Commonwealth of PA Employee Reviews

Working with a diverse group of employees
Administrative Officer I (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 26, 2017
I enjoyed working with all levels of employees throughout my 35 years.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a project come to completion.

The hardest part of the job is lack of communication.
Great atmosphere with opportunities to learn and grow
Income Maintenance Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAOctober 31, 2017
I processed apps/learned to be more effective. Management is very prof. Diverse culture. Met goals. Hard working 2 hrs from hm. Enjoyed client letters.
Pros
State-wide kudos for a job well done! Constant office parties!
Excellent Place to Work
Intermediate Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2017
The commonwealth is a good place to work, you learn a lot about different wines and where the grapes come from. The hours isn't bad, and the pay has increased.
Good to work for
DAY CARE LICENSING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2017
Good agency to work for, but not perfect. Some people make it hard for you to do your job. Overall regulations could use some updating to match the needs of children.
Pros
You set your schedule, management are helpful and understanding, build a rapport with outside agencies and providers
Helpful insight
Licensing Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 10, 2017
Working for the Commonwealth is nice because you have access to various different jobs in different fields and there is always room to progress. With that said it is also difficult in the current job I am at to have a flexible work schedule. The manager or supervisor you are assigned to makes a large difference in if you like the job or not.
Rewarding job
Bureau Director, Environmental Control (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 5, 2017
Supervised large group.

Responsible for mechanical systems in million square feet office space. HVAC and central pant management. Central refrigeration plant with heat recovery, 7,500 tons of refrigeration. Only one of three such systems worldwide.

Published piper on strategies for balance of plant efficiency and cost.

Developed and taught course on Facility Operation and Maintenance based on this work, for Penn State University.
Pros
Opportunity to lead and teach.
Cons
Bureaucracy sometimes limited innovation.
Great company for affiliation.
Licensed real estate agent (Current Employee) –  Bucks CountyAugust 29, 2017
Independent contractor affiliated with Real Estate Company. No benefits offered. Commission only on sales. Paid only when new home is settled.
Selling new homes for over twenty years. Banking background is a good foundation for real estate business.
Interaction with clients is positive and promotes more business.
Pros
Working with clients to purchase new home.
Cons
No salary commission only. No benefits.
Nice people with large caseloads
Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 6, 2017
Fielding calls from angry clients, I've learned a lot about visual diagnosis and assistive technology as well as new PC applications. I have also learned a new computer base and it's applications which pertain to the blind and visually impaired.
Pros
Union
Cons
Lack of adequate staffing
short review
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 7, 2017
A good place to work with good benefits. It requires a wealth of knowledge about numerous programs. But when you need answers there are desk guides and other methods that make it easy to locate information.
Pros
xx
Cons
xx
Great work/personal life balance
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 20, 2017
Typical day is 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. Lots to do so you will be busy but you are not expected to work past quitting time. Management provides training and career development. Work environment is relaxed with a business casual dress code. Jeans are allowed if you are not meeting customers or outside contacts.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
performance evaluations are one sided
Mixed bag of extremes
PA State Trooper (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 4, 2017
Typically uneventful days/weeks/months punctuated by moments of extreme physical or emotional stress. This is the nature of police-work. I chose a path in Reconstruction. Simple-minded supervision did not grasp that investigatory conclusions must be pursued using science. Conclusions are not to be formed prior to evaluating ALL evidence. Because I approached my responsibilities with a scientific perspective intended to acquire more and more evidence no matter its indications, friction was all-too-common.
Pros
Wide-ranging state-wide locales, Fraternal environment
Cons
Militaristic mentalities, no cost-of-living adjustments
Copa
Administrative Officer, CMS (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 26, 2017
Love the environment I work in as well as the people I work with which has been for 20 years. It is not easy when the administration changes. It can be stressful but it is expected every 4-8years.
Nice place to work but no room for advancement
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 17, 2017
Where I work, Dept of Environmental Protection, the majority of the people are awesome. There are some that think that they are above the law, so to speak, but all and all the people are great. Though I like my job it has become monotonous and there is no room for advancement at this particular location for my job title.
Benefits
Cons
Dealing with some difficult people
Typical Union Run Office Job
INCOME MAINTENANCE CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 12, 2017
This is pretty much a 9-5 job. You really have to believe in a social welfare system for it to be a good fit. My personal manager was great, and so was the next person up. But, I would say upper level management does not have you in their mindset. Most of the people are nice and easy going. You do have your normal set of slackers, so you will have to pick up the slack every now and then. It is union run, so they have a hard time releasing those that don't put in there fair share. I worked with a great group of quick thinkers so they were the most enjoyable part. The hardest part was the immense size of the workload.
great environment
UC Intake Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 3, 2017
Interviewed claimants by telephone and maintained computerized records of claims. Detected monetary and non-monetary issues and sent proper forms to both claimant and employer and refers the information to the Adjudication or Monetary unit for investigation. Managed claim records by issuing payments to eligible claimants, evaluated and released pending payments, and reviewed incoming forms.
Too much waste
Fiscal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 2, 2017
Had to review and approve accounts payable invoices for the state including legal settlement payments. No room for advancement and no variation of duties.
Pros
Had a cafateria in the building. Nice team members
Cons
Could not hold up invoices for incomplete compliances
Good Organization
Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 24, 2017
Good organization to work for professional growth. It can be extremely busy especially around budget time but for the most part, it's a wonderful experience.
Pros
Learning different skills
Cons
Healthcare
Proffesional and nice place to work
Fiscal Assistant/Timekeeper (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PASeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work involved many different tasks and interactions with patients, co-workers and insurance companies. I learned to communicate on many levels. Cooperation and respect between co-workers and other departments made the job a pleasant place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
not progressive
Client
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 1, 2016
State of PA was one of the client for IBM. It is not a different job, I was working at IBM and traveled to client.

Enhanced my skills in automation.
Team was great and helpful
Working for the Commonwealth of PA
Clerk Typist III (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA for Pennsylvania State PoliceJune 27, 2016
I've been with the Commonwealth for almost 14 years now, but I am looking to get into an Administrative Support position within the school district so I can enjoy my summers off. I am very good at what I do and receive excellent reviews by my superiors, but I'm looking for change and something new and I love working with youth.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly people, great leave package
Cons
work year round and looking for a position that allows me to have my summers off