Columbia University Employee Reviews

Ivy League University with young and advanced minds as well as diverse and awesome instructors
Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2016
School work could be stressful, but opportunities are enormous. In a highly competitive place, everybody has the passion and energy to work hard on their individual goals. Instructors have different backgrounds: scholars, engineers, actuaries, businessmen etc. Career fair is a big advantage because networking is easier at NYC.

High grades are challenging to get because of competitions and high level brain powers, which also makes life more enjoyable.
Pros
Networking, Resources, Education, Academic Environment
Cons
Food
Great Benefits, Bad Atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYJuly 19, 2016
Disclaimer: Columbia University is a big place with many different schools and offices. I cannot speak for every school and office in the university, only for the one where I worked.

When I first started to work at Columbia, the school where I was working was a great place to work. I was treated well, and was made to feel valued and appreciated.

As time went on, things changed, and the atmosphere of the workplace became very toxic, and it became difficult to work there. Employees were treated poorly, and the management gave us no encouragement, help or appreciation. Employees became ill from the stress.

My co-workers were, for the most part, helpful and nice. The students were also polite, friendly and thankful for whatever help we gave them. I had a good rapport, also, with faculty members. Management was another story.

Columbia offers very good benefits, which almost made the awful workplace atmosphere bearable.
Pros
Good benefits, including generous vacation allowance and free tuition
Cons
Office politics, unnecessary stress, harassment
Administration is failed
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2016
In the Administrative areas, (HR, Finance, etc.) you will work well over 40 - 50 hours per week, take work home and work on weekends. Certain departments are understaffed to support a large School population.
I learned that the onboarding is non-existent and there is no real attempt to integrate new employees into the diverse and distinct culture.
Management are hired based on connections and sometimes do not have sufficient credentials for a senior level position. There is a lack of collegiality, support and development of staff. There is virtually no performance review process (not mandatory and not recommended or encouraged throughout the entire organization)
Highly decentralized organization much to the detriment of policy, procedures and benefits to staff. No consistency in policy and procedure.
The hardest part was finding policy for case specific circumstances and no consistency in information and policy provided by central office. Lack of clarity in policy and a severe findability and search capability for main website.
The most enjoyable was the campus and academic population.
Pros
Great location, academics and academic staff
Cons
Poor leadership in administration and lack of collegiality, development and onboarding of staff.
Great Place to Work for IT
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Columbia benefits and support from HR has been the best I've ever worked at. They do put their employees first.
Working in IT has a ton of benefits with hours and great management.
The people who work at Columbia are the nicest and most helpful. Many people have worked at Columbia for over 20 years.
Pros
Great benefits, great management, great vacation and time off
Cons
Salary isn't as competitive
Huge Environment
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2016
Providing assistance for staff, students and etc.

Secures premises and personnel by patrolling property; monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points; permitting entry.

Completes memo log reports by recording observations, information, occurrences, and surveillance activities.

Great teamwork among co - workers and management especially if your are new.
Pros
Great benefits and starting salary for a security officer.
Cons
Unpaid 30 min meal breaks
An outstanding working environment
Coordinator-Special Projects/Faculty Membe (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2016
My responsibilities entailed office management over two separate offices, one on campus, the other at the College of Physicians and Surgeons (part of CU).

I handled routine payroll and benefits for all staff, served on the university's budget committee, met with outside corporations to engage in obtaining contracts of research with their scientists and our own in all university divisions, and development venture capitol relationships within the United States and Japan.

I learned how to comfortably present our university and department's missions to pursue inventions, medical procedures and medications that will benefit the whole of society.

My co-workers were brilliant, and supportive.

Commuting was the most difficult part of my post. I didn't like riding subways, so I drove my car throughout the city, which could be difficult when searching for a parking place.

Being a member of the faculty, and a part of the Biosphere, medical, computer technology, green energy, and venture capitol development in the sciences and biotechnology was stimulating and ever so rewarding.
Pros
Serving on the faculty of Columbia University
Cons
Finding parking spots
Good Place to Work
Assistant Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2016
It is a good place to work, but the culture is extremely outdated. Don't plan on making changes. Workday is typical, but they usually expect OT at all levels (no OT compensation except union employees).
okay place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
CUMC has good benefits for children and advancing education. Their work/life balance is okay depending on the manager. I have been here for over a decade and its okay place to work if you have a family. for singles, I would continue to look elsewhere and grow somewhere else.
Great career development for employees
Director of Campus Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
work at Columbia for 13 years and I was supported and groomed from an entry level manager to a senior staff.
I worked very hard like everywhere else but i felt appreciated and rewarded for my hard work.
Pros
Great career development
Cons
no good work life balance
Extraordinary place to work.
Public Affairs Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2016
A brainy, sophisticated and life-changing environment for anyone who values intelligence and wisdom on the job- a rare commodity in most employment.
Pros
People at Columbia value smarts, top notch thinking and reward excellence
Cons
The politics can be fierce but if you aren't put off by that it's a very special place to work.
Exciting Student on Campus Job
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2016
Working at the university gym, I was able to meet other students and school faculty and so advance my communication and customer service kills.

Hardest part of the job can be the hours as sometimes I pull 10-12 hour shifts and sometimes I open at 6AM or I close at midnight.

Best part of the job is definitely the people I work with. They are all amazing. Many are in their mid 20s some are 19 and some of the administrative staff are in their 30s but overall everyone blends into a good pot of friendly hard working people.
Pros
Work at the gym so working out after work is possible.
Cons
Salary
A great workplace to be!
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
It is an absolute pleasure and honour having worked for one of the most prestigious public health schools. The dynamic was great and offered a lot of varieties in terms of cultures, people, as well as fruitful discussions among colleagues. Plus. there is a lot of great oppertunities to attend conferences and meet many well-known speakers around the world in the public health fields as well!
Underpaid, No advancement
Member (Current Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYOctober 12, 2016
Good luck ever moving up the chain here, management is slow and this place is filled with red tape. Also don't even think you're going to be paid close to market rate. Columbia is as cheap as they come. Management isn't concerned about your professional development, and they lack the basics like free coffee, and many offices don't even have windows. Run.
Great diversity of teaching in classes; students don't progress.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 19, 2016
While attending classes, I've taught at the University in many venues. This review pertains to the non-profit, Community Impacts classes. While i feel it is a necessary extension of CU into the nearby under served, under educated neighborhoods, it doesn't take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that the faculty has for advancing those that attend. I was able to learn and take much from my professors and bring it into the classroom setting to move students along to GED/TASC passing and into college but that wasn't a standard practice.
Pros
Great access to the best minds
Cons
Non-profit arm lacks commitment to student/client enhancement.
Administrator
CTO Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2016
Clinical Trials Office Administrator responsible for the negotiation of clinical trials agreements.
Works with the Contracts Team at the Clinical Trials Office. Responsible for several tasks along the routing process of a Clinical Trial Submissions as well as Amendments, Confidential Disclosure Agreements, and Master Agreements received through the CTO Website and/or via email.
Communicates efficiently with PI/Co-investigators and Study Coordinators to ensure that information is filed appropriately before dossiers are delegated for negotiation to legal and/or budget reviewers. Follows up with appropriate approving parties at NYPH and Cornell in order to retrieve agreements in a timely fashion.
Follows up on Study Protocol CUIRB approvals. Responsible for filing NGS Medicare approval for device study trials. Ensures that study trials sent for review are consistent with the pertinent guidelines from WIRB/CUIRB, FDA, OIG, CMS, OHRP, DHHS.
Pros
Non profit
clear org structure
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2016
columbia university as a employer is very well structured. they have good employee benifits. the compensation is ok, but the benifit to workers is great, especially for full tie fauculty.
awful place
Pantry (runner) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10027September 17, 2016
the staff consist of people who lack respect and decency to communicate effectively with their peers. management will side with union employees based on seniority. work effort means nothing here.
Pros
pay and union
Cons
to much work for little pay
Professional, yet inviting.
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2016
The staff at Columbia University, School of the Arts does not receive enough credit for the work they do. I have learned so much from countless different staff members, most of whom would go out of their way to assist me. The management is very understanding; things in my personal life had been very hectic, yet my supervisor was very cooperative and flexible with my schedule.

The only reason I am leaving Columbia is because I was hired through a temp agency. But I've greatly enjoyed my time there and have learned a lot!
My Columbia University Experience
Associate Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
New York year round is constant. This week 5/10/16 is reading and exam week for our student body, which means my building (the student center) remains open for 24 hours annually to accommodate study time. As operations managers we are required to be present during open building hours. I am currently working 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM, waking up at 3:30 AM and bed by 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM. On a normal schedule I open the building and set pace for the oncoming day. I unlock all accessible points of access, walk the building for any facilities or maintenance concerns from tenants, staff, and students. Start the daily status report, update data files, schedule employees for shifts, open/ tracking work orders for building operational concerns, project and construction management. I wear many hats in my position. I serve as a liaison between our building tenants, camps/ building facilities, Public Safety, executive administration, and most importantly the students.

One significant factor about Columbia in the city of New York is the culture. With a rich and robust history that spans over 100 years, learning to embrace my talents and polished me as a professional. I have adopted a move with intention persona, giving me the ability to put forth thought, pro activity, and reverence in everything I do.

I have been so fortunate to be a part of true team. One that reflects the true essence of working together for the progression of the collective. As senior member I have privilege of passing the values and objectives introduced to me 4 years ago. It is apparent that seeking like
  more... minded, enthusiastic, creative, with a willingness to learn and grow helps with departmental relations. This energy shows up on a daily basis, whether we are working irregular schedules to accommodate sick time, vacation, or emergency. Completing projects, contributing ideas, and exhibiting true alter-ism for your colleague. My team is consistently complimented on our syngery.

Believe is or not the hardest part of my job is the fact that it is no longer hard. I have been promoted twice and the Associates Manager position was created solely for our departmental advancement. I take great pride in knowing that my personal and professional growth took a substantial leap once I joined Columbia. The positive impact personally is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
working at Columbia University, Lerner Operations Team, job security, fun place to work, students, staff, administration, fast pace, energy
Cons
cost of living in NY, family resides in Dallas
Internal movement very limited
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2016
Check messages to account and prepare for staffing requirements. Operators report to work, turn on system and begin taking calls. I log into system and monitor calls. Check reports and get an idea of what to expect. Prepare several type of reports as required by management. Communicate with operator issues or concerns that come up throughout the day and come up with workable solutions. Feeling that there is something else you can do even when meeting dissatisfied customer needs. Having callers say "Thank You"
Pros
Unlimited Sick days
Cons
internal movement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2