Columbia University Medical Center

Columbia University Medical Center Employee Reviews

good starting position, but terrible management
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), new york, nyMay 4, 2015
terrible management, but good for a short time, little to no benefits anymore. Really depends on who you work with, but I don't know anyone who is happy here, people are constantly leaving
Productive workplace where I can acknowledge the data and research on patients that are handled at the hospital.
Clerical Research Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 1, 2015
A typical day at work would have been copies, data entry, and setups for about 2-3 patients daily. I learned the compliance of making confidential forms for patients and the organization process of medical records and test for each patient at the hospital. I would also like to include the social skills in conversing with patients via email, phone calls, or letters. The hardest part of the job was the preparation for each participant that we received for multiple studies but the most enjoyable was the progression and social involvement in the Pathways to Prevention and other issues that the research team had to uphold in their study.
Challenging Job
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 27, 2015
A great experience and I truly miss it along with the patients, doctors, and coworkers.I learned to deal with diverse individuals of different backgrounds and attitudes. The hardest part was tracking down doctors to obtain their signature. The enjoyable part was everyone was friendly.
Great institution
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 6, 2015
Full of wonderful faculty, a great place to get your masters degree. It is in a rough neighborhood, but you are completely safe inside the wall of the institution.
Beaurocratic
Senior Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 22, 2015
It all depends on the lab you are in, some are very intense and want you to work a lot, then others seem to be more laid back. Try to find someone who will take an interest in you if possible. Make sure you have an exit strategy, you don't want to be a tech for the rest of your life.
I loved this job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: None
I spent 17 years there as a Records Specialist. It taught me to be detail oriented and very organized. I carry those skills with me throughout my life.
Productive and Growing Medical Center
Credentialing Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 5, 2015
Columbia is a very diverse place is to work. There are lots of positions open to everyone which allows for ample opportunity to grow.
Great place to learn
Senior Research Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Great opportunity to be exposed to many different cases and clinical expertise. Always something interesting going on in the hospital.
Work environment is mostly dependent on your supervisor's management style
Research Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: autonomy
Cons: parts of job can get routine
As a technician's responsibility should be, a typical day involves the daily bench work you've set up to work on from the previous day, lots of trouble shootings if the procedures go wrong, and constant interaction with the clients for more problem solving. It's also a technician's responsiblity to keep an eye on the inventory to make sure all the lab supplies is properly stocked. We also have to pass a bunch of lab safety tests to stay compliant to internal and external regulations. Work environment is very enjoyable if you maintain a good relationship with your supervisor, but you have to be sure to fulfill your responsibility in order to earn that trust, respect, and autonomy. The hardest part of the job is to work with live animals because they breed quickly and require close attention in order to keep them organized. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that you're experiencing constant joy when you solve the problems since much of the time on a regular work day is spent on trouble shooting.
Great work enviroment
Head Service Worker (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: great food
Pleased with respect and dedication. Great minds and even nicer people. High level of accountability. Very large organization, need to develop a better way to help people grow within it at all levels.
Work Day
Clinical Nurse/Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 17, 2015
My average work day can be pretty stressful dependent on the patient flow and workload. Turnover rate is high which means most of my days are working in an understaffed environment. Overall good benefits and incentives.
Diverse environment
Research/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: one hour lunch breaks, flexible work schedule
Cons: low pay, no benefits, short eployment period
Being an office assistant, my experience here was truly unique. I learned how to conduct phone screens, manage and complete information on large databases containing sensitive personal information, double-check studies, and I attended a few research study info sessions. My co-workers, or may I say research assistants, were practically people within my age range, so that made me feel more comfortable working with them. The hardest part of the job was being able to keep wup with remembering psychological terms and various diseases while conducting phone screens. The most enjoyable part was just working with my four research assistants in general.
Great research
Post-doctoral Research Scientist (Former Employee), NYCJanuary 15, 2015
Worked Monday through Friday. 8-6 pm
Learned Basic science research . Went to research conferences
Amazing co workers. Learned a lot from them. Hard part was learning basic science experiments and killing mice. Enjoyable part was learning new things every day, made new friends.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Coordinator - Dept of OB/GYN (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 8, 2014
Excellent place to work. Great benefits. Lots to learn. Typical day was encouraging working along side of some of the greatest minds in medicine.
No room to grow
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 5, 2014
Pros: i get to meet a lot of people
Cons: not able to utilize my skills to the fullest
My work day consist of answering phones and constant contact with doctors. Im look for an office where my skills are noticed and i can grow. I love working with people who I can teach and also learn from.
Currently working at Columbia University Medical Center.
Clinical nurse on adult psychiatric unit (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 30, 2014
A typical day at work involves patient care, medication administration, documentation, admitting and discharging patients. Emphasis is placed on collaboration with co-workers including nurses, mental health workers, doctors, social workers and activity therapists. The most enjoyable part of the job is working closely with the patients.
Great research environment, average experience
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 18, 2014
Pros: union incentives (free health and dental coverage)
Cons: administration
As a technician, a typical day consists of maintaining the mouse colony including DNA extraction, genotyping, and setting up crosses. I am very experienced in histology. I perform dissections, fix the tissue, section, stain and then quantify results. Typically, I'll use the data to make graphs and figures in anticipation of the next paper. I will also perform metabolic tests including glucose tolerance tests and glucose stimulated insulin secretion tests. I will also perform the occasional biochemical assays including ELISA. My coworkers are the best part of my job. They also take into consideration my concerns and problems while keeping me motivated and entertained. Unfortunately, my bosses may be the worst part. They only care for themselves and their own career, paying little to no attention to the well being and concerns of their employees. They demand extreme hours for little to no incentive while their flip-flopping nature and decision making can be very frustrating.
productive and fun workplace
Medical Assistant at Department of Dermatology (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
i use to love going to work everyday, my co-workers was very helpful and nice.
Exciting
CTV Office & Data Admin (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 26, 2014
Decent pay and interesting and intellectual people here. Always busy here.
Excelllent benefits
Finance and Budget Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 25, 2014
Room for advancement and great opportunities for different career tracks within the organization.

1 2 3 4