Columbia University Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging
Assistant to Accounting Comptroller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2016
Many different characters at work, which made for a refreshing work day. Enjoyed being challenged to learn new systems. The summers and holiday season tend to slow down making it an enjoyable work place to achieve work life balance.
Slow, Repetitive
INSURANCE VERIFICATION REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, NJMarch 13, 2016
On a average day a requirement is to hit roughly 75 accounts to clear off. Some times patients wont pick up the phone and you'll end up leaving a voice message stating to call back and this can accumulate throughout the day hindering your supposed quota of 75 accounts.
Pros
Quota that everyone potentially has to commit to
Cons
Slow mostly, A lot of Patients not responding to phone calls, Repetitive
Very Productive
Administrative (Current Employee) –  NY NYSeptember 1, 2015
As an employee I am honored to be working with amazing staff and doctors. The doctors have wonderful bedside manners,very understanding and empathetic and truly have the best interest in the patients care.
it's wonderful place to work for
User Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  NY, NYAugust 24, 2015
Columbia University is good place to work for , I would say according to my impression one of the best work places I have seen so far, if I grade I would give 100 out of 100
Pros
good working environment
Cons
don't have anything to mention here
Very Productive
Medical Billing Manager, CPC of Heart Valve Center (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2015
Love this company. Would like to go bacck an work for them. Columbia Universitty Medical center is very diverse. You able to meet people from all cultures.
Pros
Co-Workers
Knowledgeable and friendly workplace
Physician Extender/Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2015
Productive and happy workplace. Ability to grow in your profession. Great work ethic and always teaching new things. Great place to work.
Best Hospital in NYC
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ny, NYMay 14, 2015
This is a place where you want your loved ones to be taken care of. the nurses, physicians, and all clinical staff are very attentive to patients needs. They employ top of the line doctors from all over the world.
good starting position, but terrible management
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  new york, nyMay 4, 2015
terrible management, but good for a short time, little to no benefits anymore. Really depends on who you work with, but I don't know anyone who is happy here, people are constantly leaving
Productive workplace where I can acknowledge the data and research on patients that are handled at the hospital.
Clerical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2015
A typical day at work would have been copies, data entry, and setups for about 2-3 patients daily. I learned the compliance of making confidential forms for patients and the organization process of medical records and test for each patient at the hospital. I would also like to include the social skills in conversing with patients via email, phone calls, or letters. The hardest part of the job was the preparation for each participant that we received for multiple studies but the most enjoyable was the progression and social involvement in the Pathways to Prevention and other issues that the research team had to uphold in their study.
Challenging Job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2015
A great experience and I truly miss it along with the patients, doctors, and coworkers.I learned to deal with diverse individuals of different backgrounds and attitudes. The hardest part was tracking down doctors to obtain their signature. The enjoyable part was everyone was friendly.
Great institution
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2015
Full of wonderful faculty, a great place to get your masters degree. It is in a rough neighborhood, but you are completely safe inside the wall of the institution.
Beaurocratic
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2015
It all depends on the lab you are in, some are very intense and want you to work a lot, then others seem to be more laid back. Try to find someone who will take an interest in you if possible. Make sure you have an exit strategy, you don't want to be a tech for the rest of your life.
I loved this job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
I spent 17 years there as a Records Specialist. It taught me to be detail oriented and very organized. I carry those skills with me throughout my life.
Productive and Growing Medical Center
Credentialing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2015
Columbia is a very diverse place is to work. There are lots of positions open to everyone which allows for ample opportunity to grow.
Great place to learn
Senior Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Great opportunity to be exposed to many different cases and clinical expertise. Always something interesting going on in the hospital.
Work environment is mostly dependent on your supervisor's management style
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2015
As a technician's responsibility should be, a typical day involves the daily bench work you've set up to work on from the previous day, lots of trouble shootings if the procedures go wrong, and constant interaction with the clients for more problem solving. It's also a technician's responsiblity to keep an eye on the inventory to make sure all the lab supplies is properly stocked. We also have to pass a bunch of lab safety tests to stay compliant to internal and external regulations. Work environment is very enjoyable if you maintain a good relationship with your supervisor, but you have to be sure to fulfill your responsibility in order to earn that trust, respect, and autonomy. The hardest part of the job is to work with live animals because they breed quickly and require close attention in order to keep them organized. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that you're experiencing constant joy when you solve the problems since much of the time on a regular work day is spent on trouble shooting.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
parts of job can get routine
Great work enviroment
Head Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2015
Pleased with respect and dedication. Great minds and even nicer people. High level of accountability. Very large organization, need to develop a better way to help people grow within it at all levels.
Pros
great food
Work Day
Clinical Nurse/Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2015
My average work day can be pretty stressful dependent on the patient flow and workload. Turnover rate is high which means most of my days are working in an understaffed environment. Overall good benefits and incentives.
Diverse environment
Research/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Being an office assistant, my experience here was truly unique. I learned how to conduct phone screens, manage and complete information on large databases containing sensitive personal information, double-check studies, and I attended a few research study info sessions. My co-workers, or may I say research assistants, were practically people within my age range, so that made me feel more comfortable working with them. The hardest part of the job was being able to keep wup with remembering psychological terms and various diseases while conducting phone screens. The most enjoyable part was just working with my four research assistants in general.
Pros
one hour lunch breaks, flexible work schedule
Cons
low pay, no benefits, short eployment period
Great research
Post-doctoral Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  NYCJanuary 15, 2015
Worked Monday through Friday. 8-6 pm
Learned Basic science research . Went to research conferences
Amazing co workers. Learned a lot from them. Hard part was learning basic science experiments and killing mice. Enjoyable part was learning new things every day, made new friends.

Columbia University Medical Center Reviews by Location