Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Employer Reviews

bunch of kids work there
Ride Operator (Former Employee), Powell, OHJune 10, 2014
Pros: free parking and u get in for free. after that u pay for everything
Cons: n/a
this company. has a bunch of kids that work here that don't know what they r doing. its a summer job. these kids don't know how to work on a ride if it breaks down. its more like a hang out. thn come 2 work & work.
Fun Workplace, Great Staff
Experiential Marketing Intern (Current Employee), Powell, OHApril 29, 2014
I enjoyed the working there thoroughly. Every day was unique. One day we could be doing event set up and the next day we could be working an event at the Crew, Blue Jackets, Etc.
The managers were always helpful and had a positive attitude.
Unique and lively workplace
Shores Region Zookeeper (Former Employee), Powell, OHJanuary 22, 2014
Lot of work, little reward (it was an internship), but very fun to work with the animals.
Seeing the animals everyday.
cook/ cashier (Former Employee), Powell, OHNovember 4, 2013
Pros: riding the train for free.
Cons: long drive.
Walking into the zoo and first we clock in and check in. Check in tells you were you are working for the day and what will you being doing such as cooking or cashier. I worked the dippin dots stand a lot, cotton candy, and I would cook inside the polar grille.

I learned so many different facts about the animals each day. I would take my breaks inside – more... the polar house and watch the interesting videos they had going on and see what I could learn about them since polar bears are my favorite animal its a amazing what you can learn from the zoo.

Management was not to bad there were a few times I thought that manager wouldn't listen to me and my co workers on what was going on, Like how some things wouldn't sell or what we could try and sell something new.

My co workers were fun but really lazy at times. they always thought it was play time when there were times we really needed to get things done which drove me insane, it made me feel like I was doing all the work.

The hardest part about my job would have been trying to keep my cool about my co workers when they weren't doing there job.

The most enjoyable part about my job was seeing the animals everyday on my breaks and after work and learning something new. – less
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Adult Volunteer (Current Employee), Powell, OHMay 29, 2013
Pros: some "behind the scenes" tours, pick your own hours, working with people, know about things happening at the zoo before the public, sometimes open after hours for just volunteers and employees, great discounts on food and zoo merchandise
Cons: 1.5 hour drive for me.
I am currently an adult volunteer at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. On a typical day at the zoo I work in "animal contact" areas such as the Kangaroo Walkabout, the Reptile Lab, the Touch Pool, and Animal Ambassadors. In each of these areas I keep an "eye" on the animals and interact with the guests about the animals being displayed. I answer any questions – more... they may have. In the Reptile Lab and the Touch Pool I let guests know how they should properly pet the animals on display such as snakes, turtles, starfish, crabs, etc. I have learned a lot about the animals at the zoo while volunteering there. I really couldn't ask for better management or co-workers. They're all very nice and have helped me during my time of an unexpected drop in my blood sugar. They're always there, with a smile on their face, to answer any questions that I may have. The hardest part of my job is having to tell the children that they can't hold the animals in the Reptile Lab and Touch Pool, but only pet them. The look on their faces when they are told "no" breaks my heart. The most enjoyable part about my job is being able to get out there and educate people about each animal and conservation. I enjoy being able to interact with the public and other people who care about the animals and conservation just as much or even more than I do; I also love their reactions when they learn something new about the animals on display. It makes me feel great to be apart of what people call the number one zoo in America! – less
Fun and people friendly environment
Cotton Candy maker (Former Employee), Powell, OHMarch 13, 2013
Pros: free admission and seeing all the animals while on break
Cons: breaks seemed very short only because you have to walk to the other side of he zoo to get food.
Making cotton candy all day. I really didn't learn much at this job it was pretty basic and the place I worked was very isolated. The best part was the actual making of the cotton candy mixing colors and flavors.
Nice perks
Retail Cashier (Former Employee), Powell, OHJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: got very boring
I liked that I could go to the zoo or zoombezi bay for free and that I was working around all the animals.
Making guests visit a life time experience with lasting memories.
Guest Relations Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OhioSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: smiles all day long.
Cons: dealing with bad weather.
The job involves providing guests with information about the zoo, it's a job that has taught me the importance of diversity in a community and work environment. My co- workers are from all over the world and have brought a lot of education from their native homes and have shared that with everyone. The hardest part of the job in not being in control – more... of the weather, and besides that its a fun job to do as it involves making guests holiday a great visit with life time memories. – less
Awesome people, terrible management!
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Powell, OhioMarch 20, 2012
Pros: friendly people
Cons: management, hours
The people you work with will become your best friends! You will spend more time with your coworkers than your family. The management treats you like animals. They will schedule you for more than 70 hours a week. Often times you will not get off-stand for the first 6 hours. As a lifeguard the management doesn't listen to your opinion. Working here is – more... very political. Don't get me wrong. I worked here for the first 5 years Zoombezi Bay was open. I LOVED IT. After 5 years of not moving up or having an opinion, it's time to move on. Very fun environment, ton of hours if you can stand to be treated poorly. – less