Commonwealth of PA Employee Reviews

Working for the Commonwealth of PA
Clerk Typist III (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA for Pennsylvania State PoliceJune 27, 2016
I've been with the Commonwealth for almost 14 years now, but I am looking to get into an Administrative Support position within the school district so I can enjoy my summers off. I am very good at what I do and receive excellent reviews by my superiors, but I'm looking for change and something new and I love working with youth.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly people, great leave package
Cons
work year round and looking for a position that allows me to have my summers off
Too much waste
Fiscal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 2, 2017
Had to review and approve accounts payable invoices for the state including legal settlement payments. No room for advancement and no variation of duties.
Pros
Had a cafateria in the building. Nice team members
Cons
Could not hold up invoices for incomplete compliances
Good Organization
Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 24, 2017
Good organization to work for professional growth. It can be extremely busy especially around budget time but for the most part, it's a wonderful experience.
Pros
Learning different skills
Cons
Healthcare
This is a high stress job. Because the job a govemnent position, there is always the possibility that the facility where I work being closed.
Intermittent Intake Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 18, 2013
A typical day at work for me includes answering phones, reviewing claims, checking for eligibility and building new claims when needed. It also includes checking for compliance by the claimant while filing for benefits. I enjoy my co-workers. We try to support each other at work and share our knowledge of the job. I have learned a great deal about the laws as they pertain to the claims that I handle. The best part of the job is when I am able to help someone get the benefits they deserve. The hardest part is when we are required by law to release benefits to someone that we have proof has abused the system.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
driving distance and no parking provide. cost of getting to work.
Fast paced sometimes intense work environment.
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2013
This employer was comparable to past employer regarding job security and compensation. Caseload work is pretty demanding, last position held was in Call Center which required tolerance and patience with clients. Management focused on bottom numbers as opposed to quality and resolution of client's concerns or issues. Co-workers were generally very supportive and eager to share regarding familiar concerns.
Pros
job security.
Cons
lack of management support to workers.
Educational and Growth Supporting Environment
Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 5, 2013
A typical day was no lack of work and stressful and demanding but a good learning and work experience at any given time during the day. There was no lack of work to be done.
I learned various ways I could be of service to people and co-workers. There was no limit to what I could learn and do. I learned a new level of self-confidence.
Often management was as befuddled as the rest of us but often times came through with answers and extra help when needed. We were offered and took advantage of training opportunities that aided us in our daily work.
Co-workers were like any other workplace: good ones and bad ones with lazy ones and those who were willing to jump in and help.
The hardest part was making a decision when an issue lay right on the fine line between what should be done and what should not be done.
The most enjoyable part was I was helping others and making the process shorter and quicker in getting checks to them that were direly needed.
Pros
Benefits, being assistance to others, making a difference when it was most needed.
Cons
Stress levels.
Interesting, Informational, Need to Know
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 5, 2014
Working for the State Parole Board was interesting and I was eager to learn how the system worked. A typical day on the job was making new release case folders and putting the information into a computer then assigning them to agents in their district. Updating files and interviewing parolees regarding changes in status, providing information to law enforcements agencies, judges, state and public institutions. Typing letters, memos, reports, travel permission slips, release orders, appointments and notes. I worked with a great team of six agents and a supervisor, and although it was a lot of work and my days were sometimes long, it was a service I had to provide. The hardest part of the job was orientation, when I had to visit the prisons, having to walk pass prisoners to get to the office area and the sound of the gates locking behind me. I enjoyed the experience of knowing how the system works.
Pros
Benefits, medical, dental, vacations
Cons
it became depressing
Work place environment
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 26, 2015
I process all incoming applications for benefits through the state. I have learned that there are many people within the county where I live who need some sort of assistance, whether it be with SNAP benefits or Medical Assistance. Management is great to work for and all the coworkers in the office are like family. I enjoy going to work every day.
Pros
great pay, great benefits
Fun place to work
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 15, 2016
Good place to work, just no room for advancement. I've been there almost 4 years with no advancement. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the people that work there.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
No advancement if your a contracted employee
Client
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 1, 2016
State of PA was one of the client for IBM. It is not a different job, I was working at IBM and traveled to client.

Enhanced my skills in automation.
Team was great and helpful
productive and very successful job experience
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Houtzdale, PAJanuary 2, 2014
I loved this because I was abled to help people and also clean the building to the jerms away. It was fun being productive and showing leadership actually maintaining good relationship with the employer and employees.The hardest part of my job was trying not to worry about someone else not doing their job because it slowed me down from completing my duties.
Pros
free lunch, etc.
Cons
no benefits.
State Position
Clerk Typist II (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 14, 2015
Easy with benefits. There is also the union. You have to be an idiot to get fired. They also will promote from within. If you are really liked they will create positions for you.
benefits
Cons
Pay is a little low
Very fulfilling
Administrative Officer III (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 1, 2013
I was fortunate to experience a variety of positions with the Commonwealth and gain knowledge from several individuals I will carry with me throughout my life.
Pros
job security, benefits, advancement opportunities
Long distance for travel
LPN (Former Employee) –  Spring City, PAMay 10, 2016
Management do not treat you like a team and do not help in any way. Long way for me to travel to be treated in such a way. Did not feel like I was part of a team.
Pros
Great to work with veterans
Cons
Management was not kind at all.
Not recommended
LPN (Current Employee) –  Wernersville, PAJune 17, 2015
Not reccommended. Don't apply Benefits are great but not worth what they put you through I would not recommend this job. That is all I have to say.
All in all, I am lucky to be employed by the Commonwealth of PA
Purchasing Agent, I (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA 17104January 21, 2014
I have worked for Commonwealth of PA and I enjoy it all the years I have been there.
Pros
job securiity, benefits, quality of worrk
Cons
I didn, t have any negative experience
GREAT place to work
Clerk Typist III (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 21, 2012
Excellent benefits, great work environment and co-workers.
Pros
excellent benefits, great work schedule, free parking
Cons
n/a
It is who you know not what you know.
Consumer Services Policy Analyst 2 (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg PA PUCAugust 3, 2013
I worked for the Public Utility Commission and that agency is horrible ! They are on the buddy system to determine who gets hired and receives promotions. If you don't participate in their parties and stroke management's enormous egos you are considered a non team player and labeled so you can not achieve promotions anywhere in the state. Enormous favoritism and management is unapproachable to say the least. Stay in private industry because good work is not rewarded...
Pros
Retirement, work hours and days are good
Cons
Promotions are limited by management, sometimes coworkers are childish and immature
It's Prison
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Graterford, PAAugust 28, 2015
It is a maximum security all male facility. There were tough days and there were easy days. This place is unpredictable. I enjoyed working there for the most part. I learned a lot about people and I enjoyed talking to some inmates to learn their story. I also enjoyed trying to help inmates that were returning to the real world of how to cope and do things differently so that they would not come back to prison.
Pros
job security
Cons
maximum security all male prison
Productive and fun work place
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Dallas, PANovember 1, 2013
A typical day, doing wat it is that im ask to do for that day. I learned alot about the people i worked with, how to store food the correct way, how to put food away, and how to clean my work area corretly. The management was good there they showed me how to do what it was that i needed to and when ever i needed help with anything they was always there for me. My co-wokers was awsome they was there for me as well when i needed the help. The hardest part of the job for me was at the end of my shift when it was time for to leave cuz i just didn't want to. The most enjoyable part was just being there around a group of peolpe that had the same kind of energy as me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of PA. Our community is ready to answer.