Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews in United States

MicroManagement
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 5, 2016
just do your job keep your head down and stay away from the gossipers and you will do fine.
Learned a lot have to deal with people thinking you were taking on their jobs. Could not help some people as they were insecure they would yell at you. Very hostile environment management allowed some people to be abused and when brought to management they tried to turn it on U.
Some teams were not professional at all. Management on power trips. I wish I had my old boss back he was awesome. He retired
Pros
alot of down time
Cons
watch your every move
High intensity work with little to no advancement.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMay 13, 2016
I LOVED my job. To prevent risk to the vulnerable, while keeping them safe was why I wanted to work everyday. I am a better person for having worked with some of my co-workers and vendors throughout my career. My job was most difficult when I could not provide the safety needs of an individual due to the decision making of my superiors.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no advancement position or in salary
Like a roller coaster.
Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Worcester County, MAAugust 22, 2016
Difficult working with a state agency as they are more focused on budget aims and public opinions. Working with the population that we worked with had many variables and could not change their behaviors over night. Often services needed were not available when needed our insurances would not pay for it. Workers were often put in dangerous situations without back up.
However, the clients could be the most appreciative people and your co-workers were your most supportive friends in a crisis they never let you down. You could never predict what your day would be like as your clients where so unpredictable and meetings could be scheduled without you knowing. You learn to be very flexable and so much about the personalities of people.
Pros
Steady work, pay check, health insurance, retirement
Cons
High caseloads, high expectations, not enough support
Reasons to work here
Paralegal - State Board of Retirement (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2016
I have found my colleagues to be friendly and supportive and professional. When you are having a bad day or week, there are always people here to listen. The hardest part of my job is the inability to get answers to questions from management and overall job responsibilities are not challenging.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Commute
A place that helps you futher your education.
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
Great place willing to train you in different health care settings. Helps you find jobs within reach. However, the pay was very basic and you never got raises. Your schedule was flexed and sometimes you only found out the place you were going to the day off.
Pros
Trained you
Cons
Not enough money
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 28, 2016
My days were eight hours and they were fun and enjoyable. The students were bright and ready to learn. My work was so enjoyable that I really enjoyed it very much. I have made lifelong friends and to me that is worth more than money can buy.
Pros
Great views of the city and shopping discounts
Cons
the travel to work
A great place to work
Assistant Manager, Accounting Department (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 12, 2016
A rewarding experience. Wonderful work associates, great environment and the hardest part of the job was all the computer programs. Very challenging and state of the art. Will receive support and professional development.
Great co-workers
Benefits Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAJuly 9, 2016
Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job is that the systems being used at MassHealth have never worked correctly. This makes the job very frustrating for every worker in the under 65 division.
Pleasant and productive work place
Program Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MassachusettsAugust 15, 2016
Typical day at work is pleasant, work and interact with co-wokers on various projects as well as work independently to complete other assigned tasks.
Pros
pleasant workin conditions
Cons
short lunch breaks
A good place to work
Benefit Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 4, 2016
When I was reviewing cases and resolving issues over the phone I learned about a diverse population and backgrounds and no matter where you come from, an individual, at some time in life will need a hand to help, and I was happy to be there to do exactly that.

Management was very professional, reliable and efficient.
My co-workers were very friendly and professional.

The hardest part of my job was when I was not able to help individuals that were in need and were not eligible for any programs.

My most enjoyable part of the day was when I helped members and they were so appreciative, I could feel the relieve they felt to know that that problem was solved.
Pros
Professionalism, Team Work, Flexibility, Salary and Benefits
Cons
Not enough manpower
Great networking place
Director of Constituent Services (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2016
Great place to build great network. Get to help people connect to governmental agency for services. Government and community relation liaison,
Pros
Great network place
Cons
Too many late night
Excellent large scale enterprise environments
Senior Infrastructure Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2016
Many sites and organizations requiring experts. Many of the staff are extremely well trained and knowledgable in many areas of Information Technology and in particular Cyber Security.
Excellent compensation and benefits
Office Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 10, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Exceptional benefits and compensation. Good friends were made there. Job security was not what I thought it was.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Cons
stress
Fun workplace
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex, MAApril 28, 2016
I spent many years here and developed a lot of friendships and lasting memories. I credit this position with helping me develop a lot of communication and people skills.
Since I worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I would say, overall, it was a rewarding experience.
Program coordinator/consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston and Quincy, MAJanuary 14, 2016
Having worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I gained insight into myself, my coworkers, and how government works or doesn't work. I made many long-lasting personal relationships. Most of my administrative jobs were tedious...part of the job itself...attention to detail was prerequisite. Management was sometimes good...sometimes not very helpful or encouraging. Most of my coworkers were terrific...hardworking, fun, and generous. Without them, work would have been very hard. The hardest part of my job was downtime...nature of the job. I don't like sitting around doing nothing. The most enjoyable part was joking with close coworkers (friends) and working together to get a job done.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Downtime, tediousness of certain tasks, people who don't do their jobs.
Empowering
REGIONAL HOMELESS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2016
Very fast pace work environment in helping low income families find emergency assistance. Extremely rewarding career, great colleague, and no work day are the same.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
no room for growth
wonderful place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MA 02720June 11, 2016
good place with job security
wonderful colleagues
A place to gain advance experience
safety of independent cleint
staff and clients
I love my job
Fiscal Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MADecember 12, 2015
A typical day consist of assisting the public and Attorney's with the daily court information. Prepare dockets, Application for Criminal Complaints, summons and warrants. My day also consist of assisting the Clerk-Magistrates and Judges with administrative tasks.
Pros
You meet some very nice people on both ends of the spectrum.
Cons
Somethings need fixing
Challenging work load, good working environment
Executive Office of Health and Human Services (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAMarch 5, 2016
End-User support of Windows 7 desktop and Microsoft 2012 server environments. User account maintenance and maintaining inventory.
Enjoyed my Job
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 20, 2016
Loved my job. Great environment, constantly busy, and learned a lot.
Public service, greet and advised clients on hearings protocol everyday.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews by Location