Columbia Helicopters Employee Reviews

Columbia Helicopters
In process / Final inspector for MIT (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORDecember 13, 2017
WOrking at Columbia Helicopters was a fun and the people there are awesome to work with. Learning about 234 and 107 Helicopters each day is a blast. The management team at CHI are good people to work with.
Pros
The people at CHI.
Cons
NO cons
a great place to work
A&P Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORJuly 19, 2017
its a lot of hard work but well worth every bit of it. work schedule is diverse depending on which department you work in or if your a field mechanic or pilot.
Pros
travel, pay, coworkers, job stability
Cons
long hours, stress, weak supply chain.
Great Company good benefits.
Manual Machinist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ORFebruary 7, 2017
Great Company fun and challenging. Love observing Helicopters as they get rebuilt and overhauled. Great working with our Veterans here at Columbia Helicopters.
Good people, good projects.
Depot Team Structures Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORJanuary 19, 2017
Working on 107-II's helicopters was a fun experience. Though I ultimately left after a few months I enjoyed my short time there. The operation leads were friendly and helpful, though not always the most organized place it was overall a very positive experience.

I would recommend they work on updating their blueprint library and better combine the multitude of resources they have to better streamline the maintenance. Many blueprints are very old and hard to read, combined with the changes in part numbers from then to now. That was my only main issue. The leads were helpful in locating parts/hardware when needed and their tool room is overall up to date and very functional for ensuring work continues. So any issues there were minor to resolve once something was identified.
Pros
Very stocked lunch room, friendly enviroment, years of knowledge others where willing to share.
Cons
Old blueprints, outdated IPC's and minor issue locating parts/hardware.
Horrible Company
futzer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, OROctober 22, 2016
Misrepresented position, benefits etc, rather it is more appropriate to say they lied.
Management is the good ol boys club.

They are terribly close minded and selfish.

look up death spiral, and that's what is going on.
Pros
helicopters
Cons
management is completely disconnected and IT is an Absolute joke.
Blue collar industry with one very large customer
Manufacturing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORSeptember 19, 2016
Typical cubicle engineering department. Low pay. Family owned business that promotes long-time employees into a level of incompetency. Interesting business.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Frequent management and organizational changes.
Awesome place to work
Aircraft Transmission Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORFebruary 12, 2016
I loved the friendship gained while there working at columbia helicopters. The company really cares about its customers and employees. It was truely a pleasure being employed there.
Pros
Lunches
great company to work.
Assistant Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 9, 2016
I Loved my time at Columbia Helicopters. The only Bad thing I can say about the company is the time away home. I was a Field Mechanic and did it all from over seas work to state side wide fires.
got to meet a lot of good people and see a lot of cool places. would be a great place to work if you are single or have kids that no longer live at home.
Pros
it is like one big family
Cons
time away from home
Field Mech
Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 3, 2015
Worked on helicopters on the field. I went as a mechanic wherever the aircraft went so I can maintain it. Worked a lot of hours in the field
Family work environment
Senior Supply Chain Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ORJuly 24, 2015
Fun place to work where everyone has a roll up your sleeves and get it done attitude. The work is satisfying and has a purpose.
Completely Changed for the Worst
Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORJune 10, 2015
I began at Columbia expecting a solid and secure company with great career advancement potential. What I soon was realized was that it was a dead end, employees were not valued and I was going nowhere. They did a large layoff, and within weeks they were paying out bonuses to those that were not laid off. Those that were laid off didn't see anything for their hard work all year. Not at all the company they've been in the past and it's sad to see them fall apart like this.
Cons
Benefits, Management, Job Security
all ways happy going to work
choker ceter loging (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 29, 2015
the first show up to work making sure all my coworker doing the same time to stared the day and fridays and saturday to move drunk peoples out the mall the is hardest part of the job
Pros
yes free coffe brake
Cons
15 minutes avery two hours
Columbia Helicopters is an amazing place to be employed with a professional atmosphere.
Qualtiy Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ORApril 4, 2015
A typical day at work depends on the demands required. Source inspection while traveling, auditing both internal and external, CAT 1 manufacturing plan review, corrective action administrator, process and procedure review, process and procedure correction and rewrite, purchase order review, and management review.

Learned all aspects related to the Quality Management System.

Management was supportive and fare.

my co-workers were a source of knowledge and assistance in a team environment.

The hardest part of the job was being away from my family while traveling for Audits and Source Inspections. (1/4 of the year)

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers as a team during the challenges of everyday work.
Pros
Teamork
Cons
Away from my family.
very complex supply chain with a lot of challenges and opportunities
Manufacturing Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ORMarch 7, 2015
make sure parts are arriving on time to meet aircraft needs. learned how to motivate suppliers to want to make parts in a non routine schedule.
Pros
challenging
Cons
lack of upper management support
My Hydraulic shop review
Hydraulics Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORNovember 13, 2014
I typically worked with landing gear. Completed work orders in a timely and thorough manner. Kept track of my time and maintenance utilizing RAMCO and IDMR maintenance programs. Ordered and routed parts to specific shops for maintenance. Followed maintenance practices outlined in the maintenance manuals.

I learned a great deal about how to document the work performed, making sure the maintenance practices were followed on previous work orders. I leaned how to utilize maintenance programs before and after Ramco and IDMR became up and running.I also learned how to understand others perspective on how maintenance is performed.

The hardest part of my job was being confidant in the inspection of parts, balancing cost with safety and functionality.

My most enjoyable part of my job was given the responsibility of handling landing gear, ensuring all steps of the processes had been carried out and a product I could be proud of.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Not given the chance to work on the aircraft, in the hanger or out in the field.
An Absolutely Horrible Place for Contractors
TECHNICAL WRITER (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORApril 29, 2013
You are enticed to work here with an admittedly high hourly rate, but even more temptingly with an all but guaranteed promise of a permanent hire at the end of whatever timeframe you request. At the end of that time, one of two outcomes will occur. Either you will be told that it is "just not the right time" to add you to their permanent employee roster, or, more likely, you will be told that your position has been eliminated, no matter how well you have performed or how much time and money has been invested in your training.
A "tight knit family" type of company that is becoming a multimillion dollar corporation
Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORMay 21, 2012
A great place to settle on a career. They promote from within and strive to make employees as effective and valuable as they can be. The work can be taxing but rewarding, and there is a camaraderie that I haven't seen other places.
Pros
team atmosphere, interesting work.
Cons
growing pains, transitioning from a small family type company, to a larger more profitable corporation, field trips can be taxing, and aurora or gets alot of rain
A strong company
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ORMay 11, 2012
Columbia Helicopters has been around a long time and is a solid company.
Very productive hard working atmosphere
Columbia Helicopters/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ORMarch 16, 2012
People here value their job. They work hard and it shows. The benefits are great.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
mans world