Columbia Distributing

Columbia Distributing Employer Reviews

hard work
Night Warehouseman (Former Employee), Yakima, WAMay 1, 2014
Good pay and hard work, Learned how to drive various forklifts. Pulled beer for multiple cities, wrapped, and loaded
Hard Work, No Recognition, and Unprofessional Atmosphere
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits and casual dress
Cons: poor training and club mentality
You will work extremely hard and constantly be told what you're lacking instead of what your strengths are. I was harassed here and had to file numerous HR complaints. I was cussed at, called names, and eventually had to quit.
Team Atmosphere with Little Supervision
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: self-supervision, fast-paced environment
Cons: often no breaks, horrible healthcare
Working as a merchandiser at Columbia meant working with co-workers (or team members) and traveling to multiple stores each day in order to merchandise. Often we would not receive much direct management or supervision since the team would be a spread throughout a town, and the manager and lead can only be in one place at a time. Cell phones were heavily – more... relied on for communication with our superiors, however we would be admonished by our superiors if the store managers complained about our phone use. This could be frustrating at times.
The work is physical, but not mentally challenging and leave a lot of time to have fun conversations with your co-workers... as long as you can talk and work at the same time. – less
Had to push yourself to do the job because supervisors were not on job sites.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: pros getting off early if you worked hard enough.
Cons: having to wake up early and a lot of driving.
A typical day at work would consist of getting to the firs grocery store at 6:30am and starting right away. Depending on the day of the week you would have to either stock the companies products from what you already had stored in the back or you would have to take in the new inventory that had gotten there that morning and stock the store. I would – more... typically have 3 to 5 stores per day. I would regularly skip lunch in order to be able to get the job done and be able to go home at a decent time.

I learned a lot about merchandising obviously and how to do it properly and make sure the customer has the best experience and putting the product out that the customer wants. I also learned a lot about trying to target the customer in terms of marketing and trying to get the customer to buy the product. I also learned how to make cool displays to help the marketers.

Management was pretty good for the most part. My lead Manager John Quidachay was a awesome guy and really nice. I didn't believe his assistant managers had the same mind set about the job as he did but overall they everyone was good.

The co workers were really nice most of the time. It was tough for me at times because I was the youngest person on the team most of the time. But I usually got along with everyone and I just had the mind set of getting the job down.

The hardest part of the job was probably having to be at work so early. Most of the stores i worked at were about half an hour away from my house so I would have to wake up at 5:30am to get to work. But my body adjusted after awhile and it wasn't that big of a deal.

I think the most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that if I worked as hard as I could each and every day I could get off work early. Knowing that in the back of my head while working was cool and it made me work that much harder and I still did a great job. – less
Worst Place to Work at.
warehouse (Former Employee), Kent, WADecember 20, 2013
Pros: non
Cons: everything
worst Management ever, No job security. Dont trust anyone. Always have to watch your back. Nothing is free, even christmas gifts. Come to work and expect to fired for doing your job. Gets to meet good people just not all of them. If you want to succeed here you literally have to get on your knees and you know what.
Cooler Technician (Current Employee), Portland, ORNovember 3, 2013
Many opportunitys
overall a great place to work
the best part of the job was the hour flexability
Good company to work for
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Yakima, WAOctober 30, 2013
Merchandise product at many stores in Yakima, Wa. I learned how to merchandise our product by rotating by dates.
warehouse
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Kent, WAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: workers
Cons: muscle cars
Restocking everyday products for customer satisfaction.
Company that puts family first.
Non-Alcoholic Beverages Short Pay Specialist (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 1, 2013
Good people. I learned a new database program and was able to take company classes to continue my computer education.
Nice job for starting up in the bussiness
Merchandiser/Driver Helper (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 10, 2013
Pros: cheap dented beer, weekends off
Cons: hard to move up without a college education, not willing to be competitive with pay
I got hired on as a merchandiser, it doesn't pay as well as other companies, but you can your way up to weekends off, a sales position or supervisor role. They are a growing company so everything won't be perfect. In the delivery department everyone gets weekends and major holidays off which is a big plus. They also will train you to drive a Class A – more... tractor and trailer. Though if they would be more competitive with pay they would reduce a lot of the high turn over. – less
Nice place to work but management not so nice
pricing specialist (Current Employee), KentJune 18, 2013
Pros: long lunches, flexiblity on hours, many special lunches
Cons: managment, lack of training
My typical day at work is productive and busy

I have learned a few things but mostly what I learned I had to teach myself for there training is almost non existant and when you ask for help managment gets mad at you and yells at you for being stupid they have actually made a few people cry
I love most of my coworkers we are a close group and I consider – more... most of them my friends

the hardest thing about my job is the lack of communication and training it makes it hard to do your job

The most enjoyable thing about my job is the people I get to talk to and the fact I am always busy – less
Merchandiser
Merchandising (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 7, 2013
Pros: discounts of dented beer
Cons: work until work is done. no set schedule
Work product from load and distribute items to shelf. Managment can be nice, but expect ten hour of work to be done in 6. Coworkers can be good, however the majority of the workers are lazy. Hardest part of the job is dealing with managers and recieving clerks.
Low pay, hard work and no recognition
Merchandiser/Sales Relief (2010) (Former Employee), Salem, ORApril 21, 2013
Not a great place to work. They do not care about personal problems or trying to help accommodate them.
Descent place to work
Driver (Former Employee), Medford, ORMarch 27, 2013
Pros: health care, and retirement benefits
Cons: theres not a whole lot of teamwork reinforcement
Some what difficult for advancement in different departments
A very large company with good benefits
Accounts Receivable & payables (Former Employee), Portland, ORDecember 14, 2012
Pros: you were able to buy beverages and a great cost
Cons: very stressful
They were a great company when I first went to work for them, they did a big merge and things changed. They offered great benefits.
Questionable
Anonymous (Former Employee), WANovember 5, 2012
A lot of turnover, poor management, too much executive ego and poor compensation.
For personal discussion
Corporate Credit Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, OR 97217October 12, 2012
For personal discussion. I do not provide detailed information such as this in a public format.
Great place to work, management needs a help.
Driver (Former Employee), OregonAugust 31, 2011
Pros: competitive hourly wage, great benefits, 2 weeks vacation after one year
Cons: managers, never answers phone, favoritism
Employees are great to work with. Most of the time it's a team atmosphere. Management can be a pain. Some managers have no clue what they are doing. Unqualified managers.

About Columbia Distributing

One of the nation's largest suppliers of craft beers, Columbia Distributing also carries wine, soda, and other non-alcoholic beverages. – Read more