Comfort Keepers Employee Reviews

A day in the life...
Care Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Inverness, FLMarch 31, 2014
Wake knowing no matter how well you plan your day or week, know it will change at any moment. It is a 24/7 job. The coordination of staff and clients needs. typical day would be me taking a caregiver to a client, explaining all there is about the home as well as the needs and details of the client. Home visits thorough out the day to make sure staff is doing the job, the client is happy with our services. Leavin supplies for carestaff. Checking on the client in general, asking questions about health, nutrition, memory, making sure we are not missing anything in their care, any underling news to report to family, or POA. Be advocate for client and staff to best of my abilities.

I learned a ton about Alzheimers, as well as Dementia, how to be a good listener and able to read between the lines to discover what the needs of the client will be. I learned how to develop healthy working relations with clients, family, and outside care members. How to be mindful of staff needs as well.

It is important that the staff is well taken care of and respected, if not the care we send out in the field is not going to be a healthy responsible choice on the companies part. It will ultimately affect the client, and that can't happen.

The hardest part of the job, is to not take it home.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was building personal honest relationships with the clients, their families and or guardians. Some of my favorites are the ones that to others are the more difficult cases. I truly enjoied the relationships and trust built between myself, the clients, and staff. * Knowing
  more... I can help make a difference in the lives of those who cant help themselves anymore, or who need even just a little help to get back on their feet. To advocate for their needs and wants.  less
Pros
trusted by owners to know that i will be loyal and do my job with little supervision.
They will make you feel worthless
CNA (Former Employee) –  Cajon, CAOctober 1, 2013
working for this company was a big mistake! they make you feel so special, and tell you that out of 100 they only choose 3 to work for them. that is not true! they say they care for their employees thats a big lie. they like to hire really nice people that they think they can walk all over. Management is terrible, I mean this ladies are bullies and seem to treat younger women the worst. they make you drive so far away and get mad at you for refusing to work 2 hours with really short notice when sometimes just driving to the place takes close to 1 hour! if a client cancels you dont get paid. theres a lot of jealosy towards carevigers from management. most of the clients who can afford them will treat you live maids, and their families will try to blame you and walk all over you as well. the pay is terrible, they only give you decent hours the first month after that id youre working 12 hrs a week cosider yourself lucky. with a job like this youre better at home. i figured out that by working form them i was loosing money... (think so many miles, no gas reinbursment, paying childcare) this olace is so not worth it. if youre a CNA try to get a job ar Cosco you will be more happy making those $9 per hour there. this place should be called Maid Keepers
Pros
some clients are nice
Cons
pay, no benefits, no miles reinbursment, hours, katty management
It's an okay place to work for
In Home Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, IAJanuary 4, 2014
I have an online schedule where I find out a little bit about my clients that I will be visiting for the day. I figure out what they need help with, most of my clients need help with transportation, laundry, and house chores. I complete all of the tasks that the client asks of me.Then before I leave I have to fill out a brief summary of what I did while at my clients home.

I have learned a lot from my job. I have learned that growing old isn't easy. You're family members do the best that they can to help you when they have free time, but they also have their own lives and their own problems. I have seen families fight over who is going to take care of their elderly mother/father for the week..and that is the most hardest thing to watch.. I have learned not to become so consumed in my own life that when my parents get elder that I can not find the time to help them out. I have learned patience, loyalty, respect, how to speak up for those in need, but most importantly I have learned how not to be so selfish.

I work alone, I don't work with any other co-workers.

The most enjoyable thing about my job would have to be seeing my clients faces light up when I come through their door.. not only happy to see me, but happy because they don't have to be alone for a few hours in their day. I enjoy how my clients always ask my boss if they can have me back to visit and to help them with whatever they need for the day.
Pros
my clients
Cons
i can work a full 8 hour day and i won't get a break for lunch
The Place to work when first getting started in the CNA business
Certified Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, FLJuly 8, 2015
If you are deciding about becoming a home health aide and live in the Dunedin, FL area you may try Comfort Keepers to get your feet wet. The organization has its positives and negatives like any other workplace. The positives: The clients are kind, caring and good natured for the most part. The office staff works hard to give you plenty of work time. You get a free office shirt for Christmas. No bonuses unfortunately.
The negatives: The shifts often last only 1 to 3 hours, so you need to be scheduled for multiple clients, often in different towns in order to build a full time schedule. Office staff will call you daily to try to fill in shifts with new clients that may or may not be close to the clients you currently are scheduled to work at. Saying no to the request for additional clients does not fair well for those who want a life outside of caregiving. You can expect to be reprimanded regularly if you do not call in and out on your shift in a timely manner and if you do not follow the care plan exactly. You need to remember not to write anything on the back of your time sheet in order to avoid further reprimand. There are never any staff meetings that express the positive impact of the hard work that you do.
Pros
See above
Cons
No healthcare given. You need to pay for this on your own.
It can be a good company depends on owner and office staff
caregiver (Former Employee) –  North GA areaApril 6, 2014
They are too write up happy. I wonder about these reviews its about management and clients. If a mistake is made and client cuts off service whether its a day or a few weeks they come back at caregiver and write you up. Many times the client is wrong or made it up. Some times you did nothing wrong or a new rule hit you did not see it . Very bad about putting caregivers on cases a no shows happen and you are there as much as 36 hours. In assisted living they will not allow a caregiver to work over 2/ 7.5 hour shifts in a row. This is a safety issue, mental burn out, and physical too that could get a client hurt or not good care. Office staff has made mistakes and nothing was done about it. The pay is better than most home cares but many other companies are now coming up to par. I do like fact they wear a badge and scrubs. I think the company may be okay to work in depends on the owner and location. You do meet a lot of good people people that are very nice. Making people smile makes your day. No insurance due to high costs which C Keepers cannot help.
Pros
a system that texts you that you can get hours
Cons
i think they do not care about caregivers and your stuck if one is late
Congenial and willing to help employee
Caregiver/Companion (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYOctober 5, 2014
I am currently an employee. I've been with CK for over three years. I enjoy my job very much. The office staff has changed faces many times but overall they are all helpful. The thing I like most about working for CK is the flexibility of my schedule. They do try their best to keep you at the hours your request, however client issues cannot always guarantee this. Some of the responsibility must rely on caregivers and I feel they (caregivers) forget that at times. It's not always the companies fault when hours are not available. The hardest part of working at CK for me has just happened recently. Without going into detail because I feel the issue is being resolved...I will say when I have an issue, I say what is on my mind. If I don't like the outcome...I myself change the equation if CK cannot or will not. Sometimes we as caregivers do not understand the whole story of what goes on behind the scenes and with paperwork, insurance and Medicare. That being said, I know my worth. My value is my choice.

I love working for Comfort Keepers. They have been nothing but nice to me and have been kind to me from day one.
Pros
flexibility of schedule
Cons
consistency of hours, recognition of pay raise
Being a PCP for Comfort keepers
Personal Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJuly 21, 2013
Being a Personal Care Provider (PCP) for comfort keepers had its ups and downs. You got to help and meet alot of great people when you went into their homes to care for them. But at the same time you really couldn't rely on Public transportatio to get you anywhere unless you left and hour early for work. I learned that If you are caring and listen to what the client has to say and how they would like things to be done everything goes smoothly. I never really got to know a whole lot of my co-workers besides the managers and the office staff the rest of us were always out doing in home care for the clients. The hardest part of the job was knowing that some of your clients aren't going to be around much longer weather they are slowly passig away or getting ready to go to a nursing home or move out of town its always hard. The most Enjoyable part of the job was making the clients day by helping them get everything that they need done around the house finshed, and making new friends that you will never forget.
Pros
making friends with clients, knowing someone can count on you to help them
Cons
needing your own transportation, having to leave an hour early for work
productive fun fast working enviornment.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Charlevoix, MIDecember 9, 2015
every day was a new day. Each day I was to learn something I hadn't known the day before. whether it be about the body or the residents I took care of. I administered meds to people, kept documentation of everything there was to document, kept open communication with residents families, doctors, and aides. on m down time I would try to spend quality time with each of my residents whether it be reading them a book, doing their hair or makeup to just being there and talking to them. the management of comforts keepers was what I found to be the hardest part to deal with. The lack of communication to the families and its employees was one of the biggest problems. They never followed through on things that needed to be taken care of, comfort keepers did not treat their employees with respect or gave them benefits of any kind. They would hire people that had no work experience in the health care field. the list goes on. The most enjoyable part of my job and what kept me there was the residents they were my family and I treated them with the respect I would expect if I were in their shoes. seeing them smile every day was what kept me there and reminded my self why I put up with the poor management and low pay from comfort keepers.
Pros
free lunches, being apart of my residents lives
Cons
poor management, no benefits
Too much work and annoyance for too little pay
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Olyphant, PAJanuary 22, 2013
I started working for this company three months ago and I wanted to pull my hair out from the get go. The cases you receive are not the problem..it's the pay and the annoyance of the full time staff constantly calling for you to fill in for others. I have drove at least 20 miles away to cover a case after they had promised to keep you local. You also don't get paid for mileage so I hope you have a Hybrid. I accepted a case with a set schedule Tues-Fri with Sat, Sun, and Mon off. They continued to call me and tried to make me feel guilty about refusing hours on my days off. It is not fair to employees who never call off to be called in on their SCHEDULED DAYS OFF. If you want to help others and this won't be the main source of your income, it's a good job..but if you rely on this job to pay bills, look elsewhere.
Pros
understand if you can't make it due to weather
Cons
no benefits, no advancement opportunities, promised incentives were never met, frequent calls from full time staff to work unscheduled shifts
The employees do NOT come first as they state they do in Orientation
HR Specialist/QA Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 5, 2013
I was wrongfully terminated when I brought up to the owners that the office staff was feeling overwhelmed, stressed and that we all were requesting a meeting to discuss our concerns. There was a high turnover rate in the office staff and I was the one with the longevity (up until my termination). They scheduled a meeting for the following Monday to discuss our concerns. We were all relieved and looking forward to coming to some resolutions. Much to our surprise, that I was fired 15 minutes before the meeting started.
There's so much more but to much to write. I will say though that the caregivers we employed were amazing! I love working in this field.
We tell our caregivers in Orientation that they are our top priority (over profits) and that may be true for some Comfort Keeper offices, but this office is in it for the profit. The owners would get excited when a client became ill or had a decline, etc and needed to increase their hours.
One of the owners also prides herself in being able to manipulate both client and caregivers with the degree in psychology she holds.
Pros
enjoyed working with amazing caregivers!
Cons
overworked, un-appreciated
Meeting the needs of others
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Palos Hills, ILJune 9, 2015
Working for this company a work day is not typical. Provide services for people where the needs may change. This job was more personal as I spent time with elders and people who could not always do for themselves, it helped me to appreciate life and to understand that it can change at anytime. Did not have co-workers each assignment you worked alone. The hardest part of the job is not knowing the person you are scheduled to take care of. depending on their needs some assignments can be very challenging. Also, management was not that great at keeping records and providing accurate information. the pay was never on time or you were required to wait a few days before depositing a check or it would bounce. I enjoyed being able to assist the people I cared for in anyway that I could. I developed a lot of loving relationships and I met people that I will never forgot.
Pros
Flexibility, I was able to drop off and pick up my child from school.
Cons
Managment was not good, paychecks were not ready and some bounced, not a dependable company.
Great Caregivers and sweet sweet Clients
Client Care Coordinator, Scheduler, (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CANovember 7, 2013
Work was stressful yet rewarding. I did scheduling for 80 clients and about 74 Caregivers. Complex Multi level scheduling on S/W called ERSP. I also did phone inquiries which I usually turned into a home visit for Assessment. The last 4 months I have been doing In-home Assessments and have landed 90% of them and brought new clients into the office. Co-workers were mostly awesome. One in particular was compassionate and wanted to learn everything at 21. Management was less than satisfactory. That is all I'm going to say about that. Seemed like money meant more than the Actual clients to them. Most enjoyable part of my job was to land the home Assessment, go to the home and meet with client/family, then come back to work and pick the perfect caregiver for them. Most of the time I knew who I was going to put in before ever leaving the clients home. Then to see the Caregiver and Client Bond develop. Typically in a few weeks to a month I would check in with the Client and was happy to hear they LOVE their caregiver.
Up and downs
CNA/PCA/HHA (Current Employee) –  Blaine MNJuly 21, 2015
Sign in on telephony, see what chores need to be done, and plan lunch with client. Take a walk out to get the mail with client, and admire the view of the day, look at the birds and other critters. Check to see if feeders need filling. Chat about the clients day,week, offer to put music CD on, or go sit outside and talk about whatever they wish. Keeping them happy and content. The hardest part of my job is having the client trust me, after that we get along great. I enjoy meeting new people and hearing stories, meeting family and pets, and being there to offer my help.Every client is different, I learn new things and remember what I was taught everywhere I have worked, there are always new experiences. The management has tried to find the right client s for me. I have met some great co-workers while here.
Pros
na
Cons
not paid milage, few hours given, no raise in 7 months
Interesting experience as a home helath aid
In-home caregiver (Former Employee) –  WISeptember 17, 2014
I would spend 24-72 hours long shifts doing overnights for residents living in their own homes. Completing all tasks form errands and grocery shopping and transportation to appointments. As well as ADL's and bathing and hygiene. Cooking and cleaning and light house work were also included.
Management was very demanding and sometimes difficult to work under or communicate with. It was a good learning experience.
I didn't like not having co-workers by my side or being in an actual facility in case of emergencies.
The part I liked best about my job with Comfort Keepers was that I really got to spend one-on-one time with the clients I worked for and the relationships I built with them made a great reputation for me at the company.
I really didnt like working 72 hours straight without being able to leave or go home or take any breaks. Spending entire weekends working every hour was very tough.
Pros
different schedules all the time with new tasks and activities
Cons
very long shifts
Great Office Team, But Office Morale-???
Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Comfort Keepers has been a blessing to me in enhancing my skills and upward mobility in the company. I've been a caregiver (prior to this employer), administrator, an HR Generalist, AP/AR, Scheduling Coordinator and to date a Client Care Coordinator.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to travel, meet new people, and help those in need cause I have a true passion for what I do.
The CKEC Office team is the best! We work hard, play hard and fight hard - which make us an asset wherever this life may take us.
As with any other company though, we've had our ups and downs.
The hardest part of this job I believe is, that staff need more positive and constructive team-building opportunities, which would be a prophetic morale booster, not just on the office but for field staff too.
Our GM is a retired USN Lieutenant Commander and runs a very tight ship; but we don't always see eye-to-eye on things.
Pros
There's always work to be done
Cons
No benefits
Overall Good
Client Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 12, 2014
During a typical week at Comfort Keepers, I was in charge of reviewing applications, interviewing potential caregivers, orientating hired caregivers, completing the new-hire paperwork, answering the phone (including being on-call after hours), completing the schedule for the following week, as well as handle some accounting issues. this job has taught me so much. Although I worked for a relatively short amount of time, I learned how to manage stress and become patient with both the elderly and their family members. In order to work for this particular company, you need to be able to have compassion and understanding. You need to be able to expect the unexpected and handle it the best as you know how to. Fortunately, I had a great co-worker that I worked well with. The hardest part of this job was having to let clients know that their caregiver might not be able to make it to them that day. Finding out that clients have passed away also makes this job very difficult. Overall, I am so glad to have had the opportunity to experience such employment.
Previous office worker
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2015
Hmm where to start? First and foremost this company has no clue what they're doing. All administrative staff are rude and look down on everyone, including the caregivers like peasants. They don't appreciate hard work put in and underpay some to overpay others. Very secretive about what is really going on with the company instead of being straight up so everyone is on the same page. HR is very rude and unorganized. They stuff 5 people in 1 office. Hire people to immediately fire them if their performance is not great within a week and talk down on employees. As far as getting care for your loved ones. Caregivers are very likeable, but most are not dependable. Great ones are more than likely taken and working 40+ hours. Yes. 40+. They will make you sign a waver at 40 hours so you will not get paid overtime like the law states. Be careful here. Great pay, but don't follow rules.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Very unprofessional and rude administrative staff
My Day
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 17, 2015
My day starts off by being at my clients home at the scheduled hour. She has a routine that we do everyday, but sometimes it get out of whack. I take out all trash, make sure everything is whipped down with disinfectant wipes. I ask her what she would like to eat so that she may take her medications. I fix what ever she wants to eat. I wash any dishes that may be dirty, and put away clean dishes. She has a small dog and I make sure she is feed and watered and has clean wee-wee pads. Sweep floors and mop if needed, wipe all counters down in kitchen with disinfectant wipes, make sure she has plenty of her personal briefs close by, empty potty chair if needed. and run errors if she needs me to; such as shopping or taking her to Dr, or her pet to be groomed. At the end of day, its kinda repeated from morning, trash, dishes, wipe down and ask if she need anything else before I leave.
Pros
hours are great and I know where i will be everyday
Cons
sometimes you have a conflict of intrest with clients
Comfort Keepers: Great leadership and positive reinforcement
Companion Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 19, 2013
I am a Companion/Personal Care Aide. A typical day at work varies on client basic needs. An example, assisting clients with independent daily living skills such as shower, and getting dressed. Also, taking clients to doctors appointments, grocery shopping, and extracurricular activities.
What I learned from this experience is to look at the client through their eyes and be a good listener. Although, I work for an agency in the field we impliment autonomy with the knowledge to follow agency policy. We are representing a company.
The co-workers I interacte with are polite, enthusiastic, and compassion for this job. The hardest part of the job that's a good question? I try to handle each challenge with an open heart and mind and learning experience. So I'm not sure if I can answer that directly. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it doesn't feel like a job.
Pros
autonomy and bringing joy to someone else
Cons
low pay; no health benefits
meeting new people,
caregiver (Current Employee) –  Berkley, MI, Birmingham MI, Warren MI, Oak ParkNovember 11, 2015
fun and different often,things are a little different with each client, I enjoy their pets. I like to stay busy, and I enjoy talking with them as they have such wonderful stories. I run errands, banking, groceries, take pets to the vet. Organize paperwork, bills, assist with paying bills, try to interest them in some entertainment, try to engage them in some chair yoga or just go for a walk on a nice day. I don't have co-workers, the people I care for have just me from the company for the most part. I don't care for when they go to the hospital or otherwise not at home as I don't work I don't get paid. Sometimes the hardest part is finding where they live and I don't like finding a client that has died, it's a bit unnerving. I don't care for giving showers or cleaning up accidents, but, of course, I do as it's part of the job.
Pros
No supervisor, meet different people. Have a few laughs with the clients
Cons
Unreliable schedule, no real lunch break. Don't want to clean house or bodies anymore. Pay is low