Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews in United States

A place that helps you futher your education.
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
Great place willing to train you in different health care settings. Helps you find jobs within reach. However, the pay was very basic and you never got raises. Your schedule was flexed and sometimes you only found out the place you were going to the day off.
Pros
Trained you
Cons
Not enough money
High intensity work with little to no advancement.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMay 13, 2016
I LOVED my job. To prevent risk to the vulnerable, while keeping them safe was why I wanted to work everyday. I am a better person for having worked with some of my co-workers and vendors throughout my career. My job was most difficult when I could not provide the safety needs of an individual due to the decision making of my superiors.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no advancement position or in salary
State operated group homes
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 5, 2016
Hours and scheduling was excellent. Compensation is great. Workload tends to be unfair. Certain employees get more slack while others are held to extremely high standards.
Fun workplace
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex, MAApril 28, 2016
I spent many years here and developed a lot of friendships and lasting memories. I credit this position with helping me develop a lot of communication and people skills.
Enjoyed my Job
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 20, 2016
Loved my job. Great environment, constantly busy, and learned a lot.
Public service, greet and advised clients on hearings protocol everyday.
Excellent large scale enterprise environments
Senior Infrastructure Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2016
Many sites and organizations requiring experts. Many of the staff are extremely well trained and knowledgable in many areas of Information Technology and in particular Cyber Security.
Challenging but rewarding work.
Program Manager IV (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAMarch 23, 2016
The agency managed fifty five group homes throughout SE Massachusetts. It is a 24 hour, 365 days a year system that supported people in all aspects of life.
Empowering
REGIONAL HOMELESS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2016
Very fast pace work environment in helping low income families find emergency assistance. Extremely rewarding career, great colleague, and no work day are the same.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
no room for growth
Challenging work load, good working environment
Executive Office of Health and Human Services (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAMarch 5, 2016
End-User support of Windows 7 desktop and Microsoft 2012 server environments. User account maintenance and maintaining inventory.
A good place to work
Benefit Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 4, 2016
When I was reviewing cases and resolving issues over the phone I learned about a diverse population and backgrounds and no matter where you come from, an individual, at some time in life will need a hand to help, and I was happy to be there to do exactly that.

Management was very professional, reliable and efficient.
My co-workers were very friendly and professional.

The hardest part of my job was when I was not able to help individuals that were in need and were not eligible for any programs.

My most enjoyable part of the day was when I helped members and they were so appreciative, I could feel the relieve they felt to know that that problem was solved.
Pros
Professionalism, Team Work, Flexibility, Salary and Benefits
Cons
Not enough manpower
Busy and rewarding
director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2016
Working in the public sector is a unique opportunity to see how goverment works. Prior to state service I built 3 businesses from the ground up with over 100 employees. I enjoyed the opportunity to work in the public sector.
Pros
Great benefits
Great start
case worker (tracking and program) (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAJanuary 17, 2016
I started my career with the Key Program. I was an outreach and tracking case worker but my position was cut and Key offered me hours at two different locations (temporary old Methuen and a worchester program) until a full time position opened at Old Methuen. I spent majority of my time at Old Methuen but did bounce back to tracking and over to the boys program before moving to a supervisor position at the ALP. After Key I was a VWA with the DA's office and currently I am a Probation Officer.

Although I have not worked for the Key Program for years now I use the skills I learned there in my work everyday. The caseworker position in programs and tracking is a difficult position to say the least but you learn more skills not only about working with difficult people but more importantly about yourself. If you can survive in your time as a caseworker you can do anything. Working in other positions since I have skills that I learned from Key that just many of my coworkers now have yet to learn. I could not encourage anyone more to start as a caseworker whether an internship or a job. With that on your resume and the skills you learn. You will make a successful in this field.

To this day some of my best friends are the people I met at Key. You go through an experience unlike any other and a support system that will bond you for years beyond Key. Whenever I have needed help, resource, reference, etc. Key is my first call.

Along my travels I have come across former clients and I have not hesitated to ask about their time in Key as they have moved on, aged out, grew
  more... up etc. Many will tell you Key was a turning point in their lives. Key has many many success stories some large, some small, some personal, some professional. But as you meet people in all different positions in this field many ...many... have started with the Key Program.

After the long nights hours and days the tough shifts.. I miss it sometimes even to this day. And if you are starting a job in this field - Key is a great place to start, learn, and grow.
Pros
Learning, growing, relationship building with coworkers and clients
Cons
Terrible hours, long shifts, you eat with the clients
Since I worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I would say, overall, it was a rewarding experience.
Program coordinator/consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston and Quincy, MAJanuary 14, 2016
Having worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I gained insight into myself, my coworkers, and how government works or doesn't work. I made many long-lasting personal relationships. Most of my administrative jobs were tedious...part of the job itself...attention to detail was prerequisite. Management was sometimes good...sometimes not very helpful or encouraging. Most of my coworkers were terrific...hardworking, fun, and generous. Without them, work would have been very hard. The hardest part of my job was downtime...nature of the job. I don't like sitting around doing nothing. The most enjoyable part was joking with close coworkers (friends) and working together to get a job done.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Downtime, tediousness of certain tasks, people who don't do their jobs.
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2015
RCC was a great place to work. I enjoyed the interaction with faculty and staff. I meet so many good people at the College.
Pros
Cons
Politics
great job
Mental Health Counselor I - Belmont Street (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
great job with great people who want to hep others, the freedom to talk to clinets a d build report with them, I was able to play pool or ping while consulting with clients about life plans
I love my job
Fiscal Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MADecember 12, 2015
A typical day consist of assisting the public and Attorney's with the daily court information. Prepare dockets, Application for Criminal Complaints, summons and warrants. My day also consist of assisting the Clerk-Magistrates and Judges with administrative tasks.
Pros
You meet some very nice people on both ends of the spectrum.
Cons
Somethings need fixing
Excellent
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 30, 2015
Excellent working conditions. Excellent benefits,Great supervisors who mentored and helped with all aspects of the job. Quota's were clearly stated and met. Security of all clients information was of the utmost importance, and treating people with respect a high priority..
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Home visits sometime took you to unsafe area's, while working alone.
productive and safe work enviroment
COURT OFFICER I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 22, 2015
The best part of this job is learning new things each day, no day is the same. Meeting new people from colleagues to patrons also makes the day more interesting.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
no cons
Decent benefits.Poor management
state lab institute monkey (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 5, 2015
Only thing going working for the state is the benefits and flexibility. Poor management, only concerned with their pockets and absolutely no room for advancement due to "budget" however every year management finds money for themselves.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
management, no room to advance
Excellence in Public Service
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 4, 2015
The Commonwealth represents the best in public service. There is good management, sound financial controls and high expertise for employees relative to their jobs at all organizational levels. Yet, the human touch is maintained with a warm, welcoming environment and collaboration between disciplines.
Pros
Human touch combined with good management.
Cons
Too many Patriot fans.