Columbia University Employee Reviews

great benefits
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2017
physically and mentally hard work. 3 different shifts. very diverse population of workers. supply uniforms. very strict dress code. great security, on campus.
n/a
Financial Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
Wonderful environment and wonderful people. You will learn a lot from Columbia, where you can take with you while furthering your career, either with Columbia or elsewhere.
You'll work alone
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
You'll most likely be working be working on your own. As a janitor for Columbia you will most likely have several floors to take care of, just focus on your work and good things will happened.
Pros
You'll work alone
Cons
No cons
face paced, heavy work load, great benefits
Account Representative I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2017
Busy face paced environment, great benefits, and overall a pleasant work environment. Management could be better and the staff was good. The hardest part of the job is you did not have support of your superiors and the most enjoyable part of the job was performing my duties and being able to deliver any deadline I was presented with.
Further education
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
Great place to further your education. They do have a two year waiting period but it flies by in no time. I have learned so much just by being in the academic environment.
Learned office responsibilities
Registration Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
My first real office job environment. The admissions office taught me how to be professional and gave me the initiative to want to work for the medical field.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
It was an enjoyable temporary assignment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
The Columbia University has a beautiful and historic campus. I worked with and encountered great people there. This was an excellent temporary assignment.
Pros
A good environment.
Cons
Location.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
- Conducted surveys within the South Bronx to record compliance with housing policies (specifically smoke-free policies)
- Input information into Google Drive in order to save, compare, and use data for further research use
- Management is spotty, does need a lot of help and effort needed to become much more organized in providing shifts & tasks for assistants
- Travel time to residential areas takes up much of the time during research shifts
Good place to work for especially if you want tuition exemption
Administrative Coordinator, Columbia Dental Plan (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2017
I have worked at Columbia University for 30 years. It is a great place to work if you want tuition exemption for yourself or dependents which I have taken advantage for my child.
Pros
Tuition exemption
Cons
No bonuses
Prducitve and fun work place
Event Attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2017
Great place to work. I love my co-workers and boss, I am thankful I experienced this and got the opportunity to work at Columbia. I love it, I love it
Pros
Eat for free and recieve gifts from events
Cons
A good place to build your professional reputation.
Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2017
A good place to build your professional experience, get in touch with the world-lass scientists in many areas of biological research and do interesting and challenging scientific projects.
Not secure though, with relatively low salaries and poor benefits.
Pros
Professional background
Cons
Not secure though, with relatively low salaries and poor benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
Very well structured facility to work at. Awesome atmosphere. The Human Resources Department will work with any problems that may arise.. They are orientated to helping their community(family).
Pros
Free education while employed
Cons
Trains are sometimes delayed causing tardiness.
Laid back but comfortable
Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
A typical day at work consists of running reports, analyzing data and submitting data to appropriate personnel and/or making updates in HRIS system. The hardest part of the job is when you need assistance from IT department.
Pros
Can work remotely
Cons
commute, pay, advancement
The most happiest I have ever being on a job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2017
Columbia University is the most happiest I have ever being on a job. The benefits are great. I was very honored to work for the most awesome supervisors.
Pros
Best Job Security
Cons
absolutely none
Depends on your principle investigator
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2017
Most of a research job here depends on the professor you work under. However, the people are generally very nice and will hang out because they work around the clock.
Fine place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2017
I worked as a teaching assistant. The quality of you experience there is indicative of your immediate company, of which my was great. HR for our department was a mess though.
a really good place to work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2017
My 8 year tenure at Columbia University was one of the best jobs I have ever had. Strong union, good benefits, a great work environment.
I really enjoyed my time there, being able to assist the graduate students.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
demanding managers
Great culture at Columbia
Lead Engineer\Architect IAM (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2017
Many different people to work with giving a good perspective on direction of projects. Management sometimes believe they know more than the people they hired to do the jobs they were hired for.
working with Cancer patients is stressful but very rewarding.
office manager (Former Employee) –  161 Ft. Washington Avenue, NY, NYJuly 21, 2017
My day would start by checking voice messages and emails from patients who either needed to speak or see the doctor and it was always immediately. I had to try to prioritize who sees him first. Then office hours began. I enjoyed meeting patients and their families (if they came with them) Sometimes they were alone and they would sit in my office and talk to me about their fears and their successes. I can't think of one patient I didn't like. Yes, some would drive me crazy but I wasn't working for a dentist - he was a rare cancer specialist.
flexible schedule
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
flexible Schedule for those worker that has kids home to go to. Especially those who are single parents with infant or small children, that needs the maternal and paternal figure in their early life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3