Columbus Public Schools Employee Reviews

Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2017
They are flexible and work well with new employees. I enjoyed my time there and would suggest this as a good opportunity. The pay was good and the benefits were great.
Awesome
Instructional Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2017
This company worked very hard at making sure that the customer left a happy customer. The training's were helpful to ensure that the employee could be successful there in the office.
The disparity is overwhelming
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 21, 2017
I experienced guilt when working with Columbus public city schools. In order to feel safe I had to choose the neighborhood I was willing to work. It made me feel terrible that children are forced to be in neighborhoods that were not equal to schools placed in other neighborhoods and the equipment was dispersed so unequally.
Typical work day
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 21, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with kids I love working with children. I also love driving the school bus. I learned alot about how to deal with conflict as well as how to handle language barriers. There many days that I may find myself helping out with other routes due to the absence of another employee which is ok sometimes, however if it becomes a consistent issue to where I can't drive my own route because I'm driving someone else's that makes it hard. I say that because my children need stability. Management has changed a lot since I started. Management could handle many things differently, however they are certainly not the worst company I've worked for.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
Many Management decisions
fun workout
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 13, 2016
What I learn is patience is very important as a positive attitude. And working as a team is more effective. Meeting new people was a plus and being able to teach different subject matter.
Pros
helping students learn in a healthy environment
Cons
not enough pay
very insightful and pleasant programs to work with.
Parent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 6, 2016
the reason i rated the columbus public schools and 4 was because of the hard work and the strenuous efforts that go into planning, and developing curriculum, after curriculum, so no child will be left behind, however what seems to be missing, is training students to learn how to learn, how to get the sense of what their being taught, and this would require the parents getting involve with the education process at home, the children i raised new how read and comprehen what they've read, before entering school, this is a huge part of teaching children to learn how to learn, and that way, they';re minds can adapt to challenges, in problem solving, critical thinking, and the like. that's what and where the ball is heavy at. but once we've gotten over that hugh bump, our children will be among the best in the world again,
Pros
sportsmanship in all things/enjoying school
Cons
less negativiety and more versility
Fun and prductive work environment where you work with a diverse professional group of people
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 10, 2016
Fun and productive environment. Was able to interact with all the clients and workers in a positive way. The administrators are friendly and fair. Had a great culture and expectation for learning.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
low pay
productive and fun
Instructional Aide - Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  columbus ohMay 13, 2016
A job is what you make it your path is what you take if it works for you then that is great. If you like it I love it. Obtain all the information you can. Always be excellent and then your will be your best. Never settle for less. what happens for one does not mean it is going to happen for you. set your goal high in your employment here will be fine.
Pros
benifits compensations security
Cons
contracts advancement loyalty
School district that works hard to ensure students's needs are met
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2016
Columbus City School works hard to ensure all students' needs are met. The teachers and administrators are top notch. There are a lot of services that this public school provides to the students and the guardians/parents.
Why Columbus Public Schools is a good place to work
Custodian II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 3, 2015
Good place to work students, teachers and staff are great people to work with. Opportunity to grow and learn skills about the importance of the up keep bf buildings and facilities.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
shift subject to change
Unsatisfactory
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2015
CCS is a public entity that relies on public and federal funding and they would pass students along and not require excellence from their students.
Pros
Education for students
Cons
Poor leadership
Enjoy creating a safe learning enviroment that meets each childs needs.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus,OhioJuly 8, 2015
The students are a joy and a blessing to be with. Working with children is my life and its so rewarding to see them blossom each day.
Columbus has a great school system
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 12, 2015
Many of the schools have a great staff. Its very rewarding being a teacher.As a substitute the great part is traveling from different school and meeting new students.
Great work environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2015
• Taught courses in accordance with published course descriptions, schedules, procedures and
course outlines.
• Work with principal to assess and modify course and program goals, objectives, methods and
content.
• Conduct on-going evaluation of student progress and maintain records of student course/class
performance.
• Prepare and submit grade reports and other reports on student performance as may be
scheduled or required.
• Conduct class evaluations and complete other school evaluations in accordance with school
policy.
Art teacher in middle school.
Departmental Chairperson (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 26, 2014
I was responsible for the fine arts program for 6-8 grade, working with 600-800 students per year. I taught all phases of art, including painting, drawing, ceramics, art history, fiber arts some photography and sculpture. I loved working with that age group. It was a large city school system with forced busing, which sometimes made it difficult for the students to have good attendance records.
I also tutored homebound students after school. I taught the Saturday school program which was in school detention versus suspension. I was department chairperson for the Unified Arts Department and I also coached girls volleyball for a few years. Introducing art and different cultures to my students was a fantastic experience.
Pros
Making my own curriculum.
Cons
Having students for only a six week rotation.
law enforcement teacher ohio peace officer commander
law enforcement teacher instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 28, 2014
teach and prepare high school seniors and juniors for law enforcement careers.
Pros
pay it forward as I was in law enforcement 36 years
Cons
Columbus City Schools data scrubbing scandal on going
Drive school bus.
Certified School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  City Of Columbus.July 21, 2014
Drive school bus inner city. The kid were great. The parents not so much. liked being my own boss.
Assistant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MTApril 24, 2014
A typical day at work was getting to my desk and starting on the claims and paperwork. I was in an office with only one other person and it is a very busy office, so not a lot of communication with the other person. I was only part time, 2 days a week and not always 2 days, if there was nothing to do, it was just 1 day a week.
Advancement? Politics! Dog chasing his tail!
X (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioDecember 24, 2013
Great job, but elementary has TOO many women, needs to be more diversified! Promotions are basically a MIRAGE. A person can look at jobs on the board but the chances of obtaining a PROMOTION is SLIM. Promotion, meaning-(more money and responsibility) A person can obtain a lateral job easy. People from the outside get hired easier than a current employee for many positions! CURRENT EMPLOYEES SHOULD HAVE PROMOTION OPPORTUNITY BEFORE AN OUTSIDE PERSON! and at least interviewed first.
Pros
Off during the summer, Off by 3:30 or 4:00 daily, Great health insurance
Cons
Very political; slim chance of promotion, unless it is a low level job!
Instructional Assistant
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2013
I love working for Columbus Public Schools. I work with MD kids. I've worked on and off for the schools.
Pros
Love working with kids who have disabilities
Cons
Healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbus Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3