Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Decent pay, management not so great.
State Employee (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MASeptember 19, 2017
Your days are spent answering phones, performing data entry, and preparing appeals. Toxic work environment. Management micromanage workers and make workers lives miserable. Most people are unhappy workers trying to leave.
Very stressful place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 18, 2017
Overall, the Commonwealth provides job security and great benefits. The job itself in claims is very stressful, between taking incoming customer service calls a great portion of the day, meeting weekly deadlines, processing and reviewing case material all in a typical work day.
Pros
Great Co Workers
Cons
Multitasking all day long
No review.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 24, 2017
Typical day includes providing support to program Directors. Back up support to Executive office. Supervise subordinates. Send out materials for Board meetings on as-neede basis.
stressful but rewarding
Assessment - Social Worker C (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 21, 2017
Out of the office visiting families and chldren in crisis. Managment took time to listen to issues and worked closely with every one. Hardest part of the job was taking children ffrom their homes.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
removing children
Administrative for several executives
Administrative Asst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2017
Fast moving, multitasking became my second nature...loved it. My direct manager started in my position. This gave me great incentive to work harder and identify with the requirements to achieve these goals.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
travel
work view
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAAugust 18, 2017
at this job, i learnt a lot. about caring for people. working with the meentally ill, it made me happy when i would see a smile in their face after taking care of them
Territory Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAJuly 28, 2017
Great place to work. Everybody worked as a team and was very helpful.The management team was very supportive of the sales people. The products were very unique and cutting edge.
Great place to work and feel lucky to have learned so much.
Human service coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 19, 2017
I have worked advocating for folks with disabilities for many years. The majority of my caseload consists of people who are dually diagnosed; developmentally disabled with mental health issues. I have helped people find jobs, get into residential programs, respite facilities and work closely with families. I have done many other jobs prior to this. I have worked in group homes and day programs, restaurants, labs, coffee shops. I enjoy bring part of a team and making a difference.
Pros
Great people to work with and being able to help folks
Cons
New management
great place for career advancement.
Senior Developmental Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MAJuly 11, 2017
Learn how to work well with various individuals with various disabilities.
Management are well organized.
Various benefit available to employee.
Hard part of the job, is dealing with individuals with various kind of behavior.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
short break
Hostile work environment and should not be a human services provider
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middleboro, MAJuly 7, 2017
I was told that when started came in with a "very contagious rejuvenating and uplifting spirit" and by the time management had discovered a way to get rid of me, I did not want to be a nurse anymore. Some individuals on this site have done an excellent job with the truth. I have never experienced such hostility and dense negativity in an environment of care for fellow human beings.
For the sake of your sanity and that of loved ones, RUN.
Pros
Caring for individuals with disabilities
Cons
Mental, emotional, and, physical trauma
Overall solid job
Regional Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2017
Overall solid job. You are allowed to make a difference in the lives of people that have a disability by helping to coordinate their services that benefits and that allows them to live independently in the community.
Enjoyed Working there
Developmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Wrentham, MAJune 15, 2017
I had lots of fun working with the clientele... Friendly and caring staff... hard working environment, but it evens out with the activities. Everyday is something different to see
Excellent organization for performing cross skill Tasks
EDiscovery Archive Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2017
I Learned new Technologies and applications with regard to EDiscovery.
I also learned and gained experiences as a Business Analyst and Scrum Agile project management.
Management is great.
Quagmire..Loss of focus
Architectural Designer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 26, 2017
The only thing growing here is the Boston Office. There is an officer for any interest, but no one to call when checks are six months late. One guy used to handle the entire state, now with burgeoning budget and staff, half the state is neglected.
A Great day at court
Associate Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2017
My day starts off, by helping individuals at the counter, who may have got arrested the night before, summoned into court or there to remove a default warrant. I then go to my assigned courtroom and represent probation in that courtroom, which my be the arraignment, pre-trial or trial session. I also have case load of individuals who are on probation for first time OUI's, administrative and courtesy testing for other courts for individuals who live outside of that court's jurisdiction.

My supervisor's are great people who give you room to grow and are open to new ideas and suggestions and who also want you to succeed and move on if so desired.
My fellow co-workers are great to work with, because we are all there to do a job and to make sure that the work is getting done to perfection.

Working as an Associate Probation Officer is quite rewarding for me, because I am able to meet people form different backgrounds and cultures. Interactions with individuals who come into court, where you are able to to make there experience there less stressful and in some cases and enjoyable one, and knowing that you never know if you could be on the other side of that counter, seeking help from a person who cares.
Pros
Great work atmosphere, no micro-management, exposure to people from all walks of life
Cons
Court sessions can run late...some times
My first job working for the govenment
Scrum Master and Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2017
My first government job. I learned a great deal. The challenge in working for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is that the various agencies have their own agendas -- sometimes for valid reasons --
and sometimes work in different directions.
Big waste of time to apply here. CNO is a joke
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Western Mass HospitalMay 11, 2017
For this to be a state hospital , it is run very poorly,and not efficient at all. Met some great coworkers there, but also some of the worst dishonest disrespectful as well. Miserable long term employees are known to sabotage new employees, and it is a known fact! I was told by one of the union members. Truly sad state of affairs. Too bad for the patients who have to endure the high employee turnover. This is there home, that has been turned in to a mess to say the least. If things continue this way this hospital will eventually be closed down.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Terrible management skills
I loved resolving problems !
Helpdesk/Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2017
Received and resolved 10-20 technical calls daily by phone/email
• Visited the users at their desks and resolved problems
• Troubleshoot network scanning, and configure for the use, resolve network printing
• Installed, troubleshoot company applications and replace pieces of hardware in PCs within company
• Re-imaged PCs from Symantec Ghost disk, upgrade computers and troubleshoot login problems
• Reinstalled new Operating System 2000/XP on PC
Great
Internship (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 1, 2017
Worked in a great environment, very professional and busy. Learn a lot about, the par rate is great and more room for growth at the state, great for networking
Very diverse community is being served here.
Client Assistance Coordinator/SNAP Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 25, 2017
Being a Client Assistance Coordinator has given me the opportunity to administer public assistance to low-income families on a daily basis. I provide a high level of service to all those in need of our services. I have the opportunity to work with people of diverse communities and learn new cultures. The hardest part of the job is not being able to provide families with assistance with their utility bills when experiencing hardship. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I make a family smile.