Commonwealth of Kentucky

Commonwealth of Kentucky Employee Reviews

Fun projects with juveniles
Administration Specialist III (Former Employee), Boyd, KYApril 15, 2015
Pros: Secure work enironment
Cons: Locked doors
A typical day at work would mostly answering questions from staff regarding benefits, other jobs and insurance.
Answering questions from public via phone
Daily email correspondence in house and throughtout the department
Run away, don't look back, keep running!
Former Corrections Officer (Former Employee), La Grange, KYFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great officers
Cons: horrible pay, supervisors, over time.
Horrible pay, horrible overtime, horrible supervisors. Doesn't care for you at all. Very expendable. Do not waste your time. Not worth your safety.
Run Away
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Roederer Correctional ComplexFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: benefits, comp time
Cons: supervisors/office workers, pay, mandated overtime, hours, poor training, work enviorment, no home life
Great Coworkers...for the most part. Terrible supervisors. 16 hour days 2 to 3 times a week mandatory. No time for a life at home perfect job for single person who doesn't care about long hours and being talked down to by supervisors.
Remediate Environmental damages to allow People and Animals to enjoy Planet Earth
Environmental Scientist/Project Manager (Current Employee), London, KYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: being my on boss most of the time.
Cons: pay
Have a project assigned, then do a quick map recon and ARC VIEW back ground check along with any other info available. Then proceed to site. Usually this involves off road driving then some mountain climbing and or some method of investigation of the damages done. Devise a plan then submit it to Design Branch for further evaluation.
Pros and Cons
Private (Current Employee), Elizabethtown, KYDecember 8, 2014
Good co-workers. Mid level and site management are wonderful. Upper level administration (Frankfort) leaves a great deal to be desired. Very poor leadership and interpersonal skills.

Compensation and benefit structure comparable.
commonwealth of ky - hazelwood center
compliance officer (Current Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 23, 2014
Pros: communicate and work with many individuals each day
Cons: high turnover by lower level direct care results in having to reestablish contact and communication
A typical day consist of completing surveys and documentation for compliance to Dept of Justice plan of correction. Time lines are met at the end of the month. Co workers do similar or nearly the same documentation for compliance and reports. The most difficult part of the job is working in an environment that consists entirely of physically and mentally challenged adults. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing some of these adults moved out into community homes where there is a better quality of life for them. A typical day is from 8 am to 4 pm. The facility is changing its mission to one of a medical approach and I do not have a medical degree. I enjoy working with people, have been that way since I was teenager.
Run Away
Office Support (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: not far from home
Cons: everything else
Office support assistant; no training to speak of. Two supervisors who were responsible for training; one not available and the other didn't know what my job consisted of. One person to babysit for eight who couldn't even file their own paperwork. Told them in the interview that I had evening classes and was told "no problem". Then when I couldn't travel 60 or more miles away for training and get back to class on time, it became a problem. I guess the never heard of online training. Antiquated computer software, that you would wait months to get a sign-on or password. Too many problems to mention.
Deed/Mortgage Dept
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYAugust 8, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: worked on some weekends for tax and election time
I was in charge of all the records pretaining to marriage licenses. Answer the phones and direct the calls.. Filed legal documents daily time and stamped reviewed for booking purposes. Involved with helping the Election dept for elections. The hardest part about the job was election time and tax time. The most enjoyable part is getting the overtime that came with it.
Great employees / poor workplace
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee), Eastern KentuckyJune 16, 2014
Pros: great work schedule, great employees
Cons: massive workload, low wages, limited advancement opportunities
The Commonwealth of Kentucky has one of the greatest work forces, but working conditions, time constraints, and massive workloads mixed with low wages, deceiving salary/wage scales, and very limited advancement opportunities keep employee moral low and difficult to become motivated. Most enjoyable part of the job is decent benefits, great working hours, and a great working schedule. Most negative part of the job is a massive workload.

Also, there are no incentives to individuals with experience and/or college degrees.
My job desription.
Maintenance Superintendent I (Former Employee), Cromwell, KYJune 11, 2014
Pros: good pay time off, and holidays
Cons: didn't appear to value their staff very well
Arrived at the facility had a short meeting with the staff that I supervised. I checked my emails to see if anything was needed to be made priority. My fellow employees were over all a pleasure to work with. Some days were more stressful, as your aware that comes with the position. Most days appear to go pretty smooth. The hardest part of my job was definitely the corrective action part , no one takes pleasure in that part. the most enjoyable part wouldn't be a certain day. It would to look back maybe a year or maybe longer and see were you and your department had made a difference as a whole in the facility..
Easygoing workplace with decent perks -
primary writer/manager (Former Employee), Department of Revenue - Frankfort, KYJune 9, 2014
Pros: flexible hours and generous vacation and sick days, and healthcare.
Cons: some micromanaging, and a degree of petty office interactions.
Managing 12-15 employees usually wound up in second place to the hoop-jumping generally required in public sector employment. My management days were generally filled with examining tax trends and predicting revenues based upon old tax law and new tax law - as well as tax law not yet passed, but studied. Fortunately for me, I typically satisfied my writing interest with the writing of tax law, regulations, manuals, pamphlets, etc.

The hardest part of my job was the oversight of sometimes quite different personalties and how to encourage the best from each employee based upon his or her personality.
Easy to work for
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYJune 2, 2014
Pros: easy to work for, low pay and great work-life balance
Cons: pay rate
Easy to work for, low pay and great work-life balance. I enjoyed the people and the workload.
Retirement isn't worth anything anymore. haven't seen a raise in 8 years.
Youth Worker (Current Employee), Ashland, KYMay 31, 2014
Pros: working with kids, laid back environment
Cons: state is broke. retirement is almost gone. no pay raises
Easy laid back job most of the time. Cameras installed for "safety reasons for the kids" yet constantly were told not to do something after seeing us on camera. Becoming more like 1984. We need another 1776 for sure. Bottom line, the state is broke and if you want raises then you'd better look else where. I'm a youth worker making $12 an hour.
Busy, Productive
Bullitt County Pretrial Officer (Current Employee), Shepherdsville, KYMay 20, 2014
Pretrial officers are constantly on the go with managing different case loads with supervision. We rotate offices between the jail and the courthouse, attend court, interview defendants within 24 hours of arrest per statute, and work 365 days a year. The hardest part of my job is it can becoming overwhelming at times and the compensation is also barely enough to live on. I do, however, enjoy all the different opportunites and how each day can be different.
LPN program instructor
LPN Program instructor (Former Employee), Danville, KYMay 19, 2014
LPN Program instructor- directed students with all aspects of Nursing care, clinical and classroom.
fantastic place to work
Administrative (Current Employee), frankfortMay 13, 2014
The ability to help people from all aspects of their life. The people are great, the hours are awesome it is just a all around great place to work
Great people to work with.
Workforce Development Specialist I (Current Employee), Covington, KYApril 23, 2014
Good learning environment for an entry level job in government.
Hardest part of the job
Assistant Director, Division of Fiscal Management (Current Employee), Frankfort, KYApril 10, 2014
Medicaid is always changing so it is very important in my current position to be able to think outside of the box, be a problem solver, and to always be adaptable to change.
Always full of Challenges
Administrative Section Supervisor (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 7, 2014
Pros: constant change
Cons: lack of communication by managers
State government is always challenging on a daily basis. A typical day is that there is no typical day. A person who works here has to be willing to handle any situation even if you are not the one responsible for it.
Good company
Electrical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), 9th & Broadway; Louisville,KYFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: centrally located
Variety of work orders. Troubleshoot and resolve maintenance issues. I am a team player; follow management and OSHA rules.

Each work day different. Love the challenge and ingenuity of solving maintenance problems. Like staying busy.

1 2 3