Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Amazing staff
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2017
The State Treasury has an incredible staff that puts constitutes first. The management and training are interactive and one of a kind. Each individual strives to do their best for the commonwealth.
Challenging place to work.
Supervisor - Sharp Transition Program (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMarch 15, 2017
Give staff daily assignments.
Count and pass out medications at the start and end of shift.
Supervise 5 staff and 24 residents.
Follow a timed scheduled for school and meal times to maintain safety and security.
Organize activities for residents.
Hand out discipline when needed.
Keep a detailed log for head counts and other important information.
Fill schedule for overtime.
Fill in when needed to help complete payroll.
Monthly supervisions of staff.
Pros
Set schedule and state benifits.
Cons
Difficult clients and way too much forceable overtime.
Working with the public in a law enforcement capacity was an exciting challenge.
Police officer (reserve) West Spfld (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAMarch 9, 2017
I learned and was trained in keeping not only myself safe and free from harm , but also the inmates while giving care was a great experience.I was introduced to many different types of street drugs that people use and learned the different stages of detox and treatment. Assisting people at the worse times of there lives and also helping people in need and making a difference was very rewarding.
Commonwath of Massachusetts is a great place to work and I like working there
Mental Health Worker I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 8, 2017
I have been working for the past five years and I'm happy with my current position. Commonwealth of Massachusetts nice place to work. I encourage anyone who is looking for a job to apply.
my review
Office of the State Comptroller (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the office. I got along well with my coworkers. I feel like I was able to accomplish a lot with my time spent at the office. I recommend this job.
Mental Health Worker - house manager
House Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 26, 2017
Lots of micro management ! , other agencies or residences have less micro management .. There are many trainings , which is helpful to do the job , you feel good when the clients move on and you know you had a part to do with it ...
Pros
Caring staff Good benefits
Cons
Micro Management --
Good work/life balance
Rate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2017
Not much room for advancement but safe job with good benefits. Salary escalates pending on how long you work there. Administration has been great. Work flow comes in bunches.
I can set my own hours
State Certified Instructor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJanuary 17, 2017
It was a great place to work, setting my own schedule and learning to work with diverse audiences. The travel was convenient and according my my availability.
Pros
Setting my own schedule, meeting new people all the time
Cons
Not getting enough hours
Fast paced with great opportunities
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 3, 2017
Never settle strive for greater opportunities. Opportunities for promotions are usually given to current employees allowing room for growth.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Benefits, unions
Good workplace, liked helping people
TEMPORARY CLERK III (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MADecember 14, 2016
To me the job was rather simple and my supervisor found additional things over my grade to keep me busy at my request. The way I organized what I was doing finished job according to description after about 1/2 day, even when on mail assignment. This was after only a couple of weeks. The co-workers were quite pleasant and many were sorry to see me go. The hardest part was sometimes understanding very heavy accents and the telephone for the deaf. I enjoyed being of help to people.
Great workplace
CORRECTION OFFICER II (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, MADecember 4, 2016
It is a great company to work for with great pay and benefits. I learned supervisory skills and how to maintain professionalism.
Interesting
Case Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Belchertown, MANovember 30, 2016
The day was never the same. Every day in a court setting brings about different out comes. There is no such thing as a "cookie cutter" definition to Small Claims cases or to the Criminal cases.
Dept Youth Services
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Dept of Youth Services, Worcester County, MANovember 30, 2016
Lack of uniformity statewide, management paid well-promoted without experience or education. gangs, murderers, raypist, home invaders, armed robbers control the programs. No staff support, staff injury. low pay 4 work compared adult cor, prob & parole. Not under Public Safety and joke to police, probation & corrections.
Pros
State benefits, but you can get same at any state agency
Cons
too many to mention, daily forced ot, unpaid ot, bodily injury, kids NEVER charged
decent employment
Social Worker Bers AB (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 27, 2016
Loved my job,sometimes mgmt had no idea what it took to get the impossible done or did not care .Paid me enough to keep trucking. My average caseload was about 1000
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Overworked and pushed to do impossible
State government position provided job security
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 13, 2016
State government jobs offer job security and training opportunities for advancement. My co-workers were friendly team members.
My supervisor was fair and considerate of the employees whom she had responsibility.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Travelling in traffic was stressful.
Offered a some opportunity for career growth but was opaque
Consulting Project Manager - Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2016
The flip side to the growth equation was an environment of very frequently changing priorities and stakeholders. I found it difficult to execute effectively on projects since there was little transparency in executive level decision making.
Small office
Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Barnstable, MAOctober 30, 2016
Great office to work in, Great Benefits.
Everyday is different as to what is done. Out in the community adds flexibility to schedule. Exposure to all aspect of the cape &islands from legal, community based organizations, mental health, elders, youth, children and schools.
Benefits
Cons
Growth limited
Not for people seeking to grow
former employee (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 28, 2016
Very stagnant workplace with many outdated policies and a breakdown in business processes and operations. Inefficient and unclear expectations. Favoritism and no incentive to do the best job possible. EVERYONE gets a raise despite the work produced. Not for me.
Pros
I met some great people, vacation/sick time accrual and 2 personal days off
Cons
refer to my review
Rewarding career as a public servant.
Director of Investigations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 27, 2016
Always a fire to put out, high stress and fast paced. Short timelines in which to complete projects and reports. Very rewarding career. Working with a diverse staff and clients was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
Working with a diverse group of staff and clients was an enjoyable experience.
Cons
Long workdays and short timelines.
Youth Service Worker
Group Worker (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MASeptember 24, 2016
Overnight staff. Sick of the terrible hours and negative atmosphere. We work with locked up kids so the mood here can be depressing at times. Some of the kids are violent to each other, themselves or us. Everyone does their best to work as a team, but it is still a heavy job at times.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Negative Atmosphere