Commerce Bank Employee Reviews

4 years
QA Engineer / Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2015
• Over 4 years of experience in the field of Information Technology, specializing in multitier and Client/server architectures.
• Worked extensively on a variety of Application servers, Web Servers, Databases, GUI front ends, Advanced Internet applications using Java/J2EE.
• Experience in Automation Testing, Functional Testing, System and End-to-End Testing.
• Possess Good Domain knowledge for Insurance, Banking and Financial Markets.
• Designed and executed Automation Scripts using Selenium WebDriver with different frameworks like JUnit and TestNG.
• Worked for System testing, System Integration Testing, Regression Testing, User Acceptance Testing, Production acceptance testing and also performance testing.
• Involved in test status review meetings, defect tracking meetings, requirement review meetings with business users.
• Good Understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts, Model View Controller (MVC) Architecture and testing concepts.
• Daily interaction with the client team on project issues/concerns.
• Identified Automation and Manual testing scenarios, Involved in drafting the project Test plan and Test Strategies, Test data and Defect Analysis.
• Experienced in Black Box, Grey Box and White Box testing methodologies.
• Experienced in PostgreSQL, IBM Data studio, IBM Lotus notes.
• Expertise in Functional and Non Functional testing of web based applications, and Batch applications.
• Experience in Testing of multiple technologies (JAVA, Lotus Notes, Database (Oracle, SQL)).
• Experience in Agile projects and In-sprint Automation Testing.

• Managed knowledge
  more... transfer and resource back up plans. Experienced in grooming new team members in testing.
• Excellent skills in defect management life cycle and bug reporting using HP Quality Center.
• Experience in testing in the UNIX and Windows environment.
• Good communication skills and ability to work independently and also perform as part of a team.
Great place to work with great people! Awesome culture!
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 14, 2015
During my time at Commerce Bank I have made many friends that are superior and coworkers alike. There really isn't much else to say besides it is an excellent place to work. Everyday I get to look forward to helping customers and working in a fun work environment. Commerce has taught me a lot about account management and banking regulations. Management doesn't get much better than at Commerce. If I had a problem or complaint they were always ready and willing to hear me and do something about it. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly or problematic customers. You have to be extremely careful about how you phrase certain things when speaking with customers. The most enjoyable part of working with Commerce is the customer base. For the most part, there is a great group of people who come to the bank on a regular basis and it always a joy getting to see them and build a relationship.
Pros
Flexible work environment, professional coworkers, great benefits, accommodating managment and great hours with holiday pay
Cons
Stressful situations, some demanding workdays, potential criminal customers
The most enjoyable part of my job, was the one on one relationship building of each New and Existing Client. Working w/ Co-workers was like a 2nd fami
Senor Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOSeptember 6, 2012
I enjoyed working for Commerce Bank, until I was unable to reach "unatainable goals".

Employees were changing job positions and jobs (downsizing) to maintain Job status with Benefits.

When first employed by Commerce Bank, I was able to attain goals and exceed goals, by doubling or even tripling results.
In later years, working for Commerce Bank, goals were increasingly getting harder to attain.

Points were adjusted (down) and Outbound calls increased.
Economy played a factor in Year 2011 (not held accountable to reach goals)
As Year 2011 ended, goals were reinstated, but not changed according to economic status.

Otherwise, I thought Commerce Bank was the BEST Bank ever!
I Believe in their values and was a very dependable employee.

I am still hoping to find a "Financial Services" or other Clerical position.

(Despite my leaving Commerce Bank, I would come back in a heart beat, IF asked and goals adjusted accordingly.)
Pros
incentive was appreciated
Cons
unattainable goals
Great Industry with many areas for growth
Lead Teller/Loan Operations/ATM (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 8, 2015
Most of my days consisted of assistance with loan operations and title release. I conferred with clients daily. I started out as a teller so I was more than happy to contribute in any branch as a teller when they were short an employee. I also took on the responsibility of being part of a team responsible for balancing all ATMs in Columbia, MO. I had the great fortune of learning how to tackle issues of concern and assist where and when available. I worked in many different areas which consisted of numerous management. They were all knowledgeable and taught me what they knew. My co-workers were always flexible and fun to work with while still maintaining professionalism. I find nothing to classify as hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of job was the never knowing what to expect everyday. I love to take on challenges.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Challenging work environment where satisfaction is high.
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 20, 2012
I start the day running my sales numbers from the day before. I follow that with following up on my loan leads, and take care of the account maintenance from customers. In between I take care of customers that walk into the bank and address their needs and concerns while looking to meet their financial needs with Commerce Bank financial products.

I have learned a high degree of multitasking, a complex and thorough system for determining customer needs, and the ins and outs of loans and accounts in the financial world.

The management at my branch has been excellent in their commitment to my success and growth, with frequent coaching and guidance.

My coworkers have been supportive and friendly.

The hardest part of my job is meeting sales goals and dealing with the amount of paperwork associated with doing activities.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I help a customer meet their financial goals with a Commerce financial product, specifically a loan.
Pros
good health care benefits
Cons
low compensation
Worst place to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 27, 2014
They definitely rule with an iron fist. You are constantly in fear of being fired over petty, little things. The management is awful. My manager was quick to throw me under the bus so he could make himself look better to our Regional Manager. He always kept his office doors closed, and actually told us he didn't want to be bothered with customer problems.
The pay and the hours are horrible. You only get a $0.10 raise once a year. And the only time you have a chance for advancement is if you're manager gives you a personal recommendation, which my manager never did, because he was a jerk about people wanting to move positions.
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
bad work environment and wages
Commerce Bank was a fun place to work at and I loved working with so many different people
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 10, 2013
At work I was usually in the drive thru and that was pretty busy every day with helping customers with their transactions and with their questions and concerns. It took a while to talk to people about the banks products that they had to offer and to get them sold on the ideas and products they had. It was fun working with so many different people at the bank and at so times we did not see eye to eye on things. The hardest part of the job was sometimes selling the banks products because I did not want to have the customer feel pressured into buying anything. The most enjoyable part was being able to help the customers and other employees and it was like another big family.
Pros
going to lunch with the manager, taking longer luches at times, getting to leave early sometimes
Cons
healthcare, love meeting and talking to new people and former friendships
Served as Financial Sales and Service Rep and sold financial product.
Financial Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  1000 WalnutApril 19, 2012
I worked in the telebanking department as it was being developed. With this being a fairly new department I worked during the time the department was being evaluated and tweeked to help Commerce develop their stradard for customer serve. We were evaluated by productivity, sales and customer service.

Our department served as a stopping place for training of interns and management trainees. We exposed them to all concepts of the branch banking processes, by phone. We were responsible for selling accounts (checking accounts, savings accounts, investment product, loans, trust services, etc) and servicing customers (providing and understaning balances, registering complaints, requesting copies (statements, checks, receipts).

During my service at Commerce I ranked as one of the tops sales representative three out of the ffour years I worked as a sales representative. I was recognized by Commerce and the annual sales and service award banquet hosted by the upper managment team at Commerce Bank.
Productive and fun work place
Servicing Rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 11, 2015
A typical day at work would be to go to the file cabinets and pull the files that my supervisor had assigned (usually 10-12 files). I would then review to make sure I had all the documents and that they were accurate to proceed with preparing the loan documents. If the information was not correct I would contact the appropriate department or county records office. I learned what steps are taken during the loan process in order to complete a closing. My co-workers at the office and through the entire building was very courteous and down to earth. The hardest part of this job was not being able to complete the loan due to previous title issues. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the clients.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks and flexible schedule
Small yet big at the same time
Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSNovember 5, 2014
Commerce is busy with both commercial as well as personnel account activity. The customers that interact with Commerce were friendly and laid back. I will bet that is related to the service that they received.

I learned that regardless of where you are located, how big or small you may feel or how comfortable you are with your surroundings that procedures and policies are posted for a reason. I learned that a positive attitude will go a long way.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to explain to customers that their bad habits are hurting them .

The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the customers and knowing that if I keep on working hard, there is more to come.
Pros
working with a vast amount of personalities
Cons
the down time.

Want to know more about Commerce Bank?

Ask a question
Overall good job
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 15, 2013
This has been my favorite job in my working career. Decent pay. Starting off it can be stressful especially at the first of the month. My location had nice customers that came in on the regular and were for the most part pleasant. Management was amazing; was firm enough to have authority but nice enough to know that everyone has a life. Co-workers were great, everyone got along. The hardest part of the job is making sure you dont take any counterfeit money, bad checks, and making sure your drawer balances at the end of the day.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, got to sit down, cool air, networking
Cons
can be boring or repetitive at times
Fun to work sometimes
Certified Professional Teller (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 27, 2012
This job was fun because it was busy all the time and you meet different people and I did not like how some co-workers would talk about the people. Not nice at all it was hard to hear that and I think you should treat everyone equally they are the reason you have a paycheck. Branch manager was not nice to us she always was not like all other branch mgrs. She wanted for us to work for free at times because she would never allow over time but yet she would want you there at work early and leaving right on time. She just was not fun at any time at all.
Pros
close to home, nice customers, co-workers fun sometimes when in good mood
Cons
not in complience with other branches, branch mgr there was not nice at all with employes not even because you were there a long time
Very Productive / Room for Growth
Senior Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 15, 2014
I was Senior Financial Service Representative
I had set days to open & closed the Bank
I coached the tellers
I worked directly under Branch Manger
I conducted, monthly meetings
I trained the New Personal Bankers
I made sure customers were greeted in a timely manner
I opened & closed checking & savings accounts
I educated customers, to the investment side of banking
I coordinated Job Fairs within my Region
I coordinated banking presentations for the high schools within my region
I coordinated banking presentations for several different businesses
within my Region
I was accountable for making sure retail goals were met
I enjoyed working as a team leader
I enjoyed meeting different people
Pros
free lunch once a month, if branch meets weekly goals/ training classes were free
Cons
bank as a whole had to downsize
Selling bank products and services is priority
Teller Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSApril 24, 2014
Complete customer transactions while looking for an opportunity to try and sell a bank product or service to customers. Management would hold meetings and sent out employee satisfaction surveys. Management would listen to employees concerns, but seldom acted to make improvements. Customer complaints also would be listen to, but generally no changes on how the branches operates. Giving excellent customer experience was mandatory, but very few branches executed. Using customer's names was mandatory, but again was not enforced in the branches. Staffing of branches is inconsistent.
Pros
sales rallies where they provided food and drinks.
Cons
big bank with big bank attitude of charging fees whenever possible.
Productive and fun work place
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Springfield moJanuary 4, 2015
• Provide banking customers with courteous and efficient financial transactions.
• Provided timely accurate service and any internal or external information to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Ensure professional and high quality delivery.
• Demonstrated how and why to do all phases of assigned work.
• Quality of work was well executed, thorough, effective, and accurate.
• Maintained appropriate decision –making ability and used sound judgment.
• Promoted productivity through team work and cooperation and supported the objectives of the department.
• Resourceful and creative in meeting job objectives. Followed through on all assignments and developed new ideas, methods, or procedures to effectively meet changing environment.
Pros
get to work with alot of different customers
Cons
benifits/pay
Productive work place, good direction, allowed to have a few laughs while getting your jobs accomplished.
Drive Thru Teller (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOJune 19, 2012
A typical day consisted of taking care of the customer in a timely manner. Making sure that your drawer was always correct & if it wasn't finding the reason why by going thru your machine tapes till the mistake was found , then correcting the problem.We had a great buch of employees on the drive-thru, we all helped each other out.I enjoyed interacting with the customers. I usually had repeat customers at my window.
Pros
good health benefits.
Cons
not alot of room for advancement & raises were skimpy.
great place work if you are just out of college
Sr. Loan Servicer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 1, 2014
Typical day at work at Commerce Bank is work fast, be accurate, and do it with fewer people.

While I worked there the company was in a state of transition so there was a lot of confusion.

There was little or no opportunity for advancement unless you had a degree.

Most of the knowledge transfer happened from tenured, non-degree holding workers to degree-holding freshly promoted supervisors. Consequently work moral was not very high as you were never going to be promoted unless you got a degree.
Pros
free coffee all day long
Cons
pay, advancement opportunities, negative corporate culture.
Nice place to work, secured building
Collection Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 13, 2012
To manage the new bankruptcy filings and follow up on the outstanding filings in order to minimize the banks losses. Managed new repo assignments, acess the inventory monitor and sale the inventory to reduce the bank's losses. Phone monitor and coach direct reports as needed.
I learned how to manage and wear a variety of hats throughout the day and make sound decicisons.
The management staff could communicate more with their staff.
The co workers occassionally supported each other.
The hardest part of the job are people's personalities.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the diverse duties.
Pros
benefits, bonus, flexible schedule
Cons
limited parking, pay for parking
Work Atomosphere
Loan Servicer III (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 9, 2012
Typical work day was filled with a variety activity. Every work day was never the same. My first year, I was promoted from a Grade 4 to a Grade 6. I went from a Data Entry Operator to a Loan Servicer I. Was promoted 3 years later to a new department and a Loan Servicer II. My last promotion was in 2005, I was promoted to the Mortgage Dept and to a Loan Servicer III. In which I learned how to generate mortgage and retail loan documents and process mortgage loans. I processed and generated title work and other legal documents. The hardest part of the job was the separation for me. The easier part of the job was the variety of skills that I accomplished as as employee of the bank. I am still friends with some of my co-workers from the bank.
Pros
variety of accomplishments. benefits. advancementq
Cons
compensation
Productive work place, fast paced, with a good balance of team work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MOJuly 2, 2013
Typical day included counting and maintaing a cash drawer, doing debit and credit transactions into customers accounts, making loan payment and credit card payments, cash advances, and reffering customers to accounts and services that fit their needs. Also some office work type duties including faxing, copying, and entering new customer information. Co-workers are great very helpful and supportive. All works are team oriented. The hardest part of the job was probably being short staffed and very busy.
Pros
have great sales rallys and employee events
Cons
standing all day, occasional upset customers