Columbus Metropolitan Library Employee Reviews

Fun, lots of interaction with public.
Youth Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 30, 2016
Great place to work, Emphasis on customer service and providing excellent experiences for our customers. Room for advancement and great benefits after 20+ hours.
Fufillling, but leaves much to be desired
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2016
Frequent changes in management and management style leaves some employees experiencing drastic changes to their jobs and frequently. The atmosphere is good, but I've watched morale deteriorate in recent months. I also don't feel like I can ascend from my position.
Pros
Fufilling, sometimes fun
Cons
can't climb the ladder, morale is quickly deteriorating
Rewarding but beuracratic.
Library Assistant, Help / Research Desk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2016
On a typical day I would get in and immediately man the information desk.
After a few hours of working on information resources, I would come off the desk and work on programming.
Occasionally I taught basic computer skills classes to patrons who had signed up.
Finally, I helped with stock control of books on the shelves.

My co workers were all bright and interested in people and books, as was I

The hardest part of the job was that the library system was chronically understaffed and did not do a very good job of allocating its personnel resources.
Because of this, educated professionals found themselves with schedules much like department store clerks, days here, evenings there, weekend thrown in from time to time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping patrons with research.
Pros
Working around curious and interested patrons and coworkers every day.
Cons
Working managers who were unable to be flexable in their scheduling, and whose bosses were inflexible in scheduling them.
Fake Perfect Job
Youth Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHAugust 12, 2016
It might seem like a great job during the interview but don't let them trick you. There are no benefits for part-time employees, just tacky.The management is passive aggressive and they'll whisper about you behind your back. The library requires people to go to meetings every month and holiday gatherings, even if you don't celebrate. It's very disrespectful and time consuming. What's even worse is this job only has 10 call off days A YEAR! I was fired because I missed work for a family member's funeral although I told my supervisor about it days before. These people are heartless and only care about making the company money. I don't think the entire metropolitan library is terrible (except the benefits, pay, and number of call offs) but the Southeast branch definitely needs management work. I would love to work at the metropolitan library again if they change their ways and raise their standards with management.
Pros
Fines erased from library cards
Cons
Everything but library card benefits and the customers
Great to work for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2016
Great organization to work for. Need degree for advancement, especially Library Science Degree. Excellent benefits when I worked there. Evolving technology. Can be physically demanding based on job.
Pros
Good benifits, enjoy interactions with public.
Cons
Need degrees for advancement.
Great People
Library Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2016
Always working to build better team chemistry, relaxed people to work with, even though some of the patrons of the library are a little stressful to deal with, and they are always thinking of ways to make the customer experience better
Pros
decent breaks, no uniform, great benefits
Cons
customers can be a little much at times
Great place!
it (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2015
What a great place to work! Wonderful mission, vision, and contribution to society.

CML provides great technology and services to the public and genuinely cares about what they do.
Fun workplace
Youth Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
CML is a great company to work for. They strive in excellence and create a great work environment. They care about their employees and their customers. it truly is about being open to all.
Productive workplace with strong values.
Technical Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2015
The Columbus Metropolitan Library is consistently upholding the core values of the employees and management that are expected from the community served. The organization offers an generous benefits package for its full-time staff.
Watch your back.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2015
Four days after filing a formal complaint against a supervisor, I was fired and denied a hearing. I tried to fight it, but attorneys cost too much money.
Pros
OPERS retirement
Cons
Keep most employees part-time to not provide benefits
Love It
Paid Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 6, 2015
I've been with the library for years and I love it, its very hard to get in but its worth the many tries. I work seasonally and to be honest, there are going to be come people who are annoying, but for the most part, its a relaxed day.
Pros
Relaxed Space
Cons
Very hard to get employed
Friendly and cooperative place to work. Team mentality.
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
The Columbus Library is a great place to work. Everyone works together as a team for one goal which is education in poverty areas of the city.
Fun and Hardworking Job
Summer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2014
We come in, greet both the librarians and the people that walk through the doors of the library with a warm smile and get people to sign up for our program called the "Summer Reading Program". What I've learned from this is that you can have fun even while you are working but you always will have to find ways to keep yourself preoccupied when nobody else is around. All the co-workers were both friendly and shared their opinions towards how we can spice up our counter and how we can manage all the programs going on in the summer.

As far as the hard part, we had a lot of people who didn't want to sign up and it was difficult trying to tell them that anyone can join, and you can receive rewards for doing so. The benefits for being a Volunteer is pretty good, I won't go so far into detail about what they are but, let's just say you will enjoy them after the program ends.
Pros
Ability to participate in programs, can schedule to take day off or if sick, Volunteer rewards
Cons
You can't leave your desk without anybody else being around, no eating around desk
Wonderful staff, and you feel like you matter.
Circulation Staff Aide (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 17, 2014
Worked in plenty of companies, and this is one of the very few that makes you feel like you matter. Work days are pretty simple, handle patron questions, circulate material, but you're always presented with options in your day to go above and beyond, and doing so pays out in dividends.
Pros
Great co-workers and benefits.
Cons
Working weekends
Would be awesome if it were full time
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Driving Park BranchSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day at work starts with me doing an interior rounds; while engaging with patrons and at times re-iterate the rules and policies of the library. This is continuous for most of the day. I unlock doors and secure others. I conduct a walk around the exterior and parking lots to ensure no damages or incidence are present. At closing after I or another co-worker has made the final closing announcement; I began a building sweep to ensure all patrons have exited.I then lock doors and escort all staff at same time to cars. After all workers have left the lot; I proceed home.
Pros
great bebefits
Cons
only part time
A rewarding work environment
Vehicle Operator/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2014
Able to provide children with the opportunity to learn and grow. On any given day I prep my assigned vehicle (maintenance check) and I gather equipment (computers, scanners, library cards, reciept paper, books and book bags) to visit schools and daycare centers.

Each day I learn something new about ways to help particular children understand letters, words, behaviors, and how to use them together.

The job is minimally supervised. Any issues are texted or e mailed to my direct team lead.

The 'hardest' part of my job is watching the kids that we've grown to know and help move on to the next level of elementary school. The 'most enjoyable' part of the job is watching the kids that we've got to know and help move on to the next level of elementary school.
Pros
The library is a wonderful place to work all around.
Cons
Job title and department are being dissolved so I must move on.
c
Customer Service Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 25, 2014
Get place to work and good retirement plan. All that you love about a library is the same for working there.
Fun
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day at work involved helping people and their children sign up for the summer reading program. i learned social skills and i learned how to work under some pressure. i enjoyed the the managers taught us and treated us. my co-workers were quite relatable. the hardest part of the job was the chaos sometimes. the most enjoyable part was the contact with other people
Fun Workplace helping Kids
Customer Service -Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2014
Helping kids sign up for summer reading program, helping them read and get ready for the next school year.
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 26, 2013
Great place to work folks at my branch have your back. Typical day is pretty quiet. Good management hardest part dealing with not complaint customers. Best day seeing regular customers.
Pros
GOOD PEOPLE TO WORK WITH
Cons
MORE PAY

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbus Metropolitan Library. Our community is ready to answer.

Columbus Metropolitan Library Reviews by Location