Columbia University Employee Reviews

Productive fun workplace
Enrollment Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2017
a very good company to work for
productive, fast paced very diverse
learning culture supportive and patient coworkers, good work lkife balance fun workplace
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
need to hire more temporary workers permanently
not specific time hours reduce productivity
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2017
there is not a good money situation in my group to provide material necessary for the job, there are not that many projects here and the group is based on single cell analysis method which doesn't have novelty.
you will be under pressure if you make a single mistake and the time hours are not clear, the patient sample might arrive at 6 and it takes 5 hours to process the cancer tissue and prepare.
you cant have regular life and timing for evening classes if you want to schedule.
Cons
not specific time hours at work
A Typical day at Work
Mainframe Production Control/Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2017
My typical day at work would be monitoring and troubleshooting previous nights failed jobs. I would receive calls for restart or remedy fail jobs. In addition, I would handle special projects from my manager on a weekly basis.
Pros
Good union benefits for employees in our department
Cons
Poor manager under our department
Very Busy,Productive, Excellent Surgeons
Site Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ortho/Spine Hospital Allen PavillionSeptember 15, 2017
My experience here at the Spine Hospital/Orthopaedic department has been an educational, motivational experience. Excellent Teamwork and inspirational
Pros
Educational
Associate Faculty
Associate in Clinical Dentistry, (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
A typical day at work included classroom instruction; day to day program management. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the students graduate after successfully completing their studies. The workplace culture was one of support. and great mentorship.
Fun Place
Account Receivables Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, NJSeptember 12, 2017
Columbia is a very professional institution to work at. It is so big that there are endless career opportunities to explore. It is one of the top medical institutions in the country to work at.
good to work there
RESEARCH SCIENTIST/POSTDOCTORAL (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
When I worked there, the pace is fast and projects are almost unlimited so one can learn so much and improve a lot - good for someone who wants to explore and ...
Productive Workplace
Senior Director, Sponsored Projects Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
Deadline driven environment, but enjoyable. Culture is satisfactory. Learned to work more efficiently and effectively. An enjoyable work environment
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Fair
Medical Biller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2017
The staff was okay. Not the best environment to work in as far as location. They did move staff to new jersey. It's a very high volume department. Learned a fair amount of work.
Interesting
Executive Assistant, Public Agenda (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2017
Columbia was a great place to work. Daily activity included involvement with government and community people, which led to a great deal of learning of how things operated in our City. Confirming meeting dates and times, even internal, was very difficult. Meeting so many interesting people.

I appreciated the interaction with people of many walks of life.

Want to know more about Columbia University?

Ask a question
Columbia is Great
Housing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2017
Great atmosphere, great campus, great food, and all around great working environment. the students are friendly, and co workers are friendly and very helpful.
management
Billing and Customer Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  5th avenueSeptember 6, 2017
there is a lot of confusion with work delegation as well as process workflow. relax environment but lack of communication between employees and management
Pros
people are nice
Old-school with pun intended
Internal Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2017
Very slow pace, very academic and progressive in some departments and moving at carbon-copy pace in others. Many employees seem institutionalized having been there for decades.
Strong culture for education
Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2017
Working in an academic research lab at Columbia University has been a tremendous experience that has played an invaluable role in my development as a scientist. I was fortunate to find an amazing, collaborative, and diverse research group led by a principle investigator whose focus was on education.
Productive, satisfying.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlem, NYAugust 24, 2017
Great place to work, balanced. Good working relationship with colleagues. Diverse work staff, great opportunities for professional growth. Great benefits - 401K, college tuition
Pros
College tuition
Cons
Na
Diverse workforce
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2017
A typical day at work involve several situations. From screening patients, enroll, collecting data, monitoring patients and spend long time in the OR.
Pros
Offers faculty and staff benefits
Cons
Low opportunities to grow
Left a Sinking Ship
Production Chef (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10027August 22, 2017
My 1st year was great my second year was terrible. responsible for ensuring all food production for an all you can eat (breakfast, lunch & dinner) cafeteria 6 days a week 12 hours a day, supervising a staff of approximately 50 union workers with a management team of 4 people including myself. April Of my 1st year of employment, senior management fired my director, leaving me to finish the school year as the senior manager of my unit with assistance from the assistant director. this was accomplished with few hiccups. my 2nd year I was teamed up with a new director and we were not in agreement on many managerial philosophies. he was senior to me and I was no longer enjoying the job as I had prior to his promotion. I decided to leave primarily due to our untenable relationship.
Pros
free food great benefits working on a college campus was great
Cons
very difficult union employees to manage.
Productive and I work with a great staff
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2017
I handle every day to day issues that may arise with patients and/or not limit to office staff. I make sure all billing is submitted at a timely manner.
great benefits
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2017
physically and mentally hard work. 3 different shifts. very diverse population of workers. supply uniforms. very strict dress code. great security, on campus.
n/a
Financial Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
Wonderful environment and wonderful people. You will learn a lot from Columbia, where you can take with you while furthering your career, either with Columbia or elsewhere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2