Columbia Sportswear Company Employee Reviews

Productive workplace, strong team
Resource Center Specialist/Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 28, 2016
In a typical day at work would check campus inventory, run mail, complete and distribute projects, answer benefits questions, and prepare conference rooms. I learned a lot about sales, marketing, and corporate business function overall.
The management teams were great and coworkers were kind and supportive towards one another.
The hardest part of the job was completing long tedious projects for national and international sales pitch meetings. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with coworkers.
Pros
Relaxed workplace with great food and fun events
Cons
Long distance mail deliveries on foot in harsh weather
Very poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INSeptember 11, 2016
Not enough hours low pay. Management was poor. They give you maybe 2 days a week then change schedules not letting you know they changed it. To much drama and no respect for employees.
Pros
They do give you a 30% discount.
Cons
Start you off a minium wage. Very few hours.
CSC is a very good company as far as compensation and benefits. But,...
not needed for the purpose of the review (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 11, 2011
CSC is a very good company as far as compensation and benefits. But, it has a major endemic culture of nepotism, making it nearly impossible to advance one’s carrier. This also brings the added challenge of unqualified short term executives only interested in quick results that save money in the short run, but are dreadful for the future of the company and the morale of employees. That said, and in CSC's defense, this is not an uncommon practice amongst large companies, so take my review with a grain of salt, as the same can be said about many others.
Pros
beers and music in the summer, good people/coworkers
Cons
long hours, zero recognition, no chance for advancement
They make products that stand the test of time
Quality Assurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Central AmericaAugust 15, 2016
Working in Columbina Sportswear was my best time un muy life since they gave me excelente technical skill support to perform muy duties.
There is a nice enviroment to work.etc
Technology Company that happens to make apparel
Freight Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 14, 2013
The best retail job I have had. the company really focus' on employee knowledge of the product which helps sales. we were a new store so you really have to educate the customer.

Columbia has, hands down, the best products in the industry. It could be discouraging because the biggest competitor has a better brand image, but has an inferior product. You have to really work to inform your average joe about the technology.
Pros
great benefits, generous discount, friends and family discount
Cons
unrealistic performance goals, not enough advertising, uninformed customer base
Amazing company with great benefits
Quality Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 14, 2015
Columbia is a great company to work for; the benefits exceed most other companies and of course it looks good on a resume. The employee benefits, activities, and rewards really make CSC special.
Pros
Employee benefits and events, organization, startup attitude
Cons
Closed work environment
A production facility open to innovation and ideas to improve in all aspects from safety to efficiencies!
Utility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 21, 2013
As a utility specialist, my day may differ depending on production needs throughout the facility. There are a mulitude of departments which my position requires me to have superior knowledge of so I can perform at a high efficiency when I am called upon.

I am currently on a temporary assignment with the Inventory Control department. The duties involved here are maintaining and monitoring inventory, adjusting inventory accurately, review accuracy reports, and to utilize research techniques through warehouse management software. It is a great behind the scenes look at personnel performance and the varying details of function.

I am one of few people that have had success at the warehouse level. With the economic turmoil we all have endured, it has been a blessing to be rewarded with promotion during this time. I am thankful for management for recognizing my success and effort, but at the same time I do not plan to stop here. My goal is to eventually run a department and be apart of the management team here.

Overall, I have amazing co-workers. That is the most enjoyable part of the day. The camaraderie we all share here is outstanding.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers and job security!
Cons
compensation is based off industry medians not primarily off individual abilities/skillset.
Financially Sound company
Latin America, Asia, & Pacific - Footwear Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 27, 2012
Good place to work and gain experience. Financially sound company with good management
Pros
volleyball court and benefits
Cons
aging brand
Productive Day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, PANovember 11, 2013
I Perform cash register transactions. Provide great customer service to drive store sales. Lastly maintain current and accurate knowledge of product features and benefits.
Great Co - workers and an amazing company!
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAJuly 18, 2014
Ok so if it's a part time or fill time job you are looking for in retail this is the one you want. Working in so many capacities, in so many various companies, hands down this is the best. I can't say if it's the diverse group of Co - workers, the great management team, or at the end of the hard day the great pay (hourly plus realistic potential bonus every month) but Columbia is one of those down to earth true to word amazing companies to work for. I work full time at another job about 55 hours a week and they work around my schedule perfectly. My work life balance is higher tolerance than most and they keep me in check and put my needs first! The discount is not only for you but 20 friends and family members and the customers are great and love being in adventure filled outdoor places. Maybe one day I will only have one job and when that day comes I'm pretty sure it will be Columbia Sportswear.
Pros
Great discount, perfect schedules, great staff, the very best customers
Cons
You got to like to stay busy if not Columbia is not for you!
Different challenge each day
Upstate NY / PA Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  New York , PASeptember 28, 2015
Great company to work for. Family oriented large company. Seasonal goals and travel can be challenging, but that is what makes the job exciting. Most enjoyable part is the presentation of new seasonal product and the account base I have built.
Literally the worst job I have ever had...
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 30, 2013
A woefully inept pool of managers, who haven't the skill to work at better companies, routinely dump all over good employees- that is my summation of the horror show I experienced at Columbia.

Columbia is currently undergoing a mismanaged ERP implementation which is requiring an insane number of vacation blackout dates, causing an already low morale to plummet to new depths, and illustrating how poor the Planning department is being run.

Project managers have bailed, employees are scrambling to get to Nike, Keen and Adidas as fast as they can; only the true masochists remain.

I am out of here in just a few weeks and will beg my co-workers (the good ones anyway) to leave too. I also strongly- very very strongly recommend that anyone who reads this do not waste your time applying for a position at this train wreck of a company... Especially if its in the Planning department!
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Idiotic managers, high turnover, lack of vision, fearing change, terrible HR dept.
Wonderful first job experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, NYAugust 5, 2015
Great job to have as first experience, always updated on product knowledge to ensure the best customer service. Also an outlet so I experienced many interactions with people from all around the world.
Pros
close to home
Cons
short breaks
CSC is an awesome company
HR/Payroll Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 9, 2012
Come work for CSC!! It provides an ideal work life balance. There are great summer events, and a fabulous volleyball season.
Fun place to work
Material Handler 3 (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 2, 2015
Work in the returns department as well as many different areas in the warehouse, Willing to go above and beyond to get task at hand done in a timely manner always will to learn something new and different work well with others in many different positions that I have been in.
Pretty laid back company to work with.
Sr SAP Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORFebruary 10, 2014
Fun place to work with.
Quickly picked up cross functional knowledge.
Colleagues are encouragers and competitive to work with
Keeping up with normal production support and project work is challenging and I enjoy it
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake OswegoJanuary 30, 2012
This company makes each employee feel valued. It's a fun and productive place to work, but don't expect to break the bank with your paycheck.
Pros
employee store and great discounts
Cons
pay is way below what is reasonable.
Great Products
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Medford, MNApril 1, 2015
Good products. Felt like I sold something that had value and would be used for many years. Enjoyed working with the public.
Fast pace work environment with a diverse crowd
Floor Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2013
A tipcal work day at Columbia would be maintaing high visual standards as well as training sales and stock assoicates.