Columbia College Chicago Employee Reviews

Fun and productive environment
Teacher/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Columbia College Chicago's Semester in LA program. Those who worked there always communicated their expectations and needs and were quick to help explain or provide assistant if I ever had any questions or concerns.
Pros
educational outings
Student Worker
Student Work Aid (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2015
The job is very convenient considering that so much time is invested in constructing garments. This job allows you to also work on your homework.
It is one of teh best colleges in teh USA
Director professor Biology and Science Education (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
Good College for students in art, media and communication. It has a very well established pedagogy, curriculum, programs, faculty, and academic leaders
Teacher Assistant
Teacher's Assistant and PA (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
Teaching others and having leadership skills to solve and fix problems as a unit. Helping students, not only for their projects but also for their future.
String of Job Cuts/No Fund Raising Income/Enrollment Down
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2015
From all-time enrollment high in 2009, the college has dipped in student count, employee count and reputation in the past three years.

Good management and vision is sorely lacking here. More than two years after new CEO's arrival in July 2013, Columbia's enrollment is nearing a 10-year low. Strong experienced leadership is lacking at all the C-suite levels. Student recruitment is continuing a downward spiral. And paranoia has filled the staff and faculty ranks. Co-workers care about the institution but often spend the day discussing where the next program or employee cuts will be made after severe cuts the past year and early retirement packages extended in spring 2015 to help shore up financial blood loss with no fund raising efforts to back fill budgets.

Benefits are exceptional and low cost; however, salaries are well below national averages and below Chicago educational comps.

A typical day at work involved reading The Columbia Chronicle for the latest scoop on administrative issues, reorgs, and leadership snafus as the leadership takes on "Redefining Greatness" as smoke and mirrors motto for the sinking ship aka "right sizing" efforts.

The most difficult part of the job is watching long-timers try to rally liberal arts students - to stay in school while they accrue massive student debt, leaving Columbia among the highest rates of student loan default in the country. The college also has one of the lower graduation rates in the country.
Pros
Benefits at low cost; core of caring employees; good work/life balance 9-5 schedules;
Cons
Poor inexperienced leadership at senior level, string of funding and job cuts, student debt and low graduation rates as poor recuitment selling points
A great school to attend, but not a great company to work for
Client Services Consultant / Media Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2015
It is a great first job for a college graduate with no work experience or real world expectations. The work load is heavy; there is no department support regarding incidents. There are more work tickets created than staff to address the requests.
Pros
Tuition Reimbursement, Discounted Services
Cons
Large work loads with no administrative support
The joys of responsibility
Student Work Aid (Current Employee) –  72 East 11th Street Chicago ILJuly 31, 2015
There's never a dull day when it comes to being a full time student, now couple that with being a work aid for the Major department in which you're studying to get a degree.You have first hand to be as involved as possible. In addition, working in a small team for everything teaches you first hand how responsibility and accountability works. Task to bee done, must be done because there is an entire team of faculty and students depending on you to hold up your end for the good of the production. You become a direct reflection of the department in the eyes of your professors and peers.
Nice place
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
School has so much to offer young people that wish to embark in careers of the Arts. The people that work there are dedicated and are passionate about the making sure that the young people that complete their degree program are prepared for their future.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Small classrooms
Productive Workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2015
Working in the Department of Development was a great experience. It gave me basic Administration training and also helped me gain some experience with different data entry and constituent programs. Workers are typically quiet and keep to themselves, considering their workload was much bigger than mine, but everyone was always nice, respectful, and appreciative of my assistance. Altogether, it was a great experience!
Pros
Hour-long paid break for lunch, entry level experience
Cons
I couldn't stay after I graduated considering I was no longer a student
An unglamorous job that teaches skills that are useful for a lifetime.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlJuly 27, 2015
An excellent job to develop lifelong skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping my peers overcome obstacles.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
Not paid on the clock.
Live where you work!
Office of Residence Life (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2015
Build community, help students develop into productive well rounded adults, worked with a talented, dynamic staff, live in the south loop neighborhood of Chicago.
A wonderful work place
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2015
I really enjoyed working for my school. The environment was nice. I had wonderful co-workers. Management was a little wonky at times, but it ended up working for what we had to do. The pay was the downside. It was below minimum, but since it was a stipend, they could get away with it.
Pros
free lunch, meet new people
Cons
the pay
Fun to work in T
Executive Producer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2015
Facilitate and Supervise all phases of Production. Recruit and integrate student volunteers into workflow.
Distribute workload among 14 staff members. Act as a liaison between the Television Office and Frequency
Television Staff.
Pros
Great work environment, rewarding
Cons
No room for advancement
Very collaborative
Graduate Intern, New Student Programs (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
Good relationship between student affairs and academic affairs. There were regular meetings between the two groups updating them on information.
Great place
Studio Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2015
It was a great work environment as a student; I received a lot of outside critiques and advice on my work as an artist, as well as becoming more connected with the student body.
An open admissions college with a great philosophy of inclusion
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2015
It is a hub of people united by the love for a craft. It has respect for the independence of cathedra, and a focus on the student success.
The open admissions policy allows the thriving of diversity in students and outcomes.
Pros
well equipped facilities. full interdisciplinary access in the student body.
Cons
no benefits for adjunct faculty.
Great networking space
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago. ILFebruary 12, 2015
- Typical day at will be sitting at the front desk taking calls, taking appointments for Gigi Posejpal through the phone or walk in students or out posting posters.
- I have learnt how to interact with many different personalities.
- I have a great boss and her name is Gigi Posejpal.
- My co-workers are always fun. We still talk even after I graduated.
- Hardest part of my job is going out to post posters in the crazy winter weather.
- Most enjoyable part of my job is that we are a family at where we work. We are very supportive of each other even between employers and employees.
Supportive and empowering managment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Academic AdvisingNovember 5, 2014
I learned a lot in working in the Academic Advising office at Columbia College and have been able to carry it over to other parts of my life.
Columbia College was a very supportive work environment and the management there was attentive to the needs of the staff outside of work and cared a great deal for the employees. This created high morale and made it easy to come to work everyday.
Pros
compassionate and empowering management
Cons
pay could be better as well as adjunct faculty incentives
Productive and fun place.
Freelance Graphic Design (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 28, 2014
Come in and be assigned to a project and work on it. I learned a lot and came to enjoy the work.
Pros
gained a lot of experience.
Students receive hands-on experience in their fields of interest.
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2014
Columbia College is on the cutting edge of experiential learning.
Pros
experiential learning immediately captures attention of students.
Cons
foundational theories not as readily received.

4.5