Columbia University Employee Reviews in United States

career-oriented and fun work enviorment
Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2015
Great work place with supportive supervisors
Flexible work schedule and many opportunities working with students
Friendly management and well-organized office enviorment
Stimulating work environment with great colleagues
Research Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2015
The university setting allows an individual employee an almost unlimited opportunity to develop one's own skills, higher education, physical fitness, as well as to tap benefits including discounts for arts institutions in New York City.
Fast paced environment worked in school dentistry
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2015
Fast paced environment worked in a school setting it where I saw 16 patients or more daily.Great atmosphere for learning ,great people who care and know of disparities in health care.
Pros
Meeting people from diverse backgrounds
Cons
entry level pay
Great work environment
Swimming Instructor - Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
It was great until the pool from Teachers College had a leak and it was shut down. We were all laid off and never compensated.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No benefits
A very productive place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New Yoork, NYSeptember 12, 2015
Columbia University Facilities and Planning Departments have evolved to a well organized organization.
Many design and construction projects have been strategically planned and will keep many of the project managers busy for the next 10 years, specifically at the new Manhattanville campus
Pros
Job security is OK
Cons
Health care benefits can be better
Not a bad place to work at
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  NEW YORK, NYSeptember 7, 2015
My manager is the best part of it all. I dont really get compensated but my review was great. 9-5Pm is good never stay after and Im pretty much in control of myself as long as I do my job everything is good just need more pay. Not compensated enough for all the work the ma's do
Tyical position in higher education
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  722 W 168th StreetAugust 26, 2015
A typical day at work includes; taking care of my administrative and financial duties, over see the website, and make sure that I am on top of several grant related activities.
Pros
Able to take direction from my surpversior and get my work done without being micromanaged
Cons
No room for advancement
Great job in a respected department
Senior Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York CityAugust 23, 2015
Great environment if you hare in the "right" department. Advancement opportunities if you know where to look. Fair compensation and benefits offered.
Pros
Fair compensation and benefits offered.
Cons
Siloistic mentality throughout system
Fast pace work environment.
Senior Retirement Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2015
Working at Columbia University you must have the ability to multitask your work assignments. The management style there is pretty much, do what you have to do to get it done. You are pretty much allowed to manage your time. Prioritizing is key to your success at Columbia University.
Fairly busy office with a great group of people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lamont Doherty Earth ObservatoryAugust 18, 2015
Great place to work, so much to see there, a truly preserved piece of land donated to Columbia University to study our Earth. Management was one of the greatest I worked for, such a amazing group of people. I've never had an experience like this anywhere and I was very lucky to have been able experience and learn what I did in this special place. The hardest part of that job was leaving it.
Pros
The people were great, the location was beautiful.
Cons
That our program lost it's grant funding
Very Productive and fun work space
Youth Program Coordinator/ Lead Youth Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2015
Developed and implemented a curriculum that engaged youth in age-appropriate activities including community service, non-violent conflict resolution, youth entrepreneurship, career and college awareness and guidance.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Program Defunct
Major educational institution with attractive benefits
Director of Web & EDM Services / Main Campus (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
Strong work teams and a great variety of work assignments. The University offers benefits including education reimbursement.
Good employer
Ritt Assistant Professor, Mathematics (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
No hassles, great academic freedom, stimulating faculty. The faculty and staff housing offers can make a huge difference if you are moving into the tri-state area.
Great job for anyone who doesn't mind the commute
Medical Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
Great job for anyone who doesn't mind the commute. Heavy traffic and delays in the mornings and evenings. Also, be sure to inquire about parking facilities. Give yourself lots of time to get to and from work every day.
Columbia University
Egg Donor Program Manager (Current Employee) –  1790 Broadway NY, NYAugust 4, 2015
Overall a great place to work. Good benefits and a fast-paced environment. Close contact with patients and a true multidisciplinary team.
Depends on the office.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
You get a lot of different experiences here depending on who you are working with. If you get a good office that doesn't mean you will get good workers. BUT if you have a good higher staff that will be an easy fix.
Overall a productive work space
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
A typical day as an Account Specialist at Columbia. I would come in and immediately start to assign invoices. After about two hours of assign invoices accordingly. I would then get to work on the invoices that were assigned to me. Reviewing the invoice. Double checking the accuracy and corresponding with vendors via email and by phone about any discrepancies. I then processed the assigned invoices utilizing processing systems such as ARC, Maximo, and Unifier. I would also receive and distribute checks to the university.
Great tuition benefit
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
If you are going to attend school at Columbia the tuition benefit is great, considering how expensive tuition is. Salaries here are often below what you can get somewhere else but the flexibility made up for it in my opinion.
productiv work place
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
perfects company for workers good management and good benefits,co workers very pleasant good good good good plenty off breaks
Enjoy working here
Assist doctors and nurses (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2015
Work with a great of people.Room for advancement.Enjoy my hours weekends off. Supervisors easy to talk to.Would reccomend this company to anyone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2