Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Not for people seeking to grow
former employee (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 28, 2016
Very stagnant workplace with many outdated policies and a breakdown in business processes and operations. Inefficient and unclear expectations. Favoritism and no incentive to do the best job possible. EVERYONE gets a raise despite the work produced. Not for me.
Pros
I met some great people, vacation/sick time accrual and 2 personal days off
Cons
refer to my review
Rewarding career as a public servant.
Director of Investigations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 27, 2016
Always a fire to put out, high stress and fast paced. Short timelines in which to complete projects and reports. Very rewarding career. Working with a diverse staff and clients was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
Working with a diverse group of staff and clients was an enjoyable experience.
Cons
Long workdays and short timelines.
Youth Service Worker
Group Worker (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MASeptember 24, 2016
Overnight staff. Sick of the terrible hours and negative atmosphere. We work with locked up kids so the mood here can be depressing at times. Some of the kids are violent to each other, themselves or us. Everyone does their best to work as a team, but it is still a heavy job at times.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Negative Atmosphere
5 starts
Residental Suprvisor (Current Employee) –  Webster, MASeptember 20, 2016
I have been very blessed to work for the commonwealth they rate 5 stars in all areas. I am responsible for 8 people with physical and intellectual disabilities, I over see 25 staff who I am responsible for as well. The biggest thing I have learned is patience. My co-workers are amazing people we have to work as a team in order to provide our individuals the best possible care that we can. The hardest part of my job is when we lose someone that we have cared for for many years. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping somebody achieve something they never thought they could, the joy and pride on their faces is priceless it's an amazing feeling.
Pros
Good Health Insurance
Cons
Essential Personnel/You have to report to work during blizzards, bad storms ect.
more security measures need to be intact
Group Worker I - Detention officer. (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 19, 2016
dangerous environment
should have riot control tools and measures.
free meals
dirty
sufficient time off
good pay but we should get paid closer to what Correctional officers get paid due to the population that is housed at the facilities.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons
no official breaks, dangerous environment.
Political warfare
LPN (Former Employee) –  southeast regionSeptember 10, 2016
Job proposals are based on the people you know and whether or not you will keep your mouth shut when something happens. It was like starting junior high all over again. The inexperienced are hired through family and friends and the experienced are given less than satisfying work loads, jobs..
WARNING: You are going to be pushed out somehow if you make their work harder/know too much/aren't part of the cliques, etc... They would rather do nothing and steal money from the government than to have someone do their work. Mediocracy is best in that department.
Pros
Benefits, Lunch breaks
Cons
politics, lazy, inexperienced
N/a
Benefit Eligible & Referral Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2016
I most certainly can elaborate via telephone or in person, thank you again for the opportunity to apply with your agency/company-- With appreciation, Thank you
Good place to work and career advancement. Enjoyed working!
Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2016
Good place to work and career advancement. Enjoyed working with my staff of seven employees and managing them.I was responsible for managing a budget of $ 200 MM, Single audit, monitoring 24 non profit organizations and payrol alloctions.
Like a roller coaster.
Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Worcester County, MAAugust 22, 2016
Difficult working with a state agency as they are more focused on budget aims and public opinions. Working with the population that we worked with had many variables and could not change their behaviors over night. Often services needed were not available when needed our insurances would not pay for it. Workers were often put in dangerous situations without back up.
However, the clients could be the most appreciative people and your co-workers were your most supportive friends in a crisis they never let you down. You could never predict what your day would be like as your clients where so unpredictable and meetings could be scheduled without you knowing. You learn to be very flexable and so much about the personalities of people.
Pros
Steady work, pay check, health insurance, retirement
Cons
High caseloads, high expectations, not enough support
Pleasant and productive work place
Program Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MassachusettsAugust 15, 2016
Typical day at work is pleasant, work and interact with co-wokers on various projects as well as work independently to complete other assigned tasks.
Pros
pleasant workin conditions
Cons
short lunch breaks
A great place to work
Assistant Manager, Accounting Department (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 12, 2016
A rewarding experience. Wonderful work associates, great environment and the hardest part of the job was all the computer programs. Very challenging and state of the art. Will receive support and professional development.
MicroManagement
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 5, 2016
just do your job keep your head down and stay away from the gossipers and you will do fine.
Learned a lot have to deal with people thinking you were taking on their jobs. Could not help some people as they were insecure they would yell at you. Very hostile environment management allowed some people to be abused and when brought to management they tried to turn it on U.
Some teams were not professional at all. Management on power trips. I wish I had my old boss back he was awesome. He retired
Pros
alot of down time
Cons
watch your every move
Lpn for Dept Developmental Services
LPN Dept Developmental services (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MAJuly 16, 2016
Working with disabled people is nice. That's the end of the pros. When they told me there is the possibility of mandatory OT they didn't tell me it was a common staffing practice. I get forced OT 2-3 times a week for no less than 4hrs and often 8hrs so you better enjoy working 16hr shifts and not being able to keep any appointments in your personal life. The pay rate is awful but I wanted to help disabled people so I left my job and took this one even though they wouldn't allow me to do a walk through prior to hire. This was my mistake and I now regret it, I can't even take interviews because every time I have an interview I get forced to do mandatory OT causing me to not be able to interview and fix the mistake I've made. It's a nightmare. You can't have a family or a life with this position. You also will find yourself fighting to stay within your scope of practice and abide by the laws that govern your license since you are supervised by non-medical personnel who will treat you with disdain and show zero sympathy for the tremendous disruption their scheduling imposes on you or your family.
Pros
If you can make it ten years you will be vested in the retirement plan/pension, disabled people
Cons
Mandatory OT constantly, potential to put license in jeopardy frequently, working 16 hours with no lunch breaks, unpleasant and unprofessional organization
Great co-workers
Benefits Eligibility and Referral Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAJuly 9, 2016
Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job is that the systems being used at MassHealth have never worked correctly. This makes the job very frustrating for every worker in the under 65 division.
Great networking place
Director of Constituent Services (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2016
Great place to build great network. Get to help people connect to governmental agency for services. Government and community relation liaison,
Pros
Great network place
Cons
Too many late night
Reasons to work here
Paralegal - State Board of Retirement (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2016
I have found my colleagues to be friendly and supportive and professional. When you are having a bad day or week, there are always people here to listen. The hardest part of my job is the inability to get answers to questions from management and overall job responsibilities are not challenging.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Commute
wonderful place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MA 02720June 11, 2016
good place with job security
wonderful colleagues
A place to gain advance experience
safety of independent cleint
staff and clients
Excellent compensation and benefits
Office Support Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 10, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Exceptional benefits and compensation. Good friends were made there. Job security was not what I thought it was.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Cons
stress
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 28, 2016
My days were eight hours and they were fun and enjoyable. The students were bright and ready to learn. My work was so enjoyable that I really enjoyed it very much. I have made lifelong friends and to me that is worth more than money can buy.
Pros
Great views of the city and shopping discounts
Cons
the travel to work
A place that helps you futher your education.
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2016
Great place willing to train you in different health care settings. Helps you find jobs within reach. However, the pay was very basic and you never got raises. Your schedule was flexed and sometimes you only found out the place you were going to the day off.
Pros
Trained you
Cons
Not enough money

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews by Location