Columbus City Schools Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 3, 2015
enjoy driving then this is the place for you. The benefits are excellent for singles as well as for families. You can also and more into your life insurance that is paid for by the employer for 10,000 add more at your cost.
Pros
slip shifts
Cons
its not 8 hours reg.
My job
Instructional assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2015
This was a very rewarding job as I was able to make a difference in the lives of the students and my co-workers. It is a shame that the system is the way it has become. I resigned giving two weeks notice with a last day of employment 10/30/2015.
Pros
Enriching lives of others
Cons
Administration, bullying, harrassment, intimidation, and slander
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 17, 2015
I love my school district from the children to the staff I work with. I have been a teacher for 7 years and I am happy I chose this professional and had the opportunity to work in this district.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, Great Students
Differs from school to school
Program Coordinator/Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2015
I worked with a great and passionate principal who had big plans for the school (and still does!). Specialized position to help with at-risk youth and high school drop out prevention. Developed school website, Twitter, and Facebook. Worked with community to bring in positive resources for students and create an atmosphere for students to give back through volunteerism.
Pros
passionate coworkers and supervisors
Cons
unionized environment made it difficult to keep new position in school
It was a rewarding job with an opportunity to make a great impact on families.
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 31, 2015
As a Family Advocate i was afforded the ability to work with administrators and community leaders to help remove educational barriers for students and families.
Pros
opportunity to support the overall learning process for youth.
Cons
a changing culture that does not value loyal employees.
Helping Families and Students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2015
Iterested in working with students, or at-risk students. Helping families to find balance, and keep students in school. Help to develop skills and futures for students. Helping families with housing and other needs, as needed. Working in community to let families know what is available. Helping them to get employment, and support.
GREAT PLACE TO BE A POSITIVE IMAGE
Parent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2015
ALWAYS BUSY WITH THE CHILDREN AND PARENTS. THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO BE A POSITIVE PRODUCTIVE IMAGE INSTILLING KIDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND GIVING THEM WISDOM TO BE POSITIVE SO THEY MAY GROW INTO A PRODUCTIVE CITIZEN IN LIFE.
If you like working with kids this is the job for you.
Food Service Satellite Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioSeptember 2, 2015
Serving breakfast and lunch to school aged children, general office duties and summers off. Really easy job, friendly teachers and major holiday off
Pros
Summer's off
Cons
Part time pay, no 40+ week hours
Productive and good work environment
IT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2015
A growing IT department that does a good job of supporting the District. Good work environment. I really enjoy working here.
Positively influence the lives of children.
Substitute Principal (Current Employee) –  Substituted in any of 200 schoolsJuly 26, 2015
As a substitute I observed excellent teaching practices and communicated this to the personnel, along with suggestions for increased effectiveness. I guided the development of children usually in one on one conversations, assisting them with their selection of choices.
Pros
Positively influencing children, staffs, and guardians.
Cons
Day to day assignments did not permit attainment of extensive knowledge of children, staffs, and guardians.

Want to know more about Columbus City Schools?

Ask a question
Work Review
Substitute Teacher/Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2015
A typical work day consisted of often being on my feet implementing plans that I created. Also, managing learning centers where lessons were tailored to the need of students. Part of the time it consisted of one-on-one strategies that would assist the student with understanding. Some of the times I had to utilize classroom management strategies to redirect the students. My co-workers are great and supportive. I always had a great rapport with co-workers and it continued outside of the work day. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a student exhibit knowledge of the lesson that has been conveyed. The most difficult part of the job was trying to encourage someone after outside elements trigger behavior changes. What I learned is people have different needs, I learned how to use multiple office equipment and how to manage a class with difficult students.
Pros
Using updated and new technology
Cons
Limited class time when the students had to switch classes or subjects.
Enjoyed working with students.
Student Safety Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part was working and motivating the students to achieve and stay positive in school. Try to always to be strong and mentally sound.
great place
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus,OHJuly 9, 2015
have the ability to make a difference in a child's life just by transporting them. great place to work, and the co-workers are very friendly.
flexibile, plenty of jobs, friendly staff
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2015
Plenty of job opportunities in many different districts. I had an amazing supervisor. I even received personal calls from my supervisor for subbing positions.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of compensation
In general the job is enjoyable and rewarding with little stress involved.
Student Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 17, 2015
The work is enjoyable because it is my passion to work with children.My co-workers and i have a good working relationship with the staff and students of Columbus Public schools.
Pros
Good consistent job
Cons
Pay could be alittle more fair
Good job for those who love to work with children.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 17, 2015
The typical day at work means pre-tripping my bus before the beginning of each shift t make sure the each trip I take is a safe one. I have leaned that as a bus driver we are the first adults these kids may see in the mornings so having a positive attitude is a must. The hardest part is to stay focused on driving while kids are misbehaving while your driving, and the most rewarding thing is when they thank you for getting them to and from school safely.
Pros
Great feild to be in if y.ou love driving, and children.
Cons
The adverse weather you have to drive in sometimes
enjoy working with children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 16, 2015
Responsible for transporting children from school to home or from home to school. Picks up children along scheduled route and ensures they remain in their seats until they reach their
destination. Transport children to and from school. Pick up children along scheduled routes at the same time every day. Before stopping, operate stop sign and flashing lights on bus to alert traffic.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
split shift
Great Organization
Middle School Educator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 3, 2015
An exciting, urban district that works hard to support our children. We have gone through several changes recently that strengthened the district and provided additional support for what we do.
Pros
Great opportunities to work with children adn families
Cons
Large organization
Columbus City Schools
Special Needs Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem Elementary SchoolMay 23, 2015
Columbus City Schools is a great place to work. I get to work with very special kids throughout my work day. My manager is passionate about her students and staff and very encouraging. My co-workers are fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is saying good-bye to my students at the end of the school year. I will miss them. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my students smile at a job well done!
Great Employer
Strings Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 16, 2015
I love working here. My classes are great, my students work hard. Administration is supportive. The benefits are good and the job is unionized. The union watches out for you.