Columbia University Employee Reviews

Steady organization that provides great benefits
Director, Finance and Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
Job security is an important factor, the benefits are great. We have decent healthcare insurance plans and a tuition benefit program for people who want to go to graduate school. There is no talent management and systematic approach to employee development. No support to employees who want to advance their career. CU rather hires people from outside than promoting from within.
Pros
tuition benefit, talented people, good work/life balance
Cons
lack of professional development planning and talent management
Fast paced professional work place with friendly and dynamic people.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10027January 31, 2017
Columbia University is a great place to work, it has great employee benefits, you have a 3 month probation period and you have good job security. The culture of Columbia University is corporate but casual and the management staff, for the most part, are very helpful. The hardest part of the job is being exact and paying attention to detail; the most enjoyable part of the job are my co-workers.
Ivy League University with young and advanced minds as well as diverse and awesome instructors
Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2016
School work could be stressful, but opportunities are enormous. In a highly competitive place, everybody has the passion and energy to work hard on their individual goals. Instructors have different backgrounds: scholars, engineers, actuaries, businessmen etc. Career fair is a big advantage because networking is easier at NYC.

High grades are challenging to get because of competitions and high level brain powers, which also makes life more enjoyable.
Pros
Networking, Resources, Education, Academic Environment
Cons
Food
Great work environment
DB & Web, Training and User Servs Admin (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2017
Work with downtime to hone your skills
Great culture and colleagues
Good benefits
Plenty of vacation days to use
Salary is fair but on the lower side
I'd recommend this place to get your career started or a place to rest until your retirement
Pros
Laid back work environment, amazing vacation time
Cons
Difficult for career advancement
Administration is failed
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2016
In the Administrative areas, (HR, Finance, etc.) you will work well over 40 - 50 hours per week, take work home and work on weekends. Certain departments are understaffed to support a large School population.
I learned that the onboarding is non-existent and there is no real attempt to integrate new employees into the diverse and distinct culture.
Management are hired based on connections and sometimes do not have sufficient credentials for a senior level position. There is a lack of collegiality, support and development of staff. There is virtually no performance review process (not mandatory and not recommended or encouraged throughout the entire organization)
Highly decentralized organization much to the detriment of policy, procedures and benefits to staff. No consistency in policy and procedure.
The hardest part was finding policy for case specific circumstances and no consistency in information and policy provided by central office. Lack of clarity in policy and a severe findability and search capability for main website.
The most enjoyable was the campus and academic population.
Pros
Great location, academics and academic staff
Cons
Poor leadership in administration and lack of collegiality, development and onboarding of staff.
Great Benefits
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2016
Not a lot of room for advancement, but really good benefits and work/life balance and generally a fun environment. Opportunity to enroll for your undergraduate or graduate degree once you've been employed two years.
Great Benefits, Bad Atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYJuly 19, 2016
Disclaimer: Columbia University is a big place with many different schools and offices. I cannot speak for every school and office in the university, only for the one where I worked.

When I first started to work at Columbia, the school where I was working was a great place to work. I was treated well, and was made to feel valued and appreciated.

As time went on, things changed, and the atmosphere of the workplace became very toxic, and it became difficult to work there. Employees were treated poorly, and the management gave us no encouragement, help or appreciation. Employees became ill from the stress.

My co-workers were, for the most part, helpful and nice. The students were also polite, friendly and thankful for whatever help we gave them. I had a good rapport, also, with faculty members. Management was another story.

Columbia offers very good benefits, which almost made the awful workplace atmosphere bearable.
Pros
Good benefits, including generous vacation allowance and free tuition
Cons
Office politics, unnecessary stress, harassment
Great place to build.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Campus ServicesMarch 20, 2017
Excellent education benefits. Non-profit aspect makes culture slow. If one is willing to put in time to take advantage of education benefits the effect of a lower salary (compared to the private sector) can be offset.
Flexible schedule as an online live support specialist
Online Live Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2017
Excellent management and administrative staff. There is room for advancement and training support is ongoing. Hours are flexible and LSS is able to work from anywhere.
Great Place to Work for IT
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Columbia benefits and support from HR has been the best I've ever worked at. They do put their employees first.
Working in IT has a ton of benefits with hours and great management.
The people who work at Columbia are the nicest and most helpful. Many people have worked at Columbia for over 20 years.
Pros
Great benefits, great management, great vacation and time off
Cons
Salary isn't as competitive
Alot of hours and hard work but very satisfying work
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2017
Working at Columbia was a great but very tiring experience. A lot of hard work and a lot of hours were put into this job for very little thank. New York City provided to be the biggest challenge of this job for me as I am not a big city type of person who needs a slower pace and alone time to recharge. Not being able to get this in the small amount of time away from work I very quickly burned out here. I loved my coworkers and the office.
Pros
free gear, division 1 athletes, travel, great healthcare
Cons
no time off, poor work life balance
An outstanding working environment
Coordinator-Special Projects/Faculty Membe (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2016
My responsibilities entailed office management over two separate offices, one on campus, the other at the College of Physicians and Surgeons (part of CU).

I handled routine payroll and benefits for all staff, served on the university's budget committee, met with outside corporations to engage in obtaining contracts of research with their scientists and our own in all university divisions, and development venture capitol relationships within the United States and Japan.

I learned how to comfortably present our university and department's missions to pursue inventions, medical procedures and medications that will benefit the whole of society.

My co-workers were brilliant, and supportive.

Commuting was the most difficult part of my post. I didn't like riding subways, so I drove my car throughout the city, which could be difficult when searching for a parking place.

Being a member of the faculty, and a part of the Biosphere, medical, computer technology, green energy, and venture capitol development in the sciences and biotechnology was stimulating and ever so rewarding.
Pros
Serving on the faculty of Columbia University
Cons
Finding parking spots
Good Place to Work
Assistant Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2016
It is a good place to work, but the culture is extremely outdated. Don't plan on making changes. Workday is typical, but they usually expect OT at all levels (no OT compensation except union employees).
Work for a wonderful group of doctors and nursing staff.
Billing Compliance Manager - Department of Surgery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
The culture was great and I work well with other team members and the medical staff to create a warm and caring team. We had many staff retreat to help all with their understanding of transplant organs.
Pros
Working hard to create team efforts
Cons
When patient did not make it after surgical procedure
best place to start
Physical plant Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 17, 2017
Columbia is a great place to start your career, it provides financial security, job advancement and help to further your education, while providing you with a challenging environment to put your skills to good use.
Excellent School
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2017
Although the school is very competitive and expensive but it is really worth. It is prestigious Ivy school with excellent teaching and research agenda. From scientific and technological perspectives, researches are really top notch and cutting-edge.
Pros
Ivy League
Cons
Expensive, Comptetitive
A great workplace to be!
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
It is an absolute pleasure and honour having worked for one of the most prestigious public health schools. The dynamic was great and offered a lot of varieties in terms of cultures, people, as well as fruitful discussions among colleagues. Plus. there is a lot of great oppertunities to attend conferences and meet many well-known speakers around the world in the public health fields as well!
Extraordinary place to work.
Public Affairs Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2016
A brainy, sophisticated and life-changing environment for anyone who values intelligence and wisdom on the job- a rare commodity in most employment.
Pros
People at Columbia value smarts, top notch thinking and reward excellence
Cons
The politics can be fierce but if you aren't put off by that it's a very special place to work.
Can't complain
MST Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Great environment, great co-workers. Everyone is pretty friendly and accommodating. Worked as a work-study, so I didn't have any benefits, but I'm fairly certain they exist. In my particular situation, I didn't.
Great career development for employees
Director of Campus Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
work at Columbia for 13 years and I was supported and groomed from an entry level manager to a senior staff.
I worked very hard like everywhere else but i felt appreciated and rewarded for my hard work.
Pros
Great career development
Cons
no good work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2