Commercial Metals Company

Commercial Metals Company Employee Reviews in United States

Relaxed busy fun
Purchasing - Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2016
you never knew if you were going to be busy that day or not. It all depended on the weather.

Learned patience with customers that they are not always right but you made them to believe that they were. To let them walk away with satisfaction and a smile on their face.

Co-workers are a fun group of people. They help in need and not against you.

The hardest part of the job is getting out information from your customers. They think that they want/need one thing when in fact they are needing something else completely different. But you need to find away to get out information from them so you can get them the product they are needing.

Everyday is different.

A great company to work for and I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Pros
Benefits and salary
Cons
part of town
Its not about taking care of the employees.
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Las ColinasMarch 20, 2016
Get rid of present upper executive management. They are fake and don't care about the employee's. They make salary employees punch a time clock.
Pros
Cons
Management does not care about their employees. Especially, current CFO.
A diverse place filled with people who consider each other family
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 14, 2015
Management is understanding and willing to talk employee problems as most of the day is spent at the workplace, along a superb management the employee's are diverse with a wide range of skills needed for the job that isn't standardized to what one expects. Different languages are spoken and even at that people are still understood, which lends a testament to equal opportunity.
Pros
Company bought lunches and breakfast at each meeting along with great bonus'
Cons
Short lunch break (30 min), short notice in regards to overtime on the weekday or weekends
Super place to work. Fun and exciting. Loved it.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 29, 2015
My team was a wonderful group of people to work alongside and my manager was outstanding. Everyday was an adventure with plenty of challenges. Everyday was different. The rapid pace of the daily activities made the day seem short. I enjoyed most, was the variety of job duties and speaking one on one with all the different people either over the phone or via email in order to successfully achieve our customers goal as well as our own.
Great safe company with good benefits
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TXOctober 19, 2015
Safe company that has great benefits, safety lunches, PTO programs and holiday parties. Fun place to work with advancement opportunities. Business is good when the metal market is up. When prices are low, business is slow and can get boring.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible hours, great safety program
An important and satisfying place of employment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Commercial Metals Company, is a place where ambition and detail to the finished product is something that does not go un-noticed. You basically get out what you put in. There is definitely room for growth, and the company has generous incentives and benefits.
Safety is key and is recognized as a direct factor in the profits or loss over all. Customer service is also a primary factor with regard to the health and future of the company.
Pros
Profit Sharing and 401 k is available to those who are serious about their careers.
Cons
The company has no loyalty to its employees, no matter what length of their tenure.
My Review
Nonferrous Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCAugust 19, 2015
Great entry level job. Shredder site. Not a place I would make a career. I learned how to run lots of equipment
Typical work day would be to keep up with production or fix what has broke to run again. rain shine sleet hail snow it dont matter. management was a joke as well as most of the co workers. hardest part of the job was I was always working,
Pros
401k benifits bonus etc..
Cons
401k benifits bonus etc..
Various opportunities to learn several trades
Lead operator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2015
There is absolutely no room for growth here. I've seen long term employees get passed up by young, white males with little to know experience. Favoritism is everywhere. They do not promote growth nor do they reward loyalty and hard work. Management is poor at best. Lot of management, no leadership. There is such a social gap between management and ground workers that there is little communication, and absolutely no respect.
Pros
sometimes it's possible to get an annual bonus, but don't get your hopes up.
Cons
overtime can be pulled in a heartbeat, and sometimes they require you to work 40 hours in 6 days to save them money. No leadership
Daily life as a mechanic at Commercial Metals Company
Industrial Mechanic Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCAugust 4, 2015
Work life began at 7:00am with a safety meeting lasting half an hour, our day officially started with receiving work orders, prepping for whatever task that lay ahead of us, getting spare parts, creating a safety checklist on how we would approach the task as safe as possible, and starting the work. We had a lot of spare time which made possible many opportunities to learn from more experienced co-workers, and take initiative to do more preventative maintenance.
Pros
Great environment, culture, experience overall
Cons
Not a clear line in scheduling, sometimes would have to stay many hours over because of incidents that rose up.
Enjoying a work life balance
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 30, 2015
I am enjoying my opportunity here at CMC. I had no idea when I was hired that I would love coming to work everyday. My co-workers make the day go by quickly. I am able to communicate not only with my coworkers here at my location but I am able to communicate with those out in the field as well. Everyone is such a pleasure. While we are all focused on core business needs, there is no time for negativity or unpleasantness. I admire our workers in the field who put their heart and soul into the steel manufacturing business. This is not easy work. I feel CMC is dedicated to it's employees and their career goals.

100 years says a lot about a company. I think they are doing something right!
Managment Training
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sequin and Austin TexasAugust 21, 2015
I was fortunate to have the chance to loop train through various departments in the yard and SMI steel mill. I was able to work with different managers and learn from their individual styles.
Good company overall
ORACLE Functional Analyst/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 4, 2015
CMC is a steel company at it's heart. Touching on many market spaces inter-related with steel and steel products. Culture has changed from a family owned business to a standard publicly owned company.
Pros
Long history
Cons
subject to market changes
Great Company
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 25, 2015
Great advancement opportunity and well managed. Employee's mattered and were well taken care of. Hours were set accordingly based on work load. Overall great company to work for.
Pros
Advancement Opportunity, Great Management
Cons
lack of communication
Good culture, good people, pleasant place to work.
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 21, 2015
Solid company with a good culture and plenty of opportunities. Great benefits including tuition reimbursement and excellent healthcare.
Extremely hot in the summer, cold in the winter, Too much favoritism shown, hours are constantly changing without notice.
Shear Line/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2015
Would get to work in the afternoon, recieve work orders and begin work, while working loaders puld constantly come into work station asking for material that's not even listed, then after you oblige aand give them what they asked for you have to worry about benders who messed up and need extra pieces. After about 3 1/2 hours you take a 30 minute lunch. After break its the same thing employees messing up and coming over for extra pieces, all the while you're fighting mosquitoes in the summer time mixed with heat, in the winter you're fighting to stay warm all night. As you're walking through the shop you have to be careful of Snakes, Racoons, and other such creatures that may be lurking in the back of the shop due to the wooded area behind the building and the docks staying open. Also most of the machines are very old and constantly in need of repair, Management still expect the same production with faulty equipment.
Pros
Good Benefits, 401K etc
Cons
long shifts, promotions are rare, company only wants to hire for night shift
Good Company Overall
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  ShreveportAugust 23, 2014
Company as a whole was good. The division (metal recycling) I worked in was mostly well led. Industry is extremely competitive with many markets overcrowded. Experienced employees are necessary to run a good business and in some locations it is difficult to source either people with the skill sets necessary for long term success and/or difficult to pay them what they are worth.
Pros
good career work if you are suited for it.
Cons
poor work conditions, many unskilled/uneducated employees in the scrap metal industry as a whole. difficult markets.
Commercial Metals Company in Mesa, Arizona is a technologically advanced steel producing micro-mill.
Melt Shop: Scrap Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 1, 2014
At Commercial Metals Company, an international corporate company, we are a very high tech steel producing micro-mill. I work in a safety first, fast paced environment where I have to quickly adapt to situations and also have the opportunity the learn new things every day. We specialize in the continuous casting process of rolling rebar but we are leading manufacturers in other steel products of very high quality.
Fun place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GaMarch 1, 2012
All over the globe, CMC's mission is to manufacture, recycle, and market steel, other metals and related products, and to meet our customers' needs. With operations from Arkansas to Zawiercie, CMC has a wide breadth of products and services, and we are involved in virtually every aspect of our industry. We are headquartered in Irving, Texas, USA. Though we operate in many countries, CMC is guided by a single set of values; wherever in the world we do business, we do it the CMC way
Great for a while
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 24, 2012
I loved working for Commercial Metals Company until the 2009 global recession began. Working there didn't really seem like work. My manager was wonderful. When the recession hit, CMC began a series of reductions in force that cleaned out most everyone that was close to retirement along with their assistants. Most of these people had been with CMC for 20 years or longer. It was horrible to watch these dedicated employees being tossed aside like yesterday's trash.
Pros
most employees were genuine & caring.
Cons
2009 global recession ruined the company.
Managed maintenance and repair of equipment and buildings. Supervised a Safe work enviroment.
Maintenance Supervisor/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 13, 2012
Managed maintenance and repair of all equipment, buildings and grounds.
Was safety supervisor, so making sure employees, equipment and buildings were maintained as per safety codes.
Making sure things were done in a safe manner and getting employees to understand the safety behind the proceedures.
Getting things accomplished so the business could run in a more cost effective manner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commercial Metals Company. Our community is ready to answer.