Columbia University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work environment, productive setting
Student Service Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
I was recently employed as a temp in the Student Services department at Columbia Law School. There I was tasked with assisting students and staff with invoice processing, travel arrangements, and reimbursements for school-related expenses. I also assisted one of our Associate Deans with clerkships by corresponding with various SDNY Chambers in order to learn about their clerkship hiring practices and opportunities for our students. Finally, I assist other Managers and Directors with a multitude of administrative duties on an ad hoc basis.
The money made the politics worth it
Administrative Clerk, Department of Medicine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2016
There is an underlying system at work in Columbia University. There are rules that most people don't even know about. The key to succeeding at CU is to know someone/their sister/their aunt, their brother or their dad. Its all about who you know. The people in a position to hire and fire are all looking to hire who they know from their own personal lives. And that kind of sucks.
My supervisor refused to teach me anything new despite requesting more tasks. She insisted she had no time to teach me anything. Then she hired someone she had to teach anyway. It was not okay.
Pros
Conveniently located
Cons
The managerial staff is not very helpful or motivating.
Internal movement very limited
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2016
Check messages to account and prepare for staffing requirements. Operators report to work, turn on system and begin taking calls. I log into system and monitor calls. Check reports and get an idea of what to expect. Prepare several type of reports as required by management. Communicate with operator issues or concerns that come up throughout the day and come up with workable solutions. Feeling that there is something else you can do even when meeting dissatisfied customer needs. Having callers say "Thank You"
Pros
Unlimited Sick days
Cons
internal movement
Working very busy.
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
On a daily basis there are many invoices to be paid. Management dose not give any clues on to deal with union employees. Most co-workers are very friendly and are willingly to help. The hardest part of the job is how to deal with union employees who are not performing well. The most enjoyable part of the job is their benefits. Good medical programs and of course free tuition.
I prefer to keep my opinion confidential.
Clerical/Bibliographic Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
At Columbia University there are a lot of Holidays and Vacation days.
I can not be completely objective because I am still working there.
Pros
It is a long commute from home to the office.
Cons
The average worker received at least 3 weeks vacation.
Academia remains predictable but pleasing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Work often fluctuates with the schoo lyear and works agonistic to the students schedules so during heavy academic periods depending on what the position you have you may either have less or more work depending on homw many students need you or if your work impacts or is more impacted by the students' lives or work.

The advantages of being on campus beyond being around others as they are learning.
Most work especially reasearching has a a bit of cushines that allows one to ake the intellectual risks needed to make good work thus maing the administrators the great thorn in the side of the researchers as they are the limiting factor to the all consuming academic drive.
Pros
Food every where, general air of comfort among employess
Cons
Frantic self importantant students, bureaucracy
Rewarding place where to work
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
My experience at Columbia has been extremely rewarding up to this point, especially thanks to my advisor, who is approachable and allows you to have a flexible schedule, as long as you meet expected levels of productivity.
Pros
Flexibility
A real grindhouse
Assistant Director of Athletics Communications (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2015
I work in athletics, which at times is 7 days a week, 10-14 hours a day. It's a grind, and kind of a mess. I have definitely learned how to take initiative if nothing else, partially due to the fact that if I hadn't, nothing would be accomplished. New tasks and responsibilities that I had not originally been assigned to me are created on a weekly basis. If you want to have a significant other, family, extra money in your bank account or social life, go do anything else.
Pros
I don't spend all my money doing fun things because I have no time to
Cons
Read the above review
Most Enjoyable part of the Job
Reservation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job here at Columbia is being a part of a great team. All departments working together to ensure a great outcome of an event. Also the skills and relationships learned and built in my time here at Columbia University.
Extremely demanding and engaging
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Great opportunity to learn - worked with world renowned academic and researcher, Saskia Sassen and developed essential critical writing and analysis skills from her course on Global Urbanism
Excellent University Work Environment
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
Excellent Job/Position. I worked actively with numerous students and faculty at Hospitals. I Undertook Extensive Research.
Pros
Provided Financial Funding
Cons
None. Everything was Excellent.
Management has potential
Administrative Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Management has potential to excel their employees by enrolling in leadership courses and training. There is an over load of work without any compensation.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
overload of work with no compensation
good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
very nice faculty, friendly environment. work load depend on different courses, get salary biweekly, but in our department, the paycheck get messed up sometime, but after you tell them, they will fix it quickly
Productive, easy going, fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Assisted customer either by telephone, electronically or face to face. Provided assistance for students and staff. Respond promptly to students inquiries. Provide pricing and delivery information, Student verification's, Set up new student accounts. Keep records of student interactions and transactions. Record details of inquiries, comments and complaints. Handle and resolve customer complaints. Prepare and distribute student activity reports.
Pros
Fun working area, meeting new people from around the world.
Student in Sustainability Management
Sustainability Management Graduate Thesis (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2015
Columbia University's Sustainability Management Program offers students the chance to learn the latest practices in sustainable resources, marketing and finance. After attending school here, I am able to understand complex topics such as marketing strategy, cost benefit analysis, green accounting and statistical analysis.
Pros
Excellent training Program
Cons
Long Hours
good place to work at
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2016
The staff and management are very professional and nice to their employees. Very organized setting with not too many setbacks
Pros
work in a hospital setting
Cons
Alot of work
Loved this job, as it talk differential diagnosis interviewing, which typically clinical psychologists don't get well training; psychiatrist's do
Interviewer and Top Diagnostician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 3, 2015
Again, it was a life altering experience. I interviewed a different groups of people (diversity of race, class, ages) for several years. It was a research study being done at Columbia University, and I was kept blind of the hypotheses. Thus, it was high-quality research. I had a great deal of respect for it. I loved what I did.
Pros
I enjoyed my boss, my coworkers and all that I learned that made me a better clinician.
Cons
It would be driving all over the five boroughs for the interviews. Many hours in the NYC area
A good assignment
Contract AcIS Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2016
This was a temporary assignment that I had wished would have proceeded longer as this was a great place to work at. Staff was very supportive and I learned new skills.
Review
business manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2015
I worked as a Business Manager there and these were my job duties (which were changed after getting the job): process international checks for domestic exchange; process rejected checks and credit cards; type and send notification letters to parents, students, and companies; file records, etc. Doesn't that sound more like what an administrative assistant would do?! I wasted a lot of time going through the interview process for a job that turned out to be not what it was portrayed to be.

This is a much better job: http://PayTaski.com/?ref=39035
Nice Job
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Good place to work and provided stable income. In addition, tuition benefit is a perk as well. So go for it if you want to experience it.
Pros
Nice staff, nice offices, good benefits
Cons
The location is pretty inconvenient

4.2