Columbia Industries LLC Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Been here through it all...
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 15, 2016
I have been with Columbia for over 6 years, working with both the family management team as well as the "professional" management team that was in place for a short time. (There was a lot of publicity surrounding the departure of the "professional" management team [GM & Pres/CEO] - it turned out to be a VERY good thing for the company and the employees here though).

Columbia does both engineering/operations support as well as heavy steel manufacturing. So, the shop works 4 ten hour days and the office folks like myself work M-F, 8-5 for the most part. Typical work days are great, you get to show up and leave on time just about every day. The work environment is pleasant and I'm still learning a lot, despite my time here because there are so many facets to both the industries that Columbia services as well as the entire product life cycle from "cradle to grave" (in essence from inception of the design to seeing the final product installed and working in the field). That is fascinating and a truly rare opportunity to find stateside these days....

Management is currently (2016) comprised of a "senior staff" (Pres/CEO, EVP, VP Sales/Marketing, CTO/VP Engineering, COO/Ops MGR, CFO), Engineering MGR, HR/HSE MGR as well as the Materials MGR, Customer Svc MGR, and Manufacturing MGR. Management is working hard to decrease the company's current level of dependence on the oil and gas market in order to better balance the workload the product portfolio. News this week is that oil has reached 2003 pricing, a record low for a very long time. This has been hard on the company but managers
  more... are definitely working toward solving this problem by making oil/gas a smaller piece of the overall pie.

In closing, I've been satisfied, very satisfied actually, with my time at Columbia. They have taken care of those of us who have stuck with them throughout the couple years of turmoil brought by the "professional managers". I guess loyalty begets loyalty and I personally have felt like they've taken as good of care of me and my family as I've tried to take care of them in fulfilling my job responsibilities and then some.
Pros
Good work schedule, great benefits package (health/dental/vision/401K match/holidays/vacation/sick time), very interesting work, opportunities to grow & they promote from within
Cons
Too dependent on oil & gas industry at this time - need to expand portfolio of products