Columbia University Employee Reviews

working with Cancer patients is stressful but very rewarding.
office manager (Former Employee) –  161 Ft. Washington Avenue, NY, NYJuly 21, 2017
My day would start by checking voice messages and emails from patients who either needed to speak or see the doctor and it was always immediately. I had to try to prioritize who sees him first. Then office hours began. I enjoyed meeting patients and their families (if they came with them) Sometimes they were alone and they would sit in my office and talk to me about their fears and their successes. I can't think of one patient I didn't like. Yes, some would drive me crazy but I wasn't working for a dentist - he was a rare cancer specialist.
flexible schedule
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
flexible Schedule for those worker that has kids home to go to. Especially those who are single parents with infant or small children, that needs the maternal and paternal figure in their early life.
Very Productive
Accounting Coordinator, Facilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2017
Very productive place and room of growth within the department,but after the merge the administration change and the department became very absent minded and opportunities were only been offered to merge side
A good place to work and learn
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2017
Columbia is a great place to work and the environment is coporate, but at the same time friendly. I really enjoyed working there; I worked there for over 27 years.
Pros
Good benefits, casual dress, excercise facility on campus
Cons
No parking
I'ts a big institution
Data Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2017
Very big institution were there is opportunity to move to other departments. People are great to work with and there are several unions including 911 with all the benefits that includes.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Salaries are low compare to other institutions
Best Job Ever
Associate Consultant/Writing Center (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2017
An ever-stimulating workplace where I found tremendous fulfillment in not only helping students to shape and improve their academic papers, but also personal essays for law, medical and divinity schools.

My hours were different each day, as I was also working in the same capacity at Yeshiva University and Grace Church School (also in New York City). I learned patience and the necessary art of close listening, as many of my students were international. This close listening enabled me to form the right questions about their rhetorical goals, and thus ensure that their meaning was effectively communicated.

The workplace culture at Columbia consisted of the nicest and most intelligent people I have ever known. As the school itself is a pressure cooker, the Writing Center was a place to not only improve writing and understand assignments, but also served as an oasis to mitigate the stress, anxiety and competitiveness the students were under.

The hardest part of the job was working with students in the sciences. Being a humanities person myself, I had to formulate strategies to understand the necessary language which conformed to their disciplines.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a wonderful, supportive community; of making a difference in students' lives and learning so much myself.
Pros
Great culture, people and atmosphere.
Cons
Frustration at shortness of tutoring sessions, expense of living in NYC necessitating a move upstate.
Great place to work and improve.
former doorman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2017
Columbia University was an amazing place to work. It gave me my first opportunity when I left the military and provided with a good position while I went to school to improve myself. I met many wonderful there who were most helpful in providing me advice.
relentlessly fast-paced, high pressure, competitive
Executive Administrator to Division Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2017
Day began early in the morning with texts and emails to address before getting to office no later than 8:15am. 10 hour plus days in the office were typical during which I was glued to my computer, just getting up from desk for a couple of bathroom breaks. Texts and emails continued well into the night, past 11pm.
Pros
I had a job
Cons
not very good work-life balance; constant pressure to perform better
Good Place for Professional Growth
Associate Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2017
Columbia is a great place. One can grow within the University. Must be able to manage multiple and competing priorities and have the skills to collaborate with others.
not great management/organization/communication
Dental Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2017
not great management/organization/communication. needs better structure and guidance. better support of staff members. needs to provide proper training and managers on the floor to assist with patient comlaints
Great work environment
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
Columbia Genome Center was a great lab to work at, collaborate with others, cutting edge research and great mentoring.
It is part of the university and thus you get good health benefits and life insurance.
Pros
collaborations and mentoring
Cons
low pay
Fun
Cashier/Barista/Porter (Current Employee) –  116th BroadwayJune 18, 2017
Its a fun palace to work at. Beer had any bad situations while working there. I love the work place. I love the employees and mangers. Transportation is cool also.
Good learning experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2017
Professor was very supportive and knowledgeable in mentoring students on research. I was offered great opportunities to apply my undergraduate studies to practical uses.
Just my school
Computational Finance Application (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
I am just a student in Columbia University and all my work there are based on my course study. It is always a wonderful place for anyone from anywhere in this world to study in Columbia. You can meet every talented people and broaden your horizon.
productive workplace
Department of dermatology-Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
sincere work environment with tremendously knowledgeable peers who were willing to help in every possible way. learned the advanced research techniques used in cancer research.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
compensation benefits
Student
Medical Assistant to Dermatologist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2017
Post-Baccalaureate Premedical student 2002-2004. Prior to undergoing a career in medicine, I studied at Columbia as as undergraduate student from 1996-2000, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature.
Great opportunities for students
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
While at Columbia, I was able to get real research experience that helped prepare me for a career in academia. I would recommend this institution both educationally and for work.
Supportive leadership and coworkers
Research Assistant, Higgin's Social Cognition Lab (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
Excellent culture of acceptance and support. Can be competitive at times but not a hostile environment as some other places may be. Greatly enjoyed time and experience here.
A wonderful insight into the Global Job Market
Human Resources (Intern) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
Ensuring foreign professors, professors on Sabatical, and staff onsight received all support necessary, enabling Columbia Universtity students receive a top notch education from it's Law Dept.
Easy work for students
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2017
Public Safety was fine for current undergraduate students of Columbia University. Decent pay and you more or less get to choose your own hours. Paid training,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3