School and Organization to work for
Admissions Counselor/National Recruiter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2014
Best part of the job was being able to travel and meet new people.
Creative environment and interesting projects
Director of Marketing, The Dance Center (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 28, 2014
I enjoy working with other talented and creative professionals at Columbia College Chicago
Honor to work at the college
Academic Advisor Office (Former Employee), Chicago IllnoisMarch 13, 2014
Typical day with assisting my supervisor in office. I would deliver files to the records office and to the advisors. Files paperwork and assist student with graduation application.
Admin Job loved it.
Marketing Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: basic work load.
Cons: n/a
Working on the web page, calling students, filing, emailing foundations.
Wonderful school!
Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2013
Great people. great teachers, great environment, great place to be and learn!
A great place to get an Education
Associate Professor - Film/Video (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2013
Pros: diversity of subjects, people and opportunities
Cons: teachers union
Diversity of subjects, people and opportunities
Anything you'd want to learn is right there
Solid Managers for the most part with a drive to educate
Hardest part - Open Admissions policy
Best thing about it seeing people learn from your work efforts
great place to work.
Art Preparator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2013
Wonderful supervisor.
Great place to network.
Fun.
Easy access on a train.
Science and Exploration
STEM Researcher & Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2013
If you're a teaching candidate, leadership, curriculum and instruction specialist, or instructional designer looking for opportunities in STEM education programs, then Columbia College Chicago's Science Institute might be the place to "cut your teeth" in. I had practically no experience with teaching STEM-related subjects but learned an abundance of – more... great interdisciplinary strategies while working for the program for nearly 2 years. The greatest challenge is probably learning higher level mathematics and science if you're not strong in those subjects. For me this was easy my challenge was in convincing young learners that learning and doing STEM-related projects is actually fun! – less
A ethnic atmosphere
Student Worker Receptionist (Former Employee), ChicagoJuly 29, 2013
Pros: lots of connections, great staff
Student employment is a great way to make money while on campus and working on your degree. They work around your classes so work and school don't become one bug hassle. There are many departments to work for and each with their unique staff.
Part-time Accounting Teacher
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2013
I loved working for Columbia. I had a great boss who was very understanding. He completely trusted me with my class and I never encountered any resistance from him.
Engaging Internship in Which my Opinions are Valued
Ms. Fit Magazine Editorial Intern (Current Employee), ChicagoJune 6, 2013
I work primarily from home, which saves me a considerable amount of travel time and cost, as well as allows me to create my own hours. I have a lot of freedom like that in this internship because my employer trusts me to do a good job.

This is an editorial internship, so I edit two to three pieces for our quarterly magazine. For our last issue I worked – more... with four different editors, adding my opinions to their conversation with authors. All the editors I worked with were impressed with my diligence, so this issue I'm working alone with two contributors, as well as writing my own feature piece. This has been the most fulfilling part of the internship so far; it helped me realize that I want to go into editing as a career.

My day-to-day duties are more marketing-based. I manage Ms. Fit's social media presence, and I've learned that frequency, post time, and phrasing within posts is important not only to entice people to click on our posts, but to direct traffic to the Ms. Fit Web site. Another way I direct traffic to the site is by compiling a bi-weekly list of feminist and women's sports links.

I'll be sad when this internship ends, but I've gained valuable experience and a close friendship with the editor-in-chief, who, beyond being a good friend, is an important connection in the Chicago publishing and literary communities. – less
Student projects
Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2013
Worked on several projects, which pertained to a specific class I was taking at the time. Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Columbia College Chicago, because the professors were very helpful and always gave constructive criticism.
An endearing place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 5, 2013
Pros: exposure to people from all walks of life and many foreign countries
Cons: limited pay
Great fun and variety with lots of flexibility, plus fantastic co-workers. 10 years wasn't enough...