Columbia Forest Products Employee Reviews

Good pay, poor environment
Milwright (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIJanuary 14, 2018
Columbia Forest Products treats their employees poorly. They pay good for this area. Poor safety requirements and they train improperly. I would not recommend this job to others.
Fair place to work
DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Old Fort, NCDecember 31, 2017
Good place to work if you have a good attitude towards teamwork and hard work ethics. Can be a dirty job at times. Maintenance skills are highly liked if you have them because a lot of the operators have the chance to work on their own equipment if needed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Na
January 17, 2018

Thank you for the review. We love hearing from our current employees! We pride ourselves on our team atmosphere and we know it is people like you that help to make us who we are. Thank you for your dedication, support and for being part of our team.

Fast paced rewarding fun work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Trumann, ARNovember 11, 2017
Very fast paced environment. Always busy but never overworked... It was a very fun and highly beneficial work place. I enjoyed my time there at the factory, I'm actually considering applying again.
Pros
Frequent bonuses and great pay
Cons
10 hour shifts
January 17, 2018

What a great testimonial! Thank you! We love hearing from our previous employees, and we also love hearing when they are considering returning to the company. We always welcome our former teammates. Wherever your future path takes you, we wish you the best of luck!

Ok
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WINovember 5, 2017
Too many breaks in one scheduled shift per day. Break every two hours. You just get everything all set up then its break time again. We all know it takes much more time prepping things than it does the actual repair, just get it done and move on.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Too many breaks
January 17, 2018

Thank you for your constructive feedback. It helps us to hear from our former employees so that we may address issues going forward. We will make sure to pass this assessment along to the supervisors at the Mellen location. We hope that any future career endeavors prove to be successful and positive for you!

If you're not a "good ole boy" you won't get anywhere.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Craigsville, WVOctober 24, 2017
There were numberous occasion where management would pick there old working buddies or their fathers fishing buddies for advancement, not the employee that worked hard everyday and worked there longer than the "good ole boy". It was a good place to work benifit wise and pay was good but the book will be thrown at you if your not the "good ole boy". Breaks were only 10 mins a peice with a 20 min lunch in a 12 hour shift. If you get sick better make sure you save your personal days cause you will have to use them instead of having sick time to take care of a cold or other minor medical issues. They run off the point system you are only allowed 8 call offs a year. It takes a full year from the date you received your point for it to come off. If you get all eight points you point out. If a family members is sick or in the hospital they don't have anyway of letting you off unless you use the personal time you were given to take care of them unless you are the primary care giver. If you like to have a fast paced, bust your rear end, work day then that's the place for you.
Pros
Benefits, pay.
Cons
Favoritism, breaks, no personal time.
November 17, 2017

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It always helps us to hear the opinions of our former employees so that we can make adjustments where needed, even within our management practices. It is also important for us to find out what our employees need and how we can improve our benefits packages company wide. We hope you have found the right career fit for you, and we appreciate hearing your account of this.

Great job to start out in
Mill worker (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, OROctober 19, 2017
There was a big turnover with employees and that caused a constant training of new employees. Problems with machines would get ignored and safety was ignored until someone got hurt much too often. Toward the end of my career a lot of management supervisors left there positions for one reason or another. When I started there was a more positive atmosphere and more friendly of an environment.
Pros
Stock options and decent benefits
Cons
monotonous work, rude and unpolite upper management.
November 17, 2017

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear that your experience went from positive to undesirable. With feedback from former employees like yourself, we can address these issues and hopefully move forward in a positive direction. We would love to hear more about your time here at CFP. Please reach out to the HR Manager at your former location whenever possible so we can continue the conversation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Pretty laid back place to work, They gave us free tigkets to Bush Gardens and cooked us a free fried chicken dinner the day we went.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Chatham, VAOctober 7, 2017
Columbia Forest was a good place to work, as long as you could operate a Forklift. The pay was good and they offered different types of insurance, But it was exspensive. It was bought out about 10yrs ago.
Pros
They offered insurance and after you had been there so long you got sick days and vacation days.
Cons
Some of the forklifts were unsafe but we had to use them.
November 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. We try to give our employees the best work experience possible, including great pay, benefits, and special perks like fun outings as you have mentioned. Thanks for also bringing the forklift issue to our attention. We will make sure that management at the Chatham, VA location is aware of this. Again, thank you for your testimonial.

columbia forest products
Track bander (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, OROctober 2, 2017
Columbia forest products does pay very well however job can be very stressful and laborious. At Columbia sometimes it is very difficult to find exactly what you are supposed to be doing because you can never get straight answers.
Pros
pay is well
Cons
short breaks
November 17, 2017

Thanks for the review. We are happy to hear that your pay is satisfactory. And you are right - working in this industry is certainly hard work and can be stressful at times. However, if you are feeling that you aren’t receiving direction from your superiors, please let the Human Resources department know. Your feedback is what helps us to make positive changes and move in the right direction.

Machine Operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Trumann, ARSeptember 27, 2017
I was a machine operator that had multiple tasks that I had to complete a day, all day. They put too much responsibility on one person and the job role.
October 11, 2017

Thank you for your candid review. We are sorry to hear you thought the role was too much responsibility for one person. We are constantly looking at ways to better our employment experiences, and honest feedback like yours helps us accomplish this. We would enjoy communicating more about this and appreciate your thoughts. If interested, please reach out to the HR Manager at your former location. Thanks again for your review.

recommended company
Crew leader (Former Employee) –  Newcomerstown, OHAugust 21, 2017
work days and employees very friendly and considerate. id recommend anyone to work here. pay could be increased. management is average. hardest part was dealing with customers
September 13, 2017

Thank you so much for your review. It means a lot to us to have former employees recommend CFP as a friendly place to work. We wish you well on your career path!

Good
Folklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Old Fort, NCAugust 15, 2017
It's a good place to work great benefits and family like me work place. The only thing is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The management are all down to earth type of people
September 13, 2017

Thank you for the positive feedback! We strive to provide great benefits for our employees, as well as supportive management. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

The Columbia way
Slicer Operator (Current Employee) –  Newport, VTJune 13, 2017
Columbia forest products is an amazing opportunity for leading advancing. Or even starting over they management is easy to work with and always give everyone a chance. The pay is very good and the benefits are amazing all around if your looking for a good factory job it's the right fit
July 25, 2017

Excellent to hear! We strive to create a work environment that provides employees an opportunity to grow and better themselves. Thanks!

Work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Chatham, VAJune 5, 2017
Steady work with some weekends. Shifts range from 8-12 hours. Always find ways to stay busy. Hours depend on the department a person works in. Some outside work also.
Pros
Holidays Off
Cons
Short breaks
July 25, 2017

Thank you for your review. We’re always looking for ways to make working at Columbia Forest Products better and more fulfilling for you as an employee.

Stable place to work.
Press Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIApril 29, 2017
Good place, but loud to work at. Very professional place with decent managers. Swing shift was hard to get used to, but otherwise, a decent place to work.
May 5, 2017

Thanks for your review. We’re glad to hear you are a positive experience while with our organization and wish you luck on your future career opportunities.

Good pay. Poor management.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Old Fort, NCApril 28, 2017
Started out a great place to work with lots of opportunities to learn new jobs. There are minimal opportunities for advancement unless you are a friend of management. Management places people where they want them with no regard to education or experience. A willingness to do whatever it takes to keep the mill running just gets an individual more work with no reward.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
May 5, 2017

Thank you for the time spent leaving us your review. We’re sorry to hear your experience isn’t shaping up the way you have hoped it would. We are always looking to better ourselves as managers and an organization overall. Receiving honest feedback from our employee owners is just one of the ways we can better understand our areas of improvement. Thanks again.

occasionally rough work conditions but overall very good place to work
Dryer Operator (Former Employee) –  Old Fort, NCApril 14, 2017
Very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter but always very supportive, almost family like crews. Good team work, very clear and regularly enforced rules and regulations. Long hours but very good pay and benefits. Very easy to build not only good work relationships but outside of work friend relationships. Would and have recommended to several people.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, good management, promotes team work
Cons
Very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter, long hours
May 5, 2017

Thank you for your comments! We have worked tirelessly to build a family atmosphere at CFP and we’re glad you enjoyed your time while with us. You’re right, our industry isn’t for the faint-hearted and requires hard work, attention to detail and working through some less than ideal weather conditions. Thanks again for your review and we wish you the best of luck on your next endeavors.

Fun place to work, if you're there to actually work, great benefits.
Grader/ Piler (Current Employee) –  Newport, VTMarch 16, 2017
Since starting at Columbia forest products, I have found a new sense of confidence. I have formed amazing relationships with my coworkers and supervisor. There is always opportunity to move up within the company, and there are a lot of benefits. 401k, health coverage, gain share. Etc.
March 30, 2017

Thank you so much for your review! It is wonderful to hear you have had such a rewarding experience with us thus far. We always want our employees to form great working relationships with each other. It generally yields a higher quality product and a higher quality service. Keep up the good work!

Bad place to work
Millwright 4 and Splicer Technician (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEFebruary 10, 2017
Drama filled, micro managed, Pay is least out of all industrial places in area, will hire anyone that passes a drug test or not, overall an unfriendly place to work
Cons
Micro-Management
February 28, 2017

We’re sorry to hear your experience with us wasn’t as rewarding as we hoped it would have been. We appreciate your candor and are always looking for ways to better out employment experiences. Thank you for your review.

Excellent place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Old Fort, NCFebruary 9, 2017
Employee owned,good pay, great benefits. Steady work, long time tenures, great and caring people. Good training on lean processes, and 5S activites. Unlimited support.
Pros
Employee owned
Cons
Work 3rd shift
February 28, 2017

Thanks so much for your review! It was great to hear you had such a rewarding time while being a member of our Old Fort team. We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors and if you are interested in returning to CFP, just reach back to us. Thanks again.

Enjiyed my job
Matcher (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIDecember 15, 2016
Always a leaning experience Shifts went by fast. Got alone with all my co-workers. Hardest part of my job was the stacker if it got jammed. I enjoyed head matching the best.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Team leads are inexperienced
December 22, 2016

It’s always great to hear when one of our employees enjoyed their time while with us. We’re sorry to see you go, but if you’re interested in making another change, please keep us in mind!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia Forest Products. Our community is ready to answer.