Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employer Reviews

Caring and Productive enviorment
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee), MassachusettsMarch 13, 2015
Pros: job security, great atmosphere
A typical day at work consists of receiving shift report, greeting the persons served, reading shift notes, medication verification, bed checks and client related duties.
The area of help is looked at as a rewarding job for me.
Developmental Disabilities/ CNA (Former Employee), Harding Street, Chelmsford. MAMarch 10, 2015
I love helping people, so my day of work was fun and often looked at it as a hobby because I enjoyed every minute of work. We had a great team who contributed in making the work fun. Sometimes there were a few slaps here and there due to others mistakes, however I often looked it constructively to help me better what i enjoy doing
If you have no aspriations, this is a great place to work.
IT (Current Employee), BostonMarch 8, 2015
Pros: mbta employees get free passes
Cons: raises and advancement are impossible
The pay is ridiculously below market, and advancement is very limited. Due to the union, there are strict rules about what you can and cannot do - this is a pro and a con. If you want to advance your career and salary, this is a con.

If you want to punch a clock and get paid for doing 50% of the work you are supposed to - this the place for you to work.
Enjoyed my time working for Commonwealth of MA. Very dedicated to its cause.
Administrator IV (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: the lack of recognition for hard work done...promotions
A typical day at work starts at 7:00 and ends at 6:00 or sometimes later.

Great leaders, mission, values and goals of the organization that I worked for.

Hardest part of the job is running into obstacles that do not allow you to fulfill your dream

Most enjoyable part of the job is help people succeed.
Hard work
Collective Bargaining Election Specialist II (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 2, 2015
All day long I greet Attorneys and their clients that are there for hearing. An additional duty is answering the phone, but the duty that consumes most of my time is inputting data to the database my office uses.

The hardest part of working in my job is interacting with people who are frustrated with the system. I find it best to have a good attitude as two bad attitudes can make things worst. Sometimes the person on the phone or the other side of the counter is grateful and it is those people that make working with the public something I have done for most of my life
stagnant culture, on paper good job
Senior Health Policy Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2015
stagnant culture, still looking for identity. on paper job is great in practice it is not. Lack of mobility because of union structure, only 2% salary increase per year allowed. promotions are based on schedule not achievement.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), Norfolk, MAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: the people in the field and clients
Cons: when you find out someone has relapsed or worst
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I find out a client is still sober and has started to live sobriety as a way of life not just a phase. Even if only one person stays sober its still better then another who might not make it at all.
High stress, multi tasking required BUT an excellent staff to work with in office.
Social Worker, BERS A/B (Current Employee), Chelsea, MAJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: no time for breaks, not enough time to replenish yourself during the day due to demanding nature of the job.
This job has provided me the opportunity to work with some terrific people and learn from co-workers on a daily basis. A typical days entails much multi-tasking, mostly consisting of interaction with client base in person and on the telephone. The job has gone from client oriented ( worker carrying a caseload) to a workload model and a lot of interaction with the clients by telephone not affording much interpersonal interaction with the client base. The hardest part of the job is not being able to serve the population who so desperately need the service . The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers who show me the positive side of this job each day and are always wiling to challenge themselves with the amount of work that is required of each and everyone of them. We share in laughter and light hearted conversation to keep up the positivity in the work place and they are the best part of the day just by being co-workers a well as friends.
Again, great mission helping elders
Executive Office of Elder Affairs (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 22, 2014
Pros: great colleagues, great mission
Cons: low pay
The Pharmacy Program was a simple subsidy of something like 1,200 per elder against expenses for medication.
security
Institutional Security Officer II (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 21, 2014
I act as a Dispatcher and I respond to emergency calls including Police, Fire and EMS
I closely monitor over 74 surveillance cameras
I use CCTV to document events or to assist with investigations.
I prevent illegal activities
I prevent people from harm and prevent properties from damage
I also do customer service which is required to do
Highly productive and gratifying!
Account Clerk / Associate Deputy of the Registrar (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 16, 2014
Reviewed and provided comments on the adequacy of documents and took necessary steps to cure any deficiencies. Documents were filed by both attorneys and pro se litigants.
Prepared and/or responded to correspondence received by attorneys and pro se litigants.
Very Good
Developmental Services Worker (Current Employee), Hubbardston, MADecember 3, 2014
Pros: spectacular benefits, plenty of opportunities for paid overtime, free trainings, job security, and strong teamwork emphasis
Cons: forced overtime from time-to-time, occasionally can be very stressful, lazy workers
I truly enjoy working for the State for the Department of Developmental Services. I truly feel I fill a very noble cause and it feels very fulfilling helping individuals in need. A typical day is taking clients to appointments, to events (church, dances, parties, community events, ect.,), cooking, cleaning, giving medication, and assisting in care. The State is much, MUCH better than the private sector. I absolutely cannot emphasize that enough. I strongly recommend anyone looking to work in human services go with THE STATE, NOT THE PRIVATE SECTOR. I learned so much about both myself and fellow man. My coworkers and managers were all very positive, and we all treated each other equally and with respect. The most difficult part of the job I would have to say is that sometimes clients were difficult to work with and some workers area bit lazy. But aside from that, I strongly, strongly recommend applying for a job at the Department of Developmental Services for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
fun place to work
Social worker III (Current Employee), Lynn, MADecember 1, 2014
Lynn Mental Health cares greatly about his clients and made sure that ther human rights are protected.
Help to developed individual with mental challenges
MHW111 (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 21, 2014
Daily observation of individual with problem solving.
learned how medical interaction could create more issue , if not check.
management by objective and team work
na
Executive Office of Administration & Finance (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 18, 2014
It was good and I learned new skills. I highly reccommend this employer
All politics
Compliance Officer (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 13, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: shady working environment
I enjoy the people I work with but the structure of public work is flawed.
Reported to the Area Director on a daily basis.
Clerk IV (Former Employee), Leominster, MANovember 10, 2014
Pros: the case workers were a great bunch of people, very pleasant and professional.
Cons: not an enjoyable atmosphere in the front office. very disappointing.
For the 3 years I worked for the Department of Mental Retardation, my role was to supervise two clerks of a lesser grade. I interacted with the general public, including North Central Area Office Board Members.

I learned that I am not supervisory material.

My manager, who was also the Area Director, was very difficult to work with, for the most part, very strict but very good at what she did. She was very professional and was very compassionate for the clients, as well as their families.

I found it to be very difficult supervising two grown women who refused to take direction from the very first day I started working at the Dept. of Mental Retardation. I found this to be the hardest part of the job.

I hate to say this but the most enjoyable part of the job was when the State offered the early retirement package. I know I could have bumped someone from another location, if I wanted to but I would not have felt right in doing that.
Great place to work.
Project Analyst Contractor (Current Employee), Quincy, MANovember 5, 2014
People are nice. Good location. Very professional. Everyone is a good worker.
Audited public and quasi-public agencies for fiscal and policy compliance
Office of the State Auditor (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: varied and detailed work
Cons: political
I worked as a field auditor, and then as an auditor-in-charge, of projects all over the state, for several years,
Extremely hostile environment
Direct care worker (Former Employee), MassachusettsSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: clients
Cons: discrimination on every level
Having worked in this field for over 15 years i thought i had experienced the pros and cons of working with an agency who support their clients and employees. First off the training i was provided during orientation was a joke. I was excited to start a job where i knew i would make a huge difference in the people we service. The agency made so many promises. The hiring process was a joke and the man who hired me was unprofessional lazy and clearly not good at his job. I was placed in a medical home with no training and with staff who were not willing to accept someone with experience into the home. The house manager was two faced a gossip and extremely unprofessional. Due to reporting an incident witnessed i was moved to another home in Amesbury. Again i was not welcomed and treated poorly (I have a very thick skin ) I was was told because I was perceived as gay I would not be accepted due to the religious beliefs of the house supervisor (a cruel and abusive woman ) and the foreign house staff. This disgusting behavior was present throughout my employment. I filed several complaints with no result. I feel bad for the residents of that home because I witnessed abuse verbally and physically. I resigned with no follow up from management. I am now working in a healthy environment with staff with compassion.

1 2 3 4