Columbia University Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Some good staff to work with, staff willing to train. Company offers over time. Office at good location. They have good office parties.
Pros
Share work related information
Cons
lack of communication
Working very busy.
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
On a daily basis there are many invoices to be paid. Management dose not give any clues on to deal with union employees. Most co-workers are very friendly and are willingly to help. The hardest part of the job is how to deal with union employees who are not performing well. The most enjoyable part of the job is their benefits. Good medical programs and of course free tuition.
Academia remains predictable but pleasing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Work often fluctuates with the schoo lyear and works agonistic to the students schedules so during heavy academic periods depending on what the position you have you may either have less or more work depending on homw many students need you or if your work impacts or is more impacted by the students' lives or work.

The advantages of being on campus beyond being around others as they are learning.
Most work especially reasearching has a a bit of cushines that allows one to ake the intellectual risks needed to make good work thus maing the administrators the great thorn in the side of the researchers as they are the limiting factor to the all consuming academic drive.
Pros
Food every where, general air of comfort among employess
Cons
Frantic self importantant students, bureaucracy
Administrative Coordinator (Business Services) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
Great place to work with great people, excellent benefits and the environment is energetic. I wouldn't mind working there again.
CU is a great educational experience
Student in Programming Languages and Translators (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
A great place for a student to be challenged, inspired by peers, and meet some of the top people in any field. Expect a diverse and challenging education and academic environment.
A real grindhouse
Assistant Director of Athletics Communications (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2015
I work in athletics, which at times is 7 days a week, 10-14 hours a day. It's a grind, and kind of a mess. I have definitely learned how to take initiative if nothing else, partially due to the fact that if I hadn't, nothing would be accomplished. New tasks and responsibilities that I had not originally been assigned to me are created on a weekly basis. If you want to have a significant other, family, extra money in your bank account or social life, go do anything else.
Pros
I don't spend all my money doing fun things because I have no time to
Cons
Read the above review
Columbia University is a nice place to work
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2015
You can find nice, smart and brilliant people everyday and find collaboration opportunities. A nice to place to grow. Decent salary and good benefits. Space is always an issue. Rent price is very high.
Exellent place to work
Maintenance/Heavy Cleaning/Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2015
excellent workplace with good management and professional supervision of heads. good treatment of workers and good workplace team.
Fun place to work with growth potential.
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2015
Nice place to work with exceptional management.Not to much politics.Alot of growth potential.Excellent staff,worker friendly enviroment.
Pros
Growth potential, excellent work enviroment.
Productive Workplace
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
The dynamic and diverse corridors are the least of your worries as I assisted the staff and students for the flu vaccine. Everyone is warm & friendly. Free lunch is always good.
Pros
Free lunch, diverse environment
Cons
Short breaks, no room for growth
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
Columbia University was an inviting temporary contract. As my time progressed, the faculty and event the students were very helpful and willing to assist me with new projects. Unfortunately, the lack of communication between the executive and mid level management accounted for many short comings in various projects.
Terrible experience, financially and otherwise
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
Quite disappointing overall. This may apply mostly for the humanities--my field--but I assume many others were in my position as well
Productive, easy going, fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Assisted customer either by telephone, electronically or face to face. Provided assistance for students and staff. Respond promptly to students inquiries. Provide pricing and delivery information, Student verification's, Set up new student accounts. Keep records of student interactions and transactions. Record details of inquiries, comments and complaints. Handle and resolve customer complaints. Prepare and distribute student activity reports.
Pros
Fun working area, meeting new people from around the world.
Student in Sustainability Management
Sustainability Management Graduate Thesis (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2015
Columbia University's Sustainability Management Program offers students the chance to learn the latest practices in sustainable resources, marketing and finance. After attending school here, I am able to understand complex topics such as marketing strategy, cost benefit analysis, green accounting and statistical analysis.
Pros
Excellent training Program
Cons
Long Hours
Well managed organization
Associate Dean for Finance (Current Employee) –  New York, N.Y.November 5, 2015
Good organization for experience and personal development. Opportunities for other positions available. Good exposure to other business segments.
Loved this job, as it talk differential diagnosis interviewing, which typically clinical psychologists don't get well training; psychiatrist's do
Interviewer and Top Diagnostician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 3, 2015
Again, it was a life altering experience. I interviewed a different groups of people (diversity of race, class, ages) for several years. It was a research study being done at Columbia University, and I was kept blind of the hypotheses. Thus, it was high-quality research. I had a great deal of respect for it. I loved what I did.
Pros
I enjoyed my boss, my coworkers and all that I learned that made me a better clinician.
Cons
It would be driving all over the five boroughs for the interviews. Many hours in the NYC area
REVIEW
business manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2015
I worked as a Business Manager there and these were my job duties (which were changed after getting the job): process international checks for domestic exchange; process rejected checks and credit cards; type and send notification letters to parents, students, and companies; file records, etc. Doesn't that sound more like what an administrative assistant would do?! I wasted a lot of time going through the interview process for a job that turned out to be not what it was portrayed to be.

This is a much better job: http://PayTaski.com/?ref=39035
Working for Columbia University was rewarding and challenging
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2015
Columbia University was a great place to work would love to return to work for them. Columbia uses the latest equipment this makes the work easy. The many different animals they have make it challenging and interesting.
thank you for reading.
good place good school
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2015
A school job. And good payment as a student. but you have to be a student with high GPA to apply for the teaching assistant job
Great University. Good teachers
Beit Ephraim Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2015
great university. Teachers are familiar with the industry and financial services. Get to have a lot of networking events to get closer to the employers.

4.2