Commonwealth of PA Employee Reviews

good benefits
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 11, 2015
Not sure what to say. As long as you are healthy and have no children or other responsibility, it is a great place to work. Don't want to say anything why is my time being wasted?
Typical day at Polk Center
Residential Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Polk, PAAugust 31, 2015
Start your day by waking individuals and assist with personal hygiene. Make and serve breakfast. Escort individuals to work and day programs. Serve lunch and then provide some fun like playing ball or doing crafts. Then time to do daily paperwork...
Pros
You can have fun at work
Cons
breaks sometimes are not given due to lack of time
It's Prison
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Graterford, PAAugust 28, 2015
It is a maximum security all male facility. There were tough days and there were easy days. This place is unpredictable. I enjoyed working there for the most part. I learned a lot about people and I enjoyed talking to some inmates to learn their story. I also enjoyed trying to help inmates that were returning to the real world of how to cope and do things differently so that they would not come back to prison.
Pros
job security
Cons
maximum security all male prison
Fulfilling job and experience
Construction Inspector Superintenant (Former Employee) –  Easter PennsylvaniaAugust 5, 2015
Working there was fulfilling and fast moving as the state was downsizing its personell and I had to do the same jobs with less people, which lead me to develop techniques to maintain and complete the same work flow. So, all in all it was a very educational experience,
Work place environment
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 26, 2015
I process all incoming applications for benefits through the state. I have learned that there are many people within the county where I live who need some sort of assistance, whether it be with SNAP benefits or Medical Assistance. Management is great to work for and all the coworkers in the office are like family. I enjoy going to work every day.
Pros
great pay, great benefits
Not recommended
LPN (Current Employee) –  Wernersville, PAJune 17, 2015
Not reccommended. Don't apply Benefits are great but not worth what they put you through I would not recommend this job. That is all I have to say.
Accomplished my goal of retiring & earning a state funded pension
Supervisor/Monetary Unit (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAJune 9, 2015
After testing #4 out of 708 on the Civil Service exam, I was fortunate to be hired in the depths of the Recession by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Dept. of Labor on 1-26-2009 as a part-time Claims Interviewer, but after only a month or so, I was employed full time with the ability to work alot of overtime, which I did until the site closed on 8-15-2012 due to the high rental cost of the site whose 10 year lease had expired and the State made the decision to close the site.

Again, after testing #14 out of 619, I was fortunate to be hired by the Commonwealth as a part-time Driver License Examiner, but I never worked a day part-time, as I worked full time until I retired on 6-6-2015.

A typical day was hectic with an extremely high volume of calls at the call center and almost as many walk-ins at the license centers, but my co-workers were very professional and ready to assist all of our customers in a friendly, but efficient manner.

The most enjoyable part of the job as a Wage Investigator was when I uncovered a wage reporting error by an employer and was now able to make a payment to an out of work employee who had given up on receiving it.
State Position
Clerk Typist II (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 14, 2015
Easy with benefits. There is also the union. You have to be an idiot to get fired. They also will promote from within. If you are really liked they will create positions for you.
benefits
Cons
Pay is a little low
Independent and people contact with top managment officials.
Health Facility Quality Examiner (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 10, 2015
Working as a consultant dealing with state and federal regulations. Meeting with CEO of medical facilities and clinical staff regarding results of surveys and problems that the medical facility may have. Work independently or as a team. Dealing with people on a daily bases. Use computer skills with Microsoft programs. The most fun party of the job is travel and people contact.
Pros
Work independently with no supervision
Cons
Heavey workloads no time for breaks or lunch
The trainer was awlful
Legal Office Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 28, 2015
The trainer I has was jealous of me. Work there wasn't bad, just the one individual who was staffed there. Basic clerical work. Pretty laid back office to work in.
Pros
other staff memebers where cool.
Cons
jealous trainer.
Manged over 25 bank accounts
Fiscal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 30, 2014
A typical day was to call state liquor stores that may have had during the night before closing.
o call canks with any disocrpncies the store may have
Then to recpncile the informatoion.
filing bank statements
Pros
healthcare free parking
Cons
very leniant and layed back job. worked indepently
Slow pace, intense environment
Janitorial / Laundry (Former Employee) –  Waymart, PAOctober 2, 2014
A typical day on the job taking instructions from staff , cleaning, sorting, folding, putting away items.
great opportunities and leadership
State certified law enforcement officer (Former Employee) –  allentown paSeptember 25, 2014
wonderful career and grateful to have served. learned a lot and served proudly.
Interesting, Informational, Need to Know
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 5, 2014
Working for the State Parole Board was interesting and I was eager to learn how the system worked. A typical day on the job was making new release case folders and putting the information into a computer then assigning them to agents in their district. Updating files and interviewing parolees regarding changes in status, providing information to law enforcements agencies, judges, state and public institutions. Typing letters, memos, reports, travel permission slips, release orders, appointments and notes. I worked with a great team of six agents and a supervisor, and although it was a lot of work and my days were sometimes long, it was a service I had to provide. The hardest part of the job was orientation, when I had to visit the prisons, having to walk pass prisoners to get to the office area and the sound of the gates locking behind me. I enjoyed the experience of knowing how the system works.
Pros
benefits, medical, dental, vacations
Cons
it became depressing
Social Service Work
Energy Assistant Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 23, 2014
A stable position within the social services that requires both productivity and accuracy while serving some of the county's most vulnerable citizens.

I learned that your co-workers are some of your best allies and part of your team even in an environment where you are held personally responsible for whatever your assignments may be.

The hardest part of the job, at first, was navigating the myriad of personalities and learning how not to take situations personally; it has been enjoyable ever since.
Pros
many opportunities for advancement.
Cons
extended amounts of sitting required
Fun Place and advancement
Residential service aide (Former Employee) –  Ebensburg , paJuly 1, 2014
Great place to work friendly people, job training and great benafits
Pros
bidding for position upgrade
Cons
to far away at this time
Keeping Roads Maintenanced and Safe for Drivers
Class A Driver/ Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 22, 2014
Drive Snow Plow Truck
Tree Trimming
Cleaning of drainages and other road maintenance
Cons
seasonal
Productive and fast paced environment.
Energy Assistance Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 13, 2014
Processing applications for low income families who need heating assistance. Building a rapport with clients and utility vendors, as well as having high productivity. The best part about working for the Commonwealth was knowing that you could help a person(s) who were in dier need of assistance.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
seasonal
Fun place to work.
Intermediate Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 6, 2014
I enjoyed working there, it gave me the opportunity to meet people to learn a lot about the product. Everyone got along very well.
nice place to work,fun.
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hunlock Creek, PAMarch 14, 2014
Was a nice place to work,enjoy working with the people there.The managers there was helpful,I had fun working there which wasn't bad at all to work.
Pros
free lunch, dinner.
Cons
health benifit nice