Columbus Consolidated Government Employee Reviews in United States

Stay away from this place
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Muscogee county prisonMarch 3, 2016
I worked at this place and I must say the only thing I looked forward to everyday was going home. The leadership from top to bottom is absolute garbage. The warden is racist and the deputy warden of security has a god complex and is a total snake who'll try and ruin your life if you don't kiss his a*s. Some of the officers are cool but most of them will sell out their own mom to get an upper hand. If anyone is thinking of applying here I warn you to stay away. Management will take the word of an inmate over an officer.
Pros
Decent Money
Cons
No progression, horrible management, dangerous place to work
Human Resource Technician I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 9, 2016
A good work environment. I do mostly employee relations and assisting the Affirmative Actions Officer. The current job is ever evolving and I'm able to adjust with it. I am use t working in a strict military environment and now have a more relaxed work atmosphere.
Productive and fun work environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 28, 2016
Great on the job training that I feel that I would not have been able to get in any other establishment. Excellent place to network and to gather experience in several different departments.
Great Place to work
PARK MAINTENANCE WORKER I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 19, 2016
Great place to work. Great management. Great benefits. Excellent hours. Enjoy working and assisting the citizens of Columbus, GA. Overall, excellent atmosphere.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Fun & Productive until March-2011
Operation Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 16, 2015
Management is Terrible. Don't think about the employees , only of themselves only because they in higher position than you. A bulley & think because he's management he can talk to customers & employees any type of way and thinks thats acceptable. Went to H. R. and couldn't get no help. That's not good business. I consider that's wrong . Employees have Rights too. Praying I'll never have to work for them ever again. How can you put someone in a 100,000$ job that don't even know the job. That is so stupid. Just like we earn ours management where I use to work should maintain. City just hire people in just to fill position. 😕😕😕SAD......
Pros
Free Bus Rides.
Cons
Not a thing.
What I learned
Job Training Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 1, 2015
I learned how to deal with many different kinds of people and the job helped me to humble myself as a person. The only down side of the job is the pay
It was a great experience.
Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbus GaAugust 26, 2015
Fun work place. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. the most enjoyable part of this job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
City discount, Hours coupons
Cons
Not enough work hours
leadership skills
Survey Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 29, 2015
The leadership in the engineering survey department lacked tremendously as inexperience personal were in key role just because of time spent in the department and not the knowledge it took to run the crews.
Pros
Good Benifits
Total waste of time!
Corrections (Former Employee) –  Rutledge State PrisonJuly 23, 2015
Management is terrible. Work load is too heavy. Money and benefits are less than most. Mean, mean people! Oppressive is the best word to describe this job. I would say lunch is the most enjoyable part of the job...but who gets lunch at this place? too much to do!
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
One
Election Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elections and Voter RegistrationJune 23, 2015
Working under management who believes that a person well being will equal superb job performance is a blessing. To service people of the county in providing an organize process to select who will represent as a voice is the highlight of my position.

Want to know more about Columbus Consolidated Government?

Ask a question
Unique job with many learning opportunities
Recreation Center Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 21, 2015
This job consisted of providing recreation opportunities for adults with special needs like autism or other developmental disabilities. Many of the recreational events focused on teamwork, communication, and building life skills. I learned quite a lot about different developmental disorders, and how to effectively communicate to and provide enjoyable recreation opportunities for a wide variety of needs. I worked side by side with a few coworkers and we often took turns in leading classes as to avoid burnout. The job was enjoyable and I took great pleasure in seeing the happiness in the participants' faces. Talking with them also enabled me to see many unique perspectives on life. The job did come with many challenges, though, as sometimes it was a delicate balance to keep everyone happy and also make sure the recreational programming stayed on time.
Pros
Fun programming, free events around the city
Cons
low pay, little training
Work life
Tax Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 15, 2015
I really enjoyed working for the city coming to work was like going to be around family. The days went by quickly as there was alot of work to be accomplished and completed. I miss the atomosphere very family orientated.
Pros
family environment
Cons
pay sucks
Customer Service
Human Resources/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 20, 2015
I worked here will I was in high school, it was the perfect job for me to get my life started and keep me out of trouble. You really only answer calls and enter data.
Mid-term Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 2, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of my going out into the field to gather data to compile into reports. This data ranged from utility usage of county buildings, building repair and conditions to actual meters of various utilities. I would spend half of my day out of office and the rest at my desk inputting data. This job required an extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
This job mostly helped me hone my skills in data presentation, upper level management cooperation, and project flexibility. My tasks and objectives would change almost daily, and it was important that I was always in contact with the supervisor of my project and with my coworkers.
The office environment was always friendly and helpful. When in doubt about direction or method, I could always find someone who could assist me. My coworkers were helpful and were task oriented.
The hardest part of the job was learning the new equipment used by the city. This was not too hard to overcome thanks to the optional training courses offered through the HR department. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexible hours. I could fit this job into my course schedule and still complete my tasks on deadline.
Pros
company car, office atmosphere
Horrible place with ALOT of bullies
Depury Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GaDecember 15, 2014
I worked here for almost a year dealing with unprofessional people and bullies. If you're not "friends" or family to the bosses you will not get any type of overtime, or good pay. I hated it! I'm glad I can now breathe. This, by far, is the absolute worst place I've ever worked.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Great management
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  columbus gaDecember 4, 2014
Secreterial work has been many years since I worked there. unable to remember many things, but the manager was great to me.
ok
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  columbus, gaNovember 12, 2014
needs to be full time, it can get really crazy, but for the most part it can be an enjoyable job
This was a good job overall but it got to be too physical for me.
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of signing in at the office getting your Job orders and working on them until it was time to go home.The day usually consisted of surveying the City's Storm Water lines and mapping the pipes sizes,the pipe's material and get a azimuth for the directions. The day's also consisted of surveying Columbus' Intersection's. surveying Boundaries and Topos. The Management was decent. They overall were good people. I liked my co-workers and i still am friends with a few of them. The hardest part of my job was the physical part.Lifting of manhole lids. The most enjoyable part of my job were the friends i made and all the citizens i got to interact with.
Pros
being off on fridays .i worked four ten hour days
Cons
having some citizens talk down to you
Small town city gov for small town people
GIS Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 14, 2014
Columbus Consolidated Government is a good place to find entry level work and some training in the ability to progress in your career path. You learn useful skills in terms of managing projects and preforming various field work tasks for the city. However, do not expect to find a sustainable living within the confines of working with the City of Columbus. Raises are on a political basis, and not knowing the right people may mean you either see an increase in pay or a decrease in job security.
Pros
flexable work hours and some in-city benefits
Cons
low pay; low job security
Productive on the go job with different areas to gain expirience.
Aquatics Laborer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 25, 2014
Answer customers calls.
Apply data into computer or on a chart.
Drive cement truck.
Chlorinate pools.
Check Pressure and temp of water.
Any Maintenance.