Columbus Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

productive and fun
Instructional Aide - Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  columbus ohMay 13, 2016
A job is what you make it your path is what you take if it works for you then that is great. If you like it I love it. Obtain all the information you can. Always be excellent and then your will be your best. Never settle for less. what happens for one does not mean it is going to happen for you. set your goal high in your employment here will be fine.
Pros
benifits compensations security
Cons
contracts advancement loyalty
School district that works hard to ensure students's needs are met
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2016
Columbus City School works hard to ensure all students' needs are met. The teachers and administrators are top notch. There are a lot of services that this public school provides to the students and the guardians/parents.
Why Columbus Public Schools is a good place to work
Custodian II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 3, 2015
Good place to work students, teachers and staff are great people to work with. Opportunity to grow and learn skills about the importance of the up keep bf buildings and facilities.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
shift subject to change
Unsatisfactory
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2015
CCS is a public entity that relies on public and federal funding and they would pass students along and not require excellence from their students.
Pros
Education for students
Cons
Poor leadership
Enjoy creating a safe learning enviroment that meets each childs needs.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus,OhioJuly 8, 2015
The students are a joy and a blessing to be with. Working with children is my life and its so rewarding to see them blossom each day.
Columbus has a great school system
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 12, 2015
Many of the schools have a great staff. Its very rewarding being a teacher.As a substitute the great part is traveling from different school and meeting new students.
Great work environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
• Taught courses in accordance with published course descriptions, schedules, procedures and
course outlines.
• Work with principal to assess and modify course and program goals, objectives, methods and
content.
• Conduct on-going evaluation of student progress and maintain records of student course/class
performance.
• Prepare and submit grade reports and other reports on student performance as may be
scheduled or required.
• Conduct class evaluations and complete other school evaluations in accordance with school
policy.
Art teacher in middle school.
Departmental Chairperson (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 26, 2014
I was responsible for the fine arts program for 6-8 grade, working with 600-800 students per year. I taught all phases of art, including painting, drawing, ceramics, art history, fiber arts some photography and sculpture. I loved working with that age group. It was a large city school system with forced busing, which sometimes made it difficult for the students to have good attendance records.
I also tutored homebound students after school. I taught the Saturday school program which was in school detention versus suspension. I was department chairperson for the Unified Arts Department and I also coached girls volleyball for a few years. Introducing art and different cultures to my students was a fantastic experience.
Pros
making my own curriculum.
Cons
having students for only a six week rotation.
law enforcement teacher ohio peace officer commander
law enforcement teacher instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 28, 2014
teach and prepare high school seniors and juniors for law enforcement careers.
Pros
pay it forward as i was in law enforcement 36 years
Cons
columbus city schools data scrubbing scandal on going
Drive school bus.
Certified School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  City Of Columbus.July 21, 2014
Drive school bus inner city. The kid were great. The parents not so much. liked being my own boss.

Want to know more about Columbus Public Schools?

Ask a question
Assistant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MTApril 24, 2014
A typical day at work was getting to my desk and starting on the claims and paperwork. I was in an office with only one other person and it is a very busy office, so not a lot of communication with the other person. I was only part time, 2 days a week and not always 2 days, if there was nothing to do, it was just 1 day a week.
Advancement? Politics! Dog chasing his tail!
X (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioDecember 24, 2013
Great job, but elementary has TOO many women, needs to be more diversified! Promotions are basically a MIRAGE. A person can look at jobs on the board but the chances of obtaining a PROMOTION is SLIM. Promotion, meaning-(more money and responsibility) A person can obtain a lateral job easy. People from the outside get hired easier than a current employee for many positions! CURRENT EMPLOYEES SHOULD HAVE PROMOTION OPPORTUNITY BEFORE AN OUTSIDE PERSON! and at least interviewed first.
Pros
off during the summer, off by 3:30 or 4:00 daily, great health insurance
Cons
very political; slim chance of promotion, unless it is a low level job!
Instructional Assistant
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2013
I love working for Columbus Public Schools. I work with MD kids. I've worked on and off for the schools.
Pros
love working with kids who have disabilities
Cons
healthcare
Really enjoyed my time at BE
Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 15, 2013
Good company, room for growth for driven and qualified individuals, compensation could be better but it's fair, loved my co-workers and most management.
I Love My Job
Teaching Instructional Assistant Special Education (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 26, 2013
Good Place to work, pleasent atmosphere never a dull moment with the staff and children.
Great place to work, and has multiple opportunities for compenstion
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 10, 2013
started at 7, set up for the days lessons, had a hallway and lunch duty. management was ok, not always approachable. Didn't have hard part, but enjoyed seeing young people achieve
Pros
hours
Cons
payed hours, no benefits
Vital to student education- fulfilling, yet stressful
Secretary 1 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 21, 2013
The most difficult part is working with the parents of students who want something for their student that is not possible or advisable.
Pros
regular hours
Cons
not open to new suggestions
I enjoyed doing my job
Head Custodian (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2013
Really enjoyed job. Learnedto repairlighting plumbing, furniture equipment to perform work.Management had their good points as well as bad,just keep doing the job the best I can. Some of the workers were fine ,others were looking to get out of work. Keeping everyone happy all the time.Knowing that what I would do would make a difference
Pros
working
Cons
a lot of drama
worked with great teachers and school psychologists
Administrative Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2013
Was constantly busy, maintained 10.000 special ed students' records, typed reports, filed. Working with great people in administration and in the school. Hardest was the workload, took work home on the week-ends.
Pros
recognition, they appreciated your efforts.
Cons
workload
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioOctober 27, 2012
This was a job to prepare me for a possible career in teaching. I learned how to work with multiple personalities to achieve great results.

4.4