Columbia Forest Products

Columbia Forest Products Employee Reviews

Great beneffits and much overtime, but no time for life or family in my department.
Taper Operator 3 (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIOctober 7, 2016
I deeply regret leaving my position at CFP, simply because I cannot find another similar paying job in this area. If anyone is seeking excellent benefits, overtime and profit sharing, this may be the job for you.
Pros
Much overtime and better wage than anywhere else around here for a person with no degree.
Cons
Swing shifts and 50-58 hours per week are brutal
October 31, 2016

We greatly appreciate you spending some time and sharing your thoughts and experiences. We are terribly sorry to hear that you feel there isn’t time for your family in your department. As you know, we are an employee-owned company and each employee has their own family they want to be sure to spend time with. We are always encouraging family and community outings at each of our locations and even providing a family-like feel. But, unfortunately we are not perfect. No one is. It’s terrible to hear you had to leave your position with us, but should you feel the need to share more about your experiences or simply would like to consider giving us another shot, we want to hear from you. Simply contact the HR Department at 336-605-0429. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Bad place to work
Millwright 4 and Splicer Technician (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEFebruary 10, 2017
Drama filled, micro managed, Pay is least out of all industrial places in area, will hire anyone that passes a drug test or not, overall an unfriendly place to work
Cons
Micro-Management
February 28, 2017

We’re sorry to hear your experience with us wasn’t as rewarding as we hoped it would have been. We appreciate your candor and are always looking for ways to better out employment experiences. Thank you for your review.

Excellent place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Old Fort, NCFebruary 9, 2017
Employee owned,good pay, great benefits. Steady work, long time tenures, great and caring people. Good training on lean processes, and 5S activites. Unlimited support.
Pros
Employee owned
Cons
Work 3rd shift
February 28, 2017

Thanks so much for your review! It was great to hear you had such a rewarding time while being a member of our Old Fort team. We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors and if you are interested in returning to CFP, just reach back to us. Thanks again.

Good paying with mind numbing work.
Maintenance assistant (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIOctober 25, 2016
Columbia is a place you go to make money with little to no education or work experience. The people that work there are either all old and have been there for 20 years or young and just started working there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
The work is boring
February 28, 2017

Thank you for leaving us a review. We appreciate your personal account of your work experience while being a member of our team. We always hope to provide our employees with long lasting career opportunities, while we also recognize the fact that our line of work is not for everybody. Thank you again for the time you spent at our Mellen location.

Great place needs some work
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  FloorSeptember 14, 2016
Overall great place to work needs some changes made to leadership though straight out of school big shots with very little knowledge, respect, appreciation for production staff and overall work ethic
Pros
Fairly well compensated for position
Cons
Supervision needs brought "back to earth"
October 31, 2016

Thank you for your review. We are constantly looking at ways to grow with our management approaches and honest feedback like you have provided allows us to better understand our employees. Managers bring different levels of experience as well as advantages, but at times, differences in personalities may not resonate with their staff. We are working with our entire management team to improve their ability to connect and encourage their employees to continue to be great. You are a valued member of our team and thank you again for your comments. Should you wish to provide any additional insight, we are all ears. Just contact the HR Department at 336-605-0429.

Enjiyed my job
Matcher (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIDecember 15, 2016
Always a leaning experience Shifts went by fast. Got alone with all my co-workers. Hardest part of my job was the stacker if it got jammed. I enjoyed head matching the best.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Team leads are inexperienced
December 22, 2016

It’s always great to hear when one of our employees enjoyed their time while with us. We’re sorry to see you go, but if you’re interested in making another change, please keep us in mind!

productive, meaningful work
Lift Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Craigsville, WVSeptember 10, 2016
good working environment, safety is the key to success, learned that quality will keep you in business.
loved the schedule, 3 on 4 off, lots of time to enjoy the outdoors
Pros
time off. good pay
Cons
healthcare
October 31, 2016

It’s great to hear you have had such a meaningful experience while with us. We are certainly proud of the work we do and the employees we have. We always are glad to hear that the feeling is mutual. Keep up the great work!

fun employees, laid back
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Trumann, ARJuly 30, 2016
its a laid back job at times, nice employees, no heat or air, and it smells horrible in the summer time. its a job and it pays the bills
Pros
Employees
Cons
environment
October 31, 2016

Thanks for your comments! Our employee culture is extremely important to us and we are glad you have enjoyed the members of your team you work with. I’m sure you’ll agree, there is always the time and place for a “laid back” day or two. We want all of our employees to enjoy what they are doing and believe they are making an impact within our organization and each community we serve. Unfortunately, the nature of the industry provides the smell. Outside of losing the summertime heat, not sure what else can be done to remedy this – but it also adds to the charm, don’t you think? Thanks again.

Productive and fun workplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mellen, WIAugust 12, 2016
I learned a lot while working for this company. It was a great job, with wonderful benefits. My boss was always very helpful and positive.
October 31, 2016

Excellent to hear! We strive to provide a learning and educational environment in addition to productive employment. We are always looking to better our employees careers and it sounds like yours has improved along the way. We hope you continue to cherish your experience with us as you continue to make your own career growth and moves. Thanks!

Hard work and alot of dust in the air I am tired of breathing in. After 16+ years I am ready for a change
Veneer Lathe Operator (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEFebruary 17, 2016
It was a good job for awhile, but after so many yers of breathing dust in and the early morning hours(330 - 230) Mondays and (400-230) the rest of the week I am ready for a change. I don't get enough rest and am always tired because of that. I would have to go to bed at supper time to get enough rest, but that defeats the purpose of a day job. I like to hang out with my family after supper.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Dust, early hours
productive and competitve paying warehouse/mill based job
Forklift operator, composer tech (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaJanuary 10, 2016
I worked at Columbia Forest Products for almost 8 years. It is a plywood manufacturing mill. Shifts are twelve hours and rotate for a good bit of work/life balance. You usually work a total of 40+ hours a week but the twelve hour shifts let you have 3-4 days off. Good experience with management and co-workers. It is a production plywood plant/mill so you are required to work with lots of machinery and equipment, while producing efficient and consistent numbers. Hardest part of the job for most people would be the long hours, and production demand. Best part of the job is that for the local area it has competitive wages and benefits.
Pros
good benefits, competitive wages, good work enviroment, friendly co-workers
Cons
12 hour shifts, production demands
good place to work
General labor (Current Employee) –  Craigsville, WVMay 10, 2016
good place to work great people to work with great management lot,s of time off work good insurance and retirement, company has good job security
Working Team Lead/Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  Old Fort, NCFebruary 9, 2016
I learned a lot from Columbia Forest Products i progressed with the company fast and learned to lead. Which taught me to handle situations and overcome problems of all kind.
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Chatham, VAJanuary 27, 2015
1. Review work that was completed and inspect the work site to ensure machinery is working correctly or modification was implemented correctly
2. Reassign work that wasn't completed and inform management of the work that still needs to be done.
3. Enquire from management of any additional tasks that might need to be planned or performed in the upcoming weeks or immediate actions that need to be done.
4. Work with vendors on parts that are deficient delaying job plans from being implemented
5. Review part deficiency and order parts from vendors
Pros
Small but close relationships with everyone
Cons
No real chance of advancement
maintaine a full time job and maintain my business by subcontracting
laborer, electrical or any position (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEApril 3, 2014
I work very hard, I'm responsible to my customers and coworkers. Always open to learning new opportunities to benefit myself and employer. Work well with co-workers. The hardest part of my business was not being able to find have enough customers. The most enjoyable part was trying to build my business.
Pros
my own boss
Cons
need to have a full time employment
duties of a whole piece veneer grader
Whole Piece Grader (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJuly 21, 2015
computer skills
data entry
team work
train new employees
Pros
excellent pay, benefits, easy work environment
Cons
no room for advancement
Good job, great people to work with.
Composer Operator (Former Employee) –  Craigsville, WVApril 25, 2015
Good place to work. If you work hard and do your job you will have no problems. Boss was easy to please as long as you kept busy and done what you were supposed to.
Pros
Good pay, great coworkers and 12 hour days give you 3 or 4 days off each week
Cons
Very hot in the summer, a lot of mandatory overtime
I worked with a great crew. very fun environment
Piler (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEDecember 27, 2012
Day starts at 3pm and we worked till 1am. I worked with a great crew and and manager was down to earth. The hardest part about the job I believe was the physical labor. It was exhausted but it was worth the compensation and benefits.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
dusty and very hot
A lot of fun with some great people
Splicer service utility (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MESeptember 9, 2015
I do enjoy working at this place I have a lot of friends here and I also have a lot of fun. I like working with my hands and making things work.
great
build plwood (Former Employee) –  Old Fort, NCJuly 11, 2015
great job love working there like the job I done great place to work the people that wok there was very nice and very helpful I learned to bulid plywood and run forklift and other stuff
good
good

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia Forest Products. Our community is ready to answer.