Commonwealth of Kentucky Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Family Support
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pikeville, KYSeptember 17, 2017
Good to help other people. Co Workers are generally great. Too much for work for too little pay. No recognition. Advancement opportunities very limited.
Long term job careers with substantial pay and much needed benefits.
Revenue Data Workflow Specialist lI (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYSeptember 9, 2017
I work a flex schedule where I am able to pick and choose my work schedule. This allows me to schedule doctors appointments without using my timebank. The ability to bank extra time working overtime for comp hours. As long as you do what is expected of you, raises or increments are easily made.
Pros
Some positions offer flex schedules
Cons
Starting pay could be a little higher.
Great job
Family Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 23, 2017
The job was fast paced and we did great work for the community.
I loved being able to help families.
I was able to give families medical and SNAP
Was able to give some medical to adults for welfare cases.
Very productive
Business Analyst /System Analyst (Former Employee) –  May, KYAugust 22, 2017
Never a free time. Always busy do something. Project mainly focused on replacement of current KYMMIS by MEMS. I worked on member, claims and provide dmodules of MMIS to maintain current updates of state Medicaid polices and regulations.
Low pay, but stable work.
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYAugust 22, 2017
The state generally has low pay for their merit employees, but stable work. The schedule is flexible in most positions and there was the option of working remotely.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Low pay
Great benefits....hard work!
Social Service Worker I (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 18, 2017
Hardest part of the job is not being able to shut yourself off at the end of the work day. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with the children. Management has a tendency to care more about the numbers instead of the workers.
Fun working enviornment with amazing people to work with
OSA 1 (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYAugust 9, 2017
I love my job here at the Commonwealth Of Kentucky, the people are amazing to work with, and no job is ever left undone. I would recommend this job to someone who is willing to go the extra mile for a child in need
Pros
hour lunch breaks
FAMILY SUPPORT SPECIALIST I (Former Employee) –  May, KYAugust 8, 2017
I really enjoyed my brief time at the state. I would have loved to stay but there was a mix up in HR and I was unable to keep my position there. It offers amazing benefits and it's a wonderful place to work.
Good career if you land the right position and agency.
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 4, 2017
I worked for the DCBS and was not in the right position or agency for me to make the living I was after. Job security is good after probation, but any problems during probation and your in jeopardy. Management was good at my office but a lot of low mood people. Everyone was more dramatic and low functioning than actually proud to be working.
Pros
benefits, and work/life balance
Cons
short breaks, pay, enjoyment
Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYAugust 1, 2017
There is no opportunity for advancement for field investigators. You must be located in a central office. Then field employees train their new higher paid supervisors. Somewhat frustrating.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Relaxed
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJuly 28, 2017
My particular department is relaxed and evolving. We have to adapt to help fit the needs of those we are serving. Management is understanding and empathetic.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Low pay
Governement
Administrative Branch Manger (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJuly 12, 2017
Working for Government is a very different than private industry. The culture does not promote stability simply because of the nature of politics. Senior management comes and goes with the tide.
review
Dept.of juvenile justice (Former Employee) –  Columbia, KYJune 20, 2017
job was made to be much more stressful than needed, accrued time off looked down upon if taken,health insurance far too expensive. Pay raise at the time was halted for several years, facility waste hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, Gross mismanagement of taxpayers money.
Pros
accrued time off
Cons
accrued time off seldom given w/o retaliation, mismanagement
Over staffed and over paid
Internal Policy Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 13, 2017
Residents of the state of Kentucky would be appalled by the waste of their tax dollars. The Commonwealth of Kentucky is over staffed and over paid. I did not appreciate their financial practices.
Pros
The employees are very nice.
Cons
Too many cons to list here.
Not the best place to work
Social service worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Kenton County, KYJune 13, 2017
Work/job life balance is a difficult one. Forget about making plans in the evening during the week because you will have to regularly cancel them. Your friends and family will have to be put on the back burner at times while you are out taking care of other people's families. The pay is horrible, but it's social work so that's no surprise and the overtime is unlimited so your yearly salary is actually decent. Job security is solid because they can't fire anyone whose willing to stay bc most people quit before they've been there a year. Advancement is regular as well because no one wants the burden of being a supervisor when the retention is so horrible and the case loads are unreasonable. Management is way too far removed from reality and have comical expectations that would literally never be possible. Management quotes a social work text book and policy and believe they know everything. Management has lost touch of the purpose of social work and that is keeping children safe. Management would rather have good case data than ensure safety. Most of the workers have great personalities and everyone feels they are all in this crazy chaos together!
Pros
Unlimited overtime and unlimited time off
Cons
See above
Nice place to work with a great executive director.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 12, 2017
It was a great place to work along side the executive director. I enjoyed going into work every day. The worst part of the job was the negativity from the individuals that did not keep their licenses up to date.
Pros
Day shift with every weekend off.
Cons
Not very good pay.
Job Security
Resource Management Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 7, 2017
Once off probation, you have job security. You shall never get a raise. You will be asked to give your very best each day. Managers are very good about praising good work...There are just no raises.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Money
High stress for low pay
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hardinsburg, KYJune 5, 2017
The Commonwelath cares only about numbers, not about truly helping people. There is little chance to advance unless you know the right people and can talk your way into a promotion
Pros
Hours/ paid time off
Cons
Low pay, high stress, very little care for your family
Good Coworkers,terrible pay
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Radcliff, KYJune 1, 2017
A typical day is stocking up for cleaning and cleaning bathrooms,offices, rooms, etc. Two 15 minute breaks, 30 minute lunch. Coworkers are helpful and nice. General work atmosphere is merely ok. Most higher UPS at nice and friendly while others treat housekeepers like personal maids, leaving obvious disgusting messes purposely. Also, some staff treated housekeeping rudely. The biggest complaint though are pay is very low with only a 5% raise yearly. Benefits are deducted from your check so your check is next to nothing.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
short breaks, micromanaging supervisor, low pay, degrading treatment
Great. I really liked working for The Commonwealth.
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, KYMay 22, 2017
Loved meeting the new people everyday. Love the change of work pace everyday. I gad to have good communication skills and possess a passion for helping others become self-sufficient. In addition, I had to enjoy technology because it was a huge part of my daily work load.
Pros
Great
Cons
Always room for improvements