Columbia University Employee Reviews in United States

Great company
Administrative Coordinator - HR & Academic Affairs (Former Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 26, 2012
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits and corporate culture.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with staff at all levels and the diversity of the institution.
benefits
Cons
transfer and promotion policies made it difficult to change positions
Columbia University
Egg Donor Program Manager (Current Employee) –  1790 Broadway NY, NYAugust 4, 2015
Overall a great place to work. Good benefits and a fast-paced environment. Close contact with patients and a true multidisciplinary team.
Self-motivated work environment
Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2015
FFG is an agency company selling Index Universal Life and Annuity. The company helps agents in many ways including a provided well written sales script and high quality leads generated by in house telemarketing department.
Overall a productive work space
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
A typical day as an Account Specialist at Columbia. I would come in and immediately start to assign invoices. After about two hours of assign invoices accordingly. I would then get to work on the invoices that were assigned to me. Reviewing the invoice. Double checking the accuracy and corresponding with vendors via email and by phone about any discrepancies. I then processed the assigned invoices utilizing processing systems such as ARC, Maximo, and Unifier. I would also receive and distribute checks to the university.
Advancement is tough but worth it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2015
The University has of course issues with many regulations and thus has a lot of paperwork but is a fabulous place to work as the people are great, the environment is fun and the university does care about its staff.
Great University. Good teachers
Beit Ephraim Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2015
great university. Teachers are familiar with the industry and financial services. Get to have a lot of networking events to get closer to the employers.
Excellent place to work if you know the right people.
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2012
fast paced environment.
great benefits
great unions
educational and health opportunities
tall organizational structure
cultural divide between top and bottom
minorities in support staff
majority white officer
economical booming company
monetarily frugal management
Multitude of departments and job diversity
Pros
free pizza once a week, plus free lunch once a month
Cons
it's not what you know, but who you know. most people got their job because they know someone.
Nice lace to work
Fire Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2015
Nice place to work, people are friendly . Good benefits and time off. Nice co-workers, management a little stiff. Learned a lot about various EHS functions.
Fast paced environment worked in school dentistry
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2015
Fast paced environment worked in a school setting it where I saw 16 patients or more daily.Great atmosphere for learning ,great people who care and know of disparities in health care.
Pros
Meeting people from diverse backgrounds
Cons
entry level pay
Part time
Research Assistant to Dr. Dawn Nilsen, OTR/L (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
Good part time work study job, flexible to my FT student status. Learned a lot. Got to figure out my own schedule. Independent work but good communication w/ supervisor

Want to know more about Columbia University?

Ask a question
Productive workplace
Associate Applications Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2015
Gained experience and knowledge. Used Linux/Solaris to maintain infrastructures across University departments. Close communication with colleagues and hands-on training.
Not a bad place to work at
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  NEW YORK, NYSeptember 7, 2015
My manager is the best part of it all. I dont really get compensated but my review was great. 9-5Pm is good never stay after and Im pretty much in control of myself as long as I do my job everything is good just need more pay. Not compensated enough for all the work the ma's do
good place good school
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2015
A school job. And good payment as a student. but you have to be a student with high GPA to apply for the teaching assistant job
Great school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2015
Smart people and professors. But lack of equipment and experiment chances. Still learnt a lot from them. Have to be self-motivated.
Great working environment and great pay
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Broadway, New York, New YorkJune 7, 2015
I got this job through a temp agency and worked for the standard 4 month period for non-union audio/visual technicians. Each day I would go into the office and get my assignments out of my folder, report to where my assignment was to be held, and do my work. Some days I would set up and run an entire production alone, and then break it down (strike) myself or someone would relieve me. Other days I would work on a team and would communicate via radio for ques on when to do certain things such as dim lights, switch video presentations that were on separate computers, work the EQ and volume for microphones or any audio used for presentations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was producing a good show and hearing the client tell me that he was very happy with how everything I was responsible for went. The hardest part of the job was the commute, otherwise I enjoyed just about all of it. There was a lot of physical labor involved but I just took it as a good workout.
Pros
Free lunches, exercise, great people
Cons
Long commute to and from work.
Great Place to Work.
Manager - Faculty Secretariat (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2015
Deal with Students and Faculty. Summer time is slow. Spring and Fall are very busy with class materials and textbook inquiries.
Pros
Great Benefits and Retirement Plan
Cons
you have to work during the summer
Is a great place to work for with good benefits
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2015
The only complaint I will have is that they work you until they cant no more, and the day you don't function to expectation they get rid of you.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
quick turn over
Excellent place to work
Manager of the Clean Room Facility (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2012
I worked very hard and had little to show for it after 6 years. Raises were good at the start and then stopped. When I left, they hired my replacement for $10K more than I received and they also hired an assistant.
Pros
college tuition was free, my children could also get tuition assistance from the university
Cons
didn't like the liberal environment
Excellent workplace
Rapporteur (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
My three separate rolls at Columbia University consisted of three work study positions. These were picked on my own and applied for on an individual basis. I worked as an administrative assistant in the music department, a peer tutor for academic services, and a rapporteur (secretary) for the Irish Studies Seminar. I found my coworkers and supervisors to be supporting and friendly, and I learned how to balance my academic life with a personal one. The most enjoyable thing about my jobs were working with people and working with students and alumni on campus.
Proactively taking assignments and identifies issues to determines the most appropriate action to achieve the optimal result.
Manager, Pension Financial Reporting (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
By taking assignments and responsibilities proactively I always eagerly and willingly build and develop strategic relationship with my colleagues, peers and senior level management to achieve the department’s & overall University’s goals. I consistently exercised well-balanced thought process and proper research to identifying the core issues and their solution in my decision-making process. This resulted in a smooth external audit and Form 5500 filing for all the plans.

4.2