Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employer Reviews

Very dull workplace, slow-paced
Toll Collector (Former Employee), Springfield, MAJune 13, 2013
Pros: the amount of breaks we received.
Cons: very secluded in a box, no engagement with people for long at all.
Handing out tickets/collecting toll fare from patrons. Management was very helpful at all times when needed. I didn't really work to closely with employees, everyone pretty much had their own booth. No hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part was how laid back the job was.
A wealth of knowledge is gained by working with such outstanding professionals.
Personnel Officer II (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 5, 2013
Having worked at the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with thousands of employees, I am uniquely qualified to work in any aspect of Human Resources under the Human Resources umbrella: coordination and co-facilitation of trainings, staff professional development, employee relations, labor relations, implementation of strategic policies and programs, identification – more... of organizational needs administration of employee benefits, workers' compensation, Diversity, ADA and performance management.

It is time to put the "Human" back in Human Resources. A happy employee is a productive employee. – less
typical government atmosphere
Attorney General (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 22, 2013
mundane abiding by rules atmosphere, employee get togethers were depressing, constantly being reminded of code and rule from another cubicle was exhausting and depressing.
Rigid Workplace
Field Auditor (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 17, 2013
Pros: great benifits
Cons: hard to advance
Very ridgid work enviorment, more of a who you know than what you know organization.
Productive and engaging
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), NorwoodMay 13, 2013
• Mowing and maintaining company grounds including snow removal
• Weeding, whacking, planting and growing flowers
• Maintaining large parking lots
• Patching potholes with cold patch and some hot top asphalt
Make sure your greasing the right hands..
ACO (Former Employee), Essex countyApril 29, 2013
Pros: you get a badge
Cons: the employment it self
I worked in the judicial branch. And it's full of back stabbers and cheats and liars. They say you have to live in the state of Ma. To work for them but that's not the case if you grease the right hands. Everyone is out to protect them selves there is no one willing to take blame If something goes wrong. Just pay attention to the nightly news reports. – more... Improperly trained personnel.
What I learned was always watch your back.
Management is a joke. The judges are are the same there either asleep during a trial when there on the bench. Or making wise cracks at the defendants under there breaths to the court personnel.
The most enjoyable part. Not much to enjoy when your under so much stress. Just don't take advantage of any of there free employee services... – less
Great advancement possibilities
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 15, 2013
Consistently working towards diversity growth. I've learned from management how to effectively communicate, and understand project management in a team setting.
Great management and trial experience
Trial Attorney (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 14, 2013
The days were either in court or preparing for litigation and trial. I learned a great deal about litigation and how to conduct a trial. The management was very supportive and knowledgeable. The co-workers were extremely supportive and easy to get along with. The hardest part is the stress of litigation. The most enjoyable part was winning a hard-fought – more... trial. – less

– March 20, 2013

About how long does it take to hear from the Commonwealth after you the job posting closes? I am applying for an attorney position.

Rewarding place to work
Disabilities Services Worker (Current Employee), North Grafton, MAFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: chance you can be mandated up to 16 hours at a time
Great benefits and rewarding work. The benefits; union membership, health, dental, and eye insurance, sick leave, compensation days, vacation time, and the opportunity to earn over time, make the pay rate worth it.
Fun work place
Intern (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: long lunch breaks, and accomplishing tasks myself
Cons: interoffice pressure, time limits, and stress
Responding to emails, phone calls ( in and out), and projects for my boss.

I learned that I can handle more then I though I was capable of.

Management was good.

Absolutely loved my co-workers, very positive environment.

Learning time management was hard.

Knowing more in the technology field than my co-workers, and teaching them something new!
Fantastic job
Engineer Aide/Draftsman (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: watching land being transformed to highway
Cons: working behind bit-conc trucks in the summer
Learned about building of highways from surveying of proposed area to completion of highway
A very busy and interesting place to work.
Benefits Eligibility & Referral Social Worker A/B (Current Employee), Chelsea, MAJanuary 18, 2013
Although my job keeps me busy I made some great friends at work.
Job Instability
Youth Worker (Former Employee), Western RegionJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: hours and pay
Cons: poor management
Note that job is state funded! Should fiscal issues arise your position will be cut in the most crude way. Position is driven by the amount of juveniles in custody. Juvenile custody levels remain low. The company "motto" commends the reformation of youth however there is no real rehabilitation.
stable job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: politics
I enjoyed my time working for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
ay, benefits are good
Correction Officer (Former Employee), MCI Cedar Junction - WalpoleJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: the enviroment you work in
Not everyone can do this job. Dealing with convicted criminals is not easy, its a stressful and demanding job. Co-workers are great for the most with a few execptions, communication is not great with the line staff. The best part of the day is going home after your shift is over if you don't get forced overtime.
I don't really know
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Barnstable, MADecember 20, 2012
Pros: people
Cons: hours
The job was great. the people were great, the hours were very few
type of work we do,protect public,an serve the public.
Court Officer (Former Employee), Gardner, MADecember 15, 2012
Pros: meeting people
Cons: the type of cases we see
check all cutodies from the police station,check the building for anything unusual.,protect the judge and all court employees.tell other court officer where ther working for the day.my goal was everybody goes home safe.thats a good day.meeting people.
I worked In Taunton at the ELectronic Management of health and Human services
Temporary (Former Employee), Taunton,maDecember 1, 2012
I worked as a temp.

It was the worst job I've ever held. I archived files that were old and full of mice excrements.
The employees status Quo was to do as little as possible.
It was like being in Jr. High all over again. The gossiping was ridiculous. If they spent more time actually doing their jobs, maybe something would get accomplished.
Enjoyed working in an independent professional atmosphere.
Executive Office of Labor & Workforce Development (Current Employee), Brockton, MANovember 19, 2012
I would go to work to call claimants and employers to get both sides of a statement and according to the law of mass make a decision on claims that needed to be processed by a certain time frame. My co-workers were all very helpful and informative in the process. Always willing to help. Very laid back atmosphere to work in. it is expected from not only – more... me but my peers to get the job done. Would not change it for the world. – less

trickey – December 20, 2012

It is Criminal for a former employee to file a flase claim what is the FINE for an Employer from lying to hold up a Claim bet Nothing

A great place to learn the ins and outs of social services work
Case Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 6, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: hign caseloads
The case managers at the Dept. of Mental Health were some of the hardest working and most dedicated people I have ever met or had the privilege to work with. Their commitment to clients was unwavering.