Columbus Dispatch Employee Reviews

paper delivery
Paper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2016
when I worked for the Columbus dispatch, the work load was hard and time consuming. I delivered advertisements on the weekends door to door. I was responsible for going to the warehouse, picking up the advertisements, and preparing them in the bags before they got delivered. The hardest part for this job was putting the advertisements into the bags. this took the most time to do. Overall did enjoy working here and it was a great experience for me.
Pros
you was ale to work at your own pace as long as you got the job done before 6pm on sundays
Cons
rude people ate the warehouse
A job is what you make it out to be
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2016
You arrive at work, wait for the papers to arrive at the terminal in between go print your route off. Once you get your papers you count them to make sure you have enough for your route. Then prepare the papers to be delivered.
Pros
Only take about 3 hrs
Cons
Papers is not always on time
Carrier
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 22, 2016
I carry papers to houses and also have a driving route. I like the job because I can get around people. I have used it as a second job for six years on weekends to supplement my income.
Very long hours
District manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 19, 2016
The compensation was a plus with this company. However, working the 20 hour days, 7 days a week, left no time for sleep or family. Being a district manager was not easy. I would not get done until 9-10 at night and my phone would start ringing between 12 and 1 in the morning.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Little to no sleep or family time
Long days traveling in car and by foot.
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2015
A normal day would be driving to a nearby city and going door to door asking customers if they would like to sign up for the newspaper. I made $7.00 for every customer I got to sign up.
Cons
Poor pay, long days in different locations.
loved my contract. I was my own boss
Courier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2015
I did not work with other people. I was a contracted courier. The supervisor that dealt with our contracts was great. I went to the depot/ warehouse Wednesday and Friday to pick up my papers. I put them together at home, and delivered them the next day. No pressure, I worked at my own pace, and I only worked a total of 25 hours a week. what I enjoyed the most was that my kids could go with me.
A very collaborative workplace
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 10, 2015
I enjoy working here very much. Co-workers are professional but very approachable. Lots of talent here. Communication is the biggest challenge here as the Dispatch just got bought out and so job security is up in the are.
Early mornings and 7 days a week at times managing independant contractors and their contrantracts that were negotiated.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 5, 2015
Starting time at 2:00a.m. until 11:a.m. or longer as an on-going day. I have learned many skills with managing contracts and maintaining sales levels. Co-workers work together as a team on days off. The hardest part of the jog is keeping delivery areas contracted with dependable and reliable contractors. You build relationships through contract management which is refreshing at times.
Pros
Afternoons are generally free to get other things at home accomplished.
Cons
Difficult hours, rotating days off schedule, no breaks due to high volume of work, sometimes you work 7 days a week, you can be called in on your days off, you are constantly being e-mailed of situations beyond your control, and you judged by what others do.
Good pay Great hours
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 14, 2015
A typical week includes 5 days a week hours are wee early in the morning. Organization a must. Co workers are fun most of the time. The toughest part of the job is the winter. Sometimes it is required to work 7 days a week. The paper has to be delivered.
Pros
Great compensation package. plus you get paid for mileage.
Cons
In the winter hours can be long.
Press room supervisor
Printing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 13, 2015
A very fast pace operation. The Columbus Dispatch is a state of the art press with being the only 3 -around folder in the world. The Co-workers were knowledgeable, fun, and helpful.
Pros
Great company
Good people to work with
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work involved travel to different locations to sell newspaper subscriptions at stores, events, etc. The people were good to work with, the hardest part of the job was the traveling around, the most enjoyable part was meeting people.
Temporary Part time job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Galloway, OHFebruary 19, 2014
I worked in the warehouse at the Columbus Dispatch for around four months before I found something better. I put advertisements into the newspaper. Worked about 28 hours a week. I learned how much work was really put into the Columbus Dispatch. Management and co-workers were decent. Most people stayed to themselves. The hardest part of the job was trying to run numerous machines at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we were able to be around people and work at the same time.
Pros
Offered a lot of Overtime
Cons
Wasn't a guaranteed 40 hours every week
Door-to-Door Salesman
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHFebruary 10, 2014
I had to sell customers a subscription to the Columbus Dispatch. I had became a manger for 2 years.
Pros
Kept me fit
Cons
Getting told no
Absolute great company to work for.
Circulation Zone Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioOctober 13, 2013
I reviewed performance on a daily basis and made the moves necessary to keep customer satisfaction as high as possible.
what I do
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 24, 2013
I get my cleaning supplies together, then I start sweeping the floors, then I will give them a good mop with wet signs around me, while I mop. I will then go and check the bathrooms and am always getting on my knees to give them a good thorough cleaning. I make sure stuff is very clean and I double check my work before I leave for the day.
work
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 6, 2013
work is easy and flexible and we use machines to process papers to create bulks of bundles for every person who subscribed to the company
Pros
workout center
Cons
short breaks
Calls
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 26, 2013
My day begins with the phones ringing and customers complaining about their service. My response is to resolve the situation as best I can.
Pros
A good place to work
Cons
Have to work every day no days off
Ok
Hopper Feeder (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 19, 2013
Its an okay job but could be better; workers are cool, others are rude, long day but overall okay.
Dispatch or Gannett?
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 16, 2013
Great place to work until we started the Cincinnati papers. Then Gannett was given the run of the pressroom.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
zero family time.
deliver
carrier (Former Employee) –  Newark ohMarch 17, 2013
I would get up early and deliver papers for the dispatch and each of months would go and collect the money ad would turn it in to my boss
Pros
hours
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbus Dispatch. Our community is ready to answer.