Columbia Distributing Employee Reviews

good job but has its mgmt problems
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, OROctober 18, 2017
so managment is a huge problem here they are out of town. no solid managers in this town. they give power down to others who have no managemnt skills and make work a pain. not a friendly place to work
Pros
vacation, off ny 3pm normally
Cons
30 min lunvh, early start times, poor managment
Awful
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Swan Island, OROctober 15, 2017
Every time i asked for a oppertunity to learn the forklift i was always taken as a joke. It was never just a no. Last year my coworkers were planning to strike and i told the manager. A year later everyone that was gonna strike had moved farther than me in the company in position and pay. They are not loyal there. Its a good first job but i would definately not reccomend that place to anyone.
Pros
Good starting wage
Cons
They pick favorites. If management doesnt like you, you dont have a fair oppertunity to grow.
Solid Job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 1, 2017
You're going to break a sweat, but the money is decent for the kind of job it is. You get off when all the days stores have been serviced. Can be frustrating for hard workers, because getting things done fast just leads to you picking up the slack for the lazier merchandisers.
A close family of coworkers.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORSeptember 29, 2017
Working for this company has been a huge part of my life. I enjoyed the freedom of merchandising. I was able to manage my own route in order to set myself up for success. Being trusted to make decisions was one of the reasons I stayed for 11 years. My accounts were incredibly important to me and I was allowed to be the company spokesman for my route.
Unrealistic
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WASeptember 24, 2017
Got hired for 3 specific roles and once I started, my trainer informed me that I had MANY more roles that the hiring manager did not at all mention during the interview process. My trainer hated the job and had nothing good to say so it became clear that the morale was very low. Long story short, when hired they painted a nice picture and once I started I realized quickly that I was going to have far to many roles for the pay and the daily tasks were very unrealistic. If you want to get overworked for garbage pay, this is the job for you.
Benefits
Cons
Overworked, bad pay, and no advancement.
great place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WASeptember 11, 2017
very fast paced work environment and work days go by really fast.
hardest part of my job was delivering and working 1000 to 1500 cases of beer without help.
learned to deal with all types of customers.
Pros
good pay and hours
Overall, a good company.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 30, 2017
I worked in sales, and though the company was a good one to work for, working in sales specifically was tough. It is a fast-paced and stressful job. What made the job so demanding was the amount of work that was expected of each sales team member. Because of this, it was tough to achieve any sense of accomplishment. Coupling this with the fact that accounts could call at any time (day, night, weekends or holidays) with concerns, questions or complaints, it was as though the work never ended I was always on the clock. There were those who thrived on that environment, but it was not for me.
Pros
Fast-pased.The day was done when the work was done.
Cons
Never felt like I was "off the clock". Complete work was sometimes unattainable.
They don't treat u very well unless your in sells
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORAugust 22, 2017
Pay sucks there is no communication between merchandiser and sells and if there is it's mostly the sells team complaining about the merchandiser team so if u don't suck up to the sells team more then likely try to get u fired
Pros
Discount beer, wine and soda
Cons
Your treated like you are second class to everyone
fast paced
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAAugust 9, 2017
good place to work fast paced great pay get to meet alot of customers great pay and good people to work around good clean equipment fairly new and everybody is willing to help you
Night Shift Supervisor is Immature
NIGHT WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 3, 2017
The night shift supervisor is a joke, worthless, company gives product away he will take it all and give to friends outside of job instead of employees
Fast paced, fun industry!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 19, 2017
Days are long and sometimes stressful but Columbia Distributing employees deliver the party! You will succeed here if you are flexible, reliable, and like to hang around with the people you work with. Many opportunities for free wearables, samples, company events with good prizes. You will be the person in the know when it comes to beverages - CD has a massive product portfolio.
Management is cool as long as you keep your head down and do your work. Lots of opportunity for independence and growth but you have to be able to perform.
Holidays are busy because thats when people buy beer! Summer is very busy. You likely won't get vacation around a holiday but you do get holiday pay. Pay is fair and benefits, health, etc is good. Salespeople get commissions - so, if you are good, pay is very good.
Pros
culture, co-workers, lots of locations
Cons
physical work, heavy workload in summer and around holidays
free energy drinks and pop
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 29, 2017
picking orders is your main focus. management was cool with everyone.everyone was cool to work with. most fun part is the days they have races. teamwork was a must from everyone and everyone participated.
I stock merchandise and have very little supervision. i have learned how to rotate stock and be aware of my surroundings.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJune 13, 2017
There is no opportunity to advance in the company. I drive to the stores to put product on the shelves and make sure that the merchandise is rotated. I think the most enjoyably part of the job is the people you get to meet and work with not to mention the benefits of getting to taste the beer you sell.
Pros
you get free beer sometimes.
Cons
physically demanding.
Great place to work, be willing to sacrifice though
Sales Representative - Beer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 27, 2017
The company has taught me many skills. They require you to work very hard but if you can handle the tough times it is worth it to work for Columbia. The benefits are good and the pay is above the industry average. Biggest downside is the work/life balance.
fun workplace
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 14, 2017
- merchandising. You wake up at the crack of dawn. Hit you accounts, service and move along to the next store.
- How tough and hard work this job is. If you're not willing to bust your butt, you're going to have a long day.
- friendly work culture
- Waking up to basically go work out and throw beer cases around
- Being your own manager. If you aren't motivated, this isn't for you. But being able to get your job done quickly is nice.
Fast Paced
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 22, 2017
A typical day is from 6am-2pm. We arrive to each account and check for notes the Sales associate left. A list is made for what is needed on the shelves and cold boxes. We then work what we have in back stock and what comes in the live freight. We typically have three or four people working so we split off to work our accounts.
It is very fast pace so it's best to stay focused and be on top of things. It's all routine. I enjoy being able to go to different stores each day and connecting with new people. The hardest part of the job is when summer comes. We can be short handed and easily work 14 hour days. On weekends I work alone and just service stores and make sure they are organized for the load days during the week.
Fun place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 7, 2017
Very fun team atmosphere. Sell beer and soda, keep the shelves full and customers thirsty. The work is hard and requires moving at an extremely fast pace for 10+ hours per day. Management treats you with respect and will weed out any negative co-workers quickly. You don't really have to be strong or young, just willing to work and bring a good attitude every day. The pay is not good however and it won't get better with time. You will be eating potatoes for every meal by the end of the pay period. Good news is after a couple years you will gain enough experiance to do the same thing with ANY other company. EVERY other company pays better but requires experiance.
Pros
Discounted soda cases, very fun co-workers, flexable management
Cons
Very low pay, long hours
Reached the ceiling
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 5, 2017
I worked in the warehouse, you start off by picking cases on night shift. It's a union warehouse so the bottom of the totem pole is picking cases seniority wise. Use to be long hours (10-14hrs daily) when I started but seems to have finally hired up and now are finishing between 8-10hrs. Management was ok but seemed like they are always looking to write people up and fire them before they reach the max wage which is set at about 22.30 it was a cool environment but too many young folks there. Very immature co workers on nights but that doesn't mean you have to interact with them, as you are responsible for your own quota. Days is full of higher senior guys and a lot of main jobs are restocking.
Pros
Union, great benefits and good wage
Cons
Union (protects workers with horrible work ethics)
Non productive work environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORMarch 15, 2017
I worked for this company less than a year they do not hire enough merchandisers to compensate for how much product they distribute, you are left alone on weekends to do 4 stores and are expected to get this done within 8 hours, they are very impatient if you do not work fast enough but if you are by yourself there is only so much you can do. I would not recommend anyone to work as Merchandiser for this company the management is impatient and unprofessional.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No lunch break, work load is to much for one person, the work environment is unprofessional
El ambiente bueno gente tranquilos para trabajar
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  BodegaMarch 10, 2017
Buena empresa buen pago solo que trabajaba de noche y quiero Seguir trabajar de dia,sacar ordenes de las tiendas, manejaba pallet jack y forklift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia Distributing. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8