Combined Insurance Employee Reviews

Challenging and Rewarding
Life and Health Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 19, 2016
The company is very competitive in the market with regards to coverage benefits and pricing. Management sees to it that employees are very well motivated and informed with regards to product knowledge and legalities through their regular market meetings. Territory Managers made sure that their members are well informed of any changes in policies or new and upcoming products. They also make sure that agents are very well motivated through their group meetings at least twice a week. The hardest part of this job is the initial contact with clients in establishing rapport for the first time which we call the "approach". Surveying or what we call "Door Knocking" is the most challenging part of the job because you do not know who you are dealing with at first compared to setting up appointments in which you already have established your initial contact information and have already convinced your prospect to sit down with you on a particular day and time. This job is very challenging and very rewarding if you work hard for it.
combined insurance
Benefit Advisor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 20, 2016
The outlets of combined, as in the territories that have alternate management struggle with keeping agents. At end of day the culture was APV.
There needed to be more structural training with management with communication.
This is a position of servicing clients and i found it hard to just service clients and then have management only concerned about a sale which help their numbers for the quarter.
Another hardship was being used to promote managers plan and put your time to assist and sacrifice sales and not get promoted, being the reason that production of numbers were only looked at.
There was a lack of promoting within even when VP commented that hiring from outside does not work and employees don't last. The past 5 years proved statistic and still there is a passing over those who have dedicated time to be promoted.
Fun work environment
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYNovember 17, 2016
Combined insurance provided a lot of room for advancement and its management team kept the work fun and enjoyable while also productive and strategic. We were given our leads but we also called call if we wanted to. The money was great and the team aspect was also phenomenal.
The company was a great steppimg stone for future opportunities.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 20, 2016
I enjoyed the associates I worked with, although I did not prefer the company's marketing techniques. Working on a commission only pay scale taught me how to better manage my income and plan for future events. The management staff was very knowledgeable and willing to assist with difficult situations when needed, including ongoing hands on training for reoccurring events. I felt the most difficult aspect of insurance sales was the marketing; primarily the "cold calls", which at times was very challenging, even with and extremely outgoing personality. I did, however, find great satisfaction in assisting others with their insurance and financial needs, as well as taking pride in achieving awards for hard work and dedication.
Pros
Very flexible work schedule, as you are in control of all appointments.
Cons
Inconsistant pay from week to week.

Comment – November 7, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our company and for complementing our training school. It is our goal to make sure our agents are prepared for success during training and that they receive ongoing support once they are in the field. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with us, as our aim is to offer a positive employment experience to those in the field and our corporate offices. We will ensure to share your feedback with our leadership. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Recognition, PMA, Helpful Management, and Full Benefits
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 7, 2016
Love the structure of Combined Insurance they provide everything to their sales people to be successful. Meaning material is free, the state test is 75% paid for, Agent Development Program (ADP) programs at least 4 times a year, weekly and monthly bonuses, positive reinforcement from their Territory Manager, and the opportunity to choose what career path you would like to pursue.

In addition to all of that above a full benefits package, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, and employee stock purchase plan. However, the caveat to all of these things are that you have to be willing to open your car door to go to work, so physical action to work and having a positive mental attitude (PMA).
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Your own accountability to go to work
New places and people everyday
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2016
I went to and meet new places and people everyday. I Learned how to sell insurance. Management was very knowledgeable and helpful in this business. Daily driving to unknown places.
Pros
Great Training Structure
Cons
Went to areas that were very sketchy
It was a position that required a lot of cold and warm calling customers.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2017
I think things have changed for the average in field person, but when I was working there it was a challenging in field position. You had a set number of clients to collect premiums from and then you were required to do cold calling and up selling. Your workday usually started after a meeting with your local team. Then you worked an area that might be in your neighborhood or an hour away. We traveled several times a month.

I learned a lot about insurance, claim processes, and different options to purchase/sell. I also got a chance to see a lot of the state and the kind people within it. However, unless you are very money driven, it is not for you. I did not enjoy driving great distances to then go cold call. It has limited structure.
Great Company
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Work from homeDecember 19, 2016
Good company with a passion to help you succeed and build your own business. You have a lot of room to grow with this company ..................,,,,,,
Pros
Good benifits and offer you w-2 in commission sales
Cons
Commission sales only
All work and no pay makes Johnny a very poor boy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 8, 2016
Cult-like atmosphere, very long hours with nothing to show for, no leads, must knock on doors all day, everyday and here "NO" all the time. I made about $600 in 4 months only because I cross-sold to clients in my existing book of business. Don't expect miracles here.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, no leads, hard work, cult-like atmosphere

Comment – January 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our company and for listing training as a “pro.” Our agents prepare for success in our in-house, week long training school. As you mentioned, our agents are responsible for driving to meet their clients, building relationships, networking, and selling the value of our products. We realize sales is not for everyone, and it’s clear this was not a good fit for you. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

The training was lacking
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTOctober 4, 2016
Lot's of canvasing to small business. All commission-based, vary little help if any on lead generation from management. Make your own hours, and an Excellent product line.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
All Commission based.
Great company to work for; solid; debt free;
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 2, 2016
Must be a hard worker to exist in this sales environment. The job work life balance is not easy as a beginner. If you want to be successful must work long hours at first and may not have very much time for family. However the management is good and you are given great training initially and on going. Leads are provided which is a plus. Great sales incentive
Pros
Great training program; great management
Cons
No base salary after a month; establishing a book of business is not easy
Great benefits
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 4, 2017
Combined Insurance offers great training and benefits. Headquartered In Illinois, they start by sending you to Chicago for a weeks training. Training is ongoing.

Comment – January 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our company! As you mentioned, we offer a week long, in-house training session for our new agents to prepare them for success in the field. We routinely receive positive feedback about our training program which includes ongoing training and development programs. Our agents have the ability to earn a virtually unlimited income based on the volume of their sales, and we offer a comprehensive benefits package. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Protecting families is very rewarding.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Bohemia, NYAugust 4, 2016
I spend my day calling families and businesses to schedule weekly appointments to present supplemental health programs that pay cash directly to them in case of accident or sickness. There is a very strong team effort where co-workers share their success stories. The hardest part of the job is getting 20 + appointments per week. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have protected families from financial crisis when someone gets sick or in an accident. My clients are very grateful they have these policies and an agent who will work with them to get their claims filed.
Pros
big bonuses when you hit goal
Cons
100% Commission
It's a job
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  North Central, PANovember 12, 2016
This company as with any company, you can be successful if you believe in yourself and the goals at hand. I believe in myself, I have to talk myself into going to work everyday. I recommend you give Combined a try if money is your only motivation.
Pros
You can make money
Cons
This is a 9am to 9pm job. Six days a week.

Comment – November 17, 2016

Thank you for reviewing our company. We especially appreciate hearing from our current employees. We agree with you that to be successful as an agent at Combined you must be self-driven and goal-oriented. Our agents have the ability to earn a virtually unlimited income and help policyholders get the protection they need at the same time. Thank you again for your feedback, and we wish you all the best in your career here with us!

Great Motivational Company to work for - For the New Agent!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 20, 2016
You get to learn how to really sell at Sales School in Chicago well actually Brookfield, Illinois for two weeks. You get trained on the Success System that Never Fails. I have fun learning about W. Clement Stone, the author of The Success System that Never Fails and his methods for creating the PMA. Positive Mental Attitude Movement. I re-learned how to motivate myself for Direct Selling. IF you're not a people person or a person who doesn't like SELLING, this company is NOT for you. I got a great bonus during the summer and was able to finance a brand new car and create amazing goals for myself. The District Manager and the State Director are Extraordinary. I learned a lot about myself as an insurance agent!
Pros
Extraordinary Sales Training
Cons
supplemental insurance only products
Diverse company with many locations throughout the country
Agent (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILDecember 9, 2016
Sales school is a big plus. It definitely will provide an individual with a good basis and approach for making sales in the field.
Although it can become difficult to maintain productivity due to weather constraints and canvassing for leads.
Pros
Sales school
Cons
cold calling and weather constraints

Comment – January 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time as a current employee to share your valuable insights. We routinely receive positive feedback about our week long, in-house training, and we appreciate that you shared it provides “individuals with a good basis and approach for making sales in the field.” We strive to prepare our agents for success both during in –house training and after in the field with ongoing training. We wish you all the best in your career here with us!

Fun place to work with excellent training
Sales (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYNovember 7, 2016
I have been working here for over five years now and couldn't be happier. It was everything I could imagine and more. Not only is the money great but the trips are awesome too. Anyone thinking about coming on board should definitely do it.
Pros
Great commission and trips
Cons
Healthcare just like the rest of America.

Comment – January 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share this positive review! As a current employee, we especially appreciate your insights.Our agents have a virtually unlimited income potential based on the volume of their sales, and we incentivize our agents with bonuses, special awards, and trips. And, we are happy to hear that you see it as a “pro.” We wish you all the best in your future here with us!

Field Training need improvement
Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 24, 2016
I was well trained by the trainers, I was even flown to IIlinois to achieve the proper training. But when you get back to sell there is a breakdown in the field training it is a diasater
Wonderful company
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYDecember 29, 2015
Wonderful company, excellent training

Going door to door selling supplemental insurance, it's a difficult career with little support from the Manager. Coworkers always want to meet to support each other and are often quite helpful. The hardest part of the job is being told "no" numerous times on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job, meeting and interacting with various clients.
Cons
Commission salary is very difficult to survive on financially
Challenging but rewarding job opportunity
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 5, 2016
Daily tasks include generating appointments and leads for products. Consultative sales approach to new and existing clients. Sales life cycle from opening to close and servicing existing policy holders.

The hardest part of the job is generating appointments to close sales.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Combined Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.