Columbia Distributing Employee Reviews in United States

Columbia Distributers
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMarch 4, 2016
Great company. Good leadership. multicultural co workers. calm environment. Very willing to adjust work schedule to accommodate workers.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Probably one of the best companies you could ever work for.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2016
Who doesn't love selling alcohol? This company not only shows you all the ins and outs of how to effectively sell alcohol in every scenario but they do it in such a way that every day is fun and exciting. There is never really a bad day when you work with some of the best people and brands in the industry and if by some chance you get bored of your day to day, your managers are more then willing to help you find a better fit for you.
Pros
Get to sample all the new beverages in the industry.
Cons
Salary.
Great workplace and a very positive environment
Order Picker/Selector (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2016
A great job if you are looking to stay active and in good shape.
Duties include drive a pallet jack around a warehouse and picking cases of beer/soda and loading truck trailers.
Fun to work with different people everyday.
Class A Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 16, 2015
Typical day consists of checking previously picked loads for customers(Grocery stores,gas stations and private company). I used handheld computers for generating invoices. I would back into loading docks or maneuver into tight parking lots. I learned lots of customer service skills. Management was easy to work with. Hardest part of the job was working as early as 2am. But not impossible because I did it for over 10 years. The most enjoyable part was the annual "Truck Rodeos" they would have. It was an obstical course for trucks and I won 1st place!
Pros
Dependable and Reliable company to work for.
Cons
No chance of moving up in the company. Pay stayed the same for a long time.
Fast and energetic work place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 3, 2015
Very good job. Need to be in good physical shape. Be prepared to work sometimes 14 hour days. Super busy beverage distribution warehouse. Must be tentative and precise with picking your orders. Must be super fast and get done with precision.
Fun workplace
inventory control (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 1, 2015
enjoyable workplace. Enjoyed coworkers and teamwork. Learned a lot from company and management. The company allowed me the chance to grow and promoted me quite quickly.
Pros
laid back work days
Worst Company Ever
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  3601 NW Yeon Avenue Portland,OR 97210October 31, 2015
Overworked, understaffed, and disorganized. Most merchandisers are depressed, the work load is outrageous and the management is almost completely vacant. You never know what to expect coming into work, only that it will be stressful and aggravating.
Cons
not a good place to work
CDL Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 19, 2015
I herd it has changed and is way better but when I worked there I would work 15hr day delivering fixing coffee machines. Could have been the best place ever to work. great tasting coffee was the best part. I still but the coffee...lol
Awesome
Cooler Delivery (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 9, 2015
I love my time with Columbia. They have a very family oriented business. Yes you need to impress the upper management to go anywhere in the company but it is not that difficult to move up it just takes time.
Pros
Relaxed Inviroment
Cons
Slow pay increase
Productive distribution company with great benefits and fine culture
Sales Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 28, 2015
Columbia Distributing was a good place to work for, and I will report more fully and accurately at a later date.
The benefits are great, and exposure to the creative world of craft brewing is a treat. The co-workers I got to work with were warm and energetic as well.
Pros
Professional atmosphere and colleagues, good benefits
Cons
not much room for growth outside sales
Was a great work environment with great fellow coworkers that made the day en joyable
Product Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORJuly 24, 2015
Columbia distributing was a great company to work for, not only because the coworkers were great, but also the supervisors were very involved as well.
Hard Work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 3, 2015
Lift boxes most of the day. Make lists about what to put on shelves. Tough work, and the lowest pay in the industry. It helps when you have a good team of people to work with. Most of the good people end up moving to other companies that pay better.
Difficult to advance
Non-Alcoholic Beverage Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 7, 2015
I'd have a designated amount of grocery stores to write orders for and sell product.There wasn't a set start time or end time. I would sometimes work up to 14 hours in a day. Management was difficult to work with.
Job Security, Working with little supervision , fast paced
MERCHANDISER/SALES (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 18, 2015
Great company to work for and a very stable job, alcohol will always sell! love the fast paced work environment and the ability to act on my own almost like I'm my own boss and can work at my pace
Pros
off work early
Cons
working saturdays/ holidays
Productive work place, multiple cases of beer/wine/soda products handled throughout the day
Work as merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 17, 2015
Typical day is lifting and storing 400-500 cases of various product. Ex. cases of beer 6 packs (qty of 4) ,12 packs, 30 packs, etc. wine boxes (qty.of 12), redbull cases, Snapple cases, 2 liters of soda, 12 packs of soda. Using a handtruck 80% of my shift. Using other kinds of carts the other 20%. I enjoy the interactions with customers and the organization of products. However, I don't enjoy throwing cases one after another all day long. My co-workers are helpful and most of them have good leadership.
Pros
beer discounts
Cons
Wear and tear on body.
Warehouse Associate
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 6, 2015
Pick orders in timely manner
Move product to storage locations
Stack & store merchandise in appropriate places
Prepare & stage merchandise for outbound shipments
Assist with shipping & receiving
Work as a team to get job done and meet deadlines
Pros
great pay
Cons
no family time
Good work environment
can stripper (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 23, 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Good people. easy going work days with low stress overall. Plenty of room to advance if you choose to
Stay away unless you like getting stepped on or beat down
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 29, 2015
It was fun for a short time. They trick and manipulate you into extra work. They expect perfection and lack compensation for your effort and accomplishments. You will be tracked with every move you make. Vehicles are monitored. Majority of the good people are gone however there are a few still there, at least until they figure it out. Everything is micromanaged. Felt like I was in preschool. Nothing is ever good enough and mangers will let you know that. Managers are more like dictators and give minimal if any assistance. Don't waste your time with this place!!! It's not worth the stress or lack of pay you receive. Coworkers are cool but will share the same sentiment. Even the ones still there. I stayed way too long.
Pros
not working there
Cons
poor environment
Flexible schedule, but demanding and somewhat political.
Graphic Production (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 27, 2015
The graphic production job requires one to prioritize multiple daily, weekly and monthly deadlines and fulfill the requests of the sales staff in a timely fashion. This includes templated banner production, signs and pricing productions, as well as some design work.

Knowledge of printing processes is helpful, but everything I know about it I learned on the job.

Local management tends to be understanding and allows a flexible schedule, there are some political problems and issues with trust and accountability in the sales team, however.

Upper management is out of touch and focuses on nothing more than numbers and sales, pushing that attitude down the lines. This does hurt customer service quite a bit, as well as eroding employee trust.

Easily the most difficult part of the job is balancing the various needs of the sales staff with the time you have available to produce what is wanted. Often you will have to disappoint someone in order to keep the larger picture flowing smoothly. This can cause some problems with certain personalities.
Pros
working alone, flexible schedule, trusted to manage self
Cons
top down management style, overly political, you have to watch your back
Fast Growing Company that does not value hard working employees
Office (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 21, 2015
If you are treated unfairly and go to management they tell you "If you don't like how your treated leave." Management thinks its okay to walk all over employees. Hardest part of the job is dealing with unfair, unrealistic managers. Co-worker are the best part of the job.
Pros
discount on wine and beer
Cons
unfair employment pratices