Columbia Distributing

Columbia Distributing Employee Reviews

Job Security, Working with little supervision , fast paced
MERCHANDISER/SALES (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 18, 2015
Pros: off work early
Cons: working saturdays/ holidays
Great company to work for and a very stable job, alcohol will always sell! love the fast paced work environment and the ability to act on my own almost like I'm my own boss and can work at my pace
Productive work place, multiple cases of beer/wine/soda products handled throughout the day
Work as merchandiser (Current Employee), Eugene, ORMarch 17, 2015
Pros: beer discounts
Cons: Wear and tear on body.
Typical day is lifting and storing 400-500 cases of various product. Ex. cases of beer 6 packs (qty of 4) ,12 packs, 30 packs, etc. wine boxes (qty.of 12), redbull cases, Snapple cases, 2 liters of soda, 12 packs of soda. Using a handtruck 80% of my shift. Using other kinds of carts the other 20%. I enjoy the interactions with customers and the organization of products. However, I don't enjoy throwing cases one after another all day long. My co-workers are helpful and most of them have good leadership.
Warehouse Associate
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Kent, WAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: no family time
Pick orders in timely manner
Move product to storage locations
Stack & store merchandise in appropriate places
Prepare & stage merchandise for outbound shipments
Assist with shipping & receiving
Work as a team to get job done and meet deadlines
Good work environment
can stripper (Former Employee), Springfield, ORFebruary 23, 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Good people. easy going work days with low stress overall. Plenty of room to advance if you choose to
Stay away unless you like getting stepped on or beat down
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Kent, WAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: not working there
Cons: poor environment
It was fun for a short time. They trick and manipulate you into extra work. They expect perfection and lack compensation for your effort and accomplishments. You will be tracked with every move you make. Vehicles are monitored. Majority of the good people are gone however there are a few still there, at least until they figure it out. Everything is micromanaged. Felt like I was in preschool. Nothing is ever good enough and mangers will let you know that. Managers are more like dictators and give minimal if any assistance. Don't waste your time with this place!!! It's not worth the stress or lack of pay you receive. Coworkers are cool but will share the same sentiment. Even the ones still there. I stayed way too long.
Flexible schedule, but demanding and somewhat political.
Graphic Production (Former Employee), Medford, ORJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: working alone, flexible schedule, trusted to manage self
Cons: top down management style, overly political, you have to watch your back
The graphic production job requires one to prioritize multiple daily, weekly and monthly deadlines and fulfill the requests of the sales staff in a timely fashion. This includes templated banner production, signs and pricing productions, as well as some design work.

Knowledge of printing processes is helpful, but everything I know about it I learned on the job.

Local management tends to be understanding and allows a flexible schedule, there are some political problems and issues with trust and accountability in the sales team, however.

Upper management is out of touch and focuses on nothing more than numbers and sales, pushing that attitude down the lines. This does hurt customer service quite a bit, as well as eroding employee trust.

Easily the most difficult part of the job is balancing the various needs of the sales staff with the time you have available to produce what is wanted. Often you will have to disappoint someone in order to keep the larger picture flowing smoothly. This can cause some problems with certain personalities.
Fast Growing Company that does not value hard working employees
Office (Current Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: discount on wine and beer
Cons: unfair employment pratices
If you are treated unfairly and go to management they tell you "If you don't like how your treated leave." Management thinks its okay to walk all over employees. Hardest part of the job is dealing with unfair, unrealistic managers. Co-worker are the best part of the job.
job
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee), Portland, ORDecember 23, 2014
Pros: job
Cons: no backing from employer
Worked with this co. for 2 years. Loved my job. Great people to work around. Got a DUII and they dropped me immediately. Never offered treatment or any help whatsoever. I asked for help. Nothing. Last paycheck was in the mail that same day I asked for help. I was shocked. Never offered me another job...Very disappointed. No backing or help. Dropped and fired on the "spot!"
Hard work
Order picker (Former Employee), KentDecember 1, 2014
Pros: discount on beverages
Cons: no life outside of work
Typical day for warehouse/order picker u come in stretch as a team. Then leads would tell everyone how big of a drop they had for the day and then off everyone went to pick orders on an electric pallet jack, 12-14 hour shifts if you work on grave..
Fun place to work.
General (Current Employee), Kent, WANovember 19, 2014
There's never a dull moment at Columbia. At this point, I am still fairly new to the company and their culture. Seems to be lots of networking opportunities.
Columbia
Technical Analyst (Current Employee), Kent, WAOctober 18, 2014
Recently, I am a Technical Analyst at Columbia Distributing. I furthered my communication skills by working with different levels of people from Tier 1 up to the Support Engineers, and managers up to executive officers of Columbia Distributing and Young's Market Company. I became the single point of contact for information of the client's technology, and their processes and procedures. I proved myself valuable to both Columbia Disturbing and their vendors. I feel that I have developed rapidly and hope to continue to do so at your organization.
Was a great place to work, but some of the management didn't deserve there positions.
Wine Salesman (Former Employee), Kent, WAJune 25, 2014
Pros: most weekends off.
Cons: some late nights for events and or preparing and building massive displays.
Typical day Monday thru Friday: Go to 6-7 accounts a day work back stock, pull up displays, fill shelf's and cold boxes. Look for opportunities for extra displays, and opportunities with shelf management. Admin/computer work at night to prepare for the next day.

Learned the A-Z of a very successful wine salesman.

Management: 80% could teach/mentor.

Co-workers: Had lots of good times with them, we made it a fun place to work and we where all successful because of the efforts.

Hardest part of the job, fire drills late in the day.

Most enjoyable part of the job: Working with people and concurring/overcoming different tasked each day.
hard work
Night Warehouseman (Former Employee), Yakima, WAMay 1, 2014
Good pay and hard work, Learned how to drive various forklifts. Pulled beer for multiple cities, wrapped, and loaded
Hard Work, No Recognition, and Unprofessional Atmosphere
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits and casual dress
Cons: poor training and club mentality
You will work extremely hard and constantly be told what you're lacking instead of what your strengths are. I was harassed here and had to file numerous HR complaints. I was cussed at, called names, and eventually had to quit.
Team Atmosphere with Little Supervision
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: self-supervision, fast-paced environment
Cons: often no breaks, horrible healthcare
Working as a merchandiser at Columbia meant working with co-workers (or team members) and traveling to multiple stores each day in order to merchandise. Often we would not receive much direct management or supervision since the team would be a spread throughout a town, and the manager and lead can only be in one place at a time. Cell phones were heavily relied on for communication with our superiors, however we would be admonished by our superiors if the store managers complained about our phone use. This could be frustrating at times.
The work is physical, but not mentally challenging and leave a lot of time to have fun conversations with your co-workers... as long as you can talk and work at the same time.
Had to push yourself to do the job because supervisors were not on job sites.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: pros getting off early if you worked hard enough.
Cons: having to wake up early and a lot of driving.
A typical day at work would consist of getting to the firs grocery store at 6:30am and starting right away. Depending on the day of the week you would have to either stock the companies products from what you already had stored in the back or you would have to take in the new inventory that had gotten there that morning and stock the store. I would typically have 3 to 5 stores per day. I would regularly skip lunch in order to be able to get the job done and be able to go home at a decent time.

I learned a lot about merchandising obviously and how to do it properly and make sure the customer has the best experience and putting the product out that the customer wants. I also learned a lot about trying to target the customer in terms of marketing and trying to get the customer to buy the product. I also learned how to make cool displays to help the marketers.

Management was pretty good for the most part. My lead Manager John Quidachay was a awesome guy and really nice. I didn't believe his assistant managers had the same mind set about the job as he did but overall they everyone was good.

The co workers were really nice most of the time. It was tough for me at times because I was the youngest person on the team most of the time. But I usually got along with everyone and I just had the mind set of getting the job down.

The hardest part of the job was probably having to be at work so early. Most of the stores i worked at were about half an hour away from my house so I would have to wake up at 5:30am to get to work. But my body adjusted after awhile and it wasn't that big of a deal.

I think the most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that if I worked as hard as I could each and every day I could get off work early. Knowing that in the back of my head while working was cool and it made me work that much harder and I still did a great job.
Worst Place to Work at.
warehouse (Former Employee), Kent, WADecember 20, 2013
Pros: non
Cons: everything
worst Management ever, No job security. Dont trust anyone. Always have to watch your back. Nothing is free, even christmas gifts. Come to work and expect to fired for doing your job. Gets to meet good people just not all of them. If you want to succeed here you literally have to get on your knees and you know what.
Cooler Technician (Current Employee), Portland, ORNovember 3, 2013
Many opportunitys
overall a great place to work
the best part of the job was the hour flexability
Good company to work for
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Yakima, WAOctober 30, 2013
Merchandise product at many stores in Yakima, Wa. I learned how to merchandise our product by rotating by dates.
warehouse
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Kent, WAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: workers
Cons: muscle cars
Restocking everyday products for customer satisfaction.

About Columbia Distributing

One of the nation's largest suppliers of craft beers, Columbia Distributing also carries wine, soda, and other non-alcoholic beverages. – Read more

Columbia Distributing Salaries