Columbia Forest Products

Columbia Forest Products Employer Reviews

maintaine a full time job and maintain my business by subcontracting
laborer, electrical or any position (Current Employee), Presque Isle, MEApril 3, 2014
Pros: my own boss
Cons: need to have a full time employment
I work very hard, I'm responsible to my customers and coworkers. Always open to learning new opportunities to benefit myself and employer. Work well with co-workers. The hardest part of my business was not being able to find have enough customers. The most enjoyable part was trying to build my business.
opperated forklift at a veneer manufactoring plant
Laborer (Former Employee), Presque Isle, MEMarch 26, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: night shift
as piles of veneer got full i would move them to a press to be banded
Good
Wood Composer Operator (Former Employee), Garden City, NCOctober 14, 2013
Pros: good co-workers great pay
Cons: management
Columbia was a good place to work. My boss let me go with 80 more people in the factory.
Good Working Culture
PSP Team Leader (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORJuly 8, 2013
Production, Quality, and Safety, 3 three pieces to the Culture there. Good people, a few tense co-workers. Team leads could use a little work though. Big shots with little care of the production workers.
no value of employees
laborer (Former Employee), Newport, VTMay 13, 2013
Pros: 401k, health-care, esop
Cons: short/skipped breaks, favoritism/nepotism, last minute notice to work saturdays
CFP practices in favoritism and nepotism. On any given day I would arrive to work with a team of 5. The team should rotate positions every 30 minutes, as it is hard on the eyes and back. However most days this rule was not enforced as two girls would complain to their supervisor if they had to move. I learned it didn't make any difference to complain – more... because things never changed. The hardest part of the job is working with people who feel they are entitled. The last few years I was employed I worked with several serious injuries and medical conditions. My employer refused to work with me by not allowing me to return to work on a light duty basis, forcing me to use up my FMLA and providing them with an excuse to terminate my employment. The only part of my job that I enjoyed towards the end was the end of the day. In the beginning I loved going to work, it is where I met my wife of 22yrs. But I no longer feel that they care about their employees. – less
Great place to work, too far from home
Operator/Veneer Grader (Former Employee), Craigsville, WVFebruary 13, 2013
nice place to work, too far from home to drive. work load was ok. manager easy to please.
I worked with a great crew. very fun environment
Piler (Former Employee), Presque Isle, MEDecember 27, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: dusty and very hot
Day starts at 3pm and we worked till 1am. I worked with a great crew and and manager was down to earth. The hardest part about the job I believe was the physical labor. It was exhausted but it was worth the compensation and benefits.
Good family oriented place to work.
2nd Shift leadperson (Former Employee), Marion, NCDecember 11, 2012
Pros: free coffee and good pay
Cons: hot in summer and cold in winter
It was a fast paced environment laden with different challenges, good people and a secure and reliable job.
A great place to work
Lean Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee), Mellen, WIJuly 20, 2012
Pros: gainsharing, close knit
Cons: limited advancement opportunity
The people are enjoyable and willing to work to accomplish the long term goal. It was a place I enjoyed to go every day.
Great Employer
Payroll/HRIS Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 15, 2012
Great Employer, good people to work with. This position helped me develope management skills.
Productive and fun with great people
Log Cleaner (Former Employee), Rutherglen, ONFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: amazing benefits
Cons: crazy heat in the building in the summer months
Very hard to say much about Columbia when I was only there a little over a year but one thing for sure is that safety was their first priority of the employees. For sure I learned how to work hard and to work fast which was the only pace the mill had. The place had a great relationship among all the people. You always knew what you were doing and that – more... you were gonna go home safe at the end of the day and to me that really matters. – less
Physically demanding
Wood Grader (Former Employee), Rutherglen, ONAugust 1, 2012
Not a thinking job but physically demanding.
Worked with many good people

About Columbia Forest Products

Columbia Forest Products is North America's largest manufacturer of hardwood plywood and hardwood veneer, a long-standing leader – Read more