Columbia University Employee Reviews

Great collaborative and creative work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2014
I really appreciate the chance to be able to study and work at Columbia Chemistry department with outstanding professors and talented students. The highly interactive environment in our department brought up many new ideas to my research. Most of my PhD work is done here, including the very exciting perovskite solar cell projects. I especially thank the post-doc of our group who worked with me to initiate this project. I also got help from two other postdocs of our group and one out of our group. I learned that in scientific research, team work and collaboration is very important, especially for very challenging projects. You will never know who will help you in your success. Talking with people, discussing what you get and asking for suggestions can accelerate your progress a lot.

The hardest part of the project is at the end. We needed to repeat some experiments but had no fresh samples. The previous sample preparation set-up was removed. Even my professor was thinking about giving up trying new samples and using the old one which was probably still 'alive'. But I insisted to try to make some new samples to make sure our data are reliable. I worked very hard with my co-workers for two weeks and finally prepared some new samples and got the results we need. This is actually the most enjoyable part of this project. You know what you need to support your idea and work hard with co-workers and finally you got it, as you expected! As for graduate study and research, I think the most attractive and enjoyable part is the problem-solving process. You ask why and think about how to
  more... know the 'why', design experiment procedure and do experiments to solve your questions. Of course, during this process you will encounter lots of accessions which is not as you expected. Through discussing with the professor and co-workers, you have to figure out your own way to solve these problems and finally get the answer. These struggling days and nights are actually the most treasurable moments in my graduate studies.  less
Being assistant to the dean allowed me to grow professionnally. I simply loved that job!
Executive Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2014
• Key member of the Dean’s Office staff responsible for the central coordination of all functions and activities of the office and the overall executive support to the Dean
• Organized the Dean's administrative and scholarly endeavors
• Ensured the cultivation of relationships with University constituents
• Managed access to the Dean
• Communicated the goals and priorities set by the Dean to the Dean’s Office staff
• Liaised with the Office of the President, the Provost, and the Secretary, Deans and Academic Program Directors, Board of Visitors, senior academic officers and staff of the University, and student group leaders
• Facilitated the working collaboration with Vice Deans, Associate Deans, and Department Heads
• Assisted the Dean with confidential department chair searches and tenure reviews
• Coordinated all development-related matters with the Office of Development and Alumni Relations
• Planned, implemented and managed high-profile events, including annual conferences with engineering ivy league deans and international deans, biannual retreats for senior staff and department chairs, executive committee meetings, annual faculty meeting, and presentations
• Drafted sensitive or high-level correspondence and facilitated resolution of matters requiring the Dean's attention
Ideal job
NP coordinator and provider (Former Employee) –  Columbia University,NY,NYMay 15, 2013
Working in this academic practice with world class physicians and researchers afforded me the opportunity to learn high risk OB from the best. I was able to work with many different doctors, giving me access to different approaches to same problems. Our practice was evidence based and research was discussed regularly to best advise our practice. I appreciated access to great weekly conferences from all fields and was inspired by the multidisciplinary approach to care. When I was transferred to perinatal clinic, the job became ideal as I was working with the population that I love. The clinic gave me contact with residents and fellows and allowed for more independence in daily practice. Daily I was required to triage patients needs,calls, complaints, questions, I also interacted with referring providers, acting as a sounding board for their questions and offerring expert advice regarding care. I scheduled appointments,provided direct patient care and generally kept the perinatal service running.
Pros
tuition reimbursement for college for dependents, fabulous conferences, working with world class providers
Cons
hospital and university practice management was challenging
Conservative work environment filled with dedicated professionals.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2013
A typical day at Columbia University for me began with corresponding to students via emails. Students typically work late into the night, so in the morning their emails were my first priority. From that I moved on to one or more of the following; planning and managing events; committee meetings; overseeing room reservation request; managing and administering grant funding; directing clergy and staff; and student engagement and development.

My co-workers were wonderful and we enjoyed a collegial and supportive working relationships. I think management could do better to provide more oversight into each department/area and methods of reporting and documenting staff concerns.

The most enjoyable part of my position and time at Columbia is the relationships I had with my students. They taught me so much and were influential part of my career and personal development. The hardest part of the job was not having enough time in the day to enjoy the extra-curricular learning opportunities, i.e. lectures, workshops and classes.
Pros
great employee benefits
Cons
there is always free food around, especially pizza. not good for your diet.
Quiet and peacefull place to work
Senior Secretary IV-Department of Neurology (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2014
Excellent!!! my experience at Columbia University was very very unique. a typical day will start very slowly doctors and fellow students will arrive around 10:00 in the morning , the Monday meeting i will be next to the director taking minutes that later i have to distribute to five labs, then i will star the purchase orders for the department of Neurology, office supplies , lab equipment and everything they need to do the research. Learned a lot of medical terminology regarding muscular distrophy with my boss,it was only me and a sweet lady in the office but i did a lot interaction with the fellows students that came to do research in our lab.
there was not hard part in my job because the doctors expend most of the days doing research and given lectures out of the country, so basically i was my own. the most enjoyable part of the job was when we can schedule patients knowing that they will see the best neurologist and i was be able to gave the appoimet there were waiting for ( waiting list was up to a Year just to see the neurologist)
Loved to work in Columbia Univeristy.
Pros
good salary, excellent people different international culture.
Cons
too cold
Great working environment and great pay
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Broadway, New York, New YorkJune 7, 2015
I got this job through a temp agency and worked for the standard 4 month period for non-union audio/visual technicians. Each day I would go into the office and get my assignments out of my folder, report to where my assignment was to be held, and do my work. Some days I would set up and run an entire production alone, and then break it down (strike) myself or someone would relieve me. Other days I would work on a team and would communicate via radio for ques on when to do certain things such as dim lights, switch video presentations that were on separate computers, work the EQ and volume for microphones or any audio used for presentations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was producing a good show and hearing the client tell me that he was very happy with how everything I was responsible for went. The hardest part of the job was the commute, otherwise I enjoyed just about all of it. There was a lot of physical labor involved but I just took it as a good workout.
Pros
Free lunches, exercise, great people
Cons
Long commute to and from work.
Productive and a friendly atmosphere, and very student oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Prepared financial documents for Accounts Payable (cash advances, petty cash, deposits and stop check requests)
Recruited, interviewed, supervised, scheduled hours, tasks and processed payroll per diem employees
Reconciled all purchases made on the department purchase card and verified all transactions were valid
Sent out Letter of Offer/or scholarship information. Organized travel arrangements for visiting scholars
Prepared new student orientation materials and scheduled meetings between students and advisors
Maintained prospective, incoming, active student databases, and master of class schedule
Assisted in coordinating department events (i.e. graduation parties and conferences for faculty and students)
Updated the Unify online system and department bulletin with changes of curriculum, courses and programs
Pros
very rewarding of the feeling with helping students
Cons
very busy environment
I found the atmosphere at Columbia to be professional as well as educational.
Service Representative, Procurement Service Center (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2012
A typical day at work started with turning on the phone lines and assisting customers all day with their inquiries. I learned to manage my time well by shutting down the phones when I had designated time to do research, return calls and emails. When certain cases were not wthin my area of responsibility, I found management to be instrumental in recomending resolutions. I was one of four representatives in my team and we all worked well with assisting one another. The hardest part of the job was reponding to a caller when their case had been escalated but was still unresolved. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I had made my customers happy when they found my assistance helpful.
Pros
i liked working independantly and also as a team member.
Cons
my inability to follow up with the case once it was assigned to another area.
Productive and busy place to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2013
I learned how to work with different levels of authority, provide their needs which was the most challenging part.

A typical day is preparing for a luncheon, calling vendors to make sure food and drinks are to arrive on time. Have payments available for guest lecturer. Schedule travel arrangements, hotel accommodations, Manage directors calendar and provide assistance to students and faculty as they came through the door.

Most enjoyable were working with the students. Learning a new program, an example would be profcast. Profcast was used to record lectures for a science course and uploaded in the departments website. Coworkers were the first group of people I've worked with that worked as a team and followed through. It was a memorable experience.
Pros
free lunch, access to library, flex time and working with various cultures.
Cons
healthcare and constant interruption.
Columbia University is a great institution, excellent beneftis, very fair, provides helpful resources for employees. The best
Manager of Academic Appointments and Promotions (Former Employee) –  PH 16th Floor - New York, NYMay 4, 2012
A typical day at work, first thing in the morning write a "to do list", organize/prioritize work load, confirm deadlines., use own initiative on how to get the deadlines working and at the same time working on other tasks on my "to do list"

What I learned - At Columbia I learned that my work is a reflection of me, and I have to say I sure felt good about myself. As manager iof appointments, which are time sensitive, I left as an employee that can be trusted.

Co-workers, - great ! I am a team oriented person

The hardest part of the job - appointments have depth, and when in doubt before sending an offer letter, I took time to ask questions via e-mail.

Most enjoyable part of the job. (1) challenge of meeting all deadlines, (2) felt good about myself (3) working with the highly educated.
Academia remains predictable but pleasing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Work often fluctuates with the schoo lyear and works agonistic to the students schedules so during heavy academic periods depending on what the position you have you may either have less or more work depending on homw many students need you or if your work impacts or is more impacted by the students' lives or work.

The advantages of being on campus beyond being around others as they are learning.
Most work especially reasearching has a a bit of cushines that allows one to ake the intellectual risks needed to make good work thus maing the administrators the great thorn in the side of the researchers as they are the limiting factor to the all consuming academic drive.
Pros
Food every where, general air of comfort among employess
Cons
Frantic self importantant students, bureaucracy
Great educating place for students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2013
1. Taught students to develop the skills to perform simulation
2. Through the experience, I have improved a lot of my communication skills and how to explain something profound but in a rather simple way.
3. My coworkers was great, we shared the responsibility of assisting the professor in lecturing and help students who came to us to better understand the rules of stock market
4. As an international students, the hardest part might be the difficulty to integrate myself into American culture, from which we share different values as well as education background
5. Also the same as the hardest part of the job, to adapt yourself into a different culture is itself a learning process, through which you could broaden your vision and really enjoy yourself
support and encouragement
Officer of Research - Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2013
To establish and maintain relationships with research participants and their families to increase levels of participation and retention. I accomplish this by establishing contacts and referrals to local groups and governmental agencies to provide services and support groups as well as to keep the participants abreast of the study developments and finds in general.

I personally visited them at their homes, senior centers or places or recreation as seen fit. The most challenging part was to account for those that moved, passed away or changed phone numbers without prior notification. I very much enjoyed the relationships and the smiles. I learned to be respectful and non-judgmental.
Pros
commitment to the community
Cons
non
I worked independently. Learned a lot of skills, such as microsoft, excel, document spread sheet and database. Also adding machines.
Coordinator of Student Financial Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2013
Coordinator of student services, Cashiers division. Processing international checks for domestic exchange. Process rejected checks and credit cards. Type and send notification letters to parents, students and companies. File records, disburse student loan, stipend and refund checks. Use excel to produce outstanding balances for each month.Reconcile of outstanding debits and credits for accounts payable monthly statements. Process Student payments and assist supervisor as needed. Balance cashiers for closing of the day.
Pros
celebrate a day in the summer-time with friends and family
Cons
1 hour lunch break
A Private University With a Commitment to Public Service
Special Assistant to the Faculty (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2015
Columbia is a large academic center with local, national and international affiliations and relationships. This has made it a world class university and students and faculty find working and studying here to be challenging and rewarding.

Staff salaries have improved and benefits, including tuition support are attractive. The quality of work environments varies so it helps to do some research before applying for employment, but in general the atmosphere is generally professional and working here is a rewarding experience.
Pros
Generous benefits, including the opportunity to earn a degree at little cost.
Cons
Inconsistent management quality and poor HR administration.
Warm and fun place to work. Not the real world. Columbia University is a city within a city. Very well endowed.
Area Housing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2012
A typical day in the office was absolutely student oriented. No real pressure to maintain occupancy and most of the tenant disputes were minor petty disputes. Learned how to be extremely curteous as there are high ranking officers and faculty living in the building that I managed. My best friends were my co-workers and outside contractors. I think the hardest part of the job was having to terminate non-productive employees because there is a union there and a very strong one. All in all, Columbia University was the best job I ever had. Many times I wish I'd never left.
Pros
best benefits ever
Cons
salaries were not high paying
Creative and harding working environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2014
I was hired as a temporary assistant to cover the Operations administrative assistant who was out of the country for a month. The team was friendly and welcoming and needed a temporary assistant to handle the rhythm of their office while she was gone. The Chief Operating Officer appreciated my work so much he recommended me to the HR Director for his division.

The most important thing I learned on that assignment is no matter how short or long the contract it is important to treat every assignment as if it were my own full-time position and/or business.
Pros
close to home, great hours
Cons
out dated building, however they were in the process of updating while i was there.
Postdoc. Fellow
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2013
I successfully wrote a National Institute of Health grant proposal and was awarded a $45,000 grant to support my current fellowship. I’ve managed multiple research projects simultaneously from inception to completion. In my postdoc experience, as a non-elected Senator of the Columbia University Senate, I mediated a dialogue between the Research Officers Committee and the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research to address the inequities in health insurance coverage for post-doctoral fellows. As a result of my efforts, the administration amended its budgeting policy to provide additional funding for expanded health insurance coverage for post-doctoral fellows.
Oversee and manage production for first year students dining facilities
Executive Sous / Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2013
Colombia University first year dining facilities served 1400 students 3 times a day plus 400 faculty and employees.
We also supplied the campus with a catering needs and fuctions.
I assissted in organizing an over nght commissary operation which produced homeready meals, sandwiches and salads for the cafe's throughout the campus.
I created a kiosk of wrapper sandiwiches which opened up in the third year dining hall along with pizza hut and taco bell. I sold 6,000 samdwiches opening week~~
I was promoted to Executive Sous Chef
Pros
had the opportunity to meet really exceptionall gifted students and genuises
Cons
paid once a month
Great environment
Vendor Management and Relations Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2012
 Managing programs and initiatives – Assisted in the development of the Small Business Program at the University by developing reports for federal agencies, preparing spending plans for federal contract holding schools and departments. Met reporting deadlines in compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations and analyzed federal grants and contracts to determine federal guideline compliance. Assisted in moving the SBA program rating from marginal to acceptable while avoiding potential liquidated damages and a negative impact to any future awards.
Pros
great educational and learning environment to advance in my career
Cons
gret benefits

4.2