Commission on Economic Opportunity Employee Reviews in United States

A busy office with hundreds of patients who expected a high level of care by the clerks as well as the nurses.
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Schedule appointments for patients to follow their continuing care plan involving their Cholesterol and Hypertension. Accommodate patients according to their needs at the request of the nurse who maintained their follow up care. Pull files for the 15 nurses and the 2 Doctors on staff. Follow up phone calls to confirm appointments with patients and reschedule if necessary. Answer incoming calls for an office with hundreds of patients who were in the 32BJ union. Worked well with my co-workers and we were able to count on each other for assistance when necessary. Doctor's were very pleasant and the some nurses pulled their own files. The hardest part of the job for me was probably dealing with patient's renins and finger sticks.
Pros
A lot of coworkers.
Cons
A lot of coworkers.
A great CAP agency to work for
Energy Auditor & Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 4, 2016
A community action agency serving all of Rensselaer County providing services to low income families in an effort to help elevate them to a better life.
fun workplace
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 23, 2015
Love working here, you get to meet new people and network. The people I work with are friendly and awesome. I was also promoted within 6 months.
Worse place to work EVER (troy, ny)
case worker (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 19, 2013
If you are looking to work for an organization that is ethical and really cares about people, this place is not it. They call themselves a not-for-profit but yet all they care about is money. The supervisors lack experience and education. Many of them do not even have an associate degree but they think they know more than their staff whom are highly educated in a number of different programs. They will not promote you from within and will actually try to demote you and get ride of you if they don't like you. If you are liked, someone will create a position for you. The administration call themselves "the cabinet" as if they are better than those who actually do the ground work. On top of that, pay can be pretty low and micromanagement is outrageous. You also always have to worry about the funding for your program being cut. Look elsewhere if your smart, if you are desperate, make it a temporary thing but if your on unemployment keep looking...........
Cons
management, program cuts, 30 min lunch breaks, low pay, no staff appreciation
This is a very productive, fun and professional organization to work at
Wilkes-Barre, PA (Current Employee) –  CaseworkerNovember 4, 2011
You get a sense of fulfillment from working for this organization, as you are helping low-income individuals and families, such as with shelter (making sure they will not be homeless), heating assistance and food. This organization has a wonderful staff and management as well. I feel incredibly lucky to have had the experience of working here so far.
Pros
one-hour lunches, breaks when needed
Cons
no over-time, but only due to budget cuts
Excellent opportunity to work with disadvantages teenagers.
Construction Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 10, 2014
I was a construction teacher for a program that employed disadvantaged youth. From ages 18-24, both men and woman were under my tutelage. I would order materials through purchase orders, then show in great detail the order and execution of the projects at hand, that all revolved around a 2 family house that we gutted completely and refinished to a working 2 family home. The program director, the other construction teacher and the guidance counselor were all the most amazing people geared towards making a difference with our youth. I loved working there. The hardest part of the job was the emotions of hearing the rough up bringing that some these kids had to endure. The best part was seeing the same kids rise above there problems, against all odds, and become hard working men and women who are doing right by there families.
Pros
i feel i made a difference in the lives of these people.
Cons
funding for program was lost, and i was forced to move on.
unprofessional
social services (Former Employee) –  troy nyJanuary 11, 2013
When I applied I was told one thing and then when I went back in to sign paper work it was a lower amount. i told them I had a driving infraction and they said that it was ok. I worked for about 2 weeks and then they called me into the office and said they had to let me go because of the infraction I told them about and which they said it was ok. Since then I have re applied 8 years later and went in for an interview. Never heard back from them about it. I called and no response. very unprofessional.
A typical day at work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  People helping People CEODecember 13, 2012
Well I only worked part time, so my hours were 3;30 to 7;30. I came in a little bit early cause i always follow the motto to be on time is to be late and to be early is to be on time. Once all the kids were dismissed for the day myself and my other co workers could start cleaning all the classrooms. We had to dust, vacuum, wipe off the desks,and clean all the chalk boards.
Pros
i liked my co wokers
Cons
no breaks.
Human service agency productive in finding employment for disadvantaged individuals
CEO/Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Ford Heights, ILDecember 3, 2012
Non-profit agency great place to work for. provided supervision to a great staff. The joy of assisting people with job readiness training, vocational training and job placement was a rewarding experience.
Pros
public sector meet all types of people and personality
Cons
n/a
rewarding place of employment
Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 9, 2014
friendly atmosphere and lovable children. I learned a lot about head start paperwork as well as regulations.

Want to know more about Commission on Economic Opportunity?

Ask a question
productive workplace
CEO (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 23, 2012
 Re-ticketed items for proper price changes
 Maintained store appearance by keeping merchandise in correct sections
 Greeted and assisted customers when applicable
Pros
fast paced work enviroment
Fun environment with a large variety of experience opportunities
Nutrition Educator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes barre, PAJuly 16, 2012
Was able to work with a large population of people which was fun
Cons
short breaks
fun while learning through play
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 10, 2013
loved teaching through play. family involvement was a plus and asset to children achieving goals.
Pros
great staff
Cons
weekends
Joy
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 14, 2012
Loved working with the close knit staff, families and student. Exciting, fun and rewarding.
Pros
awesome experience
Cons
so sad the class and program i was in closed.
Summer youth help
SUMMER YOUH HELP (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 27, 2013
I loved everything about I was working in the infant room going at for walks helping feed the babies I would come in at 8am and leave at 12
Helped people find jobs
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ford Heights, ILJune 12, 2013
Typed up grants, answered phone, filing and greeted people for their appointments.
Pros
learned how to help people
Cons
there were none
A typical day at work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  People helping People CEODecember 13, 2012
I came in and looked for jobs, but if they needed filing done or coping done i got asked to do it.