Commercial Metals Company

Commercial Metals Company Employer Reviews

Was a good company
SAP (Former Employee), Irving, TXJune 19, 2014
Was a very good company until the financial crisis. However, culture changed and many people were laid off as a result
Operations Manager/ Area Production Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 30, 2014
Pros: many
Cons: business is greatly impacted by the economy.
This is a great company to work for but is greatly effected by the economy. Each day is challenging and rewarding.
Disappointment for a Fortune 500 company
Credit Representative (Former Employee), Irving, TXMay 20, 2014
Management is selfish and inhumane. There is no confidentiality in regard to employee salaries and personal matters. My first day on the job the executive secretary approached me on how high my salary was and informed me that it was going to rub my peers the wrong way. My supervisor was very nice to me until he discovered my salary was just a couple – more... thousand dollars below his. From that day, he began attempting to sabotage my sales meeting reports. The human resource department stood by their management and didn't do anything to protect me, a new employee at the time. There is no work life balance. This company expects individuals with families to work an entire year with no PTO. There's no sick policy, yet it is under the supervisor's discretion on what is deemed excessive. – less
Awesome place to work
Rebar Detailer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2014
I've enjoyed every second working here. Everyone works very diligently and as a very close tightly knit group. We all feel like we contribute a great amount to the company, no one goes unheard.
good pay
Tier I Overhead Crane Operator/Forklift Operator (Current Employee), 11444 e germann rd, mesa azFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: pay day
Cons: long days 12hr a day working days and night and weekend
loading rebar on trucks and into bin locations with crane or forklift, safety is key, management is ok that is all i can say about that, good men hard working men, 12hr days working night and days week ends, getting the job done safety.
Great company to work for
Import/Export Administrator (Former Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Not very good job security. Occasional company trips. Occasional free lunches.
do not want to review at this time
Payroll Admin (Current Employee), Seguin, TXDecember 26, 2013
Pros: good benefits
process weekly and biweekly payroll
process weekly taxes
process biweekly taxes
process monthly taxes
process semi monthly taxes
process quarterly returns
Do not want to review at this time
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 14, 2013
Process payroll and payroll taxes
Passed my CPP
Learning SAP
Helping my co workers
Giving 200% to doing my job accurately and correctly
Good company at first. That changed.
Telecommunications Analyst (Former Employee), Irving, TXOctober 29, 2013
Pros: good at first.
Cons: not good later.
Over the years, the atmosphere changed. The people were always great and a joy to work for but management changed.
Strength
Risk Manager (Current Employee), Irving, TXSeptember 23, 2013
Positive place overall to work. Enjoyed the ability to get out into the field as well as office setting.
fast past enviroment, very detailed organization, lots of different cultures and personality, saftey first procedures
A/P Clerk/Dispatcher (Current Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 7, 2013
Pros: different situation everyday
Cons: no room for growth
check emails, dispatch to 5 other CMC yards besides mine, keep up with customers expectations on paperwork, work on freight in new system by inputting information and printing check for that contractor, answer door and phone through out day, back up scale and contract admin position.

I learn something new everyday mostly from our new RECY system how – more... to maneuver in it. Also learn the new requirements for ONCOR and LUMINANT(customers I handle), also the changing outlines for the contractors to be able to drive for our company.

I get along with everyone, learning their ways also, so to better at what I can do.

Management has a lot of belief in me on what I do. sets me up with tasks and lets me go after it.

I would say the most hardest is insuring that my customers and contractors and my fellow co workers are satisfied with my work duties.

the most enjoyable is getting to help customers, learning new things about the new program, and feeling accomplished at the end of the day. I am not a person to let anything sit on my desk for period of time. I like to fix the situation and move to the next. – less
Pay was OK, wouldn't recommend working at CMC
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Cayce, SCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: free boots, pay was ok
Cons: poorly managed, aggressive adversarial atmosphere, dangerous, special treatment of some people, real stingy when issuing supplies tools and equipment
I worked there for 6 months.
The 'cool people club' was kind of annoying.
I would try to get supplies from the supply room and it was common for them to not have things in stock. Despite having a half dozen suppliers in the area it would still take a month just to get a hack saw blade - I had to cut PVC pipe for some chemicals plumbing and I had to – more... use electrical wire to cut the pipe, just ridiculous.
Tools; if you were the right person you could have tools, otherwise you would have to supply your own (drill, hole saws, etc) tools in the store room were most often broken/in disrepair.
I remember a manger refusing to follow instructions while he was operating a crane, another man's hands could have easily been crushed.
Overall an unsafe place to work. Several years ago a man was burned 90% of his body with 3rd degree burns - to this day you still cannot find a leak bottle anywhere in the place (to check torches).
Had to wire a new machine (large process water filter) was given wrong instructions, had to wire it again (24 vdc wire HAD to be blue, not 'whatever you can find (black)'
Hire inexperienced people (one guy I'm thinking of had trouble using wrenches correctly).
They have people assigned to Safety training positions, 90% of their day consists of sleeping in an office.
A couple times I saw the Efficiency/Lean Dept guys use a $25k laser aligner, when done their last step was to bolt down the pump. – less
Best Job EVER!!
QA Lab Technician (Former Employee), Cayce, SCAugust 23, 2013
the things i learned at this job were untouchable by any other job i had. the pay was great and when you work here you get a lot of life skills as well.
Metal recycling and steel manufacturing
Area Accounting Manager (Current Employee), Orladno, FLMay 31, 2013
Pros: excellent insurance
Cons: overall benefit package
 Served as interim Regional Controller
 Fraud investigations
 Regional accounting for 5 SE plants,
 Prepare plants for internal and external audits
 Review plants for SOX, SOP, and policy compliance
 Supervise plant controllers and accounting supervisors
 Train, support, and counsel staff, SAP Super User and
Great company, It was a pleasure to work for them
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Cayce, SCMarch 19, 2013
Pros: free safety lunches
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work would start off with a safety meeting and toolbox meeting, then all the guys would go to their respective worksites and get working. I learned that safety is always key to doing any job right and to practice good communication. My co-workers were really easy to get along with. The hardest part of the the job was the unorganization – more... of the supervisors but I did enjoy the aspect of recycling scrap metal and making a new product, – less
Used to be an excellent company.
Credit Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Colinas, TXJanuary 20, 2013
This company had a terrific reputation but it has let it's employees down. They are showing signs of improvement but they are slow and extremely painful for the people left carrying the extra workload.
Managed maintenance and repair of equipment and buildings. Supervised a Safe work enviroment.
Maintenance Supervisor/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Joplin, MONovember 13, 2012
Managed maintenance and repair of all equipment, buildings and grounds.
Was safety supervisor, so making sure employees, equipment and buildings were maintained as per safety codes.
Making sure things were done in a safe manner and getting employees to understand the safety behind the proceedures.
Getting things accomplished so the business could run – more... in a more cost effective manner. – less
Great coworkers and good experience, poor system decisions
Sr. Staff Accountant, Recycling Division (Current Employee), Irving, TXNovember 9, 2012
Pros: friendships made, free lunches at times
Cons: poor management decisions related to system implementations
I love who I work with. The company is going through a lot of changes, mainly with system implementations. Not many people trust management anymore with some of the decisions they have made. For example, with one of the systems being implemented, they started off too fast with go-lives without allowing sufficient time to fix issues. This allows the – more... problems to compound and forces people to work long hours to get the job done right. Thankfully, I have not been caught up in this... yet. They are starting to ask that people work on weekends during month end close, and I would rather spend time with my family. With another system implementation, management didn't first listen that it would not work for our inventory needs, and therefore we had to take the test location off of this new system and back on the old one. Then we had to reimplement the new system once the kinks were worked out. – less
if you are not in the circle you get treated unfair... a terrible place to work
maintenance technician (Former Employee), Lexington recyclingOctober 31, 2012
Pros: vacation
Cons: constantly treated unfair they want you to work very hard no matter if you get hurt or not
It is a terrible place to work you get treated very unfair I would strongly recommend looking at other jobs and make this your last resort the turnaround there is the highest I have ever seen constantly they hire and fire
100 year culture with issues to overcome.
any (Former Employee), Irving, TXOctober 30, 2012
A difficult environment. ...........................................................