Columbia Distributing Employee Reviews

Working a lot, tons of overtime
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 10, 2016
Typical day- Go to work at 5am, work till about nine or ten take lunch, go back to work, finish then go home. Depending on how big stores are i can have anywhere between 3 to 5 stores and getting off anywhere between 1pm and 6pm depending on the day

What I learned- i learned how to keep pushing my self even though i though i hit my limit, also better reflexes, memory skill increase of items and where they go as well where stores locations in multiple areas over the last two years in both the Federal Way, Auburn, Sumner, Puyallup, Sumner, and Bonney Lake areas.

Management- the manager i have is someone i respect because he can be a funny person but completely takes his work seriously.

Co-workers- for the most part everybody gets along but there are times were we get on each others nerves

Hardest part of the job- not having a set time off. Makes it hard to balance both my social life and my work life

Most enjoyable part of the job- not being in one place all the time and the money.
Pros
money multiple locations
Cons
makes it really hard to have a balanced life
Fast paced industry with high expectations.
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 19, 2016
Great company with the culture of "work hard, play hard. Expectations are high and compensation fair. Management is fair and supportive.
Pros
Good benefits
Fun company to work for
Customer Service/Dock Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 10, 2017
Great people and management. Started at 8 am and finished up at 5 pm. Monday through Friday. Hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers over the phone. Best part was building a team comradeship.
Stocking Shelves With Beverages
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 1, 2017
You get assigned certain stores (Safeways, Mini Markets, etc.) and you focus on restocking the shelves with your products. You work at your own pace, but I'd recommend moving quick. The work environment varies from store to store. You spend time in large coolers and store aisles. You check in with your supervisor throughout the day wether it be a phone call or text. The hardest part about doing this job is merchandising big stores on your own because it feels like you're there forever. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different store managers and employees.
Pros
You get paid for every mile you drive, flexible schedule
Cons
You have to use your own car to go store to store, frequent oil changes
Work hard, long hour as salaried employee..... fair compensation
Sales department (Former Employee) –  OregonAugust 13, 2016
Columbia has a great sales portfolio and a huge footprint over the majority of Oregon, a large portion of Washington and a portion of northern California

This is a sales based organization that depends on great service to develop and maintain good business relations with it's customers. It operates with tight budgetary restrictions and therefore tends to run tight on labor. If you are in an hourly position expect minimal overtime but if you are salaried, expect long hours and high expectations.
Once was a great place to work.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 30, 2016
A typical day was anything but. You never knew what you might walk into each day and it was challenging.
Over the years I learned how to teach others to enjoy their job and have fun. Work shouldn't be a source of dread that you hate to get up for in the morning.
The management staff left a little to be desired as there didn't seem to be any leadership on a consistent level. They were OK but you have to trust that your manager will support you and that was rarely the case.
My co-workers were amazing people and I would have stayed there for them alone. We were a talented team who enthusiastically attacked our workload and kept the masses happy with the results.
The hardest part was keeping leadership focused on a common goal.
I really loved what I did for a living, how many people get to say that. The hours were flexible even though 50 hrs a week was average, the pay was acceptable and I had a great team.
Pros
Cheap beer and wine
Cons
Health Insurance steadily declined but wasn't horrible.
Horrible job!
Key merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJuly 1, 2016
I've worked here for almost a year in Klamath, manager is two faced and will never give you a straight answer always just blowing smoke up your tail pipe. The in town supervisor is not qualified for the job (no management skills or people skills) you barely get lunches in an 8-10 hour shifts, they say it's up to you if you want to take one ( but you might end up getting punished by getting sent home earlier than everyone else) the will change your schedule with no notice and make you work in stores you've not worked before and expect you to do perfect.
Pros
Cons
The company.
fun work place, always advancing
Sales/Grocery (Chain) (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 31, 2016
I enjoyed working at Columbia Distributing.
40-45 hours was a tipical week, management was well informed of all new ithems and passed information along to sales reps in a timely manner.
I enjoyed most the fact that every day brought different challenges
Hardworking company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORSeptember 7, 2016
Stocked the major chains. Mainly alcohol, and soda beverages. Worked with the buyers and the stores to maintain inventory and stock. Paid hourly, good overtime.
Pros
On our schedule
Cons
Bad experience with this company!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  OregonSeptember 9, 2016
After working for this company for over a year I found myself very depressed and had a all around life changing experience for the worse. I ended up having to quit because I could just not take a day more. Underpaid and under staffed with no acknolagement or appreciation shown for any of your work done only degrading remarks that make you feel as if you are nothing to the company. They make you feel bad if you want to take your breaks or a lunch. I would not reccomend this job to anyone.
Pros
Beer
All I've known
Warehouse Receiving (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 12, 2017
Columbia is an employer I've known for years. Just like any company they have their ups and downs but overall I enjoyed working for them. They have grown and are still growing with the help of everyone.
Enthusiastic and productive workplace
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 19, 2016
A typical shift of mine starts at 3:15am and begins with paperwork prep for the day and do a pre-trip inspection on my tractor and trailer. I then head out to multiple stops to deliver beer, wine and soda. The most enjoyable part of my day is the many interactions that I have with customers, as I have built great relationships throughout my time in this position.
Really good people
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 15, 2017
I loved working here, I wish I could have gotten hired on but hey it was fun while it lasted. Could use a little more honesty in the hiring process but in the end it was for the best.
Pros
cheap beer
Cons
no communication with temps
a typical day
order picker (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 2, 2017
consists of 13 to 16 hours a day while picking a quota of 176,6 an hour. I was forklift cerified an had a bid spot in the keg room an learned how to move liquids using MHE
A nice place to learn the beer world
sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 26, 2016
Columbia is a good company to work your way through they like to hire with in. Lots of training class offered to employs to grow their knowledge of the industry.
New exciting and challenging
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 11, 2017
A very fun and challenging atmosphere with great people and very dedicated clients made my tenure at this company very Pleasant
Pros
Flexible route and great product to represent
Cons
None to speak of
Good People, Limited Opportunities
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 18, 2016
Saw a lot of people leave in the 18 months I was there. Some of the talented co-workers chose to transition out of the company; others left when there was a reorganization.
Pros
Access to beverages at really good prices.
Cons
Company constantly in flux, reorganizing departments, personnel changes, etc.
Probably one of the best companies you could ever work for.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2016
Who doesn't love selling alcohol? This company not only shows you all the ins and outs of how to effectively sell alcohol in every scenario but they do it in such a way that every day is fun and exciting. There is never really a bad day when you work with some of the best people and brands in the industry and if by some chance you get bored of your day to day, your managers are more then willing to help you find a better fit for you.
Pros
Get to sample all the new beverages in the industry.
Cons
Salary.
I enjoyed my time at Columbia
CDL Driver, Customer Service, (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2016
Some times the work load is absolutly grueling, however, when times are good they're great. As a driver you build grerat relationships with customers all over. Managment typically stays off your back as long as you are doing your job. I had three day weekends every week and after 6 years 3 weeks vacation a year.
Pros
Cheap Beer, adventurous
Cons
The hours, some customers are very hard to work with
Fun place to work management is ok not the greatest
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORAugust 15, 2016
Keeps you out and about which can be fun and you meet and work with great people I have enjoyed working here and they are very eager to move employees up in the ranks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia Distributing. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8