Columbia University Employee Reviews

Exciting, inspiring workplace
Professor of Writing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Columbia is an invigorating experience all around, with tremendous intellectual stimulation to offer both students and professors.
Pros
Great opportunity.
Cons
Job is limited to one semester.
Great Benefits, Bad Atmosphere
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYJuly 19, 2016
Disclaimer: Columbia University is a big place with many different schools and offices. I cannot speak for every school and office in the university, only for the one where I worked.

When I first started to work at Columbia, the school where I was working was a great place to work. I was treated well, and was made to feel valued and appreciated.

As time went on, things changed, and the atmosphere of the workplace became very toxic, and it became difficult to work there. Employees were treated poorly, and the management gave us no encouragement, help or appreciation. Employees became ill from the stress.

My co-workers were, for the most part, helpful and nice. The students were also polite, friendly and thankful for whatever help we gave them. I had a good rapport, also, with faculty members. Management was another story.

Columbia offers very good benefits, which almost made the awful workplace atmosphere bearable.
Pros
Good benefits, including generous vacation allowance and free tuition
Cons
Office politics, unnecessary stress, harassment
University
Post Baccalaureate Student (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
Top-notch university offering courses across all disciplines. Amazing professors, great opportunities for students. Beautiful campus, good career prep. Great atmosphere.
Exciting Student on Campus Job
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2016
Working at the university gym, I was able to meet other students and school faculty and so advance my communication and customer service kills.

Hardest part of the job can be the hours as sometimes I pull 10-12 hour shifts and sometimes I open at 6AM or I close at midnight.

Best part of the job is definitely the people I work with. They are all amazing. Many are in their mid 20s some are 19 and some of the administrative staff are in their 30s but overall everyone blends into a good pot of friendly hard working people.
Pros
Work at the gym so working out after work is possible.
Cons
Salary
fun place to work
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2016
caring and impeccable facility, hands on and attentive students, hand on best experience, dentist-student are one of the brilliant ones around. definitely recommend
Great learning experience
Medical Record Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2016
I love this job it gave me and an opportunity as I started here as a temp but its time to expand and explore more in the healthcare field.
You learn so much life here
Great career development for employees
Director of Campus Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
work at Columbia for 13 years and I was supported and groomed from an entry level manager to a senior staff.
I worked very hard like everywhere else but i felt appreciated and rewarded for my hard work.
Pros
Great career development
Cons
no good work life balance
Not worth the risk
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
Bad environment and vey difficult people to work with. That is a general consensus of people who are at Columbia. Just because it has a good academic name does not translate in to a good work place. It is not worth the risk. If you see many job posting there is a reason.
productive and supportive environment
Adjunct Professor/Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  168th Street New York, NYJune 20, 2016
Teaching is one of the hardest jobs around. The faculty at Columbia welcomed me with open arms and gave me an opportunity to give back to Nursing as a whole.
Fun work environment, productive setting
Student Service Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
I was recently employed as a temp in the Student Services department at Columbia Law School. There I was tasked with assisting students and staff with invoice processing, travel arrangements, and reimbursements for school-related expenses. I also assisted one of our Associate Deans with clerkships by corresponding with various SDNY Chambers in order to learn about their clerkship hiring practices and opportunities for our students. Finally, I assist other Managers and Directors with a multitude of administrative duties on an ad hoc basis.
okay place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
CUMC has good benefits for children and advancing education. Their work/life balance is okay depending on the manager. I have been here for over a decade and its okay place to work if you have a family. for singles, I would continue to look elsewhere and grow somewhere else.
Rewarding place where to work
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
My experience at Columbia has been extremely rewarding up to this point, especially thanks to my advisor, who is approachable and allows you to have a flexible schedule, as long as you meet expected levels of productivity.
Pros
Flexibility
Excellent Environment
Dental Supply Module Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2016
Excellent Environment and really nice co-workers. I learned many different materials and instructions for dental environment
Extremely demanding and engaging
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2016
Great opportunity to learn - worked with world renowned academic and researcher, Saskia Sassen and developed essential critical writing and analysis skills from her course on Global Urbanism
Productive, high volume of calls
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 2, 2016
Fast paced environment, high call volumes. I've learned to multi task, how to e a team player and do what is asked and more. Go above and beyond for my patients, they are very sick individuals who need all the TLC they can get. Great co-workers, everyone is a team player. The most enjoyable part of my job is the team I work with and my patients.
Wonderful place
Financial Aid and Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2016
It is a wonderful place to grow and learn. You become a family with your employers and fellow co-workers. The benefits are outstanding and you are afforded every opportunity to grow and move up in the ladder.
Pros
Great benefits, a lot of support
good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
very nice faculty, friendly environment. work load depend on different courses, get salary biweekly, but in our department, the paycheck get messed up sometime, but after you tell them, they will fix it quickly
Wonderful place to work with great benefits
Web Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2016
Working at Columbia was a great experience. I learned how to work fluently with a range of all departments to make our website a success.
My Columbia University Experience
Associate Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
New York year round is constant. This week 5/10/16 is reading and exam week for our student body, which means my building (the student center) remains open for 24 hours annually to accommodate study time. As operations managers we are required to be present during open building hours. I am currently working 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM, waking up at 3:30 AM and bed by 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM. On a normal schedule I open the building and set pace for the oncoming day. I unlock all accessible points of access, walk the building for any facilities or maintenance concerns from tenants, staff, and students. Start the daily status report, update data files, schedule employees for shifts, open/ tracking work orders for building operational concerns, project and construction management. I wear many hats in my position. I serve as a liaison between our building tenants, camps/ building facilities, Public Safety, executive administration, and most importantly the students.

One significant factor about Columbia in the city of New York is the culture. With a rich and robust history that spans over 100 years, learning to embrace my talents and polished me as a professional. I have adopted a move with intention persona, giving me the ability to put forth thought, pro activity, and reverence in everything I do.

I have been so fortunate to be a part of true team. One that reflects the true essence of working together for the progression of the collective. As senior member I have privilege of passing the values and objectives introduced to me 4 years ago. It is apparent that seeking like
  more... minded, enthusiastic, creative, with a willingness to learn and grow helps with departmental relations. This energy shows up on a daily basis, whether we are working irregular schedules to accommodate sick time, vacation, or emergency. Completing projects, contributing ideas, and exhibiting true alter-ism for your colleague. My team is consistently complimented on our syngery.

Believe is or not the hardest part of my job is the fact that it is no longer hard. I have been promoted twice and the Associates Manager position was created solely for our departmental advancement. I take great pride in knowing that my personal and professional growth took a substantial leap once I joined Columbia. The positive impact personally is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
working at Columbia University, Lerner Operations Team, job security, fun place to work, students, staff, administration, fast pace, energy
Cons
cost of living in NY, family resides in Dallas
Inspiring collegiate atmosphere with disorganized and disjointed bureaucratic infrastructure
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
Columbia has a growing tendency to combine multiple roles under one (mid-manager) title that make it very difficult to carry out one's functions successfully and efficiently. Job classifications & descriptions appear to be completely arbitrary and all encompassing, thereby compromising the only mechanism for determining the appropriate level of compensation. As an "officer", in addition to special projects that required expertise and strategy, my workday was jam packed with clerical duties. Even though I was technically a manager, I was not granted the authority or resources to delegate.

On the plus side, there are countless opportunities to evolve intellectually and engage in interesting discussions. Tuition is free, though officers have a 2 year waiting period before being allowed to take classes. In my experience, I was so busy putting out fires and dealing with administrative incompetency that I was never able to make time to take a class. To be fair, this does not seem to be the case across the board, as many other employees were successful in doing so. Each department/division varies wildly, it's actually quite astonishing.
Pros
Great benefits, free tuition (eventually), lively and engaging environment
Cons
Disjointed and disorganized administration

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2