Columbia University

Columbia University Employer Reviews

This was the same job I wrote about before
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 24, 2014
What can I say. I learned a lot from this job and met interesting people. I was able sharpen my skills in the maintenance field. I learned how to buff floor, learned the building, wash clothes. It was a little like working in a hotel.
Produtive
Fire System Mechanic/HVAC Mechanic (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 18, 2014
Pros: appreciation
Cons: not enough time to complete in a 8hr day
HVAC/ Fire System is a intriguing helping people obtain there needs in comfort cooling and preserve their lives through fire safety means a lot to me. Each day I've looked how improvements can be made. Its so exciting to see the results of a given problem being solved.
Fantastic work environment in higher ed.
Administrative Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 16, 2014
I've enjoyed working at Columbia University for 8+ years. I have made many wonderful friends and professional relationships that I hope to keep for a long time.
Mellow but productive atmosphere
Summer Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 12, 2014
A typical day of work included going to the laboratory and analyze samples taken from field sampling. I learned a lot about greenhouse gas emissions. Furthermore, I learned about lab techniques like utilizing a Gas Chromatograph. The principal investigator was always making sure we were on the right tracks and helped us in any way he could. My co-workers – more... were really friendly and were always trying to help.The hardest part of the job was to gather the samples in the field. It rained a lot and that made it even harder. One of the most enjoyable parts was also the sampling. Even if it was hard to gather the samples, it was very fun doing it and I enjoyed it. – less
Great place to work while going to school
Researcher (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 8, 2014
Wonderful place to work while obtaining a college education, offers schedule adjustment as per worker needs, several locations in NYC which offer flexibility to work for employees
Quiet and peacefull place to work
Senior Secretary IV-Department of Neurology (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 7, 2014
Pros: good salary, excellent people different international culture.
Cons: too cold
Excellent!!! my experience at Columbia University was very very unique. a typical day will start very slowly doctors and fellow students will arrive around 10:00 in the morning , the Monday meeting i will be next to the director taking minutes that later i have to distribute to five labs, then i will star the purchase orders for the department of Neurology, – more... office supplies , lab equipment and everything they need to do the research. Learned a lot of medical terminology regarding muscular distrophy with my boss,it was only me and a sweet lady in the office but i did a lot interaction with the fellows students that came to do research in our lab.
there was not hard part in my job because the doctors expend most of the days doing research and given lectures out of the country, so basically i was my own. the most enjoyable part of the job was when we can schedule patients knowing that they will see the best neurologist and i was be able to gave the appoimet there were waiting for ( waiting list was up to a Year just to see the neurologist)
Loved to work in Columbia Univeristy. – less
not what you think
Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 4, 2014
Pros: lot of stimulant colleagues and ideas
Cons: do not let me begin the list
I had great expectations but Ivy League does not mean Paradise.
A Well Balance Between Fun & Productive
Leasing Associate (Former Employee), Harlem, NYDecember 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: language barrier between employees & students
A typical day can be anywhere between small cases of dealing with student issues to larger cases that require multiple "hands" in the situation. Either way it was a fun place to work, one I surely miss being at.
Student Intern daily tasks
Campus Rep (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 2, 2014
It was a great atmosphere to work in but the staff consisted mostly of women that could be slightly tense at times. The tasks as an intern were restricted to administrative tasks. There was lack of management, and the hardest part of the job was to avoid paper cuts.I learned that multi-tasking is essential, and time management was crucial as application – more... were all time-sensitive. – less
Fun Place
Grant Accountant/Budget Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 2, 2014
Was a great environment to work in, best part is working for a cause.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 24, 2014
Upper management was wonderful, they truly cared about everyones well being especially there management team
Fantastic benefits.
N/A (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 18, 2014
Pros: tuition benefits (for yourself and your children)
Cons: salary closer to a non-profit than a corporation
Each Dept/Group/School/Division/Etc. operates, seemingly almost, autonomously. There are plenty of great entities within the University to be employed by. If you discover you have chosen incorrectly, at least you'll be an internal candidate when looking for other opportunities, within the relatively massive Columbia University system.
Good work place
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 18, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: under staffed
Good benefits, but under staffed and no growth opportunity.

when I first started thought it was a union based company. co-works are a team we all worked together and stayed on task.
Higher Education Environment
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 9, 2014
I learned a higher awareness of the "higher education" culture. The campus and student body is very inspiring and alive. A typical day at work is very diverse yet exciting.
Great small work environment
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 5, 2014
Small hospital; personal with staff. Great learning environment
Ivy League University
Administrative Coordinator, Film (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 3, 2014
Excellent place to work and good tuition and vacation benefits. Stellar faculty.
Dedicated and hard working staff.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 24, 2014
Pros: free classes!
Love my bosses and my colleagues. I am learning patience, which is the hardest part of my job.
Proactively taking assignments and identifies issues to determines the most appropriate action to achieve the optimal result.
Manager, Pension Financial Reporting (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
By taking assignments and responsibilities proactively I always eagerly and willingly build and develop strategic relationship with my colleagues, peers and senior level management to achieve the department’s & overall University’s goals. I consistently exercised well-balanced thought process and proper research to identifying the core issues and their – more... solution in my decision-making process. This resulted in a smooth external audit and Form 5500 filing for all the plans. – less
Good place for doing research
Research assistant as Ph.D. student (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 12, 2014
As a Ph.D. student, I would like to say Columbia University is a nice university. More to add...
Creative and harding working environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 8, 2014
Pros: close to home, great hours
Cons: out dated building, however they were in the process of updating while i was there.
I was hired as a temporary assistant to cover the Operations administrative assistant who was out of the country for a month. The team was friendly and welcoming and needed a temporary assistant to handle the rhythm of their office while she was gone. The Chief Operating Officer appreciated my work so much he recommended me to the HR Director for his – more... division.

The most important thing I learned on that assignment is no matter how short or long the contract it is important to treat every assignment as if it were my own full-time position and/or business. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Columbia University

Founded in 1922, Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health pursues an agenda of research, education, and service to – Read more

Columbia University Photos