Columbus Metropolitan Library Employee Reviews in United States

Productive workplace with strong values.
Technical Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2015
The Columbus Metropolitan Library is consistently upholding the core values of the employees and management that are expected from the community served. The organization offers an generous benefits package for its full-time staff.
Watch your back.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2015
Four days after filing a formal complaint against a supervisor, I was fired and denied a hearing. I tried to fight it, but attorneys cost too much money.
Pros
OPERS retirement
Cons
Keep most employees part-time to not provide benefits
Fun and Hardworking Job
Summer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2014
We come in, greet both the librarians and the people that walk through the doors of the library with a warm smile and get people to sign up for our program called the "Summer Reading Program". What I've learned from this is that you can have fun even while you are working but you always will have to find ways to keep yourself preoccupied when nobody else is around. All the co-workers were both friendly and shared their opinions towards how we can spice up our counter and how we can manage all the programs going on in the summer.

As far as the hard part, we had a lot of people who didn't want to sign up and it was difficult trying to tell them that anyone can join, and you can receive rewards for doing so. The benefits for being a Volunteer is pretty good, I won't go so far into detail about what they are but, let's just say you will enjoy them after the program ends.
Pros
ability to participate in programs, can schedule to take day off or if sick, volunteer rewards
Cons
you can't leave your desk without anybody else being around, no eating around desk
Fun workplace
Youth Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
CML is a great company to work for. They strive in excellence and create a great work environment. They care about their employees and their customers. it truly is about being open to all.
Great place!
it (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2015
What a great place to work! Wonderful mission, vision, and contribution to society.

CML provides great technology and services to the public and genuinely cares about what they do.
Wonderful staff, and you feel like you matter.
Circulation Staff Aide (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 17, 2014
Worked in plenty of companies, and this is one of the very few that makes you feel like you matter. Work days are pretty simple, handle patron questions, circulate material, but you're always presented with options in your day to go above and beyond, and doing so pays out in dividends.
Pros
great co-workers and benefits.
Cons
working weekends
Love It
Paid Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 6, 2015
I've been with the library for years and I love it, its very hard to get in but its worth the many tries. I work seasonally and to be honest, there are going to be come people who are annoying, but for the most part, its a relaxed day.
Pros
Relaxed Space
Cons
Very hard to get employed
Great place to work, surrounded by information and facinating people
Front Desk Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioSeptember 18, 2013
Welcoming library customers and issuing library cards to hungry minds I learned how to help customers find information in the library and work with a diverse population of people and cultures. My coworkers were interesting and welcoming.
The hardest part of my job was ibnforming people of their overdue fines sometimes to the point of them not being able to check out the materials they has spenr time selecting.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people who came in on a regular basis that I became familiar with on a first name basis, the volunteers and having access to a diverse collection of books. I didn't realize fully how awesome CML was until I moved to Arizona, it is one of the best library systems in the country.
Pros
feeling part of the community we served
Cons
theft of purses left by customers on tables
A rewarding work environment
Vehicle Operator/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2014
Able to provide children with the opportunity to learn and grow. On any given day I prep my assigned vehicle (maintenance check) and I gather equipment (computers, scanners, library cards, reciept paper, books and book bags) to visit schools and daycare centers.

Each day I learn something new about ways to help particular children understand letters, words, behaviors, and how to use them together.

The job is minimally supervised. Any issues are texted or e mailed to my direct team lead.

The 'hardest' part of my job is watching the kids that we've grown to know and help move on to the next level of elementary school. The 'most enjoyable' part of the job is watching the kids that we've got to know and help move on to the next level of elementary school.
Pros
the library is a wonderful place to work all around.
Cons
job title and department are being dissolved so i must move on.
Would be awesome if it were full time
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Driving Park BranchSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day at work starts with me doing an interior rounds; while engaging with patrons and at times re-iterate the rules and policies of the library. This is continuous for most of the day. I unlock doors and secure others. I conduct a walk around the exterior and parking lots to ensure no damages or incidence are present. At closing after I or another co-worker has made the final closing announcement; I began a building sweep to ensure all patrons have exited.I then lock doors and escort all staff at same time to cars. After all workers have left the lot; I proceed home.
Pros
great bebefits
Cons
only part time
A Library with a Heart
Homework Help Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 19, 2013
My day is filled with providing assistance and resources for customers of all ages. Enjoy great co-workers that work along side me to bring hope to a diverse community. We develop family, children and teen programs that are fun but resourceful. We also establish relationships with local school administration, provide class visits, and college/career workshops. The most enjoyable part of my day is mentoring children and teens.
Friendly and cooperative place to work. Team mentality.
Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
The Columbus Library is a great place to work. Everyone works together as a team for one goal which is education in poverty areas of the city.
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 26, 2013
Great place to work folks at my branch have your back. Typical day is pretty quiet. Good management hardest part dealing with not complaint customers. Best day seeing regular customers.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
more pay
Fun
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day at work involved helping people and their children sign up for the summer reading program. i learned social skills and i learned how to work under some pressure. i enjoyed the the managers taught us and treated us. my co-workers were quite relatable. the hardest part of the job was the chaos sometimes. the most enjoyable part was the contact with other people
A learning, new experience, and positive challenging environment of work.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 30, 2012
It is easy to get along and work with my co-workers and management.
Progressive and goal oriented.
Coordinator of the Homework Help Center (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 16, 2012
The Columbus Metropolitan library is an excellent place to work. There are many changes happening to modernize it's purpose and become the forefront of information technology.
its not very stressfull job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 2, 2013
A typical day is check out truck, then load I get along with the people at the library .branches. Then at the end of the day I unload
and sort the boxes for other drivers to take out
Cons
its hard to take breaks
c
Customer Service Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 25, 2014
Get place to work and good retirement plan. All that you love about a library is the same for working there.
Fun Workplace helping Kids
Customer Service -Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2014
Helping kids sign up for summer reading program, helping them read and get ready for the next school year.
Cml
Application Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 11, 2013
Needed managerial improvement, overal nice company to work for

4.3