Columbia University Employee Reviews

Tyical position in higher education
Office Manager (Current Employee), 722 W 168th StreetAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Able to take direction from my surpversior and get my work done without being micromanaged
Cons: No room for advancement
A typical day at work includes; taking care of my administrative and financial duties, over see the website, and make sure that I am on top of several grant related activities.
Great job in a respected department
Senior Research Coordinator (Former Employee), New York CityAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Fair compensation and benefits offered.
Cons: Siloistic mentality throughout system
Great environment if you hare in the "right" department. Advancement opportunities if you know where to look. Fair compensation and benefits offered.
Fast pace work environment.
Senior Retirement Administration Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2015
Working at Columbia University you must have the ability to multitask your work assignments. The management style there is pretty much, do what you have to do to get it done. You are pretty much allowed to manage your time. Prioritizing is key to your success at Columbia University.
Fairly busy office with a great group of people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Lamont Doherty Earth ObservatoryAugust 18, 2015
Pros: The people were great, the location was beautiful.
Cons: That our program lost it's grant funding
Great place to work, so much to see there, a truly preserved piece of land donated to Columbia University to study our Earth. Management was one of the greatest I worked for, such a amazing group of people. I've never had an experience like this anywhere and I was very lucky to have been able experience and learn what I did in this special place. The hardest part of that job was leaving it.
Very Productive and fun work space
Youth Program Coordinator/ Lead Youth Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: Program Defunct
Developed and implemented a curriculum that engaged youth in age-appropriate activities including community service, non-violent conflict resolution, youth entrepreneurship, career and college awareness and guidance.
Major educational institution with attractive benefits
Director of Web & EDM Services / Main Campus (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
Strong work teams and a great variety of work assignments. The University offers benefits including education reimbursement.
Good employer
Ritt Assistant Professor, Mathematics (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
No hassles, great academic freedom, stimulating faculty. The faculty and staff housing offers can make a huge difference if you are moving into the tri-state area.
Great job for anyone who doesn't mind the commute
Medical Student Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
Great job for anyone who doesn't mind the commute. Heavy traffic and delays in the mornings and evenings. Also, be sure to inquire about parking facilities. Give yourself lots of time to get to and from work every day.
Columbia University
Egg Donor Program Manager (Current Employee), 1790 Broadway NY, NYAugust 4, 2015
Overall a great place to work. Good benefits and a fast-paced environment. Close contact with patients and a true multidisciplinary team.
Depends on the office.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
You get a lot of different experiences here depending on who you are working with. If you get a good office that doesn't mean you will get good workers. BUT if you have a good higher staff that will be an easy fix.
Great tuition benefit
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
If you are going to attend school at Columbia the tuition benefit is great, considering how expensive tuition is. Salaries here are often below what you can get somewhere else but the flexibility made up for it in my opinion.
productiv work place
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
perfects company for workers good management and good benefits,co workers very pleasant good good good good plenty off breaks
Enjoy working here
Assist doctors and nurses (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 24, 2015
Work with a great of people.Room for advancement.Enjoy my hours weekends off. Supervisors easy to talk to.Would reccomend this company to anyone
Professional environment in a fast changing enterprise.
Associate Service Specialist (Former Employee), 612 West 115th StJuly 16, 2015
Working at Columbia University I.T. was a sweet and sour experience. I had the opportunity to meet great people, and also, to have hands-on practice with PBX and VoIP systems. The workload was the hardest part of the job, but at the same time, this is what motivated me and what I enjoyed the most. Management tries to keep up with all the technological needs for the institution.
Great place to work with good people
Research Safety Specialist (Former Employee), NY, NYJuly 16, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Columbia. My colleagues were interesting and respectful, I had the freedom to create my own job activities as I saw fit, the benefits were superb. I did not appreciate an adminsitration that was very top heavy where employees could not provide positive feedback. There was a lot of micro management which ended up being resented.
Comfortable and goo workplace
Associate (Access/Reserve) (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Comfortable work environment, work/life balance
Cons: Low pay, glass ceiling
Low pay and slow advancement. You have to know someone to get an advancement. Management is White and Spanish dominated....
An enjoyable and challenging career opportunity.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 6, 2015
My typical Work Day is enjoyable and challenging. I get along with my co-workers and Management. The hardest part of my Job is being well organized to work with time constraints. The most enjoyable is being very detail oriented.
Great Location
Sterilization Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 24, 2015
Pros: Learn something new.
Cons: Time was short.
I only work there a short time. I work in the lab clearing the glassware. I learn about acid wash and sterilization of glassware for research. I worked alone. The hardest part of the job there was not enough time for the amount of work I had to do. I had to work really fast, and make sure the job was done correct.
Excellent way to gain teaching experience
Guest Lecturer/Teaching assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2015
Wonderful way to involve yourself in the educational and academic world of PT. I have had the pleasure of being a teaching assistant for various classes and labs, as well as being a guest lecture for some individual classes. Excellent experience.
productive and fun workplace
PORTER/HEAVY CLEANER (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 10, 2015
Pros: 40 hours
Cons: working in nasty and infectious environments sometimes
a typical day at work is such a workout, the custodial duties in a day will have you pretty beat however the workplace is fun, the people are nice, the students are nice, the worst part was working in the sun sometimes its too much. However, the checks made it all worth it.