Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews in United States

Lpn for Dept Developmental Services
LPN Dept Developmental services (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MAJuly 16, 2016
Working with disabled people is nice. That's the end of the pros. When they told me there is the possibility of mandatory OT they didn't tell me it was a common staffing practice. I get forced OT 2-3 times a week for no less than 4hrs and often 8hrs so you better enjoy working 16hr shifts and not being able to keep any appointments in your personal life. The pay rate is awful but I wanted to help disabled people so I left my job and took this one even though they wouldn't allow me to do a walk through prior to hire. This was my mistake and I now regret it, I can't even take interviews because every time I have an interview I get forced to do mandatory OT causing me to not be able to interview and fix the mistake I've made. It's a nightmare. You can't have a family or a life with this position. You also will find yourself fighting to stay within your scope of practice and abide by the laws that govern your license since you are supervised by non-medical personnel who will treat you with disdain and show zero sympathy for the tremendous disruption their scheduling imposes on you or your family.
Pros
If you can make it ten years you will be vested in the retirement plan/pension, disabled people
Cons
Mandatory OT constantly, potential to put license in jeopardy frequently, working 16 hours with no lunch breaks, unpleasant and unprofessional organization
Great co-workers
Benefits Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAJuly 9, 2016
Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job is that the systems being used at MassHealth have never worked correctly. This makes the job very frustrating for every worker in the under 65 division.
Great networking place
Director of Constituent Services (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2016
Great place to build great network. Get to help people connect to governmental agency for services. Government and community relation liaison,
Pros
Great network place
Cons
Too many late night
Reasons to work here
Paralegal - State Board of Retirement (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2016
I have found my colleagues to be friendly and supportive and professional. When you are having a bad day or week, there are always people here to listen. The hardest part of my job is the inability to get answers to questions from management and overall job responsibilities are not challenging.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Commute
wonderful place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MA 02720June 11, 2016
good place with job security
wonderful colleagues
A place to gain advance experience
safety of independent cleint
staff and clients
Excellent compensation and benefits
Office Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 10, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Exceptional benefits and compensation. Good friends were made there. Job security was not what I thought it was.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Cons
stress
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 28, 2016
My days were eight hours and they were fun and enjoyable. The students were bright and ready to learn. My work was so enjoyable that I really enjoyed it very much. I have made lifelong friends and to me that is worth more than money can buy.
Pros
Great views of the city and shopping discounts
Cons
the travel to work
A place that helps you futher your education.
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
Great place willing to train you in different health care settings. Helps you find jobs within reach. However, the pay was very basic and you never got raises. Your schedule was flexed and sometimes you only found out the place you were going to the day off.
Pros
Trained you
Cons
Not enough money
High intensity work with little to no advancement.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMay 13, 2016
I LOVED my job. To prevent risk to the vulnerable, while keeping them safe was why I wanted to work everyday. I am a better person for having worked with some of my co-workers and vendors throughout my career. My job was most difficult when I could not provide the safety needs of an individual due to the decision making of my superiors.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no advancement position or in salary
Fun workplace
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex, MAApril 28, 2016
I spent many years here and developed a lot of friendships and lasting memories. I credit this position with helping me develop a lot of communication and people skills.
Enjoyed my Job
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 20, 2016
Loved my job. Great environment, constantly busy, and learned a lot.
Public service, greet and advised clients on hearings protocol everyday.
Excellent large scale enterprise environments
Senior Infrastructure Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2016
Many sites and organizations requiring experts. Many of the staff are extremely well trained and knowledgable in many areas of Information Technology and in particular Cyber Security.
Challenging but rewarding work.
Program Manager IV (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAMarch 23, 2016
The agency managed fifty five group homes throughout SE Massachusetts. It is a 24 hour, 365 days a year system that supported people in all aspects of life.
Empowering
REGIONAL HOMELESS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2016
Very fast pace work environment in helping low income families find emergency assistance. Extremely rewarding career, great colleague, and no work day are the same.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
no room for growth
Challenging work load, good working environment
Executive Office of Health and Human Services (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAMarch 5, 2016
End-User support of Windows 7 desktop and Microsoft 2012 server environments. User account maintenance and maintaining inventory.
A good place to work
Benefit Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 4, 2016
When I was reviewing cases and resolving issues over the phone I learned about a diverse population and backgrounds and no matter where you come from, an individual, at some time in life will need a hand to help, and I was happy to be there to do exactly that.

Management was very professional, reliable and efficient.
My co-workers were very friendly and professional.

The hardest part of my job was when I was not able to help individuals that were in need and were not eligible for any programs.

My most enjoyable part of the day was when I helped members and they were so appreciative, I could feel the relieve they felt to know that that problem was solved.
Pros
Professionalism, Team Work, Flexibility, Salary and Benefits
Cons
Not enough manpower
Busy and rewarding
director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2016
Working in the public sector is a unique opportunity to see how goverment works. Prior to state service I built 3 businesses from the ground up with over 100 employees. I enjoyed the opportunity to work in the public sector.
Pros
Great benefits
Great start
case worker (tracking and program) (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAJanuary 17, 2016
I started my career with the Key Program. I was an outreach and tracking case worker but my position was cut and Key offered me hours at two different locations (temporary old Methuen and a worchester program) until a full time position opened at Old Methuen. I spent majority of my time at Old Methuen but did bounce back to tracking and over to the boys program before moving to a supervisor position at the ALP. After Key I was a VWA with the DA's office and currently I am a Probation Officer.

Although I have not worked for the Key Program for years now I use the skills I learned there in my work everyday. The caseworker position in programs and tracking is a difficult position to say the least but you learn more skills not only about working with difficult people but more importantly about yourself. If you can survive in your time as a caseworker you can do anything. Working in other positions since I have skills that I learned from Key that just many of my coworkers now have yet to learn. I could not encourage anyone more to start as a caseworker whether an internship or a job. With that on your resume and the skills you learn. You will make a successful in this field.

To this day some of my best friends are the people I met at Key. You go through an experience unlike any other and a support system that will bond you for years beyond Key. Whenever I have needed help, resource, reference, etc. Key is my first call.

Along my travels I have come across former clients and I have not hesitated to ask about their time in Key as they have moved on, aged out, grew
  more... up etc. Many will tell you Key was a turning point in their lives. Key has many many success stories some large, some small, some personal, some professional. But as you meet people in all different positions in this field many ...many... have started with the Key Program.

After the long nights hours and days the tough shifts.. I miss it sometimes even to this day. And if you are starting a job in this field - Key is a great place to start, learn, and grow.
Pros
Learning, growing, relationship building with coworkers and clients
Cons
Terrible hours, long shifts, you eat with the clients
Since I worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I would say, overall, it was a rewarding experience.
Program coordinator/consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston and Quincy, MAJanuary 14, 2016
Having worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 37+ years, I gained insight into myself, my coworkers, and how government works or doesn't work. I made many long-lasting personal relationships. Most of my administrative jobs were tedious...part of the job itself...attention to detail was prerequisite. Management was sometimes good...sometimes not very helpful or encouraging. Most of my coworkers were terrific...hardworking, fun, and generous. Without them, work would have been very hard. The hardest part of my job was downtime...nature of the job. I don't like sitting around doing nothing. The most enjoyable part was joking with close coworkers (friends) and working together to get a job done.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Downtime, tediousness of certain tasks, people who don't do their jobs.
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2015
RCC was a great place to work. I enjoyed the interaction with faculty and staff. I meet so many good people at the College.
Pros
Cons
Politics

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews by Location