Columbia University

Columbia University Employer Reviews

Cool place
Lab technician (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
I worked part-time here, and I worked in a small team. My colleagues, which are actually PhD candidates, are friendly. The working environment is good
Good place depending on building some are very outdated
Technician II (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 4, 2014
Pros: good place
Cons: to much drama
overall good depending on the facility you are in some buildings are vey old
school
Faculty house management (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 4, 2014
Learned a lot from college graduates in the job field. temporary internship
Relaxed, flexible environment,generally nice co-workers
HR Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: environment, location
Cons: not centralized, lack of concrete classification system in comparison to public sector.
Depending upon the area/department, Columbia can provide a good work/life balance and has many employment options/flexibility for certain situations.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 20, 2014
Pros: team work
A typical day at work was filed all patients records, scheduled meetings and luncheons, coordinate parties for the office, and answered all phone calls.

I learned how to multitask and prioritize.

Both my co-workers were a great team; we were like family and anything that we needed we cover each other. Overall it was a great team.

I enjoy this job – more... because of my physicians and my-co workers. It was an amazing experience. – less
coworkers friendly work place environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 19, 2014
Pros: gaining work experience
Cons: seasonal position
start the work day at 9am till 5pm each day mail assortment opening mail and pick ups/ delivery mail for columbia university office of admissions. i learned how to alpha order with mail assortment and being on time for work is important in life. i never met the management at columbia university. there was nothing hard at my job because it was seasonal – more... position. free food and parties for the staff was my most enjoyable part. – less
Typical postdoc experience
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
All in all good work experience. Offers typical soft-skill courses for post docs. Access to postdoc housing makes living in NYC affordable.
Interesting and busy during admissions season
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 1, 2014
Pros: free lunch and tuition reimbursement
Cons: lack for professional growth, hiring usually done from within
A typical day at work would be to scan, file and enter credentials of confidential matter into various computer application systems. Processed thousands of graduate applications and processed decisions generating decision letters. Answering emails and phone calls from students, staff members and departments. Required to sit as a receptionist various – more... times during any month where I answered questions and directed guests to other departments, schools or staff members.
The best part of this job was the large diversified group of people I worked with continuously. The hardest part of the job was the long hours during admission season. – less
Interesting place to work. Low pay. Few opportunities to promote. Poor mentorship
Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2014
Pros – Columbia has good benefits and gives the opportunity to interact with bright people.

Cons – The mentorship is poor or inexistent with lack of motivation. Very low pay, even below NIH recommended pay rate. Lack of opportunities to promote and to develop as an independent researcher.

Advice to Senior Management – If you work in science look up – more... your PI before you join a lab. Look for productivity and originality. Some PI's are stuck and it is hard to understand how are they still there or who review their performance – less
allowed to work at my own pace
Office Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 25, 2014
While working at the admissions office at Columbia I helped a number of offices with many clerical duties such as filing, organizing, and data entry.
Productive and a friendly atmosphere, and very student oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Pros: very rewarding of the feeling with helping students
Cons: very busy environment
Prepared financial documents for Accounts Payable (cash advances, petty cash, deposits and stop check requests)
Recruited, interviewed, supervised, scheduled hours, tasks and processed payroll per diem employees
Reconciled all purchases made on the department purchase card and verified all transactions were valid
Sent out Letter of Offer/or scholarship – more... information. Organized travel arrangements for visiting scholars
Prepared new student orientation materials and scheduled meetings between students and advisors
Maintained prospective, incoming, active student databases, and master of class schedule
Assisted in coordinating department events (i.e. graduation parties and conferences for faculty and students)
Updated the Unify online system and department bulletin with changes of curriculum, courses and programs – less
Productive and nice environment
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 11, 2014
Productive and nice environment to work for. Coworkers are friendly and management is fair enough.
Never a dull moment
Egg Donor Program Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 11, 2014
Pros: 8 + weeks vacation, benefits
Cons: limited budget
I manage a team of people that help connect anonymous egg donors with potential recipients/intended parents. My role is to manage cases for both parties and make appropriate matches. I also do supportive counseling for individuals, couples, and groups.
great company to work for.
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 7, 2014
Pros: kind faculty
Cons: big company people don't know you by name.
excellent company to work for, great supervisors and the kids are wonderful.
Very fast paced environment
Revenue Cycle Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Lee, NJJune 4, 2014
I did not work at Columbia long because it was a temp position. I was transferred by the temp agency to a closer job.
Busy and Learning environment you can never get tired of.
Media Services Tech (Former Employee), NY, NYMay 25, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Great talking to the teachers and students. updating computers, set up and break down computers. Learned how to socialize and have fun at work. It was a great feeling walking into work everyday, i didm mind long shifts because i loved the environment as a whole. Study for IT field and if hiring i suggest apply. If you get hired, Congratz!
advanced research facilities
Senior Staff Associate (Current Employee), Department of OphthalmologyMay 15, 2014
Pioneer in many biomedical research fields. Well-organized research facilities.
Worked with some great people
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: weak management
The patients I cared for was by far the most amazing part of my experience at Columbia.
A great graduate school
Ph.D. Dissertation with Wayne Hendrickson (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 24, 2014
I had an amazing experience at CU. Every Professor's door was open, I interacted with some of the best and brightest in the country. We had 2 nobel prize winners in the dept. And my boss is thought to be on "the maybe in the future list". I got to learn, discover and create my own research.
productive and fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2014
My peers and colleagues were highly qualified and intelligent.

1 2 3 4 5

About Columbia University

Founded in 1922 as one of the first three public health academies in the nation, Columbia University's Mailman School of Public – Read more

Columbia University Photos