Columbia University

Columbia University Employee Reviews

Great Location
Sterilization Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 24, 2015
Pros: Learn something new.
Cons: Time was short.
I only work there a short time. I work in the lab clearing the glassware. I learn about acid wash and sterilization of glassware for research. I worked alone. The hardest part of the job there was not enough time for the amount of work I had to do. I had to work really fast, and make sure the job was done correct.
Excellent way to gain teaching experience
Guest Lecturer/Teaching assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2015
Wonderful way to involve yourself in the educational and academic world of PT. I have had the pleasure of being a teaching assistant for various classes and labs, as well as being a guest lecture for some individual classes. Excellent experience.
productive and fun workplace
PORTER/HEAVY CLEANER (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 10, 2015
Pros: 40 hours
Cons: working in nasty and infectious environments sometimes
a typical day at work is such a workout, the custodial duties in a day will have you pretty beat however the workplace is fun, the people are nice, the students are nice, the worst part was working in the sun sometimes its too much. However, the checks made it all worth it.
Trying to help homeowners and families in need
Research Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2015
It is an organization that has been helping homeowners and families for 40 years. There are seminars on how to fix home, construction programs for young people, disaster assistance, rental assistance and other unmet needs assistance.
good for those attending school
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 7, 2015
Pros: leave time to study.
Cons: your up through the late night.
It was a good schedule to work. I felt it leaf other chances for school open or other forms of training to take up. The work wasn't at all hard very easy going and for the most productive.
Great working environment and great pay
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee), Broadway, New York, New YorkJune 7, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, exercise, great people
Cons: Long commute to and from work.
I got this job through a temp agency and worked for the standard 4 month period for non-union audio/visual technicians. Each day I would go into the office and get my assignments out of my folder, report to where my assignment was to be held, and do my work. Some days I would set up and run an entire production alone, and then break it down (strike) myself or someone would relieve me. Other days I would work on a team and would communicate via radio for ques on when to do certain things such as dim lights, switch video presentations that were on separate computers, work the EQ and volume for microphones or any audio used for presentations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was producing a good show and hearing the client tell me that he was very happy with how everything I was responsible for went. The hardest part of the job was the commute, otherwise I enjoyed just about all of it. There was a lot of physical labor involved but I just took it as a good workout.
Excellent workplace
Rapporteur (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 1, 2015
My three separate rolls at Columbia University consisted of three work study positions. These were picked on my own and applied for on an individual basis. I worked as an administrative assistant in the music department, a peer tutor for academic services, and a rapporteur (secretary) for the Irish Studies Seminar. I found my coworkers and supervisors to be supporting and friendly, and I learned how to balance my academic life with a personal one. The most enjoyable thing about my jobs were working with people and working with students and alumni on campus.
Good people, dated systems
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits, environment, people
Cons: Beurocratic and political
Extremely bureaucratic, but great benefits, people and work/life balance - comp is OK. Good luck trying to get anything done that is inter-office or inter-departmental. TERRIBLE admin systems.
Great Place to Work.
Manager - Faculty Secretariat (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits and Retirement Plan
Cons: you have to work during the summer
Deal with Students and Faculty. Summer time is slow. Spring and Fall are very busy with class materials and textbook inquiries.
It was professional place but not a team playing organization.
Private Tutor (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 26, 2015
It was an average institution. I did not enjoy working there, especially because it was a very individualistic approach and there was no teamwork at all. people were professional but there was no sense of camaraderie.
Student part-time job - nothing special
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 25, 2015
you get a job based on academic performance. You get direct relationship with the professor which is very special, but won't be helpful for getting a job outside unless you want to get a phd.
Is a great place to work for with good benefits
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 20, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: quick turn over
The only complaint I will have is that they work you until they cant no more, and the day you don't function to expectation they get rid of you.
Good Benefits; Good People; Ivy League Prestige
Full-time Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 12, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits; Good People; Ivy League Prestige
The Facilities Department of what was known at the time as the Health Sciences Campus of Columbus University had people who were nice and smart and realized how important it was to deliver good quality spaces to accommodate the level of healthcare that's expected of an Ivy League institution.

I was there back in 1995 through 2002, so I hope they're still as good as they were back then.
Great place to work and job security is optimal
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 9, 2015
Pros: Benefits, work life balance
Cons: Upwards mobility is difficult, but not impossible
Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) is a great place to work. Coworkers and management provide respectful environment. CUMC is a meeting of the minds. You have the ability to be a part of groundbreaking research. I would highly recommend working at CUMC .
Fast Pace
Health Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 27, 2015
Working this environment I had to learn to keep up with a fast pace environment and make adjustments when needed. Other employees helped a lot.
productive and fun place work
Waitress (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 22, 2015
Pros: free luches
Cons: short breaks and on call job
great place to work many opportunity and good compensation, good environment.multi culture and learn everyday new things personal and profesional .
Very good compensation/benefits and work/life balance
Assistant Director of Financial Planning (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 17, 2015
A typical day in this position at Columbia Business School's Financial Planning Office entitled monitoring and reconciling the financial activity of departments and programs internally and with the university accounting systems, along with preparing high level reports that detailed revenue, capital funds, expenditures of personnel and OTPS, and approving or rejecting journaling transfers.
Reputed Institution
HealthNet & Work-force Coordinator/Office Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 10, 2015
Columbia is a very reputed institution and people tend to stay there for decades, hence there are very strong relationships that are built, thus creating some politics. Otherwise, it is a nice place to work at, you will grow exponentially in whatever role and career you chose there.
Culture is King
Junior Faculty Night Clinic (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 3, 2015
I appreciated the culture at Columbia University College of Dental medicine for its egalitarian mindset. Predoctoral students were not looked down upon and senior faculty were not seen as inherently superior.
Hospitality
Office Assistant (Casual Staff) (Former Employee), NY,New YorkMarch 31, 2015
Columbia University is a magical magical place! It is a great place to learn and a beautiful campus Its was a great experience working with the students and staff.....

1 2 3 4 5

About Columbia University

Founded in 1922, Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health pursues an agenda of research, education, and service to – Read more

Columbia University Salaries