Columbia University Employee Reviews

Quite workplace, friendly tenants
Doorman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
Typical day focused on cleaning the lobby areas, getting the door for tenants and handling packages delivered. I learned a lot in the way of time management regarding cleaning and package delivery. Management was never on-site but easily accessed in times of need.

Hardest part of the job had to be the occasional garbage duty, tending to any spills and whatnot if bags had broken. Enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the tenants upon arrival, made for good conversation especially on particularly quite days.
Pros
Time management
Cons
Temporary work, no healthcare or advancement
Best Place to Work
Accounts Payable Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
I've learned a great deal with this organization. I came in as a temporary employee and obtained permanent employment within a short window of time. The work environment is low key and management is easy to talk to.
productive place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2017
The most gratifying part of the job is to know that we are helping patients and their families. I have been lucky to work with individuals that truly care about others and understand the important to having communication and respect. The work environment has been lovely as a result of the communication that we all have with each other.
A good mix of clinical, research and teaching activites
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2017
As this was teaching in a professional school, there was really no "typical" day. Interacting with faculty, students, patients and staff was both interesting and enjoyable.
First time Coding radiology claims. Worked my way up to be one of the main coders in the billing department.
Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Started as a temp and was later hired full time as a coder. Enjoyed the pace and gained extensive radiology coding knowledge. Was trained by the lead coder and in a short time was training temp agency coders. Benefits were great along with the pay at that time for coders. Great managers and supervisors.
Pros
Major Hospital great place to work, never had to leave for anything. Most of what you needed was under one roof.
Cons
Long Subway ride from my house. Sometimes I had to leave upwards of one hour to avoid train delays.
Positive, Productive, Proactive and Enjoyable.
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2017
Energy is great on campus, co workers are very productive,positive and helpful. Columbia's culture is great, everyone treated me like family. What i learned most in Columbia is detail cleaning and dusting.
large scale university, room for growth
Senior Research Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2017
High pace work environment, little time to socialize, multicultural, nearby subway stations need cleanliness, more security, must be hard worker, team player is a must,
Pros
large campus, great hospital and clinics
Cons
neighborhood, subway stations need improvement
An Experience to Last a Lifetime
PM (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2017
Columbia University is a different experience for everyone, but within my field and industry it is nonstop work, politics, and culture. Attempting to find a work life balance if the most difficult thing. However, doing it for the students and seeing artistic works come to life pays off in the long run
Great place to learn a lot
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
I've learned a lot and the higher-ups in the lab have been very patient and constructive. The only negative is there is an implicit expectation to work late.
Great Institution to work for
HVAC / PM Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
Columbia is a very prestigious Ivy League School, with a great culture and environment. All employees were great to work with including upper management and others.
Great learning experience
Researcher/Lecturer/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2017
Great learning experience. Working at Columbia University was an honor and it was a privilege to meet the distinguished professionals who work there. It was a true learning experience and I am grateful for the opportunity.
Columbia
Program Coordinator New Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2017
My typical day at Columbia was fast paced and I had a variety of responsibilities.

However, the staff truly cared about working as a team. My boss (and other higher-ups) were always willing take the time to address any questions or concerns.

I was given many opportunities to further my career. I had to be sharp and on top of projects at all times. However, most of my efforts were noticed.
Poor upper management - Morning Side campus facilities office
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYMay 15, 2017
No support from upper managements and quick to throw Project Manager " under the bus " by Assistant Director. Difficult working environments and no " on board" training for new hired.
Challening but rewarding
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2017
This is a great place to work, with a lot of support and your colleagues are great. The workload can be massive at time, but you can preserver. And the reward is great.
Columbia University Press Great Job
Administrative Assistant and Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NYMay 11, 2017
Productive and busy place to work. I worked on my own with no supervision. The most enjoyable part of the job was the complete job. I really enjoyed what I was doing. I established a department on my own called Subscriptions.
Pros
Fun talking with co-workers
Cons
No Breaks
Love my Job
Senior Technical Infrastructure Operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2017
I am a hard-working professional who has been consistently over the course of my 37-year career, I like my Job, when, Job place is peaceful and quiet on normal days

Pros
Proud of what i'm doing
Cons
things are ok
skills level was decreasing from lack of use
Administrative Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2017
typical day is not getting 1 item done on your to do list due to constant interruptions and add ons. there is no real structure just a list of processes and antiquated systems that makes the day to day tasks more burdensome than they needed to be
Pros
free pizza every Friday
Cons
chaotic environment and antiquated ways of getting things done
fine place to work
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2017
Good place to work. Definitely could do worse. Nice location in Morningside Heights. I enjoy walking to work. Lots of vacation time. People seem pretty cool.
Good.
Note Taker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2017
I went to class everyday and took notes and then I scanned those notes and then I emailed to the disabled student. It was probably the easiest job in the whole world.
Excellent opportunity for learning and growth
Senior Research Assistant to Professors (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2017
Truly inspiring and demanding positions with the University gave me the opportunity to take on new responsibilities and participate in knowledge production. Administrative experience added to my skillset.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2