Commercial Metals Company Employee Reviews

Welder (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 11, 2017
I loved working there there is always room for advancement and it's a place where you live going in to work they are you with respect and know how to treat their employees
Decent place to work
Project Manager & Detailer (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 4, 2017
Provides all necessary training needed to perform well at job tasks. Great place to work and very quiet within the office. As long as your proficient with basic math and AutoCAD, you should be fine.
Excelent place to work for with many oportunities to under management employees
Area Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West TexasMay 2, 2017
World wide company which generates lots of money. Company has good benefits. Employees are well taken care of. Employees who wish to climb up the ladder or relocate to other locations can do so. Safety department is good, just needs to have more Safety Coordinators to cover companies which have greater employee numbers and hazards.
Pros
Great benifits and health care
Cons
employees are overworked in some locations.
Mandatory overtime, 15+ hours a day. Hateful, ungrateful environment. Intense physical and mental stress.
Lead Man/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 23, 2017
Dangerous. Extremely hazardous environment, both physically and mentally. Random days that never end. nobody knows how long shifts will be, inventory continues until decided otherwise which is between 12-20 hour days then back to it at 7 am the next day.
Very unorganized and uncarryingabout family.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCMarch 28, 2017
I worked there for 6 months, at first it wasn't bad. Being just hired, I made more than some who had been there for years, some bitterness there. Work week started on Sunday through Thursday, straight time. My father was hospitalized out of state, as I called hospital to find out. I was yelled at by the Maintenance Director to get back to work, tried to explain and was told to call them on my own time. That day, I stated looking for a new job. Wouldn't recommend unless you were desperate.
Pros
Cons
Name it.
It was and ok place to work for
Cash Applications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 22, 2017
I had 9 great years with the company, until I was transferred last year to another department which was unstable. I started disliking my job last year.
Good place for someone with no brains
Stand tech (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 8, 2017
Doesn't have a union well underpaid compared to other steel company avg start pay is 15-16 dollars and there is no training you basically train yourself as you go company owns you once you're on the clock and off.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
No real advancement and pay doesn't add up to the work performed.
Something New
Ironworker/Rigger (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2017
This was a first time for me to be one of the head rigors on the job this was a huge job they allowed me the opportunity to show my skills and become higher up in the company only buy me succeeding and with that in mind it only drove me more to become a better and qualified rigor I can I think the people who gave me that opportunity anymore and I can imagine
Pros
Use your head
Cons
Fast paced
Great Company
Regional Security (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 25, 2016
Great company to work for with excellent benefits. Constant changes to improve profit margins. Management needs to look at current trends and look at how fraud occurs within the company. Security is very important in any organization.
Pros
work at home
Cons
outgrowing to quick.
safe and stable work environment with equal balance of production and safety
Truck Load Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2016
learning everyday from fellow co-workers as well as management. Constantly having a eye out for safety hazards. safety is top priority and production follows. Meetings along with lunch allow for relationship growth and awareness. Seasonal weather is one of the hardest parts and the most enjoyable is the hands-on work experience with metals.
Pros
company benefits
Cons
open shop allows seasonal weather effects
very friendly people, comfortable, productive and safe environment to work in.
Roll off Truck driver (Former Employee) –  2215 South Good LatimrNovember 15, 2016
Excellent group of people to work for,believe in Safety first. They give you free uniforms ,free PPE equipment, free steel toe boots once a year.
Pros
free fruits, Gatorade daily during the high season
Cons
30 minute lunch break and two 15-minute breaks
Its not about taking care of the employees.
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Las ColinasMarch 20, 2016
Get rid of present upper executive management. They are fake and don't care about the employee's. They make salary employees punch a time clock.
Pros
Cons
Management does not care about their employees. Especially, current CFO.
Relaxed busy fun
Purchasing - Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2016
you never knew if you were going to be busy that day or not. It all depended on the weather.

Learned patience with customers that they are not always right but you made them to believe that they were. To let them walk away with satisfaction and a smile on their face.

Co-workers are a fun group of people. They help in need and not against you.

The hardest part of the job is getting out information from your customers. They think that they want/need one thing when in fact they are needing something else completely different. But you need to find away to get out information from them so you can get them the product they are needing.

Everyday is different.

A great company to work for and I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Pros
Benefits and salary
Cons
part of town
very well ran and organize
Stacker Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCNovember 17, 2015
very demanding workplace physically and mentally. great atmosphere and good co-workers. the most enjoyable part of the job is learning more everyday. the weather played apart when it was cold it was cold and when it was hot it was hot,
Pros
good pay
Cons
swing shift hours
Great safe company with good benefits
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TXOctober 19, 2015
Safe company that has great benefits, safety lunches, PTO programs and holiday parties. Fun place to work with advancement opportunities. Business is good when the metal market is up. When prices are low, business is slow and can get boring.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible hours, great safety program
A diverse place filled with people who consider each other family
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 14, 2015
Management is understanding and willing to talk employee problems as most of the day is spent at the workplace, along a superb management the employee's are diverse with a wide range of skills needed for the job that isn't standardized to what one expects. Different languages are spoken and even at that people are still understood, which lends a testament to equal opportunity.
Pros
Company bought lunches and breakfast at each meeting along with great bonus'
Cons
Short lunch break (30 min), short notice in regards to overtime on the weekday or weekends
Super place to work. Fun and exciting. Loved it.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 29, 2015
My team was a wonderful group of people to work alongside and my manager was outstanding. Everyday was an adventure with plenty of challenges. Everyday was different. The rapid pace of the daily activities made the day seem short. I enjoyed most, was the variety of job duties and speaking one on one with all the different people either over the phone or via email in order to successfully achieve our customers goal as well as our own.
An important and satisfying place of employment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Commercial Metals Company, is a place where ambition and detail to the finished product is something that does not go un-noticed. You basically get out what you put in. There is definitely room for growth, and the company has generous incentives and benefits.
Safety is key and is recognized as a direct factor in the profits or loss over all. Customer service is also a primary factor with regard to the health and future of the company.
Pros
Profit Sharing and 401 k is available to those who are serious about their careers.
Cons
The company has no loyalty to its employees, no matter what length of their tenure.
Managment Training
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sequin and Austin TexasAugust 21, 2015
I was fortunate to have the chance to loop train through various departments in the yard and SMI steel mill. I was able to work with different managers and learn from their individual styles.
My Review
Nonferrous Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCAugust 19, 2015
Great entry level job. Shredder site. Not a place I would make a career. I learned how to run lots of equipment
Typical work day would be to keep up with production or fix what has broke to run again. rain shine sleet hail snow it dont matter. management was a joke as well as most of the co workers. hardest part of the job was I was always working,
Pros
401k benifits bonus etc..
Cons
401k benifits bonus etc..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commercial Metals Company. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval