Columbia University

Columbia University Employee Reviews

Depends on the office.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
You get a lot of different experiences here depending on who you are working with. If you get a good office that doesn't mean you will get good workers. BUT if you have a good higher staff that will be an easy fix.
Overall a productive work space
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
A typical day as an Account Specialist at Columbia. I would come in and immediately start to assign invoices. After about two hours of assign invoices accordingly. I would then get to work on the invoices that were assigned to me. Reviewing the invoice. Double checking the accuracy and corresponding with vendors via email and by phone about any discrepancies. I then processed the assigned invoices utilizing processing systems such as ARC, Maximo, and Unifier. I would also receive and distribute checks to the university.
Great tuition benefit
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
If you are going to attend school at Columbia the tuition benefit is great, considering how expensive tuition is. Salaries here are often below what you can get somewhere else but the flexibility made up for it in my opinion.
productiv work place
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
perfects company for workers good management and good benefits,co workers very pleasant good good good good plenty off breaks
Enjoy working here
Assist doctors and nurses (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 24, 2015
Work with a great of people.Room for advancement.Enjoy my hours weekends off. Supervisors easy to talk to.Would reccomend this company to anyone
Professional environment in a fast changing enterprise.
Associate Service Specialist (Former Employee), 612 West 115th StJuly 16, 2015
Working at Columbia University I.T. was a sweet and sour experience. I had the opportunity to meet great people, and also, to have hands-on practice with PBX and VoIP systems. The workload was the hardest part of the job, but at the same time, this is what motivated me and what I enjoyed the most. Management tries to keep up with all the technological needs for the institution.
Great place to work with good people
Research Safety Specialist (Former Employee), NY, NYJuly 16, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Columbia. My colleagues were interesting and respectful, I had the freedom to create my own job activities as I saw fit, the benefits were superb. I did not appreciate an adminsitration that was very top heavy where employees could not provide positive feedback. There was a lot of micro management which ended up being resented.
Comfortable and goo workplace
Associate (Access/Reserve) (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Comfortable work environment, work/life balance
Cons: Low pay, glass ceiling
Low pay and slow advancement. You have to know someone to get an advancement. Management is White and Spanish dominated....
An enjoyable and challenging career opportunity.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 6, 2015
My typical Work Day is enjoyable and challenging. I get along with my co-workers and Management. The hardest part of my Job is being well organized to work with time constraints. The most enjoyable is being very detail oriented.
Great Location
Sterilization Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 24, 2015
Pros: Learn something new.
Cons: Time was short.
I only work there a short time. I work in the lab clearing the glassware. I learn about acid wash and sterilization of glassware for research. I worked alone. The hardest part of the job there was not enough time for the amount of work I had to do. I had to work really fast, and make sure the job was done correct.
Excellent way to gain teaching experience
Guest Lecturer/Teaching assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2015
Wonderful way to involve yourself in the educational and academic world of PT. I have had the pleasure of being a teaching assistant for various classes and labs, as well as being a guest lecture for some individual classes. Excellent experience.
productive and fun workplace
PORTER/HEAVY CLEANER (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 10, 2015
Pros: 40 hours
Cons: working in nasty and infectious environments sometimes
a typical day at work is such a workout, the custodial duties in a day will have you pretty beat however the workplace is fun, the people are nice, the students are nice, the worst part was working in the sun sometimes its too much. However, the checks made it all worth it.
Trying to help homeowners and families in need
Research Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2015
It is an organization that has been helping homeowners and families for 40 years. There are seminars on how to fix home, construction programs for young people, disaster assistance, rental assistance and other unmet needs assistance.
good for those attending school
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 7, 2015
Pros: leave time to study.
Cons: your up through the late night.
It was a good schedule to work. I felt it leaf other chances for school open or other forms of training to take up. The work wasn't at all hard very easy going and for the most productive.
Great working environment and great pay
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee), Broadway, New York, New YorkJune 7, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, exercise, great people
Cons: Long commute to and from work.
I got this job through a temp agency and worked for the standard 4 month period for non-union audio/visual technicians. Each day I would go into the office and get my assignments out of my folder, report to where my assignment was to be held, and do my work. Some days I would set up and run an entire production alone, and then break it down (strike) myself or someone would relieve me. Other days I would work on a team and would communicate via radio for ques on when to do certain things such as dim lights, switch video presentations that were on separate computers, work the EQ and volume for microphones or any audio used for presentations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was producing a good show and hearing the client tell me that he was very happy with how everything I was responsible for went. The hardest part of the job was the commute, otherwise I enjoyed just about all of it. There was a lot of physical labor involved but I just took it as a good workout.
Excellent workplace
Rapporteur (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 1, 2015
My three separate rolls at Columbia University consisted of three work study positions. These were picked on my own and applied for on an individual basis. I worked as an administrative assistant in the music department, a peer tutor for academic services, and a rapporteur (secretary) for the Irish Studies Seminar. I found my coworkers and supervisors to be supporting and friendly, and I learned how to balance my academic life with a personal one. The most enjoyable thing about my jobs were working with people and working with students and alumni on campus.
Good people, dated systems
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits, environment, people
Cons: Beurocratic and political
Extremely bureaucratic, but great benefits, people and work/life balance - comp is OK. Good luck trying to get anything done that is inter-office or inter-departmental. TERRIBLE admin systems.
Great Place to Work.
Manager - Faculty Secretariat (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits and Retirement Plan
Cons: you have to work during the summer
Deal with Students and Faculty. Summer time is slow. Spring and Fall are very busy with class materials and textbook inquiries.
It was professional place but not a team playing organization.
Private Tutor (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 26, 2015
It was an average institution. I did not enjoy working there, especially because it was a very individualistic approach and there was no teamwork at all. people were professional but there was no sense of camaraderie.
Student part-time job - nothing special
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 25, 2015
you get a job based on academic performance. You get direct relationship with the professor which is very special, but won't be helpful for getting a job outside unless you want to get a phd.

1 2 3 4 5

About Columbia University

Founded in 1922, Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health pursues an agenda of research, education, and service to – Read more

Columbia University Salaries