Columbia Forest Products

Columbia Forest Products Employee Reviews in United States

Hard work and alot of dust in the air I am tired of breathing in. After 16+ years I am ready for a change
Veneer Lathe Operator (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEFebruary 17, 2016
It was a good job for awhile, but after so many yers of breathing dust in and the early morning hours(330 - 230) Mondays and (400-230) the rest of the week I am ready for a change. I don't get enough rest and am always tired because of that. I would have to go to bed at supper time to get enough rest, but that defeats the purpose of a day job. I like to hang out with my family after supper.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Dust, early hours
productive and competitve paying warehouse/mill based job
Forklift operator, composer tech (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaJanuary 10, 2016
I worked at Columbia Forest Products for almost 8 years. It is a plywood manufacturing mill. Shifts are twelve hours and rotate for a good bit of work/life balance. You usually work a total of 40+ hours a week but the twelve hour shifts let you have 3-4 days off. Good experience with management and co-workers. It is a production plywood plant/mill so you are required to work with lots of machinery and equipment, while producing efficient and consistent numbers. Hardest part of the job for most people would be the long hours, and production demand. Best part of the job is that for the local area it has competitive wages and benefits.
Pros
good benefits, competitive wages, good work enviroment, friendly co-workers
Cons
12 hour shifts, production demands
A lot of fun with some great people
Splicer service utility (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MESeptember 9, 2015
I do enjoy working at this place I have a lot of friends here and I also have a lot of fun. I like working with my hands and making things work.
good company
Booker/Marker..Trainer..first responder (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle MaineAugust 11, 2015
good place to work, detail to safety, high quality of product, family environment between co-workers, easy to work with management.
duties of a whole piece veneer grader
Whole Piece Grader (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJuly 21, 2015
computer skills
data entry
team work
train new employees
Pros
excellent pay, benefits, easy work environment
Cons
no room for advancement
great
build plwood (Former Employee) –  Old Fort, NCJuly 11, 2015
great job love working there like the job I done great place to work the people that wok there was very nice and very helpful I learned to bulid plywood and run forklift and other stuff
good
good
Good job, great people to work with.
Composer Operator (Former Employee) –  Craigsville, WVApril 25, 2015
Good place to work. If you work hard and do your job you will have no problems. Boss was easy to please as long as you kept busy and done what you were supposed to.
Pros
Good pay, great coworkers and 12 hour days give you 3 or 4 days off each week
Cons
Very hot in the summer, a lot of mandatory overtime
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Chatham, VAJanuary 27, 2015
1. Review work that was completed and inspect the work site to ensure machinery is working correctly or modification was implemented correctly
2. Reassign work that wasn't completed and inform management of the work that still needs to be done.
3. Enquire from management of any additional tasks that might need to be planned or performed in the upcoming weeks or immediate actions that need to be done.
4. Work with vendors on parts that are deficient delaying job plans from being implemented
5. Review part deficiency and order parts from vendors
Pros
small but close relationships with everyone
Cons
no real chance of advancement
great place to work
Floor Leader (Former Employee) –  Chatham, VAJanuary 13, 2015
learn how to grade distinguish plywood. managed a group of excellent workees
Pros
great palce
Cons
3 shift
terrible workplace
Unspliced Grader (Former Employee) –  Newport, VTOctober 27, 2014
good co workers, management was terrible and company was not run to it's full potential. help people back from striving to do more
Good people fun job!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Craigsville, WVOctober 21, 2014
Low pay! hours and schedual was great! bosses are jerks.
Hard to move up but it is possible
Pros
close to home
Cons
clock out for lunch low pay
good place to work
scaler,loader operator (Former Employee) –  Craigsville, WVSeptember 2, 2014
to run loader k-boom grader and to scale logs. magement wasn't bad just had trouble with one supervisor but they fired him shortly after I left.co-workers were great. most enjoyable part was the day shift.
The Truth About Coulmbia Forest Chatham, VA
Press/Spreader Operator (Current Employee) –  Chatham, VAAugust 28, 2014
To be honest there are more cons to this job than a chain gang on an interstate highway clean up crew. A few pros while dealing with this job are good benefits and the hours are guaranteed. The pay, while ok, is the lowest paid plant when compared to the pay rate of the other Columbia Forest plants. You will get a good physical work out while on the press, however, the wear and tear the job places on the body is high. That's where it ends as far as pros go. CFP does not care about your personal life. Once you are clocked in you belong to them, personal issues such as family emergencies or if you are sick, they don't care. You will be punished for it, even with the note of a doctor, medical care facility, ect. it does not matter to them. You will still get written up unless you are management. The only thing that matters is a death in your immediate family and that is about it. The behind closed doors racism and favoritism sticks out like a sore thumb and can be observed if one sits back and watches enough. They are an equal opportunity employer but that's it. You are just good enough to work on the floor. The only promotions I witnessed during the whole time I was there where 2 maybe 3 African Americans that where qualified and very capable, while I witnessed countless unqualified and undeserving promotions of Caucasians. It doesn't matter if you have graduate fro an Ivy League school if you are African American, at CFP Chatham, you stand a greater chance of promotion if you are white and/or a family member. Then you will make it, promotion wise, to the top. Not to mention you  more... can be the most qualified educated black male and not get the job, but be the most unqualified laziest ignorant non experience white man can get the jobs hands down. This has been observed first hand. As far as co-workers go there are a lot of okay people but they are stretched far and thin by department and shift, and there is a lot of back stabbing, snitching, two facing and running in the office behind closed door tattling in exchange for job security. As far as unemployment goes, forget it, CFP will do whatever is in their power to keep you from getting it. That money is needed for their lead/supervisor outings such as their expensive lunches, all expense paid golf trips where they are being paid as if on the clock the entire time they are golfing, and their Hunter's Lodge membership expenses. If you are white this is the job for you, if you are white and a family member hey you are gonna make it to the top almost effortlessly. If you are black you might get it and if you do you will just work on the floor and that's bout it. If you are black and intelligent you will get the job, just don't let them know how intelligent you are because they fear that the most. If you are black and a sell out or an uncle tom you will get it and keep it until the need for you is no longer there and then it's over. If you have any kind of serious health issues while employed such as a heart attack or brain aneurism ad have to be out of work, it is advised you start seeking other employment when you are released from your doctor because in the end you will be terminated even if you are under the care of a doctor without unemployment benefits. Yes, this happened while I was there! Also if you have an aneurism while on the job and death occurs, the family will get no compensation as they will deem this as your fault. Yes, this also happened while I was there! So, do you still want the job?  less
Pros
benefits, guaranteed ours, pay (however lower than other plants)
Cons
favortism, racism, no chance for advancement if a minority, uncaring of personal or health issues, backstabbing
maintaine a full time job and maintain my business by subcontracting
laborer, electrical or any position (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEApril 3, 2014
I work very hard, I'm responsible to my customers and coworkers. Always open to learning new opportunities to benefit myself and employer. Work well with co-workers. The hardest part of my business was not being able to find have enough customers. The most enjoyable part was trying to build my business.
Pros
my own boss
Cons
need to have a full time employment
opperated forklift at a veneer manufactoring plant
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMarch 26, 2014
as piles of veneer got full i would move them to a press to be banded
Pros
good pay
Cons
night shift
Good
Wood Composer Operator (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NCOctober 14, 2013
Columbia was a good place to work. My boss let me go with 80 more people in the factory.
Pros
good co-workers great pay
Cons
management
Good Working Culture
PSP Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJuly 8, 2013
Production, Quality, and Safety, 3 three pieces to the Culture there. Good people, a few tense co-workers. Team leads could use a little work though. Big shots with little care of the production workers.
no value of employees
laborer (Former Employee) –  Newport, VTMay 13, 2013
CFP practices in favoritism and nepotism. On any given day I would arrive to work with a team of 5. The team should rotate positions every 30 minutes, as it is hard on the eyes and back. However most days this rule was not enforced as two girls would complain to their supervisor if they had to move. I learned it didn't make any difference to complain because things never changed. The hardest part of the job is working with people who feel they are entitled. The last few years I was employed I worked with several serious injuries and medical conditions. My employer refused to work with me by not allowing me to return to work on a light duty basis, forcing me to use up my FMLA and providing them with an excuse to terminate my employment. The only part of my job that I enjoyed towards the end was the end of the day. In the beginning I loved going to work, it is where I met my wife of 22yrs. But I no longer feel that they care about their employees.
Pros
401k, health-care, esop
Cons
short/skipped breaks, favoritism/nepotism, last minute notice to work saturdays
Great place to work, too far from home
Operator/Veneer Grader (Former Employee) –  Craigsville, WVFebruary 13, 2013
nice place to work, too far from home to drive. work load was ok. manager easy to please.
I worked with a great crew. very fun environment
Piler (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEDecember 27, 2012
Day starts at 3pm and we worked till 1am. I worked with a great crew and and manager was down to earth. The hardest part about the job I believe was the physical labor. It was exhausted but it was worth the compensation and benefits.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
dusty and very hot