Columbia University Employee Reviews

awful place
Pantry (runner) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10027September 17, 2016
the staff consist of people who lack respect and decency to communicate effectively with their peers. management will side with union employees based on seniority. work effort means nothing here.
Pros
pay and union
Cons
to much work for little pay
Not a Team Environment
HELPDESK MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2016
Perform basic networking maintenance (switches, wireless and other network devices).Support a 300+ user LAN from the hardware arena.
Perform purchasing functions for various IT products, including quotes and requisitions.
Research Assitant
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2016
Working here gave great insight in what it takes for run/work in a research environment. Gained great recruiting skills and was able to build relationships with colleagues as you are usually partnered with someone. Great Experience
Pros
Networking Opportunites, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Work can be demanding( ex. recruiting during rain, cold, extreme heat)
Nice place to work in an academic environment. A lot of opportunities to learn and explore new database or technology.
Research and Collection Development Librarian (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2016
The peak time is quiet busy. Learned lot by providing instruction sessions. The co-workers are very cooperative and committee work always fun to work
Pros
Academic environment, good benifit, in NY city
Cons
never clos even in winter storm when city is close
Great Place to Work for IT
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Columbia benefits and support from HR has been the best I've ever worked at. They do put their employees first.
Working in IT has a ton of benefits with hours and great management.
The people who work at Columbia are the nicest and most helpful. Many people have worked at Columbia for over 20 years.
Pros
Great benefits, great management, great vacation and time off
Cons
Salary isn't as competitive
fun workplace
Assistant Manager - Housing & Dining (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2016
great opportunity to learn from another chef, daily new produce to prepare, great people to work for, employees and supervisor great team.
Well organized and functional institution.
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
A wonderful environment to work. The staff I worked with was very well mannered. We all worked extremely hard to accomplish our daily tasks.
Pros
RESPECTFUL
Cons
LADDER HIERACHY
Exciting, inspiring workplace
Professor of Writing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Columbia is an invigorating experience all around, with tremendous intellectual stimulation to offer both students and professors.
Pros
Great opportunity.
Cons
Job is limited to one semester.
Great Benefits, Bad Atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYJuly 19, 2016
Disclaimer: Columbia University is a big place with many different schools and offices. I cannot speak for every school and office in the university, only for the one where I worked.

When I first started to work at Columbia, the school where I was working was a great place to work. I was treated well, and was made to feel valued and appreciated.

As time went on, things changed, and the atmosphere of the workplace became very toxic, and it became difficult to work there. Employees were treated poorly, and the management gave us no encouragement, help or appreciation. Employees became ill from the stress.

My co-workers were, for the most part, helpful and nice. The students were also polite, friendly and thankful for whatever help we gave them. I had a good rapport, also, with faculty members. Management was another story.

Columbia offers very good benefits, which almost made the awful workplace atmosphere bearable.
Pros
Good benefits, including generous vacation allowance and free tuition
Cons
Office politics, unnecessary stress, harassment
University
Post Baccalaureate Student (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
Top-notch university offering courses across all disciplines. Amazing professors, great opportunities for students. Beautiful campus, good career prep. Great atmosphere.
Great career development for employees
Director of Campus Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
work at Columbia for 13 years and I was supported and groomed from an entry level manager to a senior staff.
I worked very hard like everywhere else but i felt appreciated and rewarded for my hard work.
Pros
Great career development
Cons
no good work life balance
Not worth the risk
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
Bad environment and vey difficult people to work with. That is a general consensus of people who are at Columbia. Just because it has a good academic name does not translate in to a good work place. It is not worth the risk. If you see many job posting there is a reason.
Fun work environment, productive setting
Student Service Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
I was recently employed as a temp in the Student Services department at Columbia Law School. There I was tasked with assisting students and staff with invoice processing, travel arrangements, and reimbursements for school-related expenses. I also assisted one of our Associate Deans with clerkships by corresponding with various SDNY Chambers in order to learn about their clerkship hiring practices and opportunities for our students. Finally, I assist other Managers and Directors with a multitude of administrative duties on an ad hoc basis.
Rewarding place where to work
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
My experience at Columbia has been extremely rewarding up to this point, especially thanks to my advisor, who is approachable and allows you to have a flexible schedule, as long as you meet expected levels of productivity.
Pros
Flexibility
Extremely demanding and engaging
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Great opportunity to learn - worked with world renowned academic and researcher, Saskia Sassen and developed essential critical writing and analysis skills from her course on Global Urbanism
good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
very nice faculty, friendly environment. work load depend on different courses, get salary biweekly, but in our department, the paycheck get messed up sometime, but after you tell them, they will fix it quickly
My Columbia University Experience
Associate Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
New York year round is constant. This week 5/10/16 is reading and exam week for our student body, which means my building (the student center) remains open for 24 hours annually to accommodate study time. As operations managers we are required to be present during open building hours. I am currently working 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM, waking up at 3:30 AM and bed by 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM. On a normal schedule I open the building and set pace for the oncoming day. I unlock all accessible points of access, walk the building for any facilities or maintenance concerns from tenants, staff, and students. Start the daily status report, update data files, schedule employees for shifts, open/ tracking work orders for building operational concerns, project and construction management. I wear many hats in my position. I serve as a liaison between our building tenants, camps/ building facilities, Public Safety, executive administration, and most importantly the students.

One significant factor about Columbia in the city of New York is the culture. With a rich and robust history that spans over 100 years, learning to embrace my talents and polished me as a professional. I have adopted a move with intention persona, giving me the ability to put forth thought, pro activity, and reverence in everything I do.

I have been so fortunate to be a part of true team. One that reflects the true essence of working together for the progression of the collective. As senior member I have privilege of passing the values and objectives introduced to me 4 years ago. It is apparent that seeking like
  more... minded, enthusiastic, creative, with a willingness to learn and grow helps with departmental relations. This energy shows up on a daily basis, whether we are working irregular schedules to accommodate sick time, vacation, or emergency. Completing projects, contributing ideas, and exhibiting true alter-ism for your colleague. My team is consistently complimented on our syngery.

Believe is or not the hardest part of my job is the fact that it is no longer hard. I have been promoted twice and the Associates Manager position was created solely for our departmental advancement. I take great pride in knowing that my personal and professional growth took a substantial leap once I joined Columbia. The positive impact personally is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
working at Columbia University, Lerner Operations Team, job security, fun place to work, students, staff, administration, fast pace, energy
Cons
cost of living in NY, family resides in Dallas
Inspiring collegiate atmosphere with disorganized and disjointed bureaucratic infrastructure
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
Columbia has a growing tendency to combine multiple roles under one (mid-manager) title that make it very difficult to carry out one's functions successfully and efficiently. Job classifications & descriptions appear to be completely arbitrary and all encompassing, thereby compromising the only mechanism for determining the appropriate level of compensation. As an "officer", in addition to special projects that required expertise and strategy, my workday was jam packed with clerical duties. Even though I was technically a manager, I was not granted the authority or resources to delegate.

On the plus side, there are countless opportunities to evolve intellectually and engage in interesting discussions. Tuition is free, though officers have a 2 year waiting period before being allowed to take classes. In my experience, I was so busy putting out fires and dealing with administrative incompetency that I was never able to make time to take a class. To be fair, this does not seem to be the case across the board, as many other employees were successful in doing so. Each department/division varies wildly, it's actually quite astonishing.
Pros
Great benefits, free tuition (eventually), lively and engaging environment
Cons
Disjointed and disorganized administration
Working as a Service Clerk
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2016
* Scanning Medical Records
* Moving and Finding Patience Medicals from room to room
* Saving and editing records
* Bringing positive energy to work
A good assignment
Contract AcIS Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2016
This was a temporary assignment that I had wished would have proceeded longer as this was a great place to work at. Staff was very supportive and I learned new skills.

4.2