Commonbond Communities Employee Reviews

Well-run, mission-driven organization
Youth Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 22, 2015
Work/Life balance was decent for the coordinator level, and as expected, seemed to get more challenging for higher positions.

Compensation and benefits are modest, but competitive for similar nonprofit roles.

It is a very steep climb to be able to advance from part-time to full-time positions, especially in Youth Services, but there is good security once in a FT position.

People in management positions are accessible and responsive.

The work culture varies by site. I had amazing coworkers where I was based. There doesn't seem to be a culture of happy hours or other after-work activities established though.
Pros
Coworkers, Mission, Front-runner in field
Cons
Support and job intensity can vary a lot by site
Engaging workplace, positive, goal-oriented, and inclusive
YOUTH PROGRAMS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 8, 2013
I work with youth at a CommonBond property. The work is very rewarding and I'm afforded a lot of responsibility to plan activities and projects with youth. The families at this site are wonderful and are very kind to staff. Property management also has a close relationship with staff that serve the residents, and my coworkers were always very flexible and supportive. However, I can't give CommonBond 4 or 5 stars because youth workers are paid a very low wage (between $900-$1100/month, hours change seasonally) and it is difficult to find a way to move up in the company. I do receive benefits (PTO, holiday pay, enrolled in 401k after 1000 hours) even though I am part-time, but I would trade them for a higher wage and regular hours in a heartbeat. I work 1 PM until 7 or 7:30 PM four days a week. The youth supervisors are paid more but it is not a good wage to raise a family on, and the hours can be very inconvenient (evenings and sometimes weekends). It seems that many of the sites are understaffed and a lot of work can be piled on one person. The people who choose to work for CommonBond are like-minded and healthy individuals who are great coworkers, but there is high turnover due to lack of good pay. I don't know about the health plan because I am not eligible, but I have heard it's so-so.
Pros
positive work environment, diverse, interesting, engaging, rewarding
Cons
low pay, bad hours
Value led organization
Youth Program Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 3, 2013
CommonBond Communities is an organization that benefits people in the upper midwest with affordable housing and services
Workplace that promotes independence and dignity for all its residents.
Advantage Services Coordinator Intern (Current Employee) –  West St. Paul, MNMarch 24, 2015
• Work with older adults and people with disabilities connecting them with a variety of relevant resources.
• Conduct formal evaluative assessments including the Live Well at Home Rapid Risk Assessment.
• Facilitate monthly Roundtable Discussions.
• Deliver individual case management services.
• Attend weekly one on one supervision meetings and offered insight about best practice models.
• Provide informal counseling and conflict resolution skills training.
• Participate in the Peaceful Communities Committee and offered ideas to address bullying that occurs in CommonBond housing.
Providing affordable housing to those in need.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 21, 2014
1.) Repair various equipment throughout the building. Cleaning and trash removal on days opposite of work orders.2.) I learned how to work with many people Exspecially seniors who are very demanding and set in their ways.3.) Manegement was very hard because they didnt have a onsite Manager that would stay with the company for to long. So I had to help out and answer a lot of questions that I didnt have the answers to.4.) My co-workers were fabulous I loved all them and would do anything for them.5.) Hardest part of the job was trying to stay within the budget.6.) The most enjoyable part were the seniors who lived in the building and my co-workers.
Pros
11 paid holidays
Cons
Not having enough money per year for the budget.
The most enjoyable experience ever. I helped establish in-house programs for chronically homeless adults.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 24, 2012
A typical day at work was sitting down with my manager and establishing what program(s) we were going to work first. I enjoyed helping individuals reach or find their highest potential. I set out to establish programs that were informative, provocative and educational for the residents of that community.The most challenging part of the job was working with other organizations, trying to get them to see the value of working with that class of people. I was the lead volunteer for two years with this organization and in my length of time we had established a gardening program, exercise program, residential board, food program, and a clothing program and we changed some of the strict housing rules for the better. We made the community more like a home rather than an institution.
Pros
helping to establish wonderful programming
Cons
was not employed
Flexible, Fun, and Fulfilling
Maintenance Technician I (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 10, 2015
Commonbond Communities is a well rounded, flexible and enjoyable place to work with upward movement potential. Lots of learning opportunities. They paid for my boiler License
Pros
Frequent group cookouts, exploratory opportunities
Call Center
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 28, 2015
It was not my ideal position of work but it had it's advantages overall being I had to interact with customers over the phone daily.
Fun Place to work! :D
Youth Programs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 5, 2013
Co-workers are amazing and so are the field trips! Best of all, the kids are life changing! :D
Pros
Environment, community, residents
Cons
Part-time, mid-day hours
Productive workplace full of advancement
Caretaker/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 2, 2014
A great company to work for that I love helping out each and every resident.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonbond Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2