Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

My first job working for the govenment
Scrum Master and Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2017
My first government job. I learned a great deal. The challenge in working for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is that the various agencies have their own agendas -- sometimes for valid reasons --
and sometimes work in different directions.
Big waste of time to apply here. CNO is a joke
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Western Mass HospitalMay 11, 2017
For this to be a state hospital , it is run very poorly,and not efficient at all. Met some great coworkers there, but also some of the worst dishonest disrespectful as well. Miserable long term employees are known to sabotage new employees, and it is a known fact! I was told by one of the union members. Truly sad state of affairs. Too bad for the patients who have to endure the high employee turnover. This is there home, that has been turned in to a mess to say the least. If things continue this way this hospital will eventually be closed down.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Terrible management skills
I loved resolving problems !
Helpdesk/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2017
Received and resolved 10-20 technical calls daily by phone/email
• Visited the users at their desks and resolved problems
• Troubleshoot network scanning, and configure for the use, resolve network printing
• Installed, troubleshoot company applications and replace pieces of hardware in PCs within company
• Re-imaged PCs from Symantec Ghost disk, upgrade computers and troubleshoot login problems
• Reinstalled new Operating System 2000/XP on PC
Great
Internship (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 1, 2017
Worked in a great environment, very professional and busy. Learn a lot about, the par rate is great and more room for growth at the state, great for networking
Very diverse community is being served here.
Client Assistance Coordinator/SNAP Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 25, 2017
Being a Client Assistance Coordinator has given me the opportunity to administer public assistance to low-income families on a daily basis. I provide a high level of service to all those in need of our services. I have the opportunity to work with people of diverse communities and learn new cultures. The hardest part of the job is not being able to provide families with assistance with their utility bills when experiencing hardship. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I make a family smile.
Very busy
Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAApril 24, 2017
Fast paced environment. Serving the state of Massachusetts. Helping families improve their skills and/or living arrangements as well as helping with financial stability
Amazing staff
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2017
The State Treasury has an incredible staff that puts constitutes first. The management and training are interactive and one of a kind. Each individual strives to do their best for the commonwealth.
Challenging place to work.
Supervisor - Sharp Transition Program (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 15, 2017
Give staff daily assignments.
Count and pass out medications at the start and end of shift.
Supervise 5 staff and 24 residents.
Follow a timed scheduled for school and meal times to maintain safety and security.
Organize activities for residents.
Hand out discipline when needed.
Keep a detailed log for head counts and other important information.
Fill schedule for overtime.
Fill in when needed to help complete payroll.
Monthly supervisions of staff.
Pros
Set schedule and state benifits.
Cons
Difficult clients and way too much forceable overtime.
Working with the public in a law enforcement capacity was an exciting challenge.
Police officer (reserve) West Spfld (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAMarch 9, 2017
I learned and was trained in keeping not only myself safe and free from harm , but also the inmates while giving care was a great experience.I was introduced to many different types of street drugs that people use and learned the different stages of detox and treatment. Assisting people at the worse times of there lives and also helping people in need and making a difference was very rewarding.
Commonwath of Massachusetts is a great place to work and I like working there
Mental Health Worker I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 8, 2017
I have been working for the past five years and I'm happy with my current position. Commonwealth of Massachusetts nice place to work. I encourage anyone who is looking for a job to apply.
my review
Office of the State Comptroller (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the office. I got along well with my coworkers. I feel like I was able to accomplish a lot with my time spent at the office. I recommend this job.
Mental Health Worker - house manager
House Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 26, 2017
Lots of micro management ! , other agencies or residences have less micro management .. There are many trainings , which is helpful to do the job , you feel good when the clients move on and you know you had a part to do with it ...
Pros
Caring staff Good benefits
Cons
Micro Management --
Good work/life balance
Rate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2017
Not much room for advancement but safe job with good benefits. Salary escalates pending on how long you work there. Administration has been great. Work flow comes in bunches.
I can set my own hours
State Certified Instructor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJanuary 17, 2017
It was a great place to work, setting my own schedule and learning to work with diverse audiences. The travel was convenient and according my my availability.
Pros
Setting my own schedule, meeting new people all the time
Cons
Not getting enough hours
Fast paced with great opportunities
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 3, 2017
Never settle strive for greater opportunities. Opportunities for promotions are usually given to current employees allowing room for growth.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Benefits, unions
Good workplace, liked helping people
TEMPORARY CLERK III (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MADecember 14, 2016
To me the job was rather simple and my supervisor found additional things over my grade to keep me busy at my request. The way I organized what I was doing finished job according to description after about 1/2 day, even when on mail assignment. This was after only a couple of weeks. The co-workers were quite pleasant and many were sorry to see me go. The hardest part was sometimes understanding very heavy accents and the telephone for the deaf. I enjoyed being of help to people.
Great workplace
CORRECTION OFFICER II (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, MADecember 4, 2016
It is a great company to work for with great pay and benefits. I learned supervisory skills and how to maintain professionalism.
Interesting
Case Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Belchertown, MANovember 30, 2016
The day was never the same. Every day in a court setting brings about different out comes. There is no such thing as a "cookie cutter" definition to Small Claims cases or to the Criminal cases.
Dept Youth Services
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Dept of Youth Services, Worcester County, MANovember 30, 2016
Lack of uniformity statewide, management paid well-promoted without experience or education. gangs, murderers, raypist, home invaders, armed robbers control the programs. No staff support, staff injury. low pay 4 work compared adult cor, prob & parole. Not under Public Safety and joke to police, probation & corrections.
Pros
State benefits, but you can get same at any state agency
Cons
too many to mention, daily forced ot, unpaid ot, bodily injury, kids NEVER charged
decent employment
Social Worker Bers AB (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 27, 2016
Loved my job,sometimes mgmt had no idea what it took to get the impossible done or did not care .Paid me enough to keep trucking. My average caseload was about 1000
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Overworked and pushed to do impossible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our community is ready to answer.