Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

I worked for a great company.
Cleaner (Former Employee), Framingham, MAApril 3, 2015
Pros: I learn something
Cons: Ilearn something
I learned that works as good as you make it , So I take in every that I can loearn and grow from . A day at work for is doig my daily requirements and helping my co-worker.
Energetic environment and friendly co-workers
State 911 Training Specialist (Current Employee), MassachusettsApril 1, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Training new classes every day gives me the opportunity to meet new people from all across the state. I learned about the different types of equipment that other agencies use and was able to become proficient. My co-workers are friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is when there are no classes to teach on a particular day. I am passionate about 911 and EMS and enjoy being able to instruct others.
okay
DPL-Administrative Assistant, Board of Barbers (Current Employee), boston, maMarch 26, 2015
i was atemp there, so no benefits, i didnt really like it... because i was a temp. but i enjoy working there, lots of nice people
Great People - Process based work environment
Enterprise Infrastructure Architect Intern (Current Employee), Chelsea, MAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: department silos
- Great people to work with/for
- Laid back environment
- Slow turnaround time for most projects
- Process based projects & approvals
- Public Sector
Caring and Productive enviorment
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee), MassachusettsMarch 13, 2015
Pros: job security, great atmosphere
A typical day at work consists of receiving shift report, greeting the persons served, reading shift notes, medication verification, bed checks and client related duties.
The area of help is looked at as a rewarding job for me.
Developmental Disabilities/ CNA (Former Employee), Harding Street, Chelmsford. MAMarch 10, 2015
I love helping people, so my day of work was fun and often looked at it as a hobby because I enjoyed every minute of work. We had a great team who contributed in making the work fun. Sometimes there were a few slaps here and there due to others mistakes, however I often looked it constructively to help me better what i enjoy doing
If you have no aspriations, this is a great place to work.
IT (Current Employee), BostonMarch 8, 2015
Pros: mbta employees get free passes
Cons: raises and advancement are impossible
The pay is ridiculously below market, and advancement is very limited. Due to the union, there are strict rules about what you can and cannot do - this is a pro and a con. If you want to advance your career and salary, this is a con.

If you want to punch a clock and get paid for doing 50% of the work you are supposed to - this the place for you to work.
Enjoyed my time working for Commonwealth of MA. Very dedicated to its cause.
Administrator IV (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: the lack of recognition for hard work done...promotions
A typical day at work starts at 7:00 and ends at 6:00 or sometimes later.

Great leaders, mission, values and goals of the organization that I worked for.

Hardest part of the job is running into obstacles that do not allow you to fulfill your dream

Most enjoyable part of the job is help people succeed.
Hard work
Collective Bargaining Election Specialist II (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 2, 2015
All day long I greet Attorneys and their clients that are there for hearing. An additional duty is answering the phone, but the duty that consumes most of my time is inputting data to the database my office uses.

The hardest part of working in my job is interacting with people who are frustrated with the system. I find it best to have a good attitude as two bad attitudes can make things worst. Sometimes the person on the phone or the other side of the counter is grateful and it is those people that make working with the public something I have done for most of my life
stagnant culture, on paper good job
Senior Health Policy Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2015
stagnant culture, still looking for identity. on paper job is great in practice it is not. Lack of mobility because of union structure, only 2% salary increase per year allowed. promotions are based on schedule not achievement.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), Norfolk, MAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: the people in the field and clients
Cons: when you find out someone has relapsed or worst
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I find out a client is still sober and has started to live sobriety as a way of life not just a phase. Even if only one person stays sober its still better then another who might not make it at all.
High stress, multi tasking required BUT an excellent staff to work with in office.
Social Worker, BERS A/B (Current Employee), Chelsea, MAJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: no time for breaks, not enough time to replenish yourself during the day due to demanding nature of the job.
This job has provided me the opportunity to work with some terrific people and learn from co-workers on a daily basis. A typical days entails much multi-tasking, mostly consisting of interaction with client base in person and on the telephone. The job has gone from client oriented ( worker carrying a caseload) to a workload model and a lot of interaction with the clients by telephone not affording much interpersonal interaction with the client base. The hardest part of the job is not being able to serve the population who so desperately need the service . The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers who show me the positive side of this job each day and are always wiling to challenge themselves with the amount of work that is required of each and everyone of them. We share in laughter and light hearted conversation to keep up the positivity in the work place and they are the best part of the day just by being co-workers a well as friends.
Again, great mission helping elders
Executive Office of Elder Affairs (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 22, 2014
Pros: great colleagues, great mission
Cons: low pay
The Pharmacy Program was a simple subsidy of something like 1,200 per elder against expenses for medication.
security
Institutional Security Officer II (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 21, 2014
I act as a Dispatcher and I respond to emergency calls including Police, Fire and EMS
I closely monitor over 74 surveillance cameras
I use CCTV to document events or to assist with investigations.
I prevent illegal activities
I prevent people from harm and prevent properties from damage
I also do customer service which is required to do
Highly productive and gratifying!
Account Clerk / Associate Deputy of the Registrar (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 16, 2014
Reviewed and provided comments on the adequacy of documents and took necessary steps to cure any deficiencies. Documents were filed by both attorneys and pro se litigants.
Prepared and/or responded to correspondence received by attorneys and pro se litigants.
Very Good
Developmental Services Worker (Current Employee), Hubbardston, MADecember 3, 2014
Pros: spectacular benefits, plenty of opportunities for paid overtime, free trainings, job security, and strong teamwork emphasis
Cons: forced overtime from time-to-time, occasionally can be very stressful, lazy workers
I truly enjoy working for the State for the Department of Developmental Services. I truly feel I fill a very noble cause and it feels very fulfilling helping individuals in need. A typical day is taking clients to appointments, to events (church, dances, parties, community events, ect.,), cooking, cleaning, giving medication, and assisting in care. The State is much, MUCH better than the private sector. I absolutely cannot emphasize that enough. I strongly recommend anyone looking to work in human services go with THE STATE, NOT THE PRIVATE SECTOR. I learned so much about both myself and fellow man. My coworkers and managers were all very positive, and we all treated each other equally and with respect. The most difficult part of the job I would have to say is that sometimes clients were difficult to work with and some workers area bit lazy. But aside from that, I strongly, strongly recommend applying for a job at the Department of Developmental Services for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
fun place to work
Social worker III (Current Employee), Lynn, MADecember 1, 2014
Lynn Mental Health cares greatly about his clients and made sure that ther human rights are protected.
Help to developed individual with mental challenges
MHW111 (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 21, 2014
Daily observation of individual with problem solving.
learned how medical interaction could create more issue , if not check.
management by objective and team work
na
Executive Office of Administration & Finance (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 18, 2014
It was good and I learned new skills. I highly reccommend this employer
All politics
Compliance Officer (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 13, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: shady working environment
I enjoy the people I work with but the structure of public work is flawed.

1 2 3 4

$80,000 per year
Mental Health Technician
$35,000 per year

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Photos

Fund Raising bake sale for the adolescent assessment unit. I'm seated.
Sailing on the Indian Ocean