Columbia Forest Products

Columbia Forest Products Employee Reviews

great
build plwood (Former Employee), Old Fort, NCJuly 11, 2015
Pros: good
Cons: good
great job love working there like the job I done great place to work the people that wok there was very nice and very helpful I learned to bulid plywood and run forklift and other stuff
Good job, great people to work with.
Composer Operator (Former Employee), Craigsville, WVApril 25, 2015
Pros: Good pay, great coworkers and 12 hour days give you 3 or 4 days off each week
Cons: Very hot in the summer, a lot of mandatory overtime
Good place to work. If you work hard and do your job you will have no problems. Boss was easy to please as long as you kept busy and done what you were supposed to.
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee), Chatham, VAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: small but close relationships with everyone
Cons: no real chance of advancement
1. Review work that was completed and inspect the work site to ensure machinery is working correctly or modification was implemented correctly
2. Reassign work that wasn't completed and inform management – more... of the work that still needs to be done.
3. Enquire from management of any additional tasks that might need to be planned or performed in the upcoming weeks or immediate actions that need to be done.
4. Work with vendors on parts that are deficient delaying job plans from being implemented
5. Review part deficiency and order parts from vendors – less
great place to work
Floor Leader (Former Employee), Chatham, VAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great palce
Cons: 3 shift
learn how to grade distinguish plywood. managed a group of excellent workees
terrible workplace
Unspliced Grader (Former Employee), Newport, VTOctober 27, 2014
good co workers, management was terrible and company was not run to it's full potential. help people back from striving to do more
Good people fun job!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Craigsville, WVOctober 21, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: clock out for lunch low pay
Low pay! hours and schedual was great! bosses are jerks.
Hard to move up but it is possible
good place to work
scaler,loader operator (Former Employee), Craigsville, WVSeptember 2, 2014
to run loader k-boom grader and to scale logs. magement wasn't bad just had trouble with one supervisor but they fired him shortly after I left.co-workers were great. most enjoyable part was the day shift.
The Truth About Coulmbia Forest Chatham, VA
Press/Spreader Operator (Current Employee), Chatham, VAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: benefits, guaranteed ours, pay (however lower than other plants)
Cons: favortism, racism, no chance for advancement if a minority, uncaring of personal or health issues, backstabbing
To be honest there are more cons to this job than a chain gang on an interstate highway clean up crew. A few pros while dealing with this job are good benefits and the hours are guaranteed. The pay, while – more... ok, is the lowest paid plant when compared to the pay rate of the other Columbia Forest plants. You will get a good physical work out while on the press, however, the wear and tear the job places on the body is high. That's where it ends as far as pros go. CFP does not care about your personal life. Once you are clocked in you belong to them, personal issues such as family emergencies or if you are sick, they don't care. You will be punished for it, even with the note of a doctor, medical care facility, ect. it does not matter to them. You will still get written up unless you are management. The only thing that matters is a death in your immediate family and that is about it. The behind closed doors racism and favoritism sticks out like a sore thumb and can be observed if one sits back and watches enough. They are an equal opportunity employer but that's it. You are just good enough to work on the floor. The only promotions I witnessed during the whole time I was there where 2 maybe 3 African Americans that where qualified and very capable, while I witnessed countless unqualified and undeserving promotions of Caucasians. It doesn't matter if you have graduate fro an Ivy League school if you are African American, at CFP Chatham, you stand a greater chance of promotion if you are white and/or a family member. Then you will make it, promotion wise, to the top. Not to mention you can be the most qualified educated black male and not get the job, but be the most unqualified laziest ignorant non experience white man can get the jobs hands down. This has been observed first hand. As far as co-workers go there are a lot of okay people but they are stretched far and thin by department and shift, and there is a lot of back stabbing, snitching, two facing and running in the office behind closed door tattling in exchange for job security. As far as unemployment goes, forget it, CFP will do whatever is in their power to keep you from getting it. That money is needed for their lead/supervisor outings such as their expensive lunches, all expense paid golf trips where they are being paid as if on the clock the entire time they are golfing, and their Hunter's Lodge membership expenses. If you are white this is the job for you, if you are white and a family member hey you are gonna make it to the top almost effortlessly. If you are black you might get it and if you do you will just work on the floor and that's bout it. If you are black and intelligent you will get the job, just don't let them know how intelligent you are because they fear that the most. If you are black and a sell out or an uncle tom you will get it and keep it until the need for you is no longer there and then it's over. If you have any kind of serious health issues while employed such as a heart attack or brain aneurism ad have to be out of work, it is advised you start seeking other employment when you are released from your doctor because in the end you will be terminated even if you are under the care of a doctor without unemployment benefits. Yes, this happened while I was there! Also if you have an aneurism while on the job and death occurs, the family will get no compensation as they will deem this as your fault. Yes, this also happened while I was there! So, do you still want the job? – less
employer works the employees way to hard
Grader (Former Employee), Mellen, WIJuly 8, 2014
a good place to work with friendly emploees and manegers who are always willing to lend a helping hand
maintaine a full time job and maintain my business by subcontracting
laborer, electrical or any position (Current Employee), Presque Isle, MEApril 3, 2014
Pros: my own boss
Cons: need to have a full time employment
I work very hard, I'm responsible to my customers and coworkers. Always open to learning new opportunities to benefit myself and employer. Work well with co-workers. The hardest part of my business was not being able to find have enough customers. The most enjoyable part was trying to build my business.
opperated forklift at a veneer manufactoring plant
Laborer (Former Employee), Presque Isle, MEMarch 26, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: night shift
as piles of veneer got full i would move them to a press to be banded
Good
Wood Composer Operator (Former Employee), Garden City, NCOctober 14, 2013
Pros: good co-workers great pay
Cons: management
Columbia was a good place to work. My boss let me go with 80 more people in the factory.
Good Working Culture
PSP Team Leader (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORJuly 8, 2013
Production, Quality, and Safety, 3 three pieces to the Culture there. Good people, a few tense co-workers. Team leads could use a little work though. Big shots with little care of the production workers.
no value of employees
laborer (Former Employee), Newport, VTMay 13, 2013
Pros: 401k, health-care, esop
Cons: short/skipped breaks, favoritism/nepotism, last minute notice to work saturdays
CFP practices in favoritism and nepotism. On any given day I would arrive to work with a team of 5. The team should rotate positions every 30 minutes, as it is hard on the eyes and back. However most days – more... this rule was not enforced as two girls would complain to their supervisor if they had to move. I learned it didn't make any difference to complain because things never changed. The hardest part of the job is working with people who feel they are entitled. The last few years I was employed I worked with several serious injuries and medical conditions. My employer refused to work with me by not allowing me to return to work on a light duty basis, forcing me to use up my FMLA and providing them with an excuse to terminate my employment. The only part of my job that I enjoyed towards the end was the end of the day. In the beginning I loved going to work, it is where I met my wife of 22yrs. But I no longer feel that they care about their employees. – less
Great place to work, too far from home
Operator/Veneer Grader (Former Employee), Craigsville, WVFebruary 13, 2013
nice place to work, too far from home to drive. work load was ok. manager easy to please.
I worked with a great crew. very fun environment
Piler (Former Employee), Presque Isle, MEDecember 27, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: dusty and very hot
Day starts at 3pm and we worked till 1am. I worked with a great crew and and manager was down to earth. The hardest part about the job I believe was the physical labor. It was exhausted but it was worth the compensation and benefits.
Good family oriented place to work.
2nd Shift leadperson (Former Employee), Marion, NCDecember 11, 2012
Pros: free coffee and good pay
Cons: hot in summer and cold in winter
It was a fast paced environment laden with different challenges, good people and a secure and reliable job.
A great place to work
Lean Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee), Mellen, WIJuly 20, 2012
Pros: gainsharing, close knit
Cons: limited advancement opportunity
The people are enjoyable and willing to work to accomplish the long term goal. It was a place I enjoyed to go every day.
Great Employer
Payroll/HRIS Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 15, 2012
Great Employer, good people to work with. This position helped me develope management skills.

About Columbia Forest Products

Columbia Forest Products is North America's largest manufacturer of hardwood plywood and hardwood veneer, a long-standing leader – Read more