Columbia University Employee Reviews in United States

A good assignment
Contract AcIS Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2016
This was a temporary assignment that I had wished would have proceeded longer as this was a great place to work at. Staff was very supportive and I learned new skills.
good place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2016
The staff and management are very professional and nice to their employees. Very organized setting with not too many setbacks
Pros
work in a hospital setting
Cons
Alot of work
Excellent University Work Environment
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
Excellent Job/Position. I worked actively with numerous students and faculty at Hospitals. I Undertook Extensive Research.
Pros
Provided Financial Funding
Cons
None. Everything was Excellent.
The money made the politics worth it
Administrative Clerk, Department of Medicine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2016
There is an underlying system at work in Columbia University. There are rules that most people don't even know about. The key to succeeding at CU is to know someone/their sister/their aunt, their brother or their dad. Its all about who you know. The people in a position to hire and fire are all looking to hire who they know from their own personal lives. And that kind of sucks.
My supervisor refused to teach me anything new despite requesting more tasks. She insisted she had no time to teach me anything. Then she hired someone she had to teach anyway. It was not okay.
Pros
Conveniently located
Cons
The managerial staff is not very helpful or motivating.
Internal movement very limited
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2016
Check messages to account and prepare for staffing requirements. Operators report to work, turn on system and begin taking calls. I log into system and monitor calls. Check reports and get an idea of what to expect. Prepare several type of reports as required by management. Communicate with operator issues or concerns that come up throughout the day and come up with workable solutions. Feeling that there is something else you can do even when meeting dissatisfied customer needs. Having callers say "Thank You"
Pros
Unlimited Sick days
Cons
internal movement
Too bad it was a only temp position
Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2016
Hours were great. Management on all levels was superb. Co- workers were great. Learned several news skills to add to my repertoire.
Fun workplace
Financial Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2016
Fun place to work as an intern. Staff is very accommodating to students if they have an exam or other academic commitments.
Great place !
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2016
Great place to gain experience and knowledge about so many different levels of work environment. Sometimes, you might feel overwhelmed but your co-workers will help you to cover it.
Nice Job
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Good place to work and provided stable income. In addition, tuition benefit is a perk as well. So go for it if you want to experience it.
Pros
Nice staff, nice offices, good benefits
Cons
The location is pretty inconvenient
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
I took classes with all different people and enjoyed the input of others about art. We also took trips to places outside of the campus which help broaden my horizon
Management has potential
Administrative Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Management has potential to excel their employees by enrolling in leadership courses and training. There is an over load of work without any compensation.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
overload of work with no compensation
Wonderful Place to Work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lee, NJFebruary 18, 2016
I enjoy my postion within Columbia very much. They have given me a chance to grow and I have learn so much from all of the co-workers to management.
Most Enjoyable part of the Job
Reservation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job here at Columbia is being a part of a great team. All departments working together to ensure a great outcome of an event. Also the skills and relationships learned and built in my time here at Columbia University.
Difficult personalities to manage
Bioinformatics Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
I am a PhD student self-trained to be a bioinformatician. Administration is always disorganized. Have to deal to difficult people on a daily basis
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Some good staff to work with, staff willing to train. Company offers over time. Office at good location. They have good office parties.
Pros
Share work related information
Cons
lack of communication
Working very busy.
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
On a daily basis there are many invoices to be paid. Management dose not give any clues on to deal with union employees. Most co-workers are very friendly and are willingly to help. The hardest part of the job is how to deal with union employees who are not performing well. The most enjoyable part of the job is their benefits. Good medical programs and of course free tuition.
Academia remains predictable but pleasing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Work often fluctuates with the schoo lyear and works agonistic to the students schedules so during heavy academic periods depending on what the position you have you may either have less or more work depending on homw many students need you or if your work impacts or is more impacted by the students' lives or work.

The advantages of being on campus beyond being around others as they are learning.
Most work especially reasearching has a a bit of cushines that allows one to ake the intellectual risks needed to make good work thus maing the administrators the great thorn in the side of the researchers as they are the limiting factor to the all consuming academic drive.
Pros
Food every where, general air of comfort among employess
Cons
Frantic self importantant students, bureaucracy
Administrative Coordinator (Business Services) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Great place to work with great people, excellent benefits and the environment is energetic. I wouldn't mind working there again.
CU is a great educational experience
Student in Programming Languages and Translators (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
A great place for a student to be challenged, inspired by peers, and meet some of the top people in any field. Expect a diverse and challenging education and academic environment.
A real grindhouse
Assistant Director of Athletics Communications (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2015
I work in athletics, which at times is 7 days a week, 10-14 hours a day. It's a grind, and kind of a mess. I have definitely learned how to take initiative if nothing else, partially due to the fact that if I hadn't, nothing would be accomplished. New tasks and responsibilities that I had not originally been assigned to me are created on a weekly basis. If you want to have a significant other, family, extra money in your bank account or social life, go do anything else.
Pros
I don't spend all my money doing fun things because I have no time to
Cons
Read the above review

4.2