Columbia University Employee Reviews

not great management/organization/communication
Dental Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2017
not great management/organization/communication. needs better structure and guidance. better support of staff members. needs to provide proper training and managers on the floor to assist with patient comlaints
Great work environment
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
Columbia Genome Center was a great lab to work at, collaborate with others, cutting edge research and great mentoring.
It is part of the university and thus you get good health benefits and life insurance.
Pros
collaborations and mentoring
Cons
low pay
Fun
Cashier/Barista/Porter (Current Employee) –  116th BroadwayJune 18, 2017
Its a fun palace to work at. Beer had any bad situations while working there. I love the work place. I love the employees and mangers. Transportation is cool also.
Good learning experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2017
Professor was very supportive and knowledgeable in mentoring students on research. I was offered great opportunities to apply my undergraduate studies to practical uses.
Just my school
Computational Finance Application (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
I am just a student in Columbia University and all my work there are based on my course study. It is always a wonderful place for anyone from anywhere in this world to study in Columbia. You can meet every talented people and broaden your horizon.
productive workplace
Department of dermatology-Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
sincere work environment with tremendously knowledgeable peers who were willing to help in every possible way. learned the advanced research techniques used in cancer research.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
compensation benefits
Student
Medical Assistant to Dermatologist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2017
Post-Baccalaureate Premedical student 2002-2004. Prior to undergoing a career in medicine, I studied at Columbia as as undergraduate student from 1996-2000, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature.
Great opportunities for students
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
While at Columbia, I was able to get real research experience that helped prepare me for a career in academia. I would recommend this institution both educationally and for work.
Supportive leadership and coworkers
Research Assistant, Higgin's Social Cognition Lab (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
Excellent culture of acceptance and support. Can be competitive at times but not a hostile environment as some other places may be. Greatly enjoyed time and experience here.
A wonderful insight into the Global Job Market
Human Resources (Intern) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
Ensuring foreign professors, professors on Sabatical, and staff onsight received all support necessary, enabling Columbia Universtity students receive a top notch education from it's Law Dept.
Easy work for students
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2017
Public Safety was fine for current undergraduate students of Columbia University. Decent pay and you more or less get to choose your own hours. Paid training,
Quite workplace, friendly tenants
Doorman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
Typical day focused on cleaning the lobby areas, getting the door for tenants and handling packages delivered. I learned a lot in the way of time management regarding cleaning and package delivery. Management was never on-site but easily accessed in times of need.

Hardest part of the job had to be the occasional garbage duty, tending to any spills and whatnot if bags had broken. Enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the tenants upon arrival, made for good conversation especially on particularly quite days.
Pros
Time management
Cons
Temporary work, no healthcare or advancement
Best Place to Work
Accounts Payable Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
I've learned a great deal with this organization. I came in as a temporary employee and obtained permanent employment within a short window of time. The work environment is low key and management is easy to talk to.
productive place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2017
The most gratifying part of the job is to know that we are helping patients and their families. I have been lucky to work with individuals that truly care about others and understand the important to having communication and respect. The work environment has been lovely as a result of the communication that we all have with each other.
A good mix of clinical, research and teaching activites
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2017
As this was teaching in a professional school, there was really no "typical" day. Interacting with faculty, students, patients and staff was both interesting and enjoyable.
First time Coding radiology claims. Worked my way up to be one of the main coders in the billing department.
Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Started as a temp and was later hired full time as a coder. Enjoyed the pace and gained extensive radiology coding knowledge. Was trained by the lead coder and in a short time was training temp agency coders. Benefits were great along with the pay at that time for coders. Great managers and supervisors.
Pros
Major Hospital great place to work, never had to leave for anything. Most of what you needed was under one roof.
Cons
Long Subway ride from my house. Sometimes I had to leave upwards of one hour to avoid train delays.
Positive, Productive, Proactive and Enjoyable.
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2017
Energy is great on campus, co workers are very productive,positive and helpful. Columbia's culture is great, everyone treated me like family. What i learned most in Columbia is detail cleaning and dusting.
large scale university, room for growth
Senior Research Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2017
High pace work environment, little time to socialize, multicultural, nearby subway stations need cleanliness, more security, must be hard worker, team player is a must,
Pros
large campus, great hospital and clinics
Cons
neighborhood, subway stations need improvement
An Experience to Last a Lifetime
PM (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2017
Columbia University is a different experience for everyone, but within my field and industry it is nonstop work, politics, and culture. Attempting to find a work life balance if the most difficult thing. However, doing it for the students and seeing artistic works come to life pays off in the long run
Great place to learn a lot
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
I've learned a lot and the higher-ups in the lab have been very patient and constructive. The only negative is there is an implicit expectation to work late.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3