Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews in United States

A good place to work
Benefit Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 4, 2016
When I was reviewing cases and resolving issues over the phone I learned about a diverse population and backgrounds and no matter where you come from, an individual, at some time in life will need a hand to help, and I was happy to be there to do exactly that.

Management was very professional, reliable and efficient.
My co-workers were very friendly and professional.

The hardest part of my job was when I was not able to help individuals that were in need and were not eligible for any programs.

My most enjoyable part of the day was when I helped members and they were so appreciative, I could feel the relieve they felt to know that that problem was solved.
Pros
Professionalism, Team Work, Flexibility, Salary and Benefits
Cons
Not enough manpower
Since I worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I would say, overall, it was a rewarding experience.
Program coordinator/consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston and Quincy, MAJanuary 14, 2016
Having worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I gained insight into myself, my coworkers, and how government works or doesn't work. I made many long-lasting personal relationships. Most of my administrative jobs were tedious...part of the job itself...attention to detail was prerequisite. Management was sometimes good...sometimes not very helpful or encouraging. Most of my coworkers were terrific...hardworking, fun, and generous. Without them, work would have been very hard. The hardest part of my job was downtime...nature of the job. I don't like sitting around doing nothing. The most enjoyable part was joking with close coworkers (friends) and working together to get a job done.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Downtime, tediousness of certain tasks, people who don't do their jobs.
Empowering
REGIONAL HOMELESS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2016
Very fast pace work environment in helping low income families find emergency assistance. Extremely rewarding career, great colleague, and no work day are the same.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
no room for growth
Decent benefits.Poor management
state lab institute monkey (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 5, 2015
Only thing going working for the state is the benefits and flexibility. Poor management, only concerned with their pockets and absolutely no room for advancement due to "budget" however every year management finds money for themselves.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
management, no room to advance
Extremely busy, working with a very diverse population, Provide assistance to many needy individuals and families
Assistant Director (Program Manager VI) (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MassachusettsSeptember 17, 2015
Busiest transitional assistance office in the state. Responsible for providing financial and nutritional assistance to a very diverse population of clients throughout the Commonwealth. It is a highly stressful environment that requires a great deal of flexibility while also maintaining the ability to prioritize multiple tasks each day. Responsible for the management of over 100 employees. Vast knowledge of federal and state regulations is crucial to successfully serving our clientele.
Pros
Provide assistance to needy families and individuals of the Commonwealth
Cons
Long hours, Long Commute, Highly Stressful
Fast pace environment and multitask skill required
Acount clerk I (Former Employee) –  Brighton Municipal court and Rmv WatertownJune 25, 2015
The day started with a lot of data entry, answering phones, dealing with cash register, greeting and assisting the general public, filling or any other related tasks.
I've learned the due process of the court system, criminal and civil matters. I also learned about identify legitimacy of documents required to be presented in other to issue DL or Mass ID.
Management was impersonal a lot left to desire. I enjoyed working with my colleagues, however some of them were very territorial due seniority which develops an unpleasant environment rather hostile.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the general public, assisting them and being able to interact with a vast array of people.
Pros
hours was 8:30 t0 4:30 with an hour lunch Monday - Friday, no weekends
Cons
too much politics
High intensity work with little to no advancement.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMay 13, 2016
I LOVED my job. To prevent risk to the vulnerable, while keeping them safe was why I wanted to work everyday. I am a better person for having worked with some of my co-workers and vendors throughout my career. My job was most difficult when I could not provide the safety needs of an individual due to the decision making of my superiors.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no advancement position or in salary
Busy and rewarding
director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2016
Working in the public sector is a unique opportunity to see how goverment works. Prior to state service I built 3 businesses from the ground up with over 100 employees. I enjoyed the opportunity to work in the public sector.
Pros
Great benefits
Excellent
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 30, 2015
Excellent working conditions. Excellent benefits,Great supervisors who mentored and helped with all aspects of the job. Quota's were clearly stated and met. Security of all clients information was of the utmost importance, and treating people with respect a high priority..
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Home visits sometime took you to unsafe area's, while working alone.
Reasons to work here
Paralegal - State Board of Retirement (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2016
I have found my colleagues to be friendly and supportive and professional. When you are having a bad day or week, there are always people here to listen. The hardest part of my job is the inability to get answers to questions from management and overall job responsibilities are not challenging.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Commute
A place that helps you futher your education.
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
Great place willing to train you in different health care settings. Helps you find jobs within reach. However, the pay was very basic and you never got raises. Your schedule was flexed and sometimes you only found out the place you were going to the day off.
Pros
Trained you
Cons
Not enough money
Lpn for Dept Developmental Services
LPN Dept Developmental services (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MAJuly 16, 2016
Working with disabled people is nice. That's the end of the pros. When they told me there is the possibility of mandatory OT they didn't tell me it was a common staffing practice. I get forced OT 2-3 times a week for no less than 4hrs and often 8hrs so you better enjoy working 16hr shifts and not being able to keep any appointments in your personal life. The pay rate is awful but I wanted to help disabled people so I left my job and took this one even though they wouldn't allow me to do a walk through prior to hire. This was my mistake and I now regret it, I can't even take interviews because every time I have an interview I get forced to do mandatory OT causing me to not be able to interview and fix the mistake I've made. It's a nightmare. You can't have a family or a life with this position. You also will find yourself fighting to stay within your scope of practice and abide by the laws that govern your license since you are supervised by non-medical personnel who will treat you with disdain and show zero sympathy for the tremendous disruption their scheduling imposes on you or your family.
Pros
If you can make it ten years you will be vested in the retirement plan/pension, disabled people
Cons
Mandatory OT constantly, potential to put license in jeopardy frequently, working 16 hours with no lunch breaks, unpleasant and unprofessional organization
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 28, 2016
My days were eight hours and they were fun and enjoyable. The students were bright and ready to learn. My work was so enjoyable that I really enjoyed it very much. I have made lifelong friends and to me that is worth more than money can buy.
Pros
Great views of the city and shopping discounts
Cons
the travel to work
Excellence in Public Service
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 4, 2015
The Commonwealth represents the best in public service. There is good management, sound financial controls and high expertise for employees relative to their jobs at all organizational levels. Yet, the human touch is maintained with a warm, welcoming environment and collaboration between disciplines.
Pros
Human touch combined with good management.
Cons
Too many Patriot fans.
Great networking place
Director of Constituent Services (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2016
Great place to build great network. Get to help people connect to governmental agency for services. Government and community relation liaison,
Pros
Great network place
Cons
Too many late night
Excellent compensation and benefits
Office Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 10, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Exceptional benefits and compensation. Good friends were made there. Job security was not what I thought it was.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Cons
stress
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2015
RCC was a great place to work. I enjoyed the interaction with faculty and staff. I meet so many good people at the College.
Pros
Cons
Politics
Excellent large scale enterprise environments
Senior Infrastructure Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2016
Many sites and organizations requiring experts. Many of the staff are extremely well trained and knowledgable in many areas of Information Technology and in particular Cyber Security.
wonderful place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MA 02720June 11, 2016
good place with job security
wonderful colleagues
A place to gain advance experience
safety of independent cleint
staff and clients
Fun workplace
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex, MAApril 28, 2016
I spent many years here and developed a lot of friendships and lasting memories. I credit this position with helping me develop a lot of communication and people skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our community is ready to answer.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews by Location