Columbia Distributing Employee Reviews in United States

Working a lot, tons of overtime
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 10, 2016
Typical day- Go to work at 5am, work till about nine or ten take lunch, go back to work, finish then go home. Depending on how big stores are i can have anywhere between 3 to 5 stores and getting off anywhere between 1pm and 6pm depending on the day

What I learned- i learned how to keep pushing my self even though i though i hit my limit, also better reflexes, memory skill increase of items and where they go as well where stores locations in multiple areas over the last two years in both the Federal Way, Auburn, Sumner, Puyallup, Sumner, and Bonney Lake areas.

Management- the manager i have is someone i respect because he can be a funny person but completely takes his work seriously.

Co-workers- for the most part everybody gets along but there are times were we get on each others nerves

Hardest part of the job- not having a set time off. Makes it hard to balance both my social life and my work life

Most enjoyable part of the job- not being in one place all the time and the money.
Pros
money multiple locations
Cons
makes it really hard to have a balanced life
Horrible job!
Key merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJuly 1, 2016
I've worked here for almost a year in Klamath, manager is two faced and will never give you a straight answer always just blowing smoke up your tail pipe. The in town supervisor is not qualified for the job (no management skills or people skills) you barely get lunches in an 8-10 hour shifts, they say it's up to you if you want to take one ( but you might end up getting punished by getting sent home earlier than everyone else) the will change your schedule with no notice and make you work in stores you've not worked before and expect you to do perfect.
Pros
Cons
The company.
Once was a great place to work.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 30, 2016
A typical day was anything but. You never knew what you might walk into each day and it was challenging.
Over the years I learned how to teach others to enjoy their job and have fun. Work shouldn't be a source of dread that you hate to get up for in the morning.
The management staff left a little to be desired as there didn't seem to be any leadership on a consistent level. They were OK but you have to trust that your manager will support you and that was rarely the case.
My co-workers were amazing people and I would have stayed there for them alone. We were a talented team who enthusiastically attacked our workload and kept the masses happy with the results.
The hardest part was keeping leadership focused on a common goal.
I really loved what I did for a living, how many people get to say that. The hours were flexible even though 50 hrs a week was average, the pay was acceptable and I had a great team.
Pros
Cheap beer and wine
Cons
Health Insurance steadily declined but wasn't horrible.
Fast paced industry with high expectations.
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 19, 2016
Great company with the culture of "work hard, play hard. Expectations are high and compensation fair. Management is fair and supportive.
Pros
Good benefits
I enjoyed my time at Columbia
CDL Driver, Customer Service, (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2016
Some times the work load is absolutly grueling, however, when times are good they're great. As a driver you build grerat relationships with customers all over. Managment typically stays off your back as long as you are doing your job. I had three day weekends every week and after 6 years 3 weeks vacation a year.
Pros
Cheap Beer, adventurous
Cons
The hours, some customers are very hard to work with
It was a great place to work at. I just think the hr needs to keep contact with the people they hire and make sure they are on the same level.
PICKER (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 2, 2016
They are a great company its just they dont communicate right. They give us a certain time we need to finish with like only two to four people working. Carrying someone else load by yourself is something that is very challenging.
Distributing done right
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Maple Valley, WAApril 18, 2016
A typical day at Columbia Distributing involved starting at one of many stores were our product was sold and checking our stock at said store; stocking product on the sales floor as necessary and unloading new stock from supply unloads from company trucks.

Hard work and a fast pace helps the job get done faster, and the physical labor keeps you in shape. That is both the hardest part of the job and the best part of the job. An early start to the day meant an early end, so one still had plenty of the day left ahead of him after work.
Columbia Distributers
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMarch 4, 2016
Great company. Good leadership. multicultural co workers. calm environment. Very willing to adjust work schedule to accommodate workers.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Probably one of the best companies you could ever work for.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2016
Who doesn't love selling alcohol? This company not only shows you all the ins and outs of how to effectively sell alcohol in every scenario but they do it in such a way that every day is fun and exciting. There is never really a bad day when you work with some of the best people and brands in the industry and if by some chance you get bored of your day to day, your managers are more then willing to help you find a better fit for you.
Pros
Get to sample all the new beverages in the industry.
Cons
Salary.
Great workplace and a very positive environment
Order Picker/Selector (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2016
A great job if you are looking to stay active and in good shape.
Duties include drive a pallet jack around a warehouse and picking cases of beer/soda and loading truck trailers.
Fun to work with different people everyday.
Class A Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 16, 2015
Typical day consists of checking previously picked loads for customers(Grocery stores,gas stations and private company). I used handheld computers for generating invoices. I would back into loading docks or maneuver into tight parking lots. I learned lots of customer service skills. Management was easy to work with. Hardest part of the job was working as early as 2am. But not impossible because I did it for over 10 years. The most enjoyable part was the annual "Truck Rodeos" they would have. It was an obstical course for trucks and I won 1st place!
Pros
Dependable and Reliable company to work for.
Cons
No chance of moving up in the company. Pay stayed the same for a long time.
Fast and energetic work place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 3, 2015
Very good job. Need to be in good physical shape. Be prepared to work sometimes 14 hour days. Super busy beverage distribution warehouse. Must be tentative and precise with picking your orders. Must be super fast and get done with precision.
Fun workplace
inventory control (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 1, 2015
enjoyable workplace. Enjoyed coworkers and teamwork. Learned a lot from company and management. The company allowed me the chance to grow and promoted me quite quickly.
Pros
laid back work days
Worst Company Ever
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  3601 NW Yeon Avenue Portland,OR 97210October 31, 2015
Overworked, understaffed, and disorganized. Most merchandisers are depressed, the work load is outrageous and the management is almost completely vacant. You never know what to expect coming into work, only that it will be stressful and aggravating.
Cons
not a good place to work
CDL Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 19, 2015
I herd it has changed and is way better but when I worked there I would work 15hr day delivering fixing coffee machines. Could have been the best place ever to work. great tasting coffee was the best part. I still but the coffee...lol
Awesome
Cooler Delivery (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 9, 2015
I love my time with Columbia. They have a very family oriented business. Yes you need to impress the upper management to go anywhere in the company but it is not that difficult to move up it just takes time.
Pros
Relaxed Inviroment
Cons
Slow pay increase
Productive distribution company with great benefits and fine culture
Sales Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 28, 2015
Columbia Distributing was a good place to work for, and I will report more fully and accurately at a later date.
The benefits are great, and exposure to the creative world of craft brewing is a treat. The co-workers I got to work with were warm and energetic as well.
Pros
Professional atmosphere and colleagues, good benefits
Cons
not much room for growth outside sales
Was a great work environment with great fellow coworkers that made the day en joyable
Product Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORJuly 24, 2015
Columbia distributing was a great company to work for, not only because the coworkers were great, but also the supervisors were very involved as well.
Hard Work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 3, 2015
Lift boxes most of the day. Make lists about what to put on shelves. Tough work, and the lowest pay in the industry. It helps when you have a good team of people to work with. Most of the good people end up moving to other companies that pay better.
Difficult to advance
Non-Alcoholic Beverage Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 7, 2015
I'd have a designated amount of grocery stores to write orders for and sell product.There wasn't a set start time or end time. I would sometimes work up to 14 hours in a day. Management was difficult to work with.

2.7