COLUMBIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews in United States

Unhappy work environment
account specialist (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALJanuary 21, 2016
The ladies I worked with daily were fantastic, but they expectations of the company are completely unrealistic. If you know someone, or are part of "the family"then you have job security and can get away with anything. They will even go so far to protect the chosen that they will throw others under the bus and blame things that other people did on the less fortunate.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Life as an Academic Advisor
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALJune 18, 2015
My day consist of assisting my students. My students can either call in or email. Handling these situations are my first priority. I also have daily responsibilities that I have to accomplish. These responsibilities consist of approving enrollments, creating degree advisements for my students, and making proactive calls to my students. These calls consist of helping struggling students and getting students enrolled. This job has taught me time-management, how to be resourceful, and excellent customer service skills. I really enjoy interacting with my students. This is the most enjoyable part of my job. But, this can also be the hardest part of my day. This is because their problems can be very involved and can take up most of my day.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
No Sick days
Horrible place
Academic Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALMarch 3, 2016
This place is a cult. There is no room for advancement. Friends from the owner's church are brought in an given jobs over others with Masters degrees. Leadership is inexperienced and inadequate. Only chance at promotion is if you hang in one of the leadership cliques. Leadership does not support the employees whatsoever. Too much fraternization. Too much micromanaging. Faulty job descriptions. They get you in and make you feel that they want your experience and input but in all actuality if you do not agree with their horrible tactics you will be consistently picked on and written up to push you on out the door. Unorganized. A call center looking for call center representatives rather than degreed professionals. Very dysfunctional. No one in leadership knows who does what. Leadership is never available. They all get up and go to lunch on the company credit card and "meetings" everyday. They do not value employees at all. Job descriptions change after you are hired and get worse over time. Everything becomes a quota. They portray to be family oriented.
Pros
Leave at 3:00 on fridays
Cons
Employees not valued and belittled, unfair treatment for not being part of cliques, micromangement, unorganized
Good
Military Educational Liaison, Military Outreach (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALMay 29, 2015
Great work atmosphere, excellent benefits. Quality employer, and culture is excellent. I would stay with CSU if not for transferring due to future spouses military service.
Caring co-workers
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALJanuary 17, 2016
The people you work with at Columbia Southern University are extremely supportive and friendly. Unfortunately, the role of adjunct faculty lends itself to an unstable working environment.
Good work environment
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orange BeachJanuary 4, 2015
The company supports its people very well and they have good benefits. The management is very diverse and changes from department to department.
Pros
benefits, culture
Cons
compensation
Great Place to Work
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALOctober 25, 2014
Columbia Southern University is great. I come into work and get started on emails from my students. I also log into the phone rotation and answer any questions a student might have. All of the departments get along quite well. My co-workers are great and we are always willing to help each other. If you are a salary employee your hours can are very flexible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
lower pay compared to other schools.
One of the best places I have ever worked.
Admissions Counselor I (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALMay 4, 2016
After reading all the reviews I had to write my own. I work here and I go to school here. I have found it to be a very friendly and fun place to work. I was given ample time to learn the position and management are always very encouraging and positive. I have never had to have a negative conversation and I have never felt degraded as stated in previous reviews. So many nice people. All you have to do is ask for help and it is given to you without making you feel bad for asking. The owners are a family and are really great people. So humble and willing to help people improve their lives through a very affordable and quality education. In fact they try to get to know everyone of their employees and actually come your desk and talking for a few minutes. Never has the owner of a company I have worked for even given me a wave let alone knows me by name and wanted to know about me. I am not sure why other reviews are saying CSU is not accredited. CSU is Nationally Accredited and I have talked to hundreds of people who have got a degree with CSU and obtained a great job or was able to advance in the career they were in. Do they micro manage, yes some, but that was never a problem for me. If you come to work to work and follow the few rules they have, then micro managing won't be an issue. Very comfortable place to work. It has been my experience that they go far beyond any other company to make sure that I have a pleasant and comfortable work environment. I will take that over a higher wage any day. I have never felt this was a "cult environment" and the family never excludes  more... anyone or makes anyone feel less because they are not in the family. CSU is like one big family. We get together for several fun days outside with a catered lunch and at Christmas we get a company Christmas party that is second to none. I am getting a second Bachelor’s degree and my first was not at an online school. I find my classes are extremely challenging and very rewarding. Based on reading the reviews of CSU here, I just felt that the owners of CSU and the reputation of CSU deserved this review. It is really a shame that when people get angry they have to try to ruin someone else. I like truth. It will set you free from having to lie.  less
Pros
Very caring owners and management, comfortable, friendly, fair, fun and safe work environment. Deduction in tuition
Cons
Have to walk a long way to the building from my car.
Best in Baldwin County
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALApril 12, 2015
I have no pull or weight when it comes to human resources, advertising, or hiring/firing, as my position is managing administrative needs and/or escalated student issues. Yes, there have been events of micromanaging and negativity in some departments, but overall, this company is amazing. Each department has different functions and tasks, so most often, one can find a position in which he or she is a good fit. If speaking on the phone isn't your strongest skill, try for something that is more logistic in nature. CSU has by far been my best employer.

I have seen posts where the company "is a diploma mill" and "unaccredited," which is absolutely false. The courses require much thought and effort, and CSU is accredited through the DEAC, which is recognized by CHEA; you may review this information on the website.

Yes, the institution is for-profit and has overcome many obstacles; it has only made the culture stronger. Up to this point, there also has been a gap in communication from upper management to the staff level. This recently has been recognized by the president, and large efforts are being made in closing this gap; he has been directly discussing this with team members to solve the miscommunication. Whereas we can all improve, this organization can and will.

We have fun days when the institution is closed for staff-enrichment events; for instance, CSU reserves Waterville in Gulf Shores for the staff for several hours one day in the summer. The founding family is truly precious and loving, and I feel that the negativity will be resolved with the expansion in training
  more... of departmental leadership. Excellent benefits options are offered, and compared to other employers in the area, it is difficult, if not impossible, to find an opportunity to work in a happy environment and to change others' lives as we do, though pay may be lower than many post-secondary institutions. Offering excellence in service and making a difference in each student's life is what we truly aim to do each day. Come by for a visit and see what we're all about!

I give our company a 4 of 5 rating because there is always room for improvement. We must all recognize our weaknesses and strengths and move forward for a bigger, better tomorrow.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, appreciation
Cons
Wage vs. other universities, communication
Great Benefits
Course Technologist (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALMay 31, 2014
Great benefits! Has some good ideas and learned a lot with this organization. Owners provide fun days to keep workers motivated.
Owners are good people, middle and lower management is horrible
Academic Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALJuly 21, 2015
The owners are great people, and what they think the company is and what it really is are two very different things. The problem at CSU is that lower management is not competent, not properly educated or trained for the jobs they hold. They do nothing in a way that makes sense, they have favorite employees that hang out at the bar with them, and those people do not have to carry their share of the workload. Communication is horrible, and every department in the university operates like its own company so no one knows what anyone else is doing. Every day is even more frustrating than the one before it. Managers at the lower level lie to your face knowing that behind your back they are doing exactly the opposite of what they say. The president and owner tells the top managers what he wants to see accomplished, then those people tell the ones below them what he wants to see, then those managers screw it all up. If you have a job here, you will be micromanaged to death unless you are one of the lower managers' bar buddies. A few people do all the work. This place has a revolving door with people leaving faster than they can hire, and these are the reasons. HR is not going to help you here; they are total idiots who know nothing about hiring laws or practices. The place is still being run like a mom and pop twenty employee company when it has more than 1500 employees- it does not work. Lies and secrets all the time here, you cannot believe anything anyone here says.

Do yourself a favor- steer clear.
Pros
owners are nice, extra holidays off for Christian holidays
Cons
poor communication, HR is incompetent, lower managers are idiots
Great group of colleagues, and sharp technology.
Transfer Credit Evaluator-Office of the Registrar (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALSeptember 20, 2012
I loved my team, and they loved me (Registrar Superstar June 2011). A very professional environment, with people who work hard and laugh hard. Everyday was fun and rewarding. I learned so much about US Department of Education guidelines regarding higher education.
I also learned alot about registrar and admission procedures in higher education. With up-to-date technology and a great IT team, it was a fun place to work.
Pros
great workplace environment, rewarding work
Cons
human resources, nepotism, inflated mission statement
This company is a horrible place to work. It's like a cult. Management is awful & disrespectful
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALApril 29, 2013
I have never worked for a place that was so horrible. They treat u like a child. Management is uneducated, inexperienced and has no respect for ppl. This place has a high turnover rate bc of the shady way they do things. They get u in trouble for foolish things and monitor every aspect of your life down to your FB page. There is young kids placed into authority and the treat elders like doormats. The school education is a sham and admissions is a joke. They shouldn't be allowed to operate. Don't work there or waste your money on a sorry education there.
Cons
everything about that place is negative
Great school for Healthcare Administration
Student (Former Employee) –  StudentMay 11, 2015
I did not work at this school. I was a student and the experience was great! I had fantastic counselors that helped and guided me all the way through to the finish.
Not a school! This is a for-profit business!!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Orange BeachDecember 25, 2013
And, not a very good one at that. They should be reported to the Department of Education and investigated. This place is worse than ITT-Tech, and that's pretty bad!!! In fact, why waste my time on here? I think I AM going to report them to the DOE and let the feds intervene and investigate.
Cons
diploma mill, non-accredited, uneducated management
High turnover
Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALMay 14, 2013
Management needs more training on how to manage their employees.

Hires family members ( they are the ones who move up the ladder)
Pros
starting pay is ok
Cons
micro management/ fake employees/ cold calls
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Professor Occupational Safety and Health (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALSeptember 30, 2014
CSU is a growing, reputable University. I enjoy the coursework and opportunity to facilitate.
Pros
growing university
Unstable Place to Work
Admissions/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALNovember 30, 2012
The management sucks because they have people with no degree managing people WITH degrees at a college. The management loves to spy on everything you do ( including spying on anything you do at your computer, even over lunch). They also claimed to be a "family-friendly" school, but they are not. If you are even late 30 seconds, you still get in trouble with managers. SO many people with families got fired because of being "late" or having family emergencies. All of the people I grew to like in my time there eventually left. They hated the department as much as I did. Between the micro-management, fake employees, and sucky managers, it's no wonder they told eveyone they had to freeze the department so no one could move up or over to another department. No one wanted to be there.

The first day is all about fun and getting to know the school. People SEEM happy when you go visit departments but later, you realize that this is not a "happy" work environment. Policies were changing so often for students, even three times in one day! It was hard to do admissions work with ever-changing requirements of students. They were confused. Another thing that really did not make sense to me was all of the telemarketing that they have the admissions department doing for the school. Real colleges and universities do not cold call random people and then keep stalking them. Columbia Southern University PAYS for leads, and then they have admissions call them. That is not a college. The biggest thing for me was that they aren't regionally accreditted, so many people were getting "degrees" that they
  more... could not even transfer to another college. I ended up talking to so many angry people. I felt like I was wasting my life in a cubicle doing a job that I was not told I would be doing. I moved for this job. I really believed all the fluff they told me when they hired me. I regret ever working there.  less
Pros
the facility is nice... that was about it.
Cons
micro-management, fake employees, ever changing policies, and telemarketing for a fake college.
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALMarch 3, 2014
I love working at CSU! I discovered that I loved helping people meet their goals; therefore, my job became more of a passion.

Great family culture!!!
Enjoyable workplace
Title IV Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALDecember 5, 2013
Processed Financial Aid funds to student's accounts, did the return of Title IV funds, meaning when a student withdrew from the course, I would get the calculation of the funds the student did not earn and send back to the government.Great environment to work in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COLUMBIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.