Columbus Dispatch Employee Reviews

Scam avoid
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2017
Avoid avoid avoid stay as far away from this place as you can they won't pay you what they tell you they're going to pay you if you still continue to stay there and play their games the pull the rug out from under your feet every chance they get they'll tell you what you're doing isn't enough for what you're getting paid and what you're getting paid is Airline peanut packages stay the away I worked there for 3 weeks got less than one week's worth of pay worst company in the world glad the papers are a Dying Breed
Pros
Still trying to think of one
Just horrible boss
Dispatch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 13, 2017
The boss abuses his role and didn't care 1 bit for staff and only for him self abuses contracts and blackmailed staff and will take you to court if you need up
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 7, 2017
The good thing about this company is they provide transportation and on Saturdays in the morning, the managers buy breakfast for everyone before being put in the field. There are daily bonuses, make a certain amount of sales you get cash today.
Pros
bonus transportation free food
Cons
weather and dogs
Great for a busy parent
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 31, 2017
I like the amount of hours that we work so that we can balance all other activities with work. There was not a workplace feel since we are out there by ourselves listening to music or talking on the phone while working peacefully in the night.
Pros
Nobody breathing down your neck
Cons
work every day of the year
Easy Job
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2017
You have to show up everyday but it's only for a few hours. Sat and Sun are the hardest but you get exercise daily. Only thing is it is hard on your car delivering all those papers, stop and go.
be your own boss
Private Contractor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43224February 7, 2017
you your own boss, able to spend time with family ..deliver of sales ads for up coming sales. always avail jobs also preparing a lot of driving and hours to get job done.
Generally fun place to work
Event Team Member (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 20, 2016
Scheduling was messy and I never knew when I was needed. The event aspect of the job was really funny and I enjoyed the other employees. However, I was disappointed by the lack of consistency overall
Was a good job.
District Support (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHSeptember 14, 2016
I really liked working for The Columbus Dispatch. I got to do various duties within the company. I worked within the warehouse, as well as out delivering or doing redeliveries.
Pros
Pay. Shortened hours
Cons
We got laid off
paper delivery
Paper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2016
when I worked for the Columbus dispatch, the work load was hard and time consuming. I delivered advertisements on the weekends door to door. I was responsible for going to the warehouse, picking up the advertisements, and preparing them in the bags before they got delivered. The hardest part for this job was putting the advertisements into the bags. this took the most time to do. Overall did enjoy working here and it was a great experience for me.
Pros
you was ale to work at your own pace as long as you got the job done before 6pm on sundays
Cons
rude people ate the warehouse
A job is what you make it out to be
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2016
You arrive at work, wait for the papers to arrive at the terminal in between go print your route off. Once you get your papers you count them to make sure you have enough for your route. Then prepare the papers to be delivered.
Pros
Only take about 3 hrs
Cons
Papers is not always on time
Carrier
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 22, 2016
I carry papers to houses and also have a driving route. I like the job because I can get around people. I have used it as a second job for six years on weekends to supplement my income.
Very long hours
District manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 19, 2016
The compensation was a plus with this company. However, working the 20 hour days, 7 days a week, left no time for sleep or family. Being a district manager was not easy. I would not get done until 9-10 at night and my phone would start ringing between 12 and 1 in the morning.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Little to no sleep or family time
Long days traveling in car and by foot.
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2015
A normal day would be driving to a nearby city and going door to door asking customers if they would like to sign up for the newspaper. I made $7.00 for every customer I got to sign up.
Cons
Poor pay, long days in different locations.
loved my contract. I was my own boss
Courier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2015
I did not work with other people. I was a contracted courier. The supervisor that dealt with our contracts was great. I went to the depot/ warehouse Wednesday and Friday to pick up my papers. I put them together at home, and delivered them the next day. No pressure, I worked at my own pace, and I only worked a total of 25 hours a week. what I enjoyed the most was that my kids could go with me.
A very collaborative workplace
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 10, 2015
I enjoy working here very much. Co-workers are professional but very approachable. Lots of talent here. Communication is the biggest challenge here as the Dispatch just got bought out and so job security is up in the are.
Early mornings and 7 days a week at times managing independant contractors and their contrantracts that were negotiated.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 5, 2015
Starting time at 2:00a.m. until 11:a.m. or longer as an on-going day. I have learned many skills with managing contracts and maintaining sales levels. Co-workers work together as a team on days off. The hardest part of the jog is keeping delivery areas contracted with dependable and reliable contractors. You build relationships through contract management which is refreshing at times.
Pros
Afternoons are generally free to get other things at home accomplished.
Cons
Difficult hours, rotating days off schedule, no breaks due to high volume of work, sometimes you work 7 days a week, you can be called in on your days off, you are constantly being e-mailed of situations beyond your control, and you judged by what others do.
Good pay Great hours
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 14, 2015
A typical week includes 5 days a week hours are wee early in the morning. Organization a must. Co workers are fun most of the time. The toughest part of the job is the winter. Sometimes it is required to work 7 days a week. The paper has to be delivered.
Pros
Great compensation package. plus you get paid for mileage.
Cons
In the winter hours can be long.
Press room supervisor
Printing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 13, 2015
A very fast pace operation. The Columbus Dispatch is a state of the art press with being the only 3 -around folder in the world. The Co-workers were knowledgeable, fun, and helpful.
Pros
Great company
Good people to work with
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work involved travel to different locations to sell newspaper subscriptions at stores, events, etc. The people were good to work with, the hardest part of the job was the traveling around, the most enjoyable part was meeting people.
Temporary Part time job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Galloway, OHFebruary 19, 2014
I worked in the warehouse at the Columbus Dispatch for around four months before I found something better. I put advertisements into the newspaper. Worked about 28 hours a week. I learned how much work was really put into the Columbus Dispatch. Management and co-workers were decent. Most people stayed to themselves. The hardest part of the job was trying to run numerous machines at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we were able to be around people and work at the same time.
Pros
Offered a lot of Overtime
Cons
Wasn't a guaranteed 40 hours every week