Columbia University Employee Reviews

Good.
Note Taker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2017
I went to class everyday and took notes and then I scanned those notes and then I emailed to the disabled student. It was probably the easiest job in the whole world.
Excellent opportunity for learning and growth
Senior Research Assistant to Professors (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2017
Truly inspiring and demanding positions with the University gave me the opportunity to take on new responsibilities and participate in knowledge production. Administrative experience added to my skillset.
Every day is an adventure, there is always something new to handle.
Director of Benefits (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2017
There is not typical day. Each day is an adventure with new things to handle. The people I work with closely are dedicated to assisting our employees with their benefits issues.
Highest Caliber Students
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2017
The bisotatistics department at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia is extremely challenging. The professors are bright and the caliber of student is very high.
Diverse and Competitive
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
Columbia University provides students with world-class study experiences. The community is made of people from all over the world. You can always meet talented people and learn from them.
"The Faculty House" - Temp Chef de Cuisine (Former Employee) –  Faculty HouseApril 18, 2017
Family operation! Family team.
Great environment
Clean
Staff is proud to work there
Reviewed daily business
Checked prep lists
Received staff
Received goods for events
Made schedules
Put out events worked hands I. Hand with team
Pros
Diverse business
Cons
Capacity of the faculty house.
friendly atmosphere and chance to interact with students
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
a food chance to help students achieve their goals in education for the future. Gave me a chance to examine my goals and future plans for college. Days were busy but the conversation and bonding with students was invaluable as I was seeking out my plans for a career.Management was amenable to interaction. The hardest part was all the paper work but it was enjoyable to help students move on in life.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
no health care
Good place to work at
Senior Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
Flexible schedule and good benefits. Work life balance, great staff, and a good learning experience. Location is not so great, but overall its a key to work in this industry.
great for your CV and benefit as health insurance
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
not a great place to work at, great for your cv and benefit but all the rest, including salary and culture are as negative as they can be.
very competitive, requires long hours of work
Great place to work!
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2017
Be ready for a fast paced environment as well as multiple opportunities for advancement. If you have the drive to be successful in your profession than here is an awesome place to start!
Pros
Great culture!
Cons
Only con for me was the commute.
Demanding job with good pay
Administrative Manager, Department Administrator (Former Employee) –  168th St and Fort Washington, NYC, NYApril 7, 2017
As befits a top-tier University, the faculty for whom I was Senior Administrator were extremely capable. It was my job to supervise a staff of at least 3 clerical workers and a Budget Administrator, make sure that faculty grants were correctly formatted and sent out on time, to attend to the travel schedule of faculty members and especially of the Department Chair who travelled a lot, to organize Friday seminars, faculty retreats in the NYC area, and to accompany the various faculty members when groups travelled to scientific and medical meetings within driving distance of NYC. It was also part of my job to hire and fire office personnel. In all the 12 years of my administrative experience, I only had to fire one individual; this was made difficult because of the Union structure at Columbia, but I learned how to do it successfully. On the other hand, I hired over 10 staff members, and am still good friends with two. I loved this job and only retired when my life partner began to experience medical difficulties.
Pros
First-class minds to interact with
Cons
At my level, not many
Excellent place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2017
Interesting research areas and since it is a University there are a lot of bright students to work with. The most enjoyable part of the work is that science can be done here with some of the smartest people in the country
good experience
Manager Research coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2017
I was working at Columbia for 12 years. Everyday I did learn something new and improve my knowledge, skills, and also grew up as a person and be recognize from other organizations.
Pros
good times
Cons
good benefit
Fun
Teachers Assisant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2017
A progressive approach for learning. Fun staff and great kids. The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom to take the children on nature walks in Riverside Park.
Cons
Short Breaks
A good place to start or finish
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
Columbia University is a good place to start your career or a place where you have 10 years left to retire. Columbia has many different departments and campus' with each having a unique culture.
Pros
four weeks vacation
Cons
have to work 2 years before taking classes 4 before dependants can take classes, some department heads have no experience in organizational behavior, some human resources departments are ineffective
Research Job at Columbia University- SIPA
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2017
Challenging research work.
Fast-paced and multitasking.
Perfect place to expand your quantitative and qualitative skills.

The hardest part of the job is definitely developing the capability of managing the workload and multitasking in order to execute effectively and on time.
Professional Workplace
Cashier/Student Financial Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2017
Wonderful department to work in and staff members were extremely knowledgeable and helpful the entire time. All staff members would work as a team and assist each other when needed.
Pros
Team work, great manager, excellent hours
Cons
High volume of students at times
Great place to build.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Campus ServicesMarch 20, 2017
Excellent education benefits. Non-profit aspect makes culture slow. If one is willing to put in time to take advantage of education benefits the effect of a lower salary (compared to the private sector) can be offset.
Flexible schedule as an online live support specialist
Online Live Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2017
Excellent management and administrative staff. There is room for advancement and training support is ongoing. Hours are flexible and LSS is able to work from anywhere.
Alot of hours and hard work but very satisfying work
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2017
Working at Columbia was a great but very tiring experience. A lot of hard work and a lot of hours were put into this job for very little thank. New York City provided to be the biggest challenge of this job for me as I am not a big city type of person who needs a slower pace and alone time to recharge. Not being able to get this in the small amount of time away from work I very quickly burned out here. I loved my coworkers and the office.
Pros
free gear, division 1 athletes, travel, great healthcare
Cons
no time off, poor work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2