Columbus City Schools Employee Reviews

Enjoyable part of Coaching
Instructional Coach (TOSA) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 23, 2017
I am able to meet with students and teachers one on one, create relationships and assist them where they most need it. I am able to work on various projects as well be a resource for teachers. I am able to provide instructional ideas and demonstrate various lessons for teachers and students. I also get to work with students who have discipline issues as well as those who are performing greatly in the classroom. I interact with students at different grade level.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Moral is low among staff
Great Place To Work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 22, 2017
Because I work two jobs and I have ability to have better control of my work life balance, I enjoy working at Columbus Public Schools. This job at this time works for me.
Crony capitalism pervades.
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2017
You become hooked on helping the students.

Management dedicated to helping itself. Survival

Hardest part of job is making improvements.

The work as an internal auditor was very satisfying. I truly enjoyed it.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Management - Board of Education and Administration
productive always work to be done.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  FloaterMarch 5, 2017
do your job n be on time. and ready to work it's alot of to be done always. high dusting n detail work in the building like window seals and baseboards and buffing of floors on a regular basis
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No raises in 3 years for everyone
political
Secretary (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 3, 2017
Employee success is unfortunately all about who you know rather than what you know. Not a place that gives second chances.
Math and Science instructor
Mathematics, Science Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 31, 2017
I worked as an ACT/SAT tutor on some week-ends for CCS. I worked nights teaching math at four of their career centers (when they were career centers in the eighties). I helped East High school get the plato program to remediate students. It was in one of the summers that I approached Columbus State to allow me to remediate students on their Plato program (before getting it for East High).

During the transition to to academies, I helped write one of the programs for East High's Science/technology program. Was on a book review committee, and did many things. While at East, I started a tutorial program from home to help children in my community. I loved teachinng. I became ill (voice died) and could no longer teach.
Pros
Children were great..
Cons
I lost my voice much too early.
Friendly Environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 10, 2017
It was great place to get my foot in the door to get a better understanding of the importance of health care and the impact of having or not having it has on the community at large.
Teaching in the Urban Schools is Ugly, but CCS is the worst
Teacher / Director (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 8, 2017
No support. You must be on the favorites list to get any kind of promotion. These days, teachers are being assessed constantly and held responsible for chronically truant, disrespectful, entitled students. There is zero power in the classroom and administration never supports the educator, but instead caves to the whim of every parent.
Pros
10 weeks of summer
Cons
administration bullying, abusive students
A place to be avoided
DATABASE DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 7, 2017
Out dated in every way. Giant bureaucracy. Low wages. Bad morale. Truly a place to avoid. The only reason to take a job here is if you only care about job security and possibly the retirement.
Pros
job security, retirement
Cons
everything else
Multicultural and fun place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2017
I love the flexibility that the Columbus Schools offer. Great place to work and I just love my student!!!!!! The job is very rewarding because I am making a difference in the lives of our young people.
Pros
Leadership roles.
Cons
Hard work dealing with different personalities.
A place where you can make a difference
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2016
It seems harder and harder to overcome factors outside of your control as an educator to make a difference. Educators are held accountable for attendance and mental health issues that impact education, for example. The current educational environment is requiring that children complete more skills at younger ages to show competent teaching. Often the required skills are not developmentally appropriate.
Pros
Working with children, same school schedule as your children
Cons
Unsafe and unhygienic work environment; held accountable for many factors outside of your control
Reasonable caseload and employee expectations
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 17, 2016
CPS is a good school district to work for. The pay and benefits are very competitive. There is also opportunity for advancement for those that chose to do so.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Lots of paper work
Small School/ good working experience
3rd Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mcarthur Drive/ Columbus, MsDecember 1, 2016
A typical day at work was to teach five classes and work in the library to assist students in reading. I learned from the supervisor to always be prepared for the unexpected by planning for at least three levels of activities. The co workers were eager to make our school the best, therefore everyone was always planning or coming up with new ideas.The hardest part of the job was to see the students of Military parents leave once they were learning and becoming involved in the school.
Pros
A great location with a variety of students
Cons
Student relocating due to parents moving to other bases
Being a substitute allows me great work flexibility
Secretary I - Substitute Secretary (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 28, 2016
Generally enjoy working for the district. It served my desire for a flexible work schedule while my own children were still in school. Ready now to pursue a full time position with more hours.
Very rewarding to be able to make a difference in someones child's life
Food Service Sattelite Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 10, 2016
Busy getting food ready for arriving and hungry children. There are a few dream killers teaching our children. Doing things by their own terms. Loved eevryone who had an active and positive part in making a difference in the lives of children. Food allergies. Putting a smile on a childs face who may or may not have been weight down by life's obstacles.
Pros
Being a positive individual someone could look up too
Cons
not having a benefits after seven years as a sub
stressful
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  local areaSeptember 24, 2016
no room for advancement, job opportunity low, benefits are great but co-pay is poor. must comply with joining union which has very poor representation
Pros
access to job site
Cons
poor management
A company that employs school teachers and other school employees that make differences in students lives.
High Incidence Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 19, 2016
Columbus City Schools, established in 1845, is Ohio’s largest school district, serving the needs of more than 51,000 students in 109 schools. This job consisted of working with Emotionally Disabled high school students.
Pros
Exciting, Never a dull moment.
Cons
There weren't to many cons, just another normal day of teaching, I would have liked it more if the parents were more involved with their child's education.
Great working with students and teachers
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 5, 2016
Very fast-paced office environment. Work with 3 administrators, 35 teaching staff and 10-15 other staff in the building and outside the building. I have learned how to multi-task on a broader range. It is a challenge to work with so many staff members as well as students and parents at the same time. Job is only a 35 hour work week. Love work and building relationships with students. Need a 40 hr week position.
Instructional Paraprofessional
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43215August 18, 2016
Positions are Limited at best; primarily contingent and may NOT return to the same school the nest school year. Job permanence linked to enrollment numbers and tax levy monies
relaxing and a very social place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 18, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is instilling listening skills to my students. My co-workers are very supportive too. They are helpful with scheduling breaks. Most children are ready to learn and are capable of achieving their goals. I am most impressed with their reading skills and their ability to master the English language.
Pros
lunch breaks are long
Cons
some days are unpredictable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbus City Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

78%