Commonwealth of Kentucky

Commonwealth of Kentucky Employer Reviews

Great employees / poor workplace
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee), Eastern KentuckyJune 16, 2014
Pros: great work schedule, great employees
Cons: massive workload, low wages, limited advancement opportunities
The Commonwealth of Kentucky has one of the greatest work forces, but working conditions, time constraints, and massive workloads mixed with low wages, deceiving salary/wage scales, and very limited advancement opportunities keep employee moral low and difficult to become motivated. Most enjoyable part of the job is decent benefits, great working hours, – more... and a great working schedule. Most negative part of the job is a massive workload.

Also, there are no incentives to individuals with experience and/or college degrees. – less
My job desription.
Maintenance Superintendent I (Former Employee), Cromwell, KYJune 11, 2014
Pros: good pay time off, and holidays
Cons: didn't appear to value their staff very well
Arrived at the facility had a short meeting with the staff that I supervised. I checked my emails to see if anything was needed to be made priority. My fellow employees were over all a pleasure to work with. Some days were more stressful, as your aware that comes with the position. Most days appear to go pretty smooth. The hardest part of my job was – more... definitely the corrective action part , no one takes pleasure in that part. the most enjoyable part wouldn't be a certain day. It would to look back maybe a year or maybe longer and see were you and your department had made a difference as a whole in the facility.. – less
Easygoing workplace with decent perks -
primary writer/manager (Former Employee), Department of Revenue - Frankfort, KYJune 9, 2014
Pros: flexible hours and generous vacation and sick days, and healthcare.
Cons: some micromanaging, and a degree of petty office interactions.
Managing 12-15 employees usually wound up in second place to the hoop-jumping generally required in public sector employment. My management days were generally filled with examining tax trends and predicting revenues based upon old tax law and new tax law - as well as tax law not yet passed, but studied. Fortunately for me, I typically satisfied my – more... writing interest with the writing of tax law, regulations, manuals, pamphlets, etc.

The hardest part of my job was the oversight of sometimes quite different personalties and how to encourage the best from each employee based upon his or her personality. – less
Easy to work for
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYJune 2, 2014
Pros: easy to work for, low pay and great work-life balance
Cons: pay rate
Easy to work for, low pay and great work-life balance. I enjoyed the people and the workload.
Retirement isn't worth anything anymore. haven't seen a raise in 8 years.
Youth Worker (Current Employee), Ashland, KYMay 31, 2014
Pros: working with kids, laid back environment
Cons: state is broke. retirement is almost gone. no pay raises
Easy laid back job most of the time. Cameras installed for "safety reasons for the kids" yet constantly were told not to do something after seeing us on camera. Becoming more like 1984. We need another 1776 for sure. Bottom line, the state is broke and if you want raises then you'd better look else where. I'm a youth worker making $12 an hour.
Busy, Productive
Bullitt County Pretrial Officer (Current Employee), Shepherdsville, KYMay 20, 2014
Pretrial officers are constantly on the go with managing different case loads with supervision. We rotate offices between the jail and the courthouse, attend court, interview defendants within 24 hours of arrest per statute, and work 365 days a year. The hardest part of my job is it can becoming overwhelming at times and the compensation is also barely – more... enough to live on. I do, however, enjoy all the different opportunites and how each day can be different. – less
LPN program instructor
LPN Program instructor (Former Employee), Danville, KYMay 19, 2014
LPN Program instructor- directed students with all aspects of Nursing care, clinical and classroom.
fantastic place to work
Administrative (Current Employee), frankfortMay 13, 2014
The ability to help people from all aspects of their life. The people are great, the hours are awesome it is just a all around great place to work
Great people to work with.
Workforce Development Specialist I (Current Employee), Covington, KYApril 23, 2014
Good learning environment for an entry level job in government.
Hardest part of the job
Assistant Director, Division of Fiscal Management (Current Employee), Frankfort, KYApril 10, 2014
Medicaid is always changing so it is very important in my current position to be able to think outside of the box, be a problem solver, and to always be adaptable to change.
Always full of Challenges
Administrative Section Supervisor (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 7, 2014
Pros: constant change
Cons: lack of communication by managers
State government is always challenging on a daily basis. A typical day is that there is no typical day. A person who works here has to be willing to handle any situation even if you are not the one responsible for it.
Good company
Electrical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), 9th & Broadway; Louisville,KYFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: centrally located
Variety of work orders. Troubleshoot and resolve maintenance issues. I am a team player; follow management and OSHA rules.

Each work day different. Love the challenge and ingenuity of solving maintenance problems. Like staying busy.
Productive environment that requires self-motivation most of the day and being able to work alone, while completing all required tasks
Legal Secretary to Judge Edward D. Hays (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: benefits, work schedule, paid holidays, paid days off and sick days, option of 4 day work week, hour lunch break
Cons: dental not included in benefits- costs extra
A typical day is 7.5 hours, 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
The day includes, checking email daily, scheduling appointments, making and recivening phone calls for claims filed, keeping mail and files update-physical copies and in Microsoft exel.
I have learned a lot about the workers' comp. side of the law and a lot of secretarial duties.
I work with the Judge – more... and his paralegal. Other departments have more employees. All co-workers are helpful.
The hardest part of the job is that is sedentary, sitting all day isn't ideal, but I enjoy the work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of accomplishment when a docket is finished or a schedule is completed. – less
Tedious slave driven work
Legal Assistant/ office clerk (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: side benefits
Cons: uncompassionate work environment
The state is a merciless employer. The answer to the question how much should be given is always more more more to quote CCR. Pay was low and supervisors run the place like a prison.
Adoptions Social Worker (Current Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 11, 2014
Good place to work, salary not great,some travel, benefits okay
State government offers steady employment, income really for secondary
Administrative Assistant, (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: steady employment
Cons: good for secondary employment, not fulfilling, have no idea what my salary was!
Did not find position fulfilling. See resume of the duties and responsibilities.
ok place to work good people
Security Administrator/Correctional Captain (Current Employee), Louisville, KYDecember 13, 2013
Pros: 1.00 meals good people
Cons: low pay
interacting with patients and staff. hardeset part of job is bureaucracy
leadership wants to make things better for patients and staff
It was a great job
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYNovember 10, 2013
I had to guit to go home and care for my 95 year old dad who was in a wheel chair and then moved out of the state after his death.
Well balanced workforce with experience and knowledge of areas of expertise
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Frankfort, KYNovember 10, 2013
Pros: free expression f ideas. brainstorming sessions. all in all everyone is respected.
Cons: layer of beaurocracy is sometimes difficult to overcome.
Excellent management team. Ideas expressed freely. Sometimes not enough time in a day to covert all issues.
Information Systems Supervisor (Former Employee), Frankfort, KYSeptember 4, 2013
Working there prepared me to find solution that are cost effective.