Columbia University Employee Reviews in United States

Huge environment
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  116th St and BroadwayAugust 14, 2016
As a public safety officer at Columbia University... I provide customer service support..

Allowed access control via Identification

Vertical Campus Patrolling

Detex Rounds

Report Writing

The officers and supervisors and other departments are very friendly.. Very huge environment.. Can be overwhelming at first but you get eventually get the hang of it... Very hard to get into.. Took me five years to get here.. Finally a relief.
Pros
Great starting salary for a security officer You get to attend Columbia University, Barnard College and Teachers College for free as an employee, Benefits package. Weekly Paid every Friday
Cons
N/A
Fun work environment, productive setting
Student Service Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
I was recently employed as a temp in the Student Services department at Columbia Law School. There I was tasked with assisting students and staff with invoice processing, travel arrangements, and reimbursements for school-related expenses. I also assisted one of our Associate Deans with clerkships by corresponding with various SDNY Chambers in order to learn about their clerkship hiring practices and opportunities for our students. Finally, I assist other Managers and Directors with a multitude of administrative duties on an ad hoc basis.
Great Place to Work for IT
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Columbia benefits and support from HR has been the best I've ever worked at. They do put their employees first.
Working in IT has a ton of benefits with hours and great management.
The people who work at Columbia are the nicest and most helpful. Many people have worked at Columbia for over 20 years.
Pros
Great benefits, great management, great vacation and time off
Cons
Salary isn't as competitive
Nice place to work in an academic environment. A lot of opportunities to learn and explore new database or technology.
Research and Collection Development Librarian (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2016
The peak time is quiet busy. Learned lot by providing instruction sessions. The co-workers are very cooperative and committee work always fun to work
Pros
Academic environment, good benifit, in NY city
Cons
never clos even in winter storm when city is close
The money made the politics worth it
Administrative Clerk, Department of Medicine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2016
There is an underlying system at work in Columbia University. There are rules that most people don't even know about. The key to succeeding at CU is to know someone/their sister/their aunt, their brother or their dad. Its all about who you know. The people in a position to hire and fire are all looking to hire who they know from their own personal lives. And that kind of sucks.
My supervisor refused to teach me anything new despite requesting more tasks. She insisted she had no time to teach me anything. Then she hired someone she had to teach anyway. It was not okay.
Pros
Conveniently located
Cons
The managerial staff is not very helpful or motivating.
Internal movement very limited
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2016
Check messages to account and prepare for staffing requirements. Operators report to work, turn on system and begin taking calls. I log into system and monitor calls. Check reports and get an idea of what to expect. Prepare several type of reports as required by management. Communicate with operator issues or concerns that come up throughout the day and come up with workable solutions. Feeling that there is something else you can do even when meeting dissatisfied customer needs. Having callers say "Thank You"
Pros
Unlimited Sick days
Cons
internal movement
Great career development for employees
Director of Campus Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
work at Columbia for 13 years and I was supported and groomed from an entry level manager to a senior staff.
I worked very hard like everywhere else but i felt appreciated and rewarded for my hard work.
Pros
Great career development
Cons
no good work life balance
Not worth the risk
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
Bad environment and vey difficult people to work with. That is a general consensus of people who are at Columbia. Just because it has a good academic name does not translate in to a good work place. It is not worth the risk. If you see many job posting there is a reason.
Rewarding place where to work
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
My experience at Columbia has been extremely rewarding up to this point, especially thanks to my advisor, who is approachable and allows you to have a flexible schedule, as long as you meet expected levels of productivity.
Pros
Flexibility
I prefer to keep my opinion confidential.
Clerical/Bibliographic Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
At Columbia University there are a lot of Holidays and Vacation days.
I can not be completely objective because I am still working there.
Pros
It is a long commute from home to the office.
Cons
The average worker received at least 3 weeks vacation.

Want to know more about Columbia University?

Ask a question
Extremely demanding and engaging
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Great opportunity to learn - worked with world renowned academic and researcher, Saskia Sassen and developed essential critical writing and analysis skills from her course on Global Urbanism
Exciting, inspiring workplace
Professor of Writing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Columbia is an invigorating experience all around, with tremendous intellectual stimulation to offer both students and professors.
Pros
Great opportunity.
Cons
Job is limited to one semester.
Working very busy.
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
On a daily basis there are many invoices to be paid. Management dose not give any clues on to deal with union employees. Most co-workers are very friendly and are willingly to help. The hardest part of the job is how to deal with union employees who are not performing well. The most enjoyable part of the job is their benefits. Good medical programs and of course free tuition.
Well organized and functional institution.
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
A wonderful environment to work. The staff I worked with was very well mannered. We all worked extremely hard to accomplish our daily tasks.
Pros
RESPECTFUL
Cons
LADDER HIERACHY
Great Benefits, Bad Atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYJuly 19, 2016
Disclaimer: Columbia University is a big place with many different schools and offices. I cannot speak for every school and office in the university, only for the one where I worked.

When I first started to work at Columbia, the school where I was working was a great place to work. I was treated well, and was made to feel valued and appreciated.

As time went on, things changed, and the atmosphere of the workplace became very toxic, and it became difficult to work there. Employees were treated poorly, and the management gave us no encouragement, help or appreciation. Employees became ill from the stress.

My co-workers were, for the most part, helpful and nice. The students were also polite, friendly and thankful for whatever help we gave them. I had a good rapport, also, with faculty members. Management was another story.

Columbia offers very good benefits, which almost made the awful workplace atmosphere bearable.
Pros
Good benefits, including generous vacation allowance and free tuition
Cons
Office politics, unnecessary stress, harassment
good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
very nice faculty, friendly environment. work load depend on different courses, get salary biweekly, but in our department, the paycheck get messed up sometime, but after you tell them, they will fix it quickly
University
Post Baccalaureate Student (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
Top-notch university offering courses across all disciplines. Amazing professors, great opportunities for students. Beautiful campus, good career prep. Great atmosphere.
Academia remains predictable but pleasing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Work often fluctuates with the schoo lyear and works agonistic to the students schedules so during heavy academic periods depending on what the position you have you may either have less or more work depending on homw many students need you or if your work impacts or is more impacted by the students' lives or work.

The advantages of being on campus beyond being around others as they are learning.
Most work especially reasearching has a a bit of cushines that allows one to ake the intellectual risks needed to make good work thus maing the administrators the great thorn in the side of the researchers as they are the limiting factor to the all consuming academic drive.
Pros
Food every where, general air of comfort among employess
Cons
Frantic self importantant students, bureaucracy
Most Enjoyable part of the Job
Reservation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job here at Columbia is being a part of a great team. All departments working together to ensure a great outcome of an event. Also the skills and relationships learned and built in my time here at Columbia University.
Excellent University Work Environment
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
Excellent Job/Position. I worked actively with numerous students and faculty at Hospitals. I Undertook Extensive Research.
Pros
Provided Financial Funding
Cons
None. Everything was Excellent.

4.2